Orton over Rodgers

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Kyle Orton completed 6 of 10 passes against the Colts and drove the team 80 yards for the go ahead TD in the Bears 24-17 win. I tried to tell you that Orton was the better QB and Rodgers was over rated due to the 49ers being desperate for a franchise QB. They were the only team that thought that highly of him and drove up his pre-draft hype and that is why he fell so far on draft day. The Packers should have drafted a defensive player with their first pick.

I don't doubt that the Packers should have taken a defensive player with their first pick; however, no one saw Rodgers falling to 24 and he was the right pick and the right time. Surely, you aren't going to judge these two QBs after a couple of preseason games are you? I put more stock into your football knowledge than that, Phil. Besides, it doesn't matter who quarterbacks the Bears, he'll never last more than a few games without getting replaced. Last 200+ games, the Packers have had one starter at the QB position, the Bears have had 177. :twisted:

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man oh man. Rodgers against the Buffalo Bills first team defense vs. Kyle Orton against the Indianapolis Colts 3rd team defense. :roll:

Go post on a Bears board with your newfound knowledge.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol, the preseason of a rookie qbs first yr is such a great indicator of how successful they will be. :roll:

OP
OP
Philtration

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ORRELSE said:
Man oh man. Rodgers against the Buffalo Bills first team defense vs. Kyle Orton against the Indianapolis Colts 3rd team defense. :roll:

Go post on a Bears board with your newfound knowledge.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
He had not been impressive against anyone at all.

OP
OP
Philtration

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sixone220 said:
lol, the preseason of a rookie qbs first yr is such a great indicator of how successful they will be. :roll:
And playing like s**t is a good indicator of how good he will be?

OP
OP
Philtration

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Philtration said:
Kyle Orton completed 6 of 10 passes against the Colts and drove the team 80 yards for the go ahead TD in the Bears 24-17 win. I tried to tell you that Orton was the better QB and Rodgers was over rated due to the 49ers being desperate for a franchise QB. They were the only team that thought that highly of him and drove up his pre-draft hype and that is why he fell so far on draft day. The Packers should have drafted a defensive player with their first pick.

Last 200+ games, the Packers have had one starter at the QB position, the Bears have had 177. :twisted:
And favre playing 200 games makes Rodgers better than Orton? How?

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that it is better for them to struggle and seem confused eh? A sure sign that they will be a star.
Probably better than riding the pine in atlanta, failing your physicals and being traded to the Packers. Oh wait... ;)

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Passed over by teams with established starters at QB. If you will recall on draft day, it was predicted that if Rodgers got past the top 8 - 10 teams, he could fall to the Pack for lack of need on the teams preceeding them.

And yes, I can see how a Bears' fan might be excited about a QB that fell apart after a few very physical games. Should fit in well with the tradition rich position of QB in Chicago.

Bob Avalini, Bobby Douglass, and the 19 others that have run through the turnstyle since Favre became our starter.

OP
OP
Philtration

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Passed over by teams with established starters at QB. If you will recall on draft day, it was predicted that if Rodgers got past the top 8 - 10 teams, he could fall to the Pack for lack of need on the teams preceeding them.

And yes, I can see how a Bears' fan might be excited about a QB that fell apart after a few very physical games. Should fit in well with the tradition rich position of QB in Chicago.

Bob Avalini, Bobby Douglass, and the 19 others that have run through the turnstyle since Favre became our starter.

What does Avalini and Favre have to do with Orton and Rodgers? About as relevant as comparing Payton to ANY RB the Packers have ever lined up.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
I think that you have missed my point and maybe I did not state it well from the start. What I was trying to say was the Packers could have taken a defensive player at # 1 and picked up Orton at # 2. They would have been a better team now and in the long run.

