Opening Day!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It *is* surprising that the Packers only kept 8 lineman there. But the guys they have are very versatile and often interchangeable. Now that the coaches have seen where Sherrod fits best, the line will be pretty static and solid, I believe. In the preseason there was a lot of experimenting going on with Sherrod and various position swaps. That won't be happening during the regular season. But, yes, there is a concern if one of the starters goes down.
What I'm going on is the lack of protection I saw in the preseason, not the numbers. Yes they did a lot of experimentation with the OL but we also had guys playing special teams that are now looking for jobs. I hope the OL has it's act together because the Saints will be coming after Rodgers.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Example of NON-smack talk on this forum.
"Hey, Packer fans. Looking forward to our match-up. Going to be a great game. May the best team win."
If you want to make predictions about how great your Saints are and how they're going to kick Packer butt, do it on a Saints thread where you people all think alike. Not on a thread where we know how silly you really sound.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And you don't create much of an environment for meaningful exchange when you come on here and say we are going to win 42-17.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think it's going to be a close game. And I also think both sides are going to play sloppy. But to come here and pump your chest out, predict a beat-down, get set straight over and over, then start trying to come up with excuses from 2008 and last year. Come on dude. Pump the brakes and enjoy the game.

If that initial prediction is what you really think; if that was more than BS bravado, I would looooooove to hear how you think the Saints O could hang 42 points on our D and how your D is going to hold our O to 17. Really? I mean, really? We're returning nearly the same defense as last year.

We lost Jenkins but are returning Burnett. The highest point total we gave up last year (including the entire playoffs) was 31 to NE, 26 to Detroit, and 25 to Pitt in the SB. And you see NO hanging 42? OK....

I'm still hoping for an answer, Saints fan.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously? Have you every heard of Drew Brees, Marques Colston, Lance Moore, Devry Henderson, Robert Meachem?

How about Pierre Thomas, Darren Sproles, Mark Ingram?

If not, those names will haunt your dreams Tgursday night!
I've heard of the first two guys and Meachem. Sproles? wasn't he that little **** in SD that can no longer fill his britches? Ingram? isn't he a rookie? You are banking on him against the Packers run defense?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Last year the Saints only lost 2 veterans from the '09 Super Bowl season to FA: Scott Fujita & Mike Bell.

If your are basing how the Packers will do this year based on that, you may be greatly disappointing.

The difference, as I see it, is in the fact that the Packers won the Super Bowl without some of their super stars whom they now have back from injury. Jermichael Finley alone is going to provide a nightmare choice for defenses. They have to decide if they will double Finley or Jennings. Double one and ignore the other at great peril. So they presumably will have to run a lot of defensive packages with extra defensive backs, thus weakening the front and giving a consistent 1200 yard rusher room to roam.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year the Saints only lost 2 veterans from the '09 Super Bowl season to FA: Scott Fujita & Mike Bell.

If your are basing how the Packers will do this year based on that, you may be greatly disappointing.

I'm not basing how they will do this year on how they did last year. If it worked that way, every team would have the same record every year. I am just asking for some justification for your oh-so-bold prediction, even just the tiniest bit!!!! So...

Still waiting for an answer. I am beginning to feel like you don't have one.

Even if your justification is "Well, I'm not that into football so I can't back up the stuff I say," that's fine. Then we'll know to not take you seriously and everyone will leave you alone.

Reaction score

You only lost 2 people, but you also didn't have the second youngest team when you won it like we did.

When the Saints won they were..... You guessed it!!!

The SECOND OLDEST TEAM in the NFL!

The Packers will have multiple years of being Super Bowl contenders, whereas, the Saints were on the last 2 or 3 years of being true contenders. Our chances have greatly increased this year to repeat, whereas the Saints chances decreased.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Saints signed Shaun Rogers and Abukato Franklin, both are well known as run-stuffers.

I noticed you didnt mention signing Mark Ingram.

FYI, the Saints only lost against the Ravens.

FYI you forgot to mention the Saints gave up 200+ rushing yards against the Ravens.

