One more trip down memory lane back to the NFCCG.....

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Long post alert.

Before we get cranked up with the 2021 season, I finally had the stomach to re-watch the NFCCG vs Tampa.

I just cannot get over how many mistakes and uncharacteristic events went into it.

You've got:
- The King blunder
- Two Jones fumbles
- A dropped TD pass by Davante and on the same drive lost where he was in the end zone and didn't get his feet down for another TD
- Rodgers INT
- Redmond drops an INT
- St. Brown drops the 2 point conversion
- MLF choosing to kick the FG instead of going for it

Along with that, there were awful protection issues throughout most of the game. Big time issues in the secondary with Brady picking on Sullivan repeatedly on whomever he was covering, and the obvious King blunders that were game changing.

Then there's the question of why wasn't Dillon utilized more? He abused their front on the few carries he got.

I honestly think the biggest killers in this game were not being able to cash on the 3rd possession of the game where Davante screwed two plays up, then the Rodgers INT, then the King blunder, then the Jones blunder right out of the half where it gifted the Bucs another TD.

Think about it...that was 18 points on plays that were completely within our control. And 14 points on consecutive possessions with the King/Jones debacle.

And still only lost the game by 5 points.

Now...

Looking forward, I'm hoping a lot of these issues have been remedied.

The issues with the secondary:
Hopefully at least one of Stokes/SJC will be able to take over the #2 CB slot, thus sliding others down. And if nothing else, surely MLF has an understanding with Barry on how he wants to play situational defense. This is of course the first DC that he's been able to hire since he's been with the Packers. I can promise situational stuff like that was discussed. That should be a net positive by default that we won't get utter stupidity at the end of the half like we did in this game.

The issues with protection:
Hopefully Bakhtiari comes back at close to 100% of what he was before. Losing #69 was such a huge blow and made such a huge difference in multiple drives of that game that stalled out because Rodgers got blindsided. He got pressure from many angles, especially lots of issues on the right side with Wagner and Lucas friggin Patrick, but it's going to be such a luxury to have the island LT that doesn't need help protecting AR's blindside.

The slight issues with the running game:
I'm not sure the Packers will make the mistake again of not utilizing Dillon more in cold temperatures. He's a battering ram that no one wants to deal with in those situations. Then you've got the dynamic abilities of Jones and Hill. I think our running backs are even more lethal this year than last. Williams was a nice player, but the Packers are now better.

The issues with the over reliance on Davante:
I honestly think the receiver room has turned into, dare I say a strength for the Packers. IF Amari Rodgers can contribute in a reasonable way this season, and Cobb stays healthy, I think it could be special. Because you already know what you're going to get from Davante, and if what I'm hearing about MVS is true, he's really rounded the corner and could be ready to explode. And then Lazard of course just provides steadiness all throughout the playbook.

I think this team has the opportunity to be great this season. The pieces are in place for the Packers to get it done. We've got flaws, no doubt. Just like all teams. But many of the issues that plagued the Packers last year have been addressed. We'll see how it all comes to fruition.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Long post alert.

Before we get cranked up with the 2021 season, I finally had the stomach to re-watch the NFCCG vs Tampa.

I just cannot get over how many mistakes and uncharacteristic events went into it.

You've got:
- The King blunder
- Two Jones fumbles
- A dropped TD pass by Davante and on the same drive lost where he was in the end zone and didn't get his feet down for another TD
- Rodgers INT
- Redmond drops an INT
- St. Brown drops the 2 point conversion
- MLF choosing to kick the FG instead of going for it

Along with that, there were awful protection issues throughout most of the game. Big time issues in the secondary with Brady picking on Sullivan repeatedly on whomever he was covering, and the obvious King blunders that were game changing.

Then there's the question of why wasn't Dillon utilized more? He abused their front on the few carries he got.

I honestly think the biggest killers in this game were not being able to cash on the 3rd possession of the game where Davante screwed two plays up, then the Rodgers INT, then the King blunder, then the Jones blunder right out of the half where it gifted the Bucs another TD.

Think about it...that was 18 points on plays that were completely within our control. And 14 points on consecutive possessions with the King/Jones debacle.

And still only lost the game by 5 points.

Now...

Looking forward, I'm hoping a lot of these issues have been remedied.

The issues with the secondary:
Hopefully at least one of Stokes/SJC will be able to take over the #2 CB slot, thus sliding others down. And if nothing else, surely MLF has an understanding with Barry on how he wants to play situational defense. This is of course the first DC that he's been able to hire since he's been with the Packers. I can promise situational stuff like that was discussed. That should be a net positive by default that we won't get utter stupidity at the end of the half like we did in this game.

