Our castoffs performing

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews and Cobb have made an impact for their new teams, the former more than the latter. I liked the fact that the Packers were reluctant to resign any of our own at first as I imagined somebody was going to pay them more, but considering the money that they signed for, they could have been much needed depth at this point. Especially Cobb. When I didn't see us target a WR in free agency or the draft, that unwillingness to resign him seemed crazy to me.

I understand the idea that we want our young WR's to develop, but let's be real, apart from MVS, chances are slim that any of these players turn out to be anything more than 'sufficient' over the course of their rookie contracts. And even MVS can turn out to be just a guy when it's all said and done. Furthermore, imagine an edge rushing group of the Smiths, Matthews, Gary and Fackrell.

Of course this discussion is all about hindsight, but I am interested to see what your opinions are on the players that left.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good for Cobb, he was young enough that if he stayed healthy he'd do well. I always knew that. heck of a guy to have on your team and in your community. But by this time last year he was basically done for us again. He may not have been on IR all the time, but his level of play was always affected. No issues with letting either guy go.

I did not watch last nights game, but I have caught a couple other Rams games, or parts at least. Matthews didn't appear to be all that effective. Not garbage, but nothing I would pay much for either.

TEXPAC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay looked good last night. I heard he has 6 sacks already this year. I think that is twice as many as in all of last year? Still a good decision though.....

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was always against letting both of them leave. If there was a possibility of reduced contracts (and I believe there was), we should have kept them in. Coincidentally we are in a situation now where both Clay and Cobb might have made a difference.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb has topped 50 yards just one time this season. I don't think he's been that impact for the Cowboys

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay is doing better. Another example of better coaching. But he isn't that much better. He had 3 sacks called back last season as I recall. But it's the same old clay missing RBs as they run past him. It was time to part ways.

Reaction score
When players have to focus on Aaron Donald it also makes it easier for Clay to operate. Same thing with Cobb. You gotta worry about Zeke first, then Cooper. Cobb would have better chances

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every player released seems to have great value merits attached in those decisions by Gutes & Co.

Clay Matthews
Nick Perry
Randall Cobb
Mike Daniels
Josh Jones
Kentrell Brice
Reggie Gilbert
Justin McCray
Byron Bell
etc.

Not one of them is lighting anybody's house on fire.

H

HardRightEdge

Matthews and Cobb have made an impact for their new teams, the former more than the latter. I liked the fact that the Packers were reluctant to resign any of our own at first as I imagined somebody was going to pay them more, but considering the money that they signed for, they could have been much needed depth at this point. Especially Cobb. When I didn't see us target a WR in free agency or the draft, that unwillingness to resign him seemed crazy to me.

I understand the idea that we want our young WR's to develop, but let's be real, apart from MVS, chances are slim that any of these players turn out to be anything more than 'sufficient' over the course of their rookie contracts. And even MVS can turn out to be just a guy when it's all said and done. Furthermore, imagine an edge rushing group of the Smiths, Matthews, Gary and Fackrell.

Of course this discussion is all about hindsight, but I am interested to see what your opinions are on the players that left.
I picked up on the last 9 minutes of Rams/Seattle game last night. It was a bit of Matthews deja vu.

1) On the first play of the Seattle drive, Matthews looped inside clean on the pass rush, an OL got a hand on him for a little shove, and he whiffed on the sack. How many near misses like that did we see the last couple of years?

2) He was the victim of a dubious roughing call on what was eventually the winning drive, moving the ball from the Rams 40 to the 25:

https://sports.yahoo.com/los-angele...ussell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-034348326.html

Whatever officiating memo was issued in Matthews' Packer days has not expired.

3) Two plays later on 2nd. and 8, Seattle left Matthews unblocked on an inside handoff to Carson. Matthews was clean into the backfield and ran right by Carson on his way to Wilson. The play went for a 14 yard gain to the 9 yard line. Seattle reckoned he do what he did and applied blocking resources elsewhere.

4) 3rd. and goal on the 10. Matthews gave up edge contain crashing inside on a Carson run. Carson bounces the run outside; Matthews dives for his feet and whiffs. Another near miss we became accustomed to the last couple of years.

5) Matthews did something to himself on that dive because he left the game and was then shown walking to the locker room. He wasn't limping so it might not be a hamstring.

That said, his stat line for the season is pretty impressive through 5 games. Per pro-football-reference, 6 sacks, 7 QB hits, 5 hurries, 2 forced fumbles and a league leading 7 tackles for loss on about a 65% snap count.

