OTA news and tidbits thread..

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Well I don't like the fact that two to four parts of our DT rotation aren't cleared from OTA's even.. but hey it is early in the offseason, better to be wise hey.

Much to do about nothing... but looks like a MASH unit.. whom plays Radar?

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 05/20/2008

INJURED PLAYERS EVALUATED FOR PARTICIPATION

With a dozen days of on-field organized team activities (OTAs) set to begin Tuesday and continue over the next four weeks, the Green Bay Packers had their physicals on Monday, with several injured players evaluated to determine their availability to practice.

Three players -- defensive tackles Justin Harrell (back) and Johnny Jolly (shoulder), along with cornerback Will Blackmon (foot) -- are not scheduled to participate in any portion of the OTAs, but all three should be cleared for the start of training camp.

Six other players -- defensive tackles Daniel Muir (pectoral muscle) and Colin Cole (forearm), linebacker Abdul Hodge (knees), fullback John Kuhn (groin), offensive lineman Cameron Stephenson (calf) and tight end Tory Humphrey (ankle) -- will not participate initially in OTAs but are being evaluated on a week-to-week basis and could return to the field before OTAs conclude.

Defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee) may miss the first days of on-field work, but otherwise is expected to participate.

Among other players who ended last season on injured reserve, running backs Noah Herron (knee), DeShawn Wynn (shoulder) and Ryan Powdrell (knee), along with offensive lineman Junius Coston (calf) and safety Tyrone Culver (shoulder), have been cleared to participate in OTAs.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember, I think it was in 06, that people were having a fuss because Woodson and Harris didn't show for few OTA's or something like that. So keep that in mine when reading on some of these things.

Still it's FOOTBALL. Finally we get some action. :lol:

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Tidbit..

* The Houston Texans have signed TE Ryan Krause, who spent most of last season with the Packers.

That is all.. ;)

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. That bothers me. It also bothers me that KGB is hurt. We'll need some good pass rush this year.

Maybe we should have drafted another DL with our first pick. We seem to go through them like Elizabeth Taylor goes through husbands.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think any of this comes as a real surprise, except for maybe Harrell. I think most of these guys knew well ahead of time they would be held out. I can't seem to find exactly why they are keeping Harrell out, but I certainly would rather they err on the side of caution either way. I am not concerned about anyone else really. Tory Humphrey, meh. I like the kid from Maryland as the third guy at TE anyway. I guess my biggest concern is the possible loss of time for a fullback that needs to be part of two headed FB monster this season.

Reaction score
Finally, an OTA thread. :clap:

Blackmon is no surprise, but Harrell is. I just hope it's nothing too serious, and as PackOne said a precautionary measure more than anything.

Jolly I find interesting. When Jolly got injured last year, it seemed like an insignificant injury, and the Packers played it up to not be of much concern. From all accounts since, it was a pretty serious injury. I just hope it doesn't hamper John "I've never been on top" Jolly. He seems to have a knack for batting down passes. Definitely a key part of our DT rotation moving forward.

It'll also be interesting to see if Wynn can make it through the OTAs uninjured. That man needs to prove he has toughened up, and no time like the present.

Finally, nice to read that Hodge will be evaluated on a week-by-week basis. Seems like the best scenario given his injury and surgery last year.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's awful early......these injuries don't worry me. I bet if it was gameday weekend, most of these guys would be cleared to play. But why maybe set back their healing by putting them in harms way now?
Better to be safe then sorry.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:pop: Makes it somewhat difficult to get a good evaluation on a player if he's not on the field much and some of these guys have been hurt before as well. I'd guess Hodge has the biggest concern getting well and the fact that Harrell is again injured (Different injury?) makes one begin to wonder about his future.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember, I think it was in 06, that people were having a fuss because Woodson and Harris didn't show for few OTA's or something like that. So keep that in mine when reading on some of these things.

And they sucked *** the first half of the season. Coincidence? Maybe.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's awful early......these injuries don't worry me. I bet if it was gameday weekend, most of these guys would be cleared to play. But why maybe set back their healing by putting them in harms way now?

you got it.

why risk it now? if your aching rest up but watch and learn. they will be ok

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:pop: Makes it somewhat difficult to get a good evaluation on a player if he's not on the field much and some of these guys have been hurt before as well. I'd guess Hodge has the biggest concern getting well and the fact that Harrell is again injured (Different injury?) makes one begin to wonder about his future.

Harrell is the only concern and not because he's hurt again but because it's his back. Back problems can really hamper NFL players and if this is going to be a problem for him all year then the Packers might be in a bit of trouble at that position.

The rest of the guys don't standout as a shocker that they aren't playing. You definitely want to rest Jolly because he's your likely starting DT this year and he's coming off a injury that ended his season.

As long as they're ready for training camp things should be ok though. That's the most important thing.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:pop: Of course, you are correct Porky and that's why I posted the question on Harrell. Never heard anything about how he managed to have a back problem. Assume the Pack would definitely try to keep things of that nature a deep secret, weakens any possible moves they might make. Think GB has plenty of players to fill in, except at DT, that have proved they can play. If Pickett goes down we'd be up the creek without a paddle.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't care about who is banged up in friggin May.

Tell me who steals shows in practices. Tell me what young players are really impressing coaches. Tell me something IMPORTANT.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

you got it.

why risk it now? if your aching rest up but watch and learn. they will be ok
Thats right on!
Just keep in shape and be ready when training camp starts.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tell me who steals shows in practices. Tell me what young players are really impressing coaches. Tell me something IMPORTANT.

No one is allowed in practice yet, Trom. Today was supposed to be the first day for reporters, but practice was moved inside. I don't know why, I will assume weather. The next open practice is on May 29th. You will have to wait until then. McCarthy says the B-Jack is going to blow everyone away. That' important if you ask me.

Reaction score
According to McCarthy, Harrell had "minor" back surgery in the off-season, something was noticed as not being right early in the off-season.

That's kinda worrying, back problem is one thing but surgery is something else, no matter how minor.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Flynn really turning some heads.

Wouldn't be something if Flynn ended up looking better than Brohm or A-Rod?

I seriously doubt that will be the case though. A-Rod is ready.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tell you something important?

You left the iron on!!! :shock:

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:shock: Glad to hear that Tromadz; now please don't bother reading these posts or replying to them, save a lot of wasted space that way.

Members online

Latest posts