The issues with protection:
Hopefully Bakhtiari comes back at close to 100% of what he was before. Losing #69 was such a huge blow and made such a huge difference in multiple drives of that game that stalled out because Rodgers got blindsided. He got pressure from many angles, especially lots of issues on the right side with Wagner and Lucas friggin Patrick, but it's going to be such a luxury to have the island LT that doesn't need help protecting AR's blindside.

The slight issues with the running game:
I'm not sure the Packers will make the mistake again of not utilizing Dillon more in cold temperatures. He's a battering ram that no one wants to deal with in those situations. Then you've got the dynamic abilities of Jones and Hill. I think our running backs are even more lethal this year than last. Williams was a nice player, but the Packers are now better.

The issues with the over reliance on Davante:
I honestly think the receiver room has turned into, dare I say a strength for the Packers. IF Amari Rodgers can contribute in a reasonable way this season, and Cobb stays healthy, I think it could be special. Because you already know what you're going to get from Davante, and if what I'm hearing about MVS is true, he's really rounded the corner and could be ready to explode. And then Lazard of course just provides steadiness all throughout the playbook.

I think this team has the opportunity to be great this season. The pieces are in place for the Packers to get it done. We've got flaws, no doubt. Just like all teams. But many of the issues that plagued the Packers last year have been addressed. We'll see how it all comes to fruition.
That hurt for sure. I could not stomach seeing it again. I give the Bucs, Brady and their defense credit, but the game was very winnable. Having to kick a FG inside the 10 in the first half was a bad omen. We did it with LA but they had like a number one or two defense statistically. Rodgers should not have thrown that swing pass to Jones. He had a man all over him and was almost defenseless. Was not going to be a first down. The Brady Hail Mary was inexcusable. Shades of Eli Manning in 2011 at the end of the half. And when you pick Brady 3 times in one half it should convert to more points. Rather have lost one on the road.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The biggest issue i had was what milani referred to .. 3 straight brady ints ( really??? 3 in a row??)

it was gifted to the offense. that was horrible execution and playing calling on the entire offense

shame on them

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also didn't Aaron refuse to run with the ball late in the game where if he runs he either gets a 1st and goal or a TD?

There were also 2 really messed up ref calls/non-calls that both went Tommy's way.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also didn't Aaron refuse to run with the ball late in the game where if he runs he either gets a 1st and goal or a TD?

There were also 2 really messed up ref calls/non-calls that both went Tommy's way.
He did choose not to run. This is where a lesser QB trusts his feet more than his arm.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The biggest issue i had was what milani referred to .. 3 straight brady ints ( really??? 3 in a row??)

it was gifted to the offense. that was horrible execution and playing calling on the entire offense

shame on them
Common denominator on the 1st two drives after INT's was break down in protection. And then at the end, Rodgers just couldn't make a play to get it in the end zone.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I love the confidence. Wouldn't it be great to have him on our team. Pair him up with Jaire's confidence and skills and we'd have a devastating defense.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the past few weeks, I've started to whittle down my DVR. I watched the 1985 Bears-Packers game at Lambeau, the 2003 Irv Favre game against the Raiders, the 2007 Seahawks snow game, the 2020 Rams playoff game, my DVD of the entire Ice Bowl, and the "lost" edition of Super Bowl I.

On my list is still a handful of other games plus wanted to re-watch that NFC championship game. I feel like watching the 2010 playoff run too - the Tramon INT against the Eagles, Rodgers shredding the Falcons before halftime, and Jay Cutler getting benched at Soldier Field.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I love the confidence. Wouldn't it be great to have him on our team. Pair him up with Jaire's confidence and skills and we'd have a devastating defense.
I am not of the belief Rodgers would have ran it into the endzone at all. and I would love to have Devin White on our team.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I would call it horrible play MAKING by Rodgers
I'll agree with you on the three plays from the 8 yard line. Not excusing those. He has to get it done in that spot. Anything before that is highly debatable if you actually go back and watch what happened.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Common denominator on the 1st two drives after INT's was break down in protection. And then at the end, Rodgers just couldn't make a play to get it in the end zone.
You think no Bahktiari hurt us? I thought the Rams had a better D line and we handled it. Tampa appeared to put more people in the box than I had seen most of the year. We had trouble with it.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the past few weeks, I've started to whittle down my DVR. I watched the 1985 Bears-Packers game at Lambeau, the 2003 Irv Favre game against the Raiders, the 2007 Seahawks snow game, the 2020 Rams playoff game, my DVD of the entire Ice Bowl, and the "lost" edition of Super Bowl I.

