One Big Draft Prediction

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably everyone here has a gut feeling of something they see happening in the draft that is a real head-turning deal.

Whether it's trading up or trading down or trading picks for players go out on the limb with something that would be BIG NEWS but could actually happen.

Keep it real so we can go back after the draft and see who hit on a really big draft day event before it happened.

MY PREDICITION: Following his ever famous "just win baby" philosophy Al Davis passes on having the necessary patience with a rookie QB and takes CALVIN JOHNSON with the #1 pick.

Al has shown he is not comfortable taking QB's high in the draft and opts for Carr or Culpepper instead.

Not the BIGGEST of news but this would certainly stir things up for the next few hours with lots of juggling going on after this.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I am game...

I agree with the Johnson Pick and I think it will have some ripple effects on the rest of the TOP of the draft.... I think that the Lions and Browns will stay put, Thomas to the Lions and Quinn to the Browns.

The Bucs will be in the drivers seat then and will deal the 4th pick to the Queens who will be jumping up to grab Russell. Bucs to get Queens 1st round pick, a DE and a package of picks.

Packers will draft Lynch and yes it seems like old news... but pull the trigger on the Moss deal.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am game...

I agree with the Johnson Pick and I think it will have some ripple effects on the rest of the TOP of the draft.... I think that the Lions and Browns will stay put, Thomas to the Lions and Quinn to the Browns.

The Bucs will be in the drivers seat then and will deal the 4th pick to the Queens who will be jumping up to grab Russell. Bucs to get Queens 1st round pick, a DE and a package of picks.

Packers will draft Lynch and yes it seems like old news... but pull the trigger on the Moss deal.

So it's: BUCS TRADE 4th pick overall to the MINNY QUEENS for a DE and multiple picks. VIKES select J. Russell.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Al will go with Calvin Johnson as he is the type of receiver who could make Culpepper look good just snagging errