1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Osama Bin Laden Killed

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Matty Flynn, May 1, 2011.

1. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +495
    What's wrong with that? Maybe an openly gay special forces team in pink feather boas were the last thing Bin Laden saw!

2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,077
    Not looking to make this a political fight on a sports forum. This is a day all americans should be proud of as our country once set out to hold osama bin laden responsible for what he has done to America and finally we have accomplished that goal.

3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,077
    Now im not an expert on gays in the military but I would guess that while most people seem to imagine two guys going broke back on each other, the a decent amount of gays in the military are women.

4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,077
    wouldnt be the first time a navy seal wore a boa....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    I know, I just like to think of Bin Laden facing his own worst nightmare.

6. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    Thats what I'm talking about! If the whole seal team were dressed like that just to add insult to injury!

• Like Like x 1
  7. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,077
    yeah... I bet obama wanted to send Hilary in there too.

8. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Regardless of your politics, you have to give Obama credit for making the call. he could have chosen to not go in, he could have tried a less direct, but less dangerous approach, there are a number of things he could have done and he chose perhaps the most dangerous, but the one which would make the outcome most certain. I'll give him his props for that.

• Like Like x 5
  9. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,077
    exactly. He could have said it was too risky. Instead he said F*ck it, lets get that son of a b*tch. F Pakistan if they dont like it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    He could have authorized a desert one style debacle like Carter did in 79. While the seal team obviously risked the most it still took guts on Obama's part to make the decision and have to potentially explain to the nation why a bunch of guys died when they could have just shot some tomahawks at the compound.

It's always baffled me why so many people think Dems are weak on defense. WW1, WW2, Korea & Vietnam were all fought under Democratic administrations.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,077
    But really, big ups to the seals. Those guys are bad ***. I heard they are created in a lab from clays dna. they tried to use chuck norris's dna but it wasnt strong enough.

oh and this is the most american thing I could think of at the moment so I figured it worked.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdB1v6EtlSc]YouTube - Hulk Hogan theme song real american[/ame]

12. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Really? Gays and birth certificate?

Some of you guys are absolutely crazy. You let your politician side blind you. It seems to me that you, indeed, dislike him for no other reason than him being a democrat and you a republican.

This is so much bigger than democrats and republicans yet some of you can't see it.

And, as I said, I'm not from America, so I couldn't care less if a person is republican or democrat.

I do have some knowledge on the core principles, and I'm a mix of both. I dislike the biggotry of the republicans regarding lifestyle and the way the republicans do propaganda (gays and birth certificate being an example), but I absolutely side with their economic point of view, with reduced taxes and small goverment.

But I digress. If you fail to recognize Obama's role in this accomplishment because of his stance on gay military and doubt about birth certificate, you got your priorities mixed up.

Obama is the president of the nation. I admire you people for putting the president of the nation in a status above everybody else, that's patriotism, something brazilians lack. (not ufanism, patriotism).

The president of the United States had a major role in killing the most important modern symbol of terrorism and hatred. That should be above if he's a democrat or a republican.

In the same vein, the majority of the credit should be given to the heroes who conducted the operation. They were the ones putting their lives at risk to make the world a better place LITERALLY.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    I don't want to derail this from what was a great achievement to a political debate but Birthers strike me as similar to Crop Circle people. No matter the amount of evidence, they simply have too much invested in a certain viewpoint to ever come to any sort of logical conclusion.

Enough of that, back to how bad a**ed the Navy SEALS are...

14. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,077
    Sounds alot like this fringe group of former packer fans that follow a certain "retired" QB

• Like Like x 3
  15. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,063
    I am ecstatic that they got the son of a bitch once and for all. Congratulations to the Seals and the US Intelligence community and to the three administrations that this guy has tormented for the last 20 years. Good riddance to bad trash. One other thing to bear in mind, if you're comparing a militant Islam terrorist ... it has to be a comparison between Islamic terrorists and the Ku Klux Klan ... THIS is what we're talking about...and, it's not going away anytime soon.

In short, I'd have been happier if they had bent that MoFo over a table and flew a 747 up his ***....but, this will do.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    Eh, on the otherside, many Americans don't necessarily identify with either party. For them, it comes down to picking the lesser of two evils based on platforms come election time. I generally identify more with Democratic philosophies, but I was leaning towards McCain in 2008 until he made the worst move in presidential campaign history...naming Sarah Palin as his running mate. But for the most part, you're absolutely right, partisan politics make it near impossible for many things to get done in this country. Leaders get elected for all the wrong reasons.

17. Passepartout

Passepartout Happy Memorial Day!

Ratings:
    +18
    Let's enjoy this win. As there are more to come. As we got rid of the worst of the worst, IF NOT THE WORST!
    USA, USA, USA! Hats off to our troops that do their jobs and sacrifice so much.

• Like Like x 1
  18. PackCrazed4

PackCrazed4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +187
    lmao, perfect comparison :)

19. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +835
    While I am not a fan of Obama, I give him credit for making the decision to go in and get the MF. I really like the idea to bury him at sea because now they have no "Martyr shrine" of Osama to go to. I don't think the President is taking all the credit, I think he gave credit were it was due. And to the Seal guys, thanks.

