One more trip down memory lane back to the NFCCG.....

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 4 scenarios that could have led to a win.

1. Kick field goal. Stop Tampa. Score Touchdown. Win.
2. Get TD on 4th down, convert 2 pt. attempt. Stop Tampa. Go to O.T.
3. Get TD on 4th down, miss 2pt. conversion. Stop Tampa. Kick FG for the win.
4. Get stopped on 4th down. Stop Tampa. Score a TD and convert 2 pt. to get into O.T.

In all 4 scenarios GB had to both score a Tuddy and stop Brady. To me the odds are higher of making the FG than making a 2 pt. conversion. Plus the FG gets you the W the 2 pt. conversion gets you O.T.
I am not saying it was definitively the correct call, but by no means was it a no brainer to go for it
Correct. No promising choices.

captainWIMM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 4 scenarios that could have led to a win.

1. Kick field goal. Stop Tampa. Score Touchdown. Win.
2. Get TD on 4th down, convert 2 pt. attempt. Stop Tampa. Go to O.T.
3. Get TD on 4th down, miss 2pt. conversion. Stop Tampa. Kick FG for the win.
4. Get stopped on 4th down. Stop Tampa. Score a TD and convert 2 pt. to get into O.T.

In all 4 scenarios GB had to both score a Tuddy and stop Brady. To me the odds are higher of making the FG than making a 2 pt. conversion. Plus the FG gets you the W the 2 pt. conversion gets you O.T.
I am not saying it was definitively the correct call, but by no means was it a no brainer to go for it.

It's not about the odds being higher of kicking the field goal compared to making a two point conversion though.

Actually you need to take a look at the chances of the following scenarios:

1. Kick the field goal, stop the Bucs with them most likely getting the ball around their 25, drive approximately 75 yards for a touchdown with limited time and no timeouts left

2. Go for it on fourth down, score and convert the two point conversion and stop the Bucs afterwards

Even if the Packers don't score on fourth down they would have received the ball in better field position if they had stopped the Bucs.

I understand the first scenario results in a win while the second one only forces overtime but I would have definitely preferred them to go for it.

FWIW, according to ESPN's Win Probablity model the Packers had a 10% chance of winning the game by going for it on fourth down compared to 9.5% by kicking the field goal.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not about the odds being higher of kicking the field goal compared to making a two point conversion though.

Actually you need to take a look at the chances of the following scenarios:

1. Kick the field goal, stop the Bucs with them most likely getting the ball around their 25, drive approximately 75 yards for a touchdown with limited time and no timeouts left

2. Go for it on fourth down, score and convert the two point conversion and stop the Bucs afterwards

Even if the Packers don't score on fourth down they would have received the ball in better field position if they had stopped the Bucs.

I understand the first scenario results in a win while the second one only forces overtime but I would have definitely preferred them to go for it.

FWIW, according to ESPN's Win Probablity model the Packers had a 10% chance of winning the game by going for it on fourth down compared to 9.5% by kicking the field goal.
Some argue that it would have been easier to stop Brady with it 31-31 instead of 31-26 which is nonsense. You may have to gamble more. And Brady is not just trying to run the clock out. But either way you have to get a stop. But if it is still 31-23 puts a lot less pressure on Tampa. We not only have to stop him but we have to get the ball back. And we have to get 6. And we have to get 2. And we have to do it with very little time left.

captainWIMM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some argue that it would have been easier to stop Brady with it 31-31 instead of 31-26 which is nonsense. You may have to gamble more. And Brady is not just trying to run the clock out. But either way you have to get a stop. But if it is still 31-23 puts a lot less pressure on Tampa. We not only have to stop him but we have to get the ball back. And we have to get 6. And we have to get 2. And we have to do it with very little time left.

The only difference being that the Packers would have had to go for two after getting a stop and scoring a touchdown.

In that situation I would believe the chances would have been better by going for it on fourth down.

With that being said the chances of winning the game were pretty small at that point no matter what.

PhilaPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers coaches need to watch that game, look how the Bucc's offense, and defense were lined up, and what was the most productive part of the play, and try to copy it in the Packers play scheme.

captainWIMM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers coaches need to watch that game, look how the Bucc's offense, and defense were lined up, and what was the most productive part of the play, and try to copy it in the Packers play scheme.

That's not a recipe for success as the Packers' talent is different from the Bucs'.