However, if the above play sequence is at all representative of Matthews' season, something I could not confirm without breaking down all his snaps, he's hit or miss in a release-the-hound mode the Rams have granted him in which case its a combination of big plays and poor guesses and not particularly assignment-sure in creating his own assignments.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When players have to focus on Aaron Donald it also makes it easier for Clay to operate. Same thing with Cobb. You gotta worry about Zeke first, then Cooper. Cobb would have better chances

I think this is key. With support from Smiths and Blake...I beleive Clay would have been more productive even with us. Same with Cobb.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the idea that we want our young WR's to develop, but let's be real, apart from MVS, chances are slim that any of these players turn out to be anything more than 'sufficient' over the course of their rookie contracts,
I had liked the philosophy the Packers had of picking up big, tall receivers. But Cris Carter today said that tall receivers have a higher center of gravity, and don't run routes as well as the smaller guys. And Rodgers likes his WRs to run very precise routes or he won't throw to them.

H

HardRightEdge

I picked up on the last 9 minutes of Rams/Seattle game last night. It was a bit of Matthews deja vu.

1) On the first play of the Seattle drive, Matthews looped inside clean on the pass rush, an OL got a hand on him for a little shove, and he whiffed on the sack. How many near misses like that did we see the last couple of years?

2) He was the victim of a dubious roughing call on what was eventually the winning drive, moving the ball from the Rams 40 to the 25:

https://sports.yahoo.com/los-angele...ussell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-034348326.html

Whatever officiating memo was issued in Matthews' Packer days has not expired.

3) Two plays later on 2nd. and 8, Seattle left Matthews unblocked on an inside handoff to Carson. Matthews was clean into the backfield and ran right by Carson on his way to Wilson. The play went for a 14 yard gain to the 9 yard line. Seattle reckoned he do what he did and applied blocking resources elsewhere.

4) 3rd. and goal on the 10. Matthews gave up edge contain crashing inside on a Carson run. Carson bounces the run outside; Matthews dives for his feet and whiffs. Another near miss we became accustomed to the last couple of years.

5) Matthews did something to himself on that dive because he left the game and was then shown walking to the locker room. He wasn't limping so it might not be a hamstring.

That said, his stat line for the season is pretty impressive through 5 games. Per pro-football-reference, 6 sacks, 7 QB hits, 5 hurries, 2 forced fumbles and a league leading 7 tackles for loss on about a 65% snap count.

However, if the above play sequence is at all representative of Matthews' season, something I could not confirm without breaking down all his snaps, he's hit or miss in a release-the-hound mode the Rams have granted him in which case its a combination of big plays and poor guesses and not particularly assignment-sure in creating his own assignments.
I didn't think to check until now, but despite those gaudy Matthews stats PFF has him down for a weak 61.2 grade.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/clay-matthews/4949

That would suggest, perhaps, that there's been a lot of guessing wrong (as in the above sequence) to go with the guessing right. Not assignment-sure might be the overall take, assuming he has had assignments at all, given free reign to freelance perhaps. In that case, he would need to be right way more often than wrong. Highlight reels don't get packaged with low-light reels, unfortunately.

D

Deleted member 6794

I had liked the philosophy the Packers had of picking up big, tall receivers. But Cris Carter today said that tall receivers have a higher center of gravity, and don't run routes as well as the smaller guys. And Rodgers likes his WRs to run very precise routes or he won't throw to them.

Rodgers won't be able to be picky about who to target this Sunday.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... castoffs NOT performing.

With Matthews out more than a month with his broken jaw, many Rams fans calling for them to sign Nick Perry...

wow.

H

HardRightEdge

... castoffs NOT performing.

With Matthews out more than a month with his broken jaw, many Rams fans calling for them to sign Nick Perry...

wow.
When healthy he was a pretty good player. He was rarely that. His high snap count was 55%; only 2 of 7 years over 35%. If Rams fans are calling for Perry it's becuase he's another ex-USC name. He ended last seaon on IR with a knee injury of unidentified severity. I'm not sure I'd give him even 50/50 odds to play another NFL snap.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers would be better off with a bunch of completely average receivers and Rodgers couldn’t have a favorite
I always thought the Packers got better when Sterling Sharpe had to retire. Favre had to spread the ball around more.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the Packers would be better off with a bunch of completely average receivers and Rodgers couldn’t have a favorite

The Packers definitely benefit from having an elite receiver in Adams. They need more talent at the position next to him though.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it the talent though? It feels like we struggle to get open receivers more than any team in the league. And the one constant has been Rodgers. I have never watched any of that 22 film or whatever it is called to see if receivers are flat out not open or if Rodgers isn’t getting them the ball

Members online

Latest posts