1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Onterrio Smith

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackOne, Apr 11, 2007.

1. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I saw somewhere that the infamous Queen Onterrio Smith has applied for re-instatement. I have no opinion on this topic except my looming concern for this season's backfield. Is this a guy you bring to camp if you have depth concerns at the halfback position ? I don't know much about him statistically. I think he maintained a 5 yard per carry average - and I sure didn't like the fact that the Vikes had him when they did. Cut from the CFL just like Ricky. Personally, I don't blame these guys for washing out in the CFL. Who the hell wants to go play in the America Jr. league anyway. (Thanks Rome). So inform me oh wise forum. Worth a look ?

2. retiredgrampa

retiredgrampa Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I admit that I was a bit impressed with his play sometimes. But it would be a complete turnaround for TT to sign him. Behavior is becoming more and more an important aspect re: players, thanks to the new Commish. Guys with NFL "rapsheets" will find it more difficult to find GMs who will consider them, maybe even the Bengals.

3. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    It will be interesting to see what happens. I read he has been working for UPS and passing their bi-weekly drug tests. Sounds like a guy doing what he needs to do. I respect a guy who can swallow his pride.

4. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I say why not. We need someone back there other than a 3rd down back. Similar to Koren Robinson, bring him in and if he screws up give him the boot.

If we had ANYBODY back there I would pass but we don't. Can't hurt to try

5. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sports Illustrated listed him as one of the 5 biggest 1st round draft flops.

They listed Koren Robinson and Jeremy Stevens, two other names that have been talked about on this forum as potential help for the Pack, in that top 5 also.

6. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I hope J. Reynolds was on that list.

7. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Onterrio Smith????

I'm almost positive he wasn't a 1st round pick. Off the top of my head I think he was a 3rd or 4th.

8. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ESPN Article

9. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I say stay away.

The thing with Ricky was that he wanted to play in the CFL, and he showed up willing to play and do what was asked of him.

Smith, from what I can gather, had a "meh, whatever" attitude. I'd rather not get guys like that.

Say what you want about CFL, fact of the matter is that if you struggle with making a team after having played in the NFL, well it doesn't exactly speak glowingly about the type of player you are...

Players like Lawrence Phillips have had success in the CFL, but total duds in the NFL, yet they've shown flashes of brilliance that make you say "Damn, that's why they got drafted". Smith never did that.

10. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I was wrong on the 1st round part, sorry.
    The slide show just showed 5 players who were considered draft flops.

11. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What is with the fascination over useless druggies on the forum??

This guy is banned from the league and was cut from the CFL in training camp.

The last thing the NFL, the Packers and America need is some immature drug abuser unqualified for employment.

The druggie is banned for a reason.

12. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    The Packers staff has said they do not want to sign guys just to bring them in because there are some young guys they really want to give a chance to and see how they respond.

I think PJ Pope and A. Beech are two of those guys.

13. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I think some are looking for what appears to be a great bargain.
    I see it as you do, guys that were cut loose for a reason.