Our Amazing Special Teams Play

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember the last time the Packers had a dangerous ST ('96?), but we've really established ourselves as a great team as a whole. This can be directly attributed to TT for drafting ST players later in the rounds of the draft (especially the 6th round this year).

I just found out today we are also the only team in the league that hasn't allowed a punt return or kick return for a TD this year. Pretty awesome.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...t,1,1624875.htmlstory?coll=cs-bears-headlines

A great Special Teams is definitely a sign of a team with great depth, ability, and athleticism. I'm loving our team as a whole this year, unlike previous years where we would have only had a great offense, marginal defense, and horrible special teams. Basically the Sherman years.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fox Sports gave it credit in their latest power rankings:
As fellow NFC division leaders Seattle and Dallas were bit by the upset bug on Sunday, the Packers avoided a scare of their own, running off 19 straight points to beat the Rams in St. Louis, 33-14. Brett Favre broke the NFL career passing yardage record, while the Packers secured a first-round bye for the first time since 1997. Favre threw for 227 yards on the day, while Mason Crosby was 4-for-4 on field goals, hitting from 44, 50, 25, and 46 yards. The offense is clicking, the defense is shutting everyone down, and the special teams are arguably the best in the league. What's not to love about Green Bay this year?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember the last time the Packers had a dangerous ST ('96?), but we've really established ourselves as a great team as a whole. This can be directly attributed to TT for drafting ST players later in the rounds of the draft (especially the 6th round this year).

I just found out today we are also the only team in the league that hasn't allowed a punt return or kick return for a TD this year. Pretty awesome.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...t,1,1624875.htmlstory?coll=cs-bears-headlines

A great Special Teams is definitely a sign of a team with great depth, ability, and athleticism. I'm loving our team as a whole this year, unlike previous years where we would have only had a great offense, marginal defense, and horrible special teams. Basically the Sherman years.

1996 was dangerous for opponents. Our STs were the best in the NFL. Desmond Howard was downright scary to punt to. You never knew when you punted if he would take it to the house.

Although we don't have anyone equal to Howard, as a team, we're dangerous. KRob will bust one. It's just a matter of time. And if I'm not mistaken, we have not one, but 2 punt returners who busted ones for TDs. :cool:

We rule.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 96 team was "special"
People forget that Don Beebe was the starting return man at the beginning of the year.
DH got his chance when Beebe got hurt. The rest they say is history!!!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know where our special teams rank, but they must be above average, and they are peaking at the right time, with Blackmon getting into the lineup and Koren Robinson getting up to game speed. I would feel even better about the special teams if Robinson hadn't tripped over his own feet at the end of that long kickoff return.

It's surprising that the Packers are the only team that hasn't allowed a return TD this season. That's a great stat. Mason Crosby has helped out with a couple of really nice tackles. And after a shaky start, Jon Ryan has punted the ball really well. He's 6th in net average and 8th in gross average, plus he ran for a first down agains the Vikings.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To re-state the obvious; If STs are special, it puts extreme pressure on the opponent. They are instantly at a disadvantage and that can be demoralizing to any team. Remember the look at the Patriots bench when Howard made the return for the TD in the SB? You could see the resignation in their eyes...they knew it was as good as over. And that's when I started to breath more easily. I couldn't be more pleased with the progress made on STs this year. Exciting stuff.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love our ST this year, Korey Hall is a freakin stud!, its abit crazy how recently our two gunners have been Brandon Jackson and Vernand Morency!
Also we got Tracy White to come back for the playoffs, captain, heart and soul of the Unit.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To re-state the obvious; If STs are special, it puts extreme pressure on the opponent. They are instantly at a disadvantage and that can be demoralizing to any team. Remember the look at the Patriots bench when Howard made the return for the TD in the SB? You could see the resignation in their eyes...they knew it was as good as over. And that's when I started to breath more easily. I couldn't be more pleased with the progress made on STs this year. Exciting stuff.

I remember that look. And I remember being in a sports bar watching the game. There were some loud, obnoxious Pats fans a few tables behind us, probably four or five of them. After that specific TD, I swear to you, not one word out of them for the rest of the game. they knew that was it. It killed their team's morale and it killed their fans' morale.

Members online

Latest posts