And Shaun Rogers barely played last year, nor did he help the Browns much last season. That's not a promise he will help the Saints.

I didn't have to mention Ingram. Saints have 4 RB's on their roster. That fixes their rushing problem but so far we don't know about your defense and the running game. That was also their problem in 2009. Great team and while they can shut down the pass, they have hell shutting down a run game.

Why don't you explain how you're going to whoop our ***** 42 to 17 before throwing up a prediction like that. I actually pull for the Saints quite a bit since this is my folks' tea, but I also see how flawed they are.

Reaction score

And don't get me wrong... Just like Bogart and many Packers fans here, I respect the Saints and have them as one of my favorite NFL teams.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
No worse than comparing the Saints going into the playoffs last year with virtually all of our RBs on IR

We won the Super Bowl missing our starter RB, missing many other keys to our offense, so that's NO EXCUSE!!!
You guys were pretty banged up too but you had no depth at roster as I said earlier. I really don't buy the RB excuse. Reggie Bush was overrated, and even when the Saints had Ivory and Thomas, you still seen Brees putting up 35-50 passes per game. They even said last year the Saints percentage of running the ball was the LOWEST in their franchise history. We lost our starting running back and we still tried to run it when we could. I know they have 4 good RB's on their roster now, and I believe Brees is one of the best quarterbacks in the league, but if they have him putting up 35+ passes every single game then something is wrong.

The Packers proved you can win a Super Bowl all banged up missing players left and right.That also throws the Steelers theory out the window from the 70's "We only lost to the Raiders cause we were missing both our backs". Saints did not build depth to their roster going into last season, after a Super Bowl win. The key to repeating is having good players to back up the starters late in the season think back to the 49ers great depth at position in the 1988 and 1989 Super Bowl wins.

OP
OP
SaintsWillWin

SaintsWillWin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FYI you forgot to mention the Saints gave up 200+ rushing yards against the Ravens.

And Shaun Rogers barely played last year, nor did he help the Browns much last season. That's not a promise he will help the Saints.

I didn't have to mention Ingram. Saints have 4 RB's on their roster. That fixes their rushing problem but so far we don't know about your defense and the running game. That was also their problem in 2009. Great team and while they can shut down the pass, they have hell shutting down a run game.

Why don't you explain how you're going to whoop our ***** 42 to 17 before throwing up a prediction like that. I actually pull for the Saints quite a bit since this is my folks' tea, but I also see how flawed they are.

Same way we beat the Patriots by that score

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And let's not forget boys and girls and sports fans of all ages and teams where this game is being played and who the Packers quarterback is.

If this game was played in NewAleens I would expect the Packers to win with Rodgers but not by much.
With BrINT Fail with what we know now at Lambeau or in the big dome? Forget it.

But since it's in Mr. Rodgers neighboorhood, BOOM!
Saints should just save themselves the time and trouble for the trip and forfeit so they can have plenty of time for next week.

I will give the Saints fans this much: They do have some awesome costumes and ways of dressing up for the games.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously? Have you every heard of Drew Brees, Marques Colston, Lance Moore, Devry Henderson, Robert Meachem?

How about Pierre Thomas, Darren Sproles, Mark Ingram?

If not, those names will haunt your dreams Tgursday night!

Drew Brees - 2nd best QB in the NFC
Colston - Jennings is much better
I wont bother with the rest of the WRs.

Sproles can catch balls but as a runner, egh. Alot to be desired.
Thomas - Is he hurt yet?
Ingram - Rookie. Wait n see.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Same way we beat the Patriots by that score

Yeah keep forgetting that we are not the Patritots and you're not starting at an 9-0 record like you did playing them. Did the Patriots even win a playoff game in 2009? They BARELY made the playoffs that year!!!! Do a little research.

Oh I forgot, it's the first game of the season, and you're not in that super loud dome, you're in our house, which is a bigger pain to win in.

42 to 17 my ***.

