Open Field Blocking

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess that I will ask the question here. Can a player try and cut block a defender by rolling into the defenders legs in the open field? I didn't think that you could do that outside the tackles, but maybe I am wrong? I always see Favre do it on his attempts to block for a reverse, but I never hear that it is illegal. Anyone know for sure?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
What Favre did was part of the play because the RB/WR was running in that direction and was in front of the player. He didn't do it from behind which would be a penalty. Atleast, that's my understanding from what I read about the rules.

OP
OP

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I found this on NFL.com. It gives me a headache to read. Not sure if or if not this applies to a qb nor am I sure if or if not it allows the rolling block.
Any lawyers in the house want to try and interpret?

7. An offensive player who lines up more than two yards outside his own tackle or a player who, at the snap, is in a backfield position and subsequently takes a position more than two yards outside a tackle may not clip an opponent anywhere nor may he contact an opponent below the waist if the blocker is moving toward the ball and if contact is made within an area five yards on either side of the line. (crackback)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Not a lawyer, but it says basically what I was poorly trying to say.

If the player blocks in front, it's legal.
If the player blocks in the back, its illegal.

I don't know if Brett has ever hit someone from behind to block them. He ... from what I can recall ... dives towards their feet in front of them hoping to trip them up.

OP
OP

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Not a lawyer, but it says basically what I was poorly trying to say.

If the player blocks in front, it's legal.
If the player blocks in the back, its illegal.

I don't know if Brett has ever hit someone from behind to block them. He ... from what I can recall ... dives towards their feet in front of them hoping to trip them up.

Agreed. Brett has never blocked from the front or even side. It is always the front. From what I read, the qb is in the backfield at the snap, he is going 2 yards outside the tackle box, he is contacting the player below the waist, but I am not sure about the last part 'if contact is made within an area five yards on either side of the line'. I think that it might not be legal, but I am not sure. This must be the rule that SAPP used to devestate the GB lineman several years ago.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are talking about a crackback block which is illegal if you are a wideout or lineup as a wideout and go in motion toward the ball. They define wideout as anything two yards outside the tackle. Wideouts can block below the waste downfield or if they are moving away from the ball. Favre's case doesn't fit any of the scenarios. Favre throws the old fashioned "body blocks".

It is also illegal to block below the waste if you are on the line of scrimmage and the defender is being blocked by another offensive player. This sometimes happens with the "zone blocking" scheme that the Packers are installing.

I'm not sure how clear this is but I hope it helps.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett got flagged for a low block a couple of years ago (and to me it looked like every other block I've ever seen him throw so it's an interesting question).

OP
OP

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am very confused. It says "nor may he contact an opponent below the waist". But is also says "if the blocker is moving toward the ball". It seems that you can't block below the waist if your moving toward the ball. I think. In Favre's case, he is always moving 'with' the ball.

Are there no high school or college refs on this site??

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Favre throws those blocks while he is "moving with the ball", but I could be wrong. It's simple...the rule you are quoting is for a crackback block. Wideouts can't go in motion toward the center and block someone below the waste around the line of scrimmage.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I don't think Favre throws those blocks while he is "moving with the ball", but I could be wrong. It's simple...the rule you are quoting is for a crackback block. Wideouts can't go in motion toward the center and block someone below the waste around the line of scrimmage.

If a lineman is engaged another player cannot block him below the waist. On the line as long as aplayeris not engaged and the block is from the FRONT it is legal as long as you are inside the Tackle box. That is where it gets shady. The FRONT is close to the SIDE .

In the open field you are not allowed to go against the grain to block below the waist. I have had many discussions with Refs about this and the rule is so shady that it makes it near impossible to call unless you get a PERFECT look at it. Alot of times A guys will make initial contact around the waist and it looks like a block below it simply because gravity takes effect. Also if the player makes a "FOOTBALL MOVE" that causes him to get blocked belowthe waist it cannot be called.

To sum it up, the only way you can really get it called against you is if you either block a stationary opponet below the waist from the extreme side or from the back or if a guy is running at you and you go for his knees. Hitting high thigh is usually not called.

Other than that there are to many other factors that could cause you to actually block below the waist without meaning to. It usually has to be clear as day to draw any yellow from it.

Members online

Latest posts