As to the gays in the military, after being in for 22 years I can tell you this much, what I would be concerned with is the guy next to me going to fight like hell or run like hell. I'll take a gay fighting like hell over a straight guy running any day of the week. But that's just me.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Big E

Big E Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +106
    What really happened:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  21. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,015
    Huge kudos to those who gathered the information, to President Obama for ordering it done, and mostly to those who risked their lives to carry it out!

I have been following US politics and world events since the mid 1960s and I have been alternately deeply disappointed in each of the major political parties. As a fiscal conservative and social libertarian my views have been rarely represented in Washington DC. The dems favor spending way too much money, borrowing and raising taxes and the repubs favor spending way too much money, borrowing and lowering taxes (or not raising them). What they have in common has led this great country to the fiscal precipice we now face. As I've posted before, one billion is 1,000 million, one trillion is 1,000 billion, so one trillion dollars is a million million. And we are more than $14 trillion in debt and our debt is approaching 100% of GDP (gross domestic product). The federal government is spending about $10 billion per day (about 3.6 trillion/year) and we are borrowing about 40% of that. No matter your political affiliation this is INSANE and must stop quickly or we will find ourselves in the same condition as Greece.

As a fiscal conservative I am not a fan of President Obama (neither was I a fan of President G.W. Bush, who was/is no fiscal conservative). President Obama believes in bigger government and I believe in the opposite. The President and the dems have offered absolutely no leadership on getting our fiscal house in order. They didn't even pass a budget for the last fiscal year even though their party controlled the House, Senate, and White House. The President's speech on the subject was so devoid of specifics it appeared to be only a political speech. He and the dems, in a cowardly political fashion IMO, let the repubs "go first" so they could demonize them for political purposes, even after the President said precisely we should avoid doing that. Instead he had Paul Ryan (no matter what you think of him or his plan, IMO a fair-minded person has to admit he shows courage) sitting in the front row while he vilified him.

Having said all that, President Obama gets kudos from me on how he has conducted the war on terror (even though his administration doesn't like that term), not how they talk about it, but how they have conducted it. (I am not talking about the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, or Libya.) Guantanamo Bay is still open for business, as it should be IMO. The use of unmanned drones to kill suspected terrorists has escalated under the Obama administration. And while the administration abolished the use of enhanced interrogation techniques (AKA torture), the more evil (IMO) tactic of rendition is still being used. As I view jihadists as enemy combatants, I favor all of that. I also give the President credit for green-lighting the attack that killed bin laden without telling the Pakistanis - or any other country - ahead of time.

The tactics introduced by the Bush administration to fight jihadism aren't pleasant but IMO they are necessary for our self-protection. BTW, all those who vilified President G.W. Bush for his handling of the war on terror, including the Patriot Act, the use of Gitmo, the conduct of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, etc. need to 1) Re-think those opinions, or 2) Vilify President Obama equally, or 3) Be a hypocrite.

- - -
    BTW
    - President Obama promised to cut the deficit in half by 2013. Even after pushing through that ridiculous $800+ B "stimulus" bill (not to be confused with TARP).

- The latest Zogby poll shows after the release of Obama's birth certificate, 16% of likely voters still don't think he was born in Hawaii. The same poll shows 30% of repubs don't think he's proven he was born in Hawaii. No matter how you analyze that, it's not 50%. IMO a more apt analogy to the "birthers" who reside mostly on the right is the 9/11 "truthers", who reside mostly on the left.

Good point regarding past dem administrations but I may be able to help you out regarding the current administration. First, IMO it's how they talk about it. No more "War on Terror", instead it's "overseas contingency operations". And many viewed President Obama's apologizing overseas for America as being weak. More important than talk is action: AG Eric Holder, like another dem John Kerry for example, view jihadist terrorism as a crime, not an act of war. The result was Holder's attempt to give khalid sheikh mohammed a stage in New York City of all places to spew his hatred of America and the West during a criminal trial.

But IMO the most blatant example is this: As I posted above the Obama administration has not been shy about killing terrorists in Yemen, Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc. Unmanned drone attacks have been executed against suspected terrorists in those countries and collateral damage - the killing of innocents - is a necessary evil in such attacks. Of course no warrant is issued before-hand. The subjects of the attack, even if they are or were US citizens, are not given the right to defend themselves in a court of law. So if umar farouk abdulmutallab, for example, was in what our intelligence information identified as a Yemen terrorist camp, he could be killed without hesitation or justification, according to the Obama administration. (And rightly so IMO.) However, according to the same administration, once his flight from Amsterdam crossed over the US border, he suddenly gained the rights our great country affords to criminal defendants as he attempted to blow himself and the plane up over Detroit on Christmas day, 2009. To make matters slightly worse, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano declared our security system "worked". Perhaps we had secret "underwear bomb repellant" on that flight. If not… Anyway IMO it's this kind of foolishness as well as the dems association with left and far-left groups that hate the military that cause some to think the dems are weak on defense issues.

Sorry for the long post...

22. jojo90

jojo90 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    love how when anything happens in the world its a conspiracy lol

23. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,077
  24. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,836
    Lets all toast the heroics of our soldiers and the 'intestinal fortitude' of our leaders to pull the political trigger.

Here in Amish country we are toasting these accomplishments with a new drink called "The Bin Laden". Two shots and a splash of water.

25. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,836
    Bin Laden's son claims the killing was illegal.

Wait a second. Didn't UBL declare war on the US? Didn't he attack first? He won a battle or two, but in the end - he lost the war.