Our castoffs performing

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was happy to see Clay go from a team performance standpoint. Love the dude as a Packer, but still happy we didn't re-sign him. Smiths are beast. Glad he's doing well with Rams though.

Cobb I wanted to keep, and I wish we still had him.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb, Matthews, and Nelson were crowd favorites. GM's have their favorites too and us brave internet typists skewer them each time they make an emotional decision.

- Cobb wasn't helping our offense anymore.
- Matthews was more of a liability than a help.
- Nelson gave up on the Packers and wasn't explosive anymore.

All needed to leave the Packers. Just because we cast off players, does not mean that they can't or shouldn't succeed elsewhere. Cobb is clearly benefiting from a strong running game in Zeke. Matthews is benefiting from that amazing DL in Los Angeles. Nelson is benefiting from the extra cushion on his tractor seat. It's a win for everybody and I am fine with that.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damarius Randall, 1st play by 9ers offense, performed a stunning matador... Olé!

TD.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Trevor Davis
Davis caught all four of his targets for 42 yards during Sunday's 24-21 win over the Bears.
Davis, freshly acquired from Green Bay, logged his first receptions as a Raider Sunday after only running the ball in his Week 4 debut and with the team. It didn't turn out too well as, just before scoring what would have been a go-ahead touchdown on a quick screen early in the fourth quarter, he had the ball punched out for a fumble.

D

Deleted member 6794

Is it the talent though? It feels like we struggle to get open receivers more than any team in the league. And the one constant has been Rodgers. I have never watched any of that 22 film or whatever it is called to see if receivers are flat out not open or if Rodgers isn’t getting them the ball

Taking a look at Next Gen Stats it definitely appears the Packers don't have any receivers atop the ones creating the most separation per snap:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#average-separation

Cobb I wanted to keep, and I wish we still had him.

Cobb wouldn't have been an upgrade over the receivers currently on the roster.

- Nelson gave up on the Packers and wasn't explosive anymore.

It was time to move on from Nelson but he didn't give up on the Packers by any means.

D

Deleted member 6794

You can word it however, but his energy, effort, demeanor, etc. left a lot to be desired after Rodgers went down in 2017.

True, Nelson might have given up on the 2017 season at some point but in my opinion it's way too harsh considering he did on the team as a whole though.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I think of castoffs performing I think Casey Hayward or Micah Hyde. I dont think
- Randall Cobb with 3 catches for 40 yard per game average and just 1 td
- Clay Matthews who has only been good at rushing the passer and has been bad at everything else and is now hurt again. I guess he could have been strictly a 3rd down guy but that is it.
- Damarious Randall who ranks behind both our current safeties

These guys are all what we thought they were. Guys on the decline of their career. Clay may still get some sacks but he was a liability everywhere else. Cobb will catch a few passes but nothing more than even an average slot wr.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb wouldn't have been an upgrade over the receivers currently on the roster.

Strongly disagree with that. Physical ability isn't what it was, but I won't discount chemistry with both Rodgers and the team. There is no receiver on this team I feel confident in making a play during a big moment other than Davante. Cobb would be another guy.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
I always thought the Packers got better when Sterling Sharpe had to retire. Favre had to spread the ball around more.

Funny, because I always thought that with a healthy Sharpe the Packers would have won two or three Super Bowls, instead of just the one.

In the 1994 season Sharpe had 18 TD's. Then his career ended.

In the 1995 playoffs, the Packers had a 27-24 lead over the Cowboys at Texas Stadium going into the 4th QTR. I think with Sharpe they win that game and go on to win that Super Bowl. Brooks was the #1 WR now and had big year, but, Ingram was the #2 WR that year and only had 39 catches for 469 yards, and Freeman was a rookie and had not yet emerged.

1997 they played that Super Bowl with only one good WR Freeman. WR Brooks was washed up by that point and only caught 3 passes, and Mickens caught 1 pass, so, outside of Freeman the other WR's only contributed 4 catches for 22 yards. Put Sharpe in there and they win that game.

D

Deleted member 6794

Strongly disagree with that. Physical ability isn't what it was, but I won't discount chemistry with both Rodgers and the team. There is no receiver on this team I feel confident in making a play during a big moment other than Davante. Cobb would be another guy.

Cobb in his prime would definitely be an upgrade over every other receiver aside of Adams currently on the roster. He's not in his prime anymore though.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I watched Clinton Dix in London last week and he looked like a completely different player.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny, because I always thought that with a healthy Sharpe the Packers would have won two or three Super Bowls, instead of just the one.

In the 1994 season Sharpe had 18 TD's. Then his career ended.

In the 1995 playoffs, the Packers had a 27-24 lead over the Cowboys at Texas Stadium going into the 4th QTR. I think with Sharpe they win that game and go on to win that Super Bowl. Brooks was the #1 WR now and had big year, but, Ingram was the #2 WR that year and only had 39 catches for 469 yards, and Freeman was a rookie and had not yet emerged.

1997 they played that Super Bowl with only one good WR Freeman. WR Brooks was washed up by that point and only caught 3 passes, and Mickens caught 1 pass, so, outside of Freeman the other WR's only contributed 4 catches for 22 yards. Put Sharpe in there and they win that game.
You might have forgotten Andre Rison.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I think of castoffs performing I think Casey Hayward or Micah Hyde. I dont think
- Randall Cobb with 3 catches for 40 yard per game average and just 1 td
- Clay Matthews who has only been good at rushing the passer and has been bad at everything else and is now hurt again. I guess he could have been strictly a 3rd down guy but that is it.
- Damarious Randall who ranks behind both our current safeties

These guys are all what we thought they were. Guys on the decline of their career. Clay may still get some sacks but he was a liability everywhere else. Cobb will catch a few passes but nothing more than even an average slot wr.
Don’t forget Mike Daniels, but, I can see how easy that might be...

Members online

Latest posts