Ted Thompson has gone on record saying he thought the best defensive player available was Nick Collins. The Packers had him atop the draft board. They got him. Getting Rodgers, who was the next best QB available in the draft was just icing on the cake.
If you think Orton is going to be better than Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers 5 years from now, you will be mistaken.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Little early to be deciding who the better player is. Orton racked up his 60% completions against guys that mostly won't be in the league when the season starts or if they are won't be starting. Granted Rodgers has not looked great but it is early.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not basing that opinion on the pre-season games. I made that same comment before any games were played. The Packers needed a defensive player a lot more than a QB. This was not Dan Marino they picked.

Phil, you need to check when Marino was drafted. I still look for Orton to choke in tough games like he did in college.

OP
OP
Philtration

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chad Hutchinson stunk up the place again Friday night. He completed just 3 of 14 passes for 33 yards and had one of two interceptions returned for a touchdown. Hutchinson also was sacked three times and fumbled once while registering an embarrassing 0.0 quarterback rating before being booed off of the field in Chicago.
Kyle Orton came into the game to replace this stiff and drove the Bears 81 yards while completing 7 of 9 passes for 74 yards to five different receivers capped by a TD to tight end Desmond Clark. This was against the same Buffalo Bills defense that you praised as great last week.
Orton has produced four touchdowns and four field goals on 14 possessions in the Bears' four preseason games.
Aaron Rodgers went 5-for-9 for 52 yards with an interception while playing with the first string for the first time against the Patriots.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
I think that you have missed my point and maybe I did not state it well from the start. What I was trying to say was the Packers could have taken a defensive player at # 1 and picked up Orton at # 2.

Your point seems to be "hindsight is always 20/20" and you might be right... if one is inclined to believe Orton is a far better prospect than Rodgers. However, I do not necessarily agree nor disagree with you. I think it is foolish to try to determine how well a given rookie's career is going to fare in the NFL before the regular season of their rookie career has even began. IMO, you will not be able to make a judgement on either of them until at least the third season of their respective careers.

Case in point: Where would Favre be today if everyone shared Jerry Glanville's opinion that he would never amount to anything in his rookie year?

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Aaron Rodgers went 5-for-9 for 52 yards with an interception while playing with the first string for the first time against the Patriots.

Against the WORLD CHAMPION New England Patriots. :-?

Look, I'm not making excuses for Rodgers, as he has looked pretty awful so far. But Phil, if you think Orton is the answer for the Bears, boy are you going to be disappointed. He's going to get killed once the regular season comes.
As I said last week, lets hold the jury on these two QBs. I'll bet Rodgers is head and shoulders above Orton as far as numbers 5 years from now.
Pre-season games mean NOTHING.

OP
OP
Philtration

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ORRELSE said:
Philtration said:

Against the WORLD CHAMPION New England Patriots. :-?

Look, I'm not making excuses for Rodgers, as he has looked pretty awful so far. But Phil, if you think Orton is the answer for the Bears, boy are you going to be disappointed. He's going to get killed once the regular season comes.
As I said last week, lets hold the jury on these two QBs. I'll bet Rodgers is head and shoulders above Orton as far as numbers 5 years from now.
Pre-season games mean NOTHING.
He will make mistakes like any other rookie and I can live with that because he can never be as bad as Chad Hutchinson is right now. Orton does not have to be better than Rodgers to make me happy and numbers are not what matters. Just look at your own legend Bart Starr for that one. Not the most impressive stats, just championship rings. The same goes for Tom Brady. Just be a good NFL starting QB or at least a very good back up to Grossman if that is the case. Orton should have never been in this situation so soon and it is all because Jerry Angelo is a moron.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has one big thing going for him, with Favre still here, P acker don't have to put Rodgers out prematurely like Bears are putting this rookie QB from Purdue out to face the wolves. He will get tested early and often. And it will not be vanilla preseason defense and backups & players going to be release before the regular season starts. it will be very interesting to see how the rookie does, and how he survives in the NFL.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
Orton got slapped up by the Badgers.
That's one way of looking at it ..... I guess!

