1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Hurricane Matthew and Haiti.

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Raptorman, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Folks, Hurricane Matthew is going to devastate Haiti. They still have not recovered from the earthquake. They are on the east side of the storm and that is the strongest side. When you or someone you know is going to donate whatever to help, please be sure they are a reputable organization.

Mods, move this when you feel it's appropriate.

• Like Like x 1
  2. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,014
  3. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +1,005
  4. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,627
    I don't have the link at hand but the Am Red Cross earthquake rebuild efforts in Haiti was a waste of time and resources. Something like only 6 houses for several million.

5. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,780
    I don't give money to anybody unless I can go do the work myself. Enough money was given to rebuild Haiti to 1st world standards 10x's over. I'm sure some people got new houses, but they don't live in Haiti.

6. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,627
    Not very flattering:
    http://www.npr.org/2015/06/03/411524156/in-search-of-the-red-cross-500-million-in-haiti-relief
    Giving money to the Am Red Cross is so ingrained into the population it is an automatic reflex when disaster strikes. Looks like they should re-examine things.

7. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,899
  8. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Any charities that help these poor people has got to be worth it.

9. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,899
    Right Mate.....but......there are a lot of charities out there that on the surface appear to be helping various causes. Sadly with some of them, for every $1 you donate.....only a small percentage of that ends up being used on the actual cause. The rest is "wasted" within the organization as they see fit. Always good to research the charity IMO.

One thing I do with charities that I give to is to immediately let them know that I should be removed from all mailing and/or call lists. I will remember to make the donation that I want to, when I want to. They don't need to waste resources (donated money/time) sending me countless reminders, calendars, etc. If they fail this simple task I am out....the good ones don't.

*Jumps off his charity giving stump* :D

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016