On my list is still a handful of other games plus wanted to re-watch that NFC championship game. I feel like watching the 2010 playoff run too - the Tramon INT against the Eagles, Rodgers shredding the Falcons before halftime, and Jay Cutler getting benched at Soldier Field.
You know what you can still grab off You Tube probably is the 1961 Championship at Lambeau. 37-0 Packer win over the Giants. May appear primitive by today's standards. But you will see execution at its best. And you even get to see a halftime show on the field.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Had it been 4th and 3 or 4 LaFleur probably goes for it. That is why Rodgers running it would have been worth it. And maybe Tampa aggressively gives him a late hit.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To say that not having the best LT in the game didn't hurt is just laughable. If you actually go back and re-watch the game, it's obvious.
To me, it caused us to move our serviceable R tackle to L side where he did not play well and we put in a R tackle who just could not keep up. 2 for 1

Reaction score
On 1st n 8. 1 handoff to Dillon with pulling Guards and on Elgton and Marcedes side? Dillon either runs out of bounds for 2 yards and stops the clock or barrels for 2 more to the 4 (clock running). The next play should’ve been called already in the huddle if the clock is running (quick pass).
Had we been 4 yards to go? I think MLF goes for it on 4th n Goal from the 4 because of the immediately free TO (possession change) plus another TO and 2 minute TO. if we miss it, the negative field position limits the playcall for Brady more.
Worse case is we leave Tampa on the 3 yard line there with an extra try at a TD and play field position.

This is Tom Brady here in a high profile game in your own front yard, not some average team in regular season. Lord put us there with a strong momentum swing second half and we got complacent. Never ever break momentum unless it’s like 20 yards to go or whatnot. You go kicking and screaming for a tie or W before you leave a goal to go to Tom Brady. That’s just where the statistical odds are trumped by common sense.

ps. I know I might get slack for calling that finish as some sort of anti MLF rhetoric or as a predictable Monday QBing, but as God as my witness I considered that real time. I’m smart enough to know Matt got us there in the first place (I wouldn’t have).

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right on the money actually

That should be the one takeaway from this otherwise gargantuan cluster **** game.

Do not EVER kick a stupid FG when down by 8 with under 3 minutes to go at the opponents 8. Us fans must demand of Matt LaFleur that he go for it every time in this situation and demand of the Green Bay Press Gazette and Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that they barbecue him when he doesn't.

And don't any stupid Rodgers hating rubes here try and tell me kicking that FG was a good idea. It was not, and I'm not going to change my mind about that. EVER!!!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That should be the one takeaway from this otherwise gargantuan cluster **** game.

Do not EVER kick a stupid FG when down by 8 with under 3 minutes to go at the opponents 8. Us fans must demand of Matt LaFleur that he go for it every time in this situation and demand of the Green Bay Press Gazette and Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that they barbecue him when he doesn't.

And don't any stupid Rodgers hating rubes here try and tell me kicking that FG was a good idea. It was not, and I'm not going to change my mind about that. EVER!!!
completely disagree with everything. So you want the media to decide what play to call?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It is percentages. Chances were determined to be that most likely Rodgers throws an incompletion
and gets no penalty call. Brady takes over and the score is 31-23. Then we would need a stop, a long drive, and a 2 pointer all in maybe a minute. Then we get OT at best. The Bucs are not the Jets. They would pressure Rodgers and drop 6 or 7 back giving us anything out of the end zone. The failure was not doing anything on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down. Tell me Rodgers throws a TD if we go for it. Maybe Brett Favre because he was a gunslinger. With him it is an INT or a TD.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is percentages. Chances were determined to be that most likely Rodgers throws an incompletion
and gets no penalty call. Brady takes over and the score is 31-23. Then we would need a stop, a long drive, and a 2 pointer all in maybe a minute. Then we get OT at best. The Bucs are not the Jets. They would pressure Rodgers and drop 6 or 7 back giving us anything out of the end zone. The failure was not doing anything on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down. Tell me Rodgers throws a TD if we go for it. Maybe Brett Favre because he was a gunslinger. With him it is an INT or a TD.

You don't think we could have setup one for Lewis or Tonyan in a back corner route to go haul in? Aaron's made plenty of difficult throws in his career, so you're damn right I'm trusting him.

Yeah, if we miss Brady takes over deeper in his own territory with the defense at least possibly getting better field position if they hold them there. But that's negligible because whether you go for it and miss, or just kick the fg, either scenario we gotta get the ball back and score a TD. Only difference being not having to go for 2.

But, if you do score the TD and get the two, Bucs won't try to just kill the clock. If you stop them, you only need to get a FG to win. But even if you don't stop them getting into fg range, they still might miss the kick.

completely disagree with everything. So you want the media to decide what play to call?

No, just to make sure he hears about how bad it is to kick a FG when you're down by 8 and surrender in doing so.

Like I said, not a single damn argument is going to change my mind about the stupid FG decision.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They trusted him to make difficult throws on 1st, wait, 2nd wait wait wait & 3rd downs. How did that work out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts