1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion - Why do some people cross the line of Murder

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Pack93z, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    I know the details of the answers are case specific, but in the native sense of the question.. How can someone cross the line that ends in taking anothers life?

Do believe the studies in which the brain produces a reaction that allows a person to cross such a line?

Is society to blame? Meaning have we as a planet lost such basic principles that mimizes the act?

Or is it just a basic law of nature, where some beings are more aggressive and kill on impluse or to be the dominant one?

I know there is no proven answer, but curious of the opinions or viewpoints. Personally I can't fathom the idea of taking anothers life without a threat upon my own or family.

2. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm guessing on this, but I think some folks do not value human life. They are missing something in that noggin of theirs. Or you might say, missing something in their heart.

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Well....you asked my opinion....so i'll give it. To me, things took a drastic turn in 1972, when we as a nation made it legal to kill unborn children. From that point on, how do you draw the line at anything? If it's ok to kill someone that hasn't even done anything wrong to anyone yet, then anything goes.
    Plus, the shoving of the theory of "evolution" down kid's throats as "fact" instead of what it is, all just a made up story. That puts human life on the SAME exact level as any animal's life. After all, we just "evolved" different, right? Evolution teaches there is no superior being to answer to in the end.........so anything goes.
    Plus it's the false sense of importance that every kid is taught in school. "YOU are special! YOU matter! YOU have rights!"
    Instead of how i was taught "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Love your neighbor as you love yourself. YOU have responsibilities and there are consequences for your actions".
    See the difference? Most kids i see today are selfish and self centered. But they are TAUGHT to be that way, and that there is nothing wrong with it.
    Then we wonder why we get worse and worse every year violent crime wise. Pretty easy anwers if you ask me.

4. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    While I don't necessarily agree with your evolution bit, I do agree on the time frame. Around the time of Vietnam, military training tactics were changed drasticly from WWII training. Instead of shooting at a bullseye, the military changed the target to the shape of a human head. The percentage that a soldier would fire in combat jumped from about 25% to 95%(Note: statistics are not perfectly clear in my memory. :D )

I think many times, emotions get the best of people and they fire out of panic.

5. PackerFreak

PackerFreak Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it has a lot to do with how kids are being brought up these days. A lot of single parent homes that either dont take the time to raise their children correctly, are at work all the time to make enough money to support thier family or just dont care. Gangs are getting out of hand in America and more and more kids are hooking up with gangs to fell a sense of belonging. I believe in Christianity and thats how I live my life and raise my son. But thats just some of the reasons. There are so many Pack93z that this thread could go on forever. Its a shame.

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    How true..............the "gang mentality" has taken over. And if parents DO care and try, the kids hear from their friends "Dude....your parents are so strict! You don't have to listen to them!"
    So they join up with punks, that make them THINK they care about them. Reality is, these gangs would slit their throats if it means they are safe. They will sacriface someone else to protect their own life.

7. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I totally agree!! I think when kids turn bad the blame should be put on those parents, I know we as parents can only do our best to raise our kids. If you keep an eye on your kids and give a crap about them usually they turn out pretty good, they all still are going to make mistakes we hope not big ones. I will give people advice that my Mom gave me, DON'T EVER stop talking to your kids, be there and actually listen to what they are saying and talk to them about anything and everything and they are NEVER to young to know whats going on in this world today. I for one NEVER had a problem talking to my son about anything sex, drugs, jail, their rights, parents rights. One thing that I told my son, if you deserve a spanking on your butt you will get one, and if you ever call the cops on me then I will tell that cop to take you and to raise you I will wash my hands of you. This worked with my son, because he also knew whatever I said I meant, I followed through with. Parents cant say they are going to do whatever and then NEVER do it you have to follow through with your threats. Now there is a line between abusing your kids and disciplining your kids. I never believed in grounding or giving your kids a time out, I believed in the word NO, if I said NO I meant it. I have been a parent first in my Son's life then a friend that he can always come to no matter what. If we give our kids guidelines when they are little and sticking to them, and again NEVER stop talking to them.

I have a great Son, one who is there for me whenever I need him, he has a great heart and has never been in trouble. He doesnt go to parties and when he does which is maybe once a year he will call me to come and pick him up because maybe he had two drinks and I have taught him NEVER to drink and drive ever. I am so very proud of him, he has grown into such a caring person. We have been through so much together, I always know what hes thinking and he always knows what I think. Now I am NOT going to say that we never have argued because we have, and I will be the first to let him know if I was wrong, but again he will know it if he is wrong as well.

When I look around and see some kids today, I think I have it pretty easy and I am very lucky. My son has always told me I should have had 10 kids because I could have kept them all in order. He has also always said that when he has kids the best person to raise them would be me. That makes me feel like I did my job with him. Again I tell him I raised you, I will help you with your kids but I wont raise them, I raised my child now its your turn.

Anything kids are taught these days are from the parents or sometimes say parent. They are the ones that teach their children right from wrong, they are the ones that have to be there to talk, to love and just to listen. Be close to your kids because they grow up so fast and before you know it they are out on their own. But then you can be proud of the job that you have done with them. I was made to be a Mom, I love my job as Mom. And again I am proud as punch to have my son.

8. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    75% of men in jail don't have fathers.

9. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Because sometimes slappin a bitch just isn't enough.

10. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh......they HAVE "fathers", what they don't have is DADS.
    If a boy has no male person to look up to, they usually end up in gangs and with the wrong kinds of influences, looking up to the wrong people.
    Too many men father kids, then walk away.
    Once again......it's todays "hooray for me, and screw you" mentality. Theres no consequences for people's actions.

11. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I have no recollection of my father and I have not seen him since I was about 3. I think I grew up alright. I don't take drugs or smoke and I rarely drink. I've done well at university and it's about to pay off for me.

Although society plays a large role in it, it's ultimately up to the person to decide his/her fate and make his/her choices. Sure, a lot of people grew up in slums or came from an impoverished background. But some people make successes of themselves and some people end up OD'd on the sidewalk.

People choose the lives they live but not necessarily the circumstances in which they live it. And I am of the believer that one can improve or worsen the circumstances surrounding their life by the choices they make. For this reason I do not really pity drug addicts, murderers, gang members, or such.

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh....i agree Engineer. Ultimately, it's up to the individual to decide which path they take. It's not an excuse that "my dad wasn't there", but it is much easier to turn out ok if you have those good influences around you.
    Even having just a strong mother or a big brother can help to mold you into a good person.

13. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well said.

Goes to show, we all have free will

EVERYONE has obstacles to overcome, and you'll see some people overcome those obstacles and some people make excuses.

I do not pity drug addicts, murderers, gang bangers, and such either. These people eventually start to effect other people other than themselves. That's when I'm glad when I hear a story like that 62-year-old man who shot two thugs dead with a shotgun who were breaking into his neighbor's house. Take 2 thugs out of the gene pool and you have a better society. These guys had long criminal records, and were here illegally to begin with (this is from another thread).