Orton versus Notre Dame - Purdue wins....BIG!
Orton versus Penn State - Purdue wins again... :shock: ..NOT!
Orton travels to Madison, it was at Wisconsin, if I remember correctly...
Orton has the Badgers reeling for the first half of the game.... period!
Orton goes flying on a chance play and gets upended head-over-heels, with his wrist hitting the ground first - ball in that hand, then goes flying away, skirting across the ground just out of reach and (luckily) the Badgers recover.... I watched the game, too... In the process, Orton gets knocked up a little and doesn't recover his poise - gotta admit Badger Defense were mean-suckers at least with a hungry attitude.... Alverez style....

To be fair to Orton, he did get injured in the last part of his Senior year...
Also - during the Draft, I preached how GB should draft the guy...

I think he'll do just fine running the Bears Offense - it's almost old home week for the guy... This time around, the Packers will certainly have to watch shooting themselves in the foot. The Bears? ...should pay attention to protecting the guy, before he gets injured all over again... :roll: :!:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
IPBprez said:
SlickVision said:

lmao @ period

yea jus forget the other half of the game lol
No, I didn't.... go back and re-read... I state he got rattle around and I do believe he left the game, didn't he? The backup guy for Purdue was NOT anything like Orton, at all... and later on thru the season, Orton had more troubles and his Senior year faded due to injuries incurred in this game... Even Czabe relates it this way.... I think the Badgers got very very lucky against Orton. It really was just one play which broke the camel's back that season....

I also noticed you went around Orton smacking Notre Dame around...
Did the Badgers beat Notre dame last year...?

We're talking about the Bears having (finally) a viable QB at the helm, for probably the first time in practically a decade... and I surely wish the Packers had drafted this guy whether we got Rodgers or not.. let the two of 'em fight it out..... This way, they will only it's for real... When we play the Bears this Season, I would throw Rodgers in there against this guy for sport.... put it to the test... is he another Big Ben, or not.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
SlickVision said:
IPBprez said:
SlickVision said:

lmao @ period

yea jus forget the other half of the game lol
No, I didn't.... go back and re-read... I state he got rattle around and I do believe he left the game, didn't he? The backup guy for Purdue was NOT anything like Orton, at all... and later on thru the season, Orton had more troubles and his Senior year faded due to injuries incurred in this game... Even Czabe relates it this way.... I think the Badgers got very very lucky against Orton. It really was just one play which broke the camel's back that season....

I also noticed you went around Orton smacking Notre Dame around...
Did the Badgers beat Notre dame last year...?

We're talking about the Bears having (finally) a viable QB at the helm, for probably the first time in practically a decade... and I surely wish the Packers had drafted this guy whether we got Rodgers or not.. let the two of 'em fight it out..... This way, they will only it's for real... When we play the Bears this Season, I would throw Rodgers in there against this guy for sport.... put it to the test... is he another Big Ben, or not.

Gee here we go again. For the tenth time I do not follow college football. Do I have to give you a disclaimer for you to understand that? I seen one game and it wasn't even the whole game. WI vs Purdue. This 'Orton' guy was so highly touted and looked like a chump during the game. I wasn't impressed with that ONE game from the guy and that is the only info I know about the dude.

On the topic of asking lame duck questions. Did the West High Wildcats beat the East High Red Devils last year?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
On the topic of asking lame duck questions. Did the West High Wildcats beat the East High Red Devils last year?
Yeah, didn't the Red Devils win that one.....? LOL (goodun)

Truth is, I don't get the chance as often as I like to see more College games. Around our household, I have family that all went to Purdue and IU.. SO, I guess we focus more on those colleges. No big deal.. relax, keep yer pantyhose on..... :D

We were talking about Orton with some Bears fans down at the Gym today.. Everyone is sorta in limbo at this point, especially after so many QB's falling by the wayside year after year.... We'll see what we see...
Orton may actually be the real deal for Chicago after all. Who knows....

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts