Onterrio Smith

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw somewhere that the infamous Queen Onterrio Smith has applied for re-instatement. I have no opinion on this topic except my looming concern for this season's backfield. Is this a guy you bring to camp if you have depth concerns at the halfback position ? I don't know much about him statistically. I think he maintained a 5 yard per carry average - and I sure didn't like the fact that the Vikes had him when they did. Cut from the CFL just like Ricky. Personally, I don't blame these guys for washing out in the CFL. Who the hell wants to go play in the America Jr. league anyway. (Thanks Rome). So inform me oh wise forum. Worth a look ?

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admit that I was a bit impressed with his play sometimes. But it would be a complete turnaround for TT to sign him. Behavior is becoming more and more an important aspect re: players, thanks to the new Commish. Guys with NFL "rapsheets" will find it more difficult to find GMs who will consider them, maybe even the Bengals.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what happens. I read he has been working for UPS and passing their bi-weekly drug tests. Sounds like a guy doing what he needs to do. I respect a guy who can swallow his pride.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say why not. We need someone back there other than a 3rd down back. Similar to Koren Robinson, bring him in and if he screws up give him the boot.

If we had ANYBODY back there I would pass but we don't. Can't hurt to try

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sports Illustrated listed him as one of the 5 biggest 1st round draft flops.

They listed Koren Robinson and Jeremy Stevens, two other names that have been talked about on this forum as potential help for the Pack, in that top 5 also.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They listed Koren Robinson and Jeremy Stevens, two other names that have been talked about on this forum as potential help for the Pack, in that top 5 also.

Onterrio Smith????

I'm almost positive he wasn't a 1st round pick. Off the top of my head I think he was a 3rd or 4th.

Reaction score
Former Minnesota Vikings running back Onterrio Smith, who had hoped to resurrect his flagging career in the CFL while completing a one-year suspension for repeat violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy, was released by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers on Saturday night.

Smith's release came just five days after Winnipeg general manager Brandan Taman had all but guaranteed him a roster spot. CFL teams had to reduce their rosters to the regular-season limit of 42 by Saturday. The former Vikings starter was one of 21 players the Blue Bombers set free.

"Toronto's suspended NFL guy [Ricky Williams] gets all the accolades, but our suspended NFL guy, despite all the baggage and the [injured] foot, is pretty darned good, too," Taman said.

Apparently, he wasn't good enough.

Being released by the Blue Bombers is a stunning setback for Smith, who is eligible for reinstatement to the NFL in early October, provided he meets all of the league's stipulations. It is believed Smith remained in the NFL drug program, even after signing with Winnipeg, so that he would have a chance at some point to play in the league again.

Williams has stayed in the program, which means he is subject to 10 random drug tests per month.

Smith, 25, did not distinguish himself while with Winnipeg. He reported to training camp with a foot injury and missed the first week of practice and the first of the Blue Bombers' two preseason games. He returned to practice last week and played in Thursday night's preseason game, but his performance -- two carries for seven yards and a fumble -- was disappointing.

The Vikings' fourth-round choice in the 2003 draft following college stints at Tennessee and Oregon, which included some off-field problems and his dismissal from the Vols' squad, Smith ran for 1,123 yards and seven touchdowns on 231 carries in 2003-2004. He also had 51 receptions for 523 yards and two touchdowns.

But in 2004, Smith was suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the substance abuse policy. In summer 2005, he was stopped at the Minneapolis airport and a search of his baggage revealed "The Original Whizzinator," a device designed to beat drug tests. Less than a month later, the NFL suspended Smith for a year for another violation of the substance abuse policy.

Smith was released by the Vikings nearly two months ago and signed with Winnipeg last month.

ESPN Article

Reaction score
I say stay away.

The thing with Ricky was that he wanted to play in the CFL, and he showed up willing to play and do what was asked of him.

Smith, from what I can gather, had a "meh, whatever" attitude. I'd rather not get guys like that.

Say what you want about CFL, fact of the matter is that if you struggle with making a team after having played in the NFL, well it doesn't exactly speak glowingly about the type of player you are...

Players like Lawrence Phillips have had success in the CFL, but total duds in the NFL, yet they've shown flashes of brilliance that make you say "Damn, that's why they got drafted". Smith never did that.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:

Onterrio Smith????

I'm almost positive he wasn't a 1st round pick. Off the top of my head I think he was a 3rd or 4th.

I was wrong on the 1st round part, sorry.
The slide show just showed 5 players who were considered draft flops.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is with the fascination over useless druggies on the forum??

This guy is banned from the league and was cut from the CFL in training camp.

The last thing the NFL, the Packers and America need is some immature drug abuser unqualified for employment.

The druggie is banned for a reason.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers staff has said they do not want to sign guys just to bring them in because there are some young guys they really want to give a chance to and see how they respond.

I think PJ Pope and A. Beech are two of those guys.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is with the fascination over useless druggies on the forum??

This guy is banned from the league and was cut from the CFL in training camp.

The last thing the NFL, the Packers and America need is some immature drug abuser unqualified for employment.

The druggie is banned for a reason.
I think some are looking for what appears to be a great bargain.
I see it as you do, guys that were cut loose for a reason.

Members online

Latest posts