Do you read your newspapers? There is not a writer from New Orleans to Mobile or even Pensacoula that is that bright in the head to think we're going to give up 40 something points. Last time I read, it said it would be a close game. Not your Patriots excuse, cause those writers know we are NOT the damn Patriots. They finished dead last in the league on passing defense, and we were in the top 5.

You guys will probably give us a close game, but no way I buy your story.

bleedwhodat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously i'm a saints fan too, but not here to trash talk, just figured this is the best place to get info on the packers, from the fans that follow the team like a religion. Saints are actually dinged up and will be missing BOTH of our starting DE for the game, and our defense has already been struggling this pre-season...really hope some of it has to be us not blitzing to hide stuff from the packers. I'm also worried about missing Reggie Bush, since our other starting RBs don't catch balls out of the backfield as well. Anyhow, since we're banged up, i'm hoping it's not just us, how are the packers? any worrisome question marks for you guys?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously i'm a saints fan too, but not here to trash talk, just figured this is the best place to get info on the packers, from the fans that follow the team like a religion. Saints are actually dinged up and will be missing BOTH of our starting DE for the game, and our defense has already been struggling this pre-season...really hope some of it has to be us not blitzing to hide stuff from the packers. I'm also worried about missing Reggie Bush, since our other starting RBs don't catch balls out of the backfield as well. Anyhow, since we're banged up, i'm hoping it's not just us, how are the packers? any worrisome question marks for you guys?

It's the same story with us as it has been for the last few years. Our offensive line is serviceable; mediocre. And our special teams coverage units get gashed way too often.

bleedwhodat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
luckily for you guys, new kickoff rule helps the teams with trouble stopping returners, and we don't have Bush returning punts anymore. I'm hoping we can get some pressure on Rodgers, but i think our Dline issues will may your Oline issues and it'll be a wash all around. It may just be an offensive shootout. I remember the last time we played the pack was 2008, you guys had the #1 pass defense at the time and we ended up putting 51pts up, it was in the superdome and that was a long time ago...but likewise i think there's a chance that the offenses take over on the big stage. Truthfully, i'm getting more worried about the game as the game nears and our roster keeps getting dinged up...now our kicker is out for 10 weeks and his new fill in just missed an extra point last pre-season game!! Hopefully, everyone just makes it out of the game healthy. However it goes down, it's gonna be one helluva game!

And i think it'll end up being a 10pt game but feel like a 1pt game til it's over because of the fact that either offense can throw points up quickly. Have you guys got all your skill players back that were hurt during the playoff/super bowl run?

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Bleed- you will probably find similar opinions here on this board. I, too, believe this to be a closely-fought match with the possibility of it turning into a shoot-out. Could go either way. In fact, I have it down as a loss for my Packers, who tend to start slowly. Though, I wasn't aware of how banged up the Saints are until your post...

Regarding your question on health: The Packers are in fairly good shape at this point. Matthews continues to struggle with a hammy problem and a few of our receivers are bruised up. Mike Neal, our DE that is supposed to replace our big FA loss (Jenkins), continues to be made of glass and hasn't played much this pre-season. I don't know if he will see the field this week.

For your other question, all of the 16 players who were on IR last year are "back". Note however that "back" does not mean on the Packer's roster as many of them lost their spots and have either retired, are FAs, or have signed elsewhere. The key returnees are our starting RB (Grant), starting TE (Finley), and starting safety (Burnett), and the aforementioned DE (Neal). And, except for Neal, they are all ready to rumble.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasnt talking smack.

Didnt say your team sucks, say anything about any players, were lucky to win the Super Bowl or anything like that.

Maybe my score prediction was over the top, but is not beyond the realm of possibilty; you do remember the Saints hung 50+ points on the Packers a few years ago.

Hell. the score could be 42-17, although don't see THAT happening.

I welcome anyone to our forum to talk about the game.

http://blackandgold.com/
OMG...I just checked out your forum and I'm guessing around 40% of the Saint fans think the Packers will win....in here 0% of the Packer fans think the Saints will win..You better not rely on your FG kicker.

Members online

Latest posts