Opener excites Green !!!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers notes: Opener excites Green
JASON WILDE 608-252-6176
[email protected]

GREEN BAY - Ahman Green doesn't know how many carries he'll get in Sunday's regular-season opener against the Chicago Bears at Lambeau Field, but the Green Bay Packers halfback knows this much: However many he gets, adrenaline will be coursing through his veins on every one.

"If you ain't juiced up for this, I don't know what else can get you juiced up for," Green said after practice Wednesday. "A divisional game, a rivalry game. For myself, the first game in (almost) 11 months. If I can't and the guys on this team can't get amped up come Sunday, I don't know what else you can say or do."

Green will be seeing his first regular-season action since rupturing the quadriceps tendon in his right leg last Oct. 23 at Minnesota. He had eight carries for 18 yards on Aug. 28 against Cincinnati and scored a 4-yard touchdown on his only carry in the preseason finale against Tennessee last Friday.

Coach Mike McCarthy said there is no limit on the number of carries he'll give Green.

"Not at all," McCarthy said. "We're playing to win."

McCarthy said Green has spent extra time working on his conditioning, so his cardiovascular shape shouldn't be an issue. Still, backups Samkon Gado and Noah Herron will be at the ready - not that Green expects to need them.

"I just have to wait and see. Whatever is given, I have to go out there and give 110 percent and run whatever amount of plays I get full speed," Green replied when asked how many carries is realistic for him. "But from what I know, unless coach McCarthy makes a change here or there, I know we're going to be running the ball (a lot)."

Pads, for now McCarthy had the team in pads during Wednesday's practice and said he'll continue to do so for awhile. Some coaches limit the amount of regular-season practice-time spent in pads, but the Packers' inexperienced roster likely will require more in-pads work.

"I've been in programs where you do pads on Wednesday (and) Thursday, shells on Friday. We're a young football team, so that's something we're considering," McCarthy said. "Also, I've gone in pads just on Thursday. That's really the way our schedule is structured. So as we move forward, we'll probably (have) a padded practice for sure on Thursdays."

Whether the Packers are in pads on Wednesday "will be week to week," McCarthy said, "but at some point during the season - probably about the eight- to 10-week mark - we'll look to take the pads off (completely)."

Poppinga pops It still has not been made official - all that's missing is McCarthy saying it publicly - but Brady Poppinga will start at sam (strong-side) linebacker Sunday.

Poppinga said he took the majority of the snaps with the No. 1 defense in practice, the team portion of which was closed to reporters.

Extra points The Packers released with offensive lineman Adrian Klemm, who ruptured an Achilles' the second day of training camp and is out for the year, after the two sides reached an injury settlement. ... Fullback William Henderson who underwent arthroscopic right knee surgery Aug. 21, practiced but remains listed as questionable. ... With newly acquired Tony Palmer not up to speed in the offense, McCarthy said Daryn Colledge is the top backup at each guard spot with Junius Coston (knee) out for this game.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he can have an effective day. He will be paramount to this season. Because we must MUST MUST MUST establish the running game or Favre is goign to be all alone again this year.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fantastic! good to hear how 'amped' green is going into the game. i'll be at an IRL race at chicagoland speedway during the game (wtf was i thinkin?) so i'm hoping i can call somebody to find out the scores. anybody wanna give me their digits?? :) :)

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
so i'm hoping i can call somebody to find out the scores. anybody wanna give me their digits?? :) :)

I can see 4Pack sifting through all those numbers now....that might be a case of "careful what you wish for". :lol:

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green seems pumped and that is good, I cant wait to see him tear past that Bear defense and getting 100+ in that game.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think they need to stick to their plan and run the ball all 4 quaters not give up on it,they have good r.b. just give them some space like green i'm getting so excited about sunday :)

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ah ah ah ... careful... your not supposed to be optomistic ... this team will suck hardcore this year and green too.

just kidding go pack go

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im also gald to hear that green is excited.

i hope he can have a 100 yard game with at LEAST 3.5 yards per carry.

as the year progresses (spelling) he will only get better because its his first game in 11 months.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome Green sounds ready to go. I wonder how many episodes of Batman he's watched already. Na na na na na na na na BATMAN BATMAN Time for him to put on the cape and hit the field like the superhero he is. We got Superman behind center and Batman behind him, looks like we're in good shape

Members online

Latest posts