OPP

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im not usually down with OPP (other people's pockets) but 27 a mil for Matthew Stafford? That literally makes Rodgers worth 30 a yr...at least! I hope Rodgers is at the point where he's willing to take less so that the Packers can realistically go after the top free agents so that he has legitimate chances at SB rings...then again, he may feel like TT can't sell the top free agents on coming to GB anyways, and take the money. One thing I know for sure is that when it's time to negotiate at new contract it's going to be some cray numbers .

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers himself has said he's still a few years away from renegotiating a new deal, so we got time to figure it out.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will not be surprised at all when he's got a new contract and it isn't as the highest paid player in the league. Rodgers is very smart and very calculated. I think he recognizes his long term worth will go up by taking just a little bit less so the team can be stronger around him heading into the later part of his career. By being the QB that took a little less so the team could be a little more will endear him even more to the nation of Packer fans. It's not guaranteed money, but it will be more over the long term if he's that guy rather than the one that sank the Packers because he needed to be the highest paid person in the NFL.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will not be surprised at all when he's got a new contract and it isn't as the highest paid player in the league. Rodgers is very smart and very calculated. I think he recognizes his long term worth will go up by taking just a little bit less so the team can be stronger around him heading into the later part of his career. By being the QB that took a little less so the team could be a little more will endear him even more to the nation of Packer fans. It's not guaranteed money, but it will be more over the long term if he's that guy rather than the one that sank the Packers because he needed to be the highest paid person in the NFL.

Let's hope so.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
What kills me is the 90+ million guaranteed. Just utter foolishness on the part of the Detroit Lions.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol at those of you that think he will take less money, when he gets a new contract, it will make him the highest player in the league, guaranteed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if it's in 2 years, yes, if it's an extension sooner rather than later, I guess we'll see

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
QB's like Stafford are handcuffing many teams. If you don't pay them, what do you end up with? But the worst part of it all is what its doing to the rest of the teams and salaries in general. Redskins franchise an average QB like Kirk Cousins and pay him $24M. Texans sign an unproven Brock Osweiler to a $72M contract, Stafford gets this......top players at other positions are being treated the same.....it's just nuts IMO.

I don't pretend to have an answer, the NFL is a business and operates in a "free market", free to do whatever they want. If the money is being generated and available, we may soon see a guy like Rodgers at $50M/year.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers and the Packers worked out a very smart deal the last time. They will do it again when the time is right. I don't jump up and down like they do on the fan shows every time another QB signs the richest contract. It's a part of football.

...then again, he may feel like TT can't sell the top free agents on coming to GB anyways, and take the money.
I believe this is the third time you've tried to peddle this non-sense in recent posts. Do you believe that the more you say it, the more others will believe it? Confusing Thompson's lack of utilizing free agency with what you said above only makes sense if you have proof.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers himself has said he's still a few years away from renegotiating a new deal, so we got time to figure it out.

With Rodgers being under contract through the 2019 season the Packers definitely shouldn't wait a few years to negotiate an extension with him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
QB's like Stafford are handcuffing many teams. If you don't pay them, what do you end up with? But the worst part of it all is what its doing to the rest of the teams and salaries in general. Redskins franchise an average QB like Kirk Cousins and pay him $24M. Texans sign an unproven Brock Osweiler to a $72M contract, Stafford gets this......top players at other positions are being treated the same.....it's just nuts IMO.

I don't pretend to have an answer, the NFL is a business and operates in a "free market", free to do whatever they want. If the money is being generated and available, we may soon see a guy like Rodgers at $50M/year.
It's all relative. As long as they don't exceed the percentage of the cap that they did with the last Rodgers extension, I'll be fine with it. In 2 years, We will be starting to replace a number of aging players with 18 and 19 draft picks so though his cap number I'd guess right now is probably getting to a historically lower percentage, a number of our current 8-12m players will be falling off the roster I'd expect.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's all relative. As long as they don't exceed the percentage of the cap that they did with the last Rodgers extension, I'll be fine with it. In 2 years, We will be starting to replace a number of aging players with 18 and 19 draft picks so though his cap number I'd guess right now is probably getting to a historically lower percentage, a number of our current 8-12m players will be falling off the roster I'd expect.

There will be other players currently on their rookie contracts demanding to be signed to lucrative second contracts though.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And all along I thought that Hundley was over-valued if he attracted more than a 5th rounder in a trade. The Lions just blew that theory all to hell. Stafford is a good QB but not THAT good.
What is the correlation between Stafford and Huntley?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stafford got top pay because he is in the upper tier of QBs and has proven it. He certainly isn't the best, but the NFL has proven that especially at QB you don't need to be on top to get the top pay. It's just the nature of the beast.

Hundley was being "hyped" as trade bait by the media, possibly at the backroom urging of Packers mgmt. If a team ran into a Teddy Bridgewater type of situation, and Hundley had lit up the field, one could bet that we would have discussed a trade option. Then again, Hundley was just hype based upon speculation. Stafford may not be top 3 but he is the real deal. He could be even better if he and Rodgers swapped teams, but he still wouldn't be AR.

D

Deleted member 6794

Stafford got top pay because he is in the upper tier of QBs and has proven it. Stafford may not be top 3 but he is the real deal.

Stafford hasn't proven to deserve to be the highest paid player in the league by any means as he hasn't even won a single playoff game during his career or being able to beat teams with a winning record.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with the Lions giving him that much money :) To me, Stafford is in that group of QB's that isnt' terrible, but he isn't in that league of the top 4 or so. I'm not even sure I can come up with 4 anymore. Rodgers, Brady, then Ryan and maybe Luck, though he seems to make a lot of mistakes, but maybe injuries have played a role. I don't pay close attention to the Colts. Wilson maybe? Then the rest, Flacco, Manning, Stafford, decent enough QB's, they don't suck, but they don't carry a team either. Pay them like they do for all I care, and when it's time for them to carry you, they can't and you'll have nobody around them.

Members online

Latest posts