OT Breno Giacomini from Scouts.inc

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grade: 63
6'7", 303, 5.2

Strengths: Gets adequate hand placement, drives legs once in position and flashes the ability to sustain blocks. Moves well laterally when run blocking and can reach defenders lined up over outside shoulder. Takes adequate angles to downfield blocks and shows above-average range. Gets into pass set quickly, has an effective kick step and can beat edge rushers to the corner. Plays with a wide base and can redirect in pass protection. Shuffles feet well, locks out arms and can ride edge rushers past the pocket once locked on. Has experience lining up at tight end and can still line up there in short-yardage situations. Has good size and is tall enough to bulk up.

Weaknesses: Takes too long to coil punch, isn't explosive and doesn't jar defenders at the point of contact. Plays too high, hasn't shown great lower body strength and isn't going to drive two-gap defenders off the ball in short-yardage situations. Base narrows when gets into space, appears stiff at times and struggles to adjust to moving targets at the second level. Doesn't attack linebackers at the second level, needs to be more aggressive and struggles to sustain blocks on linebackers as a result. Lunges, isn't a great cut blocker and spends too much time on the ground. A lot to like about mean streak but will leg whip when gets caught out of position and can get flagged for it. Doesn't sink hips enough in pass protection and gives too much ground to bull rushers. Photographed making an obscene gesture towards the crowd during pre-game at Kentucky in 2007 and character is a concern. Started just six games during senior season and is inexperienced.

Overall: Giacomini arrived at Louisville in 2004 and played in 37 games (two starts) over his first three seasons (2004-06), taking reps at both tight end and offensive tackle. He finished his Cardinals career with four receptions for 19 yards and a touchdown, all in his first two seasons. As a senior, he started all 12 games at right tackle. Giacomini has the frame, nastiness and athletic ability that NFL teams covet at right tackle. However, he's unproven and a pre-game incident this year raises concerns about his maturity. In addition, he's a marginal drive blocker at this point so he a developmental prospect who needs to get stronger and work on his technique. With all of that in mind, Giacomini projects as a sixth round pick.

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a better prospect than the Sitton kid, but has character questions.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't call a 5th rrounder if he doesn't pan out, a "bust."

Well then I'll explain it to you. He may turn out to be a hell of a player much like Tauscher did. Or he might turn out to be awful (hence the word bust). Got it?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
"Isn't a great cut blocker"... interesting.

When you're 6'7, cut blocking is probably a pain.

When you're 6'7, you don't have to cut block.

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read another thing that says he's real mean and is a former LB in high school.

Here's NFL.com's writeup:
Pick Analysis:Giacomini spent time at tight end and on the offensive line in college, which you can see in his knee bend and athletic ability. He has exceptional size and decent speed. Giacomini loves football and has a passion for the game. He's a project but has a great attitude and promising skills.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arles said:
He was a better prospect than the Sitton kid, but has character questions.

He used an obscene gesture during pre-game, he didn't shoot anybody.

I know, right. You role through a stop sign and then you have some character questions. :lol: It's getting out of control.

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's some snippets from the interview:

(Are you an intense guy and can you explain Kentucky episode?) Yeah, I definitely, that was a mistake by me, but I take what I do with a lot of passion and so, that was a rivalry, but there was some stuff that just happened. That's a rivalry, and I was really amped up, really fired up on that day. It was just an emotional thing that I really couldn't control it at the time, but I've learned from that. It was a big mistake, I wish I didn't do it, but it happened and I suffered the consequences. It's something that won't happen again. I'm definitely an intense dude. Vocal dude. I really like to talk, get my team going, get 'em rowdied up, but I'm not all about talking. I like to show leadership by backing it up. So just playing my game, just doing what I do. But I'm definitely an intense dude.

(what do you have to do in NFL to make it?) Just continue to grow. I've only played basically one year at the tackle position, I feel like I have everything to learn, I've got to get stronger, my technique has to improve on everything -- pass and run. But I'm looking forward to it, you know? This is a game that I've learned to love -- I didn't love it at first, but I definitely do now, and I want to be the best I can be. I can still gain some weight, muscle, everything. I have to become a better player, not only for my team, but for myself. I've been working at it for too long to let it go.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
PackFanInSC said:
Plays TE and Tackle -- do we see any Tackle eligible plays coming??

I'm gazing into my crystal ball. I see a higher Red Zone percentage in the future. :pop:

Coach Philbin said they won't use him at TE.

We could always give him #72 and bring back the U-Bacon package... :p

I dunno why, but I really like this kid. I think he'll develop into something special.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I now remember hearing a little on this..

Linker..

Green Bay - - Breno Giacomini is a self-described "intense guy".

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

In his senior year at Louisville, the Cardinals 6' 7", 303lbs. right offensive tackle also displayed his moxy by flipping off 70,000 Kentucky fans in their home stadium. The incident brought Giacomini and Louisville some bad press, and resulted in him being forced to offer a written apology to Kentucky fans.

Louisville also lost to Kentucky, 40- 34.

Giacomini began at tight end for Louisville, then shifted to left tackle, before settling in at right offensive tackle.

The Packers drafted Giacomini Sunday in the 5th round (150th pick overall). He joins Cardinals QB Brian Brohm, also selected by the Packers, and former team mate and Packers right guard Jason Spitz, also a Louisville alum.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts