Optimal #1

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who would be your #1 pick if you could get any player you wanted this year? (Not that you would pick at position #1, just that any player you wanted would be available to you at #27). Who would you take to make the most impact possible with that pick? Reed, Billings, Buckner? Tunsil? Jack or Ramsey?

Who would make the Pack a terror to play from week one?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tunsil. May be the best and safest pick. Should have a very long and effective career.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After further review, my pick would be Tunsil. We immediately upgrade our OL to one of the best. We protect Mr. Franchise, improve our passing and running games, we now have depth across the entire line and give great leverage in signing next year's FA's. More points, less pressure on defense.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea since I'm not looking at players that are clearly out of reach.
HRE-I think the exercise has value even if the actual prospects are not the same. Having outlined my reasons for Tunsil as my pick, I then ask myself, do the factors that drove this pick translate down to actual prospects available at our pick at #27? I think it does. While I see DT as a need, when I go back to the question, who would I take if I could have anyone, and why, then I see our need for a solid and flexible option at OL outweighs our need at DL. The hinge point I believe in my particular selection is whether the pick is an instant upgrade or not. I believe Tunsil is. However, if this doesn't translate down to who might be left when we actually pick, then the equation then changes as well.

For instance, if I get all that benefit from Tunsil, would the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th option provide the same benefits as he, if at a lower level of expectation. If not, does this then mean I get more return if I pick a DT at that point.

I think there is plenty of DL options in this draft to wait to get solid contributors where I don't see that same depth at OT. After last year's exposure of this weakness, and next year's coming lineage of OL FA's, I see this as a more critical need, now and long term and I think we can secure someone solid in Rd. 1 where it's more of a roll of the dice later on.

So no matter what your pick would be, the reasoning behind it should translate down to the actual prospects available, or at least, have a good chance of doing so.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I see DT as a need, when I go back to the question, who would I take if I could have anyone, and why, then I see our need for a solid and flexible option at OL outweighs our need at DL. The hinge point I believe in my particular selection is whether the pick is an instant upgrade or not. I believe Tunsil is.

Aside of the top quartersbacks most players projected to be drafted in the top 10 would be an instant upgrade over one the Packers starters at the position.

The defensive line and inside linebacker are the positions the team needs to desperately upgrade in the draft and because there's close to zero chance a offensive lineman a tier above every other player drops to the Packers pick in the first round I'd prefer Thompson addressing one of those.

H

HardRightEdge

HRE-I think the exercise has value even if the actual prospects are not the same. Having outlined my reasons for Tunsil as my pick, I then ask myself, do the factors that drove this pick translate down to actual prospects available at our pick at #27? I think it does. While I see DT as a need, when I go back to the question, who would I take if I could have anyone, and why, then I see our need for a solid and flexible option at OL outweighs our need at DL. The hinge point I believe in my particular selection is whether the pick is an instant upgrade or not. I believe Tunsil is. However, if this doesn't translate down to who might be left when we actually pick, then the equation then changes as well.

For instance, if I get all that benefit from Tunsil, would the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th option provide the same benefits as he, if at a lower level of expectation. If not, does this then mean I get more return if I pick a DT at that point.

I think there is plenty of DL options in this draft to wait to get solid contributors where I don't see that same depth at OT. After last year's exposure of this weakness, and next year's coming lineage of OL FA's, I see this as a more critical need, now and long term and I think we can secure someone solid in Rd. 1 where it's more of a roll of the dice later on.

So no matter what your pick would be, the reasoning behind it should translate down to the actual prospects available, or at least, have a good chance of doing so.
Looking at Tunsil tells me nothing about 2nd., 3rd. or 4th. round guys. We already know what a good NFL LT looks like from watching years of NFL football; we don't need Tunsil to help with that. Besides, he could confuse you as to what constitutes "elite" if what you're looking at is another Eric Fisher.

There is no way Tunsil will fall to the Packers unless 1) he injures himself, 2) he gets busted or 3) he fails a drug test. Even then, he may go high anyway depending on the degree of severity.

If you're looking for an LT, the question is what characteristic do those lower round guys have that suggest they could play in the NFL? Feet, 270 degree quickness, arm extension and a quick punch and grab (yes, you want grabbing so long as it is inside the pads), strength. And there are certain prototypes in terms of height, weight, arm length, hand size, bench press. From my perspective you're not going to get a complete package below a top 10 pick; I'd look first to the physical dimensions and then quickness with balance. Some technique issues can be cleaned up.

The problem I have with examining O-linemen below the first round is that tape is hard to come by. We're pretty much left with scouting reports and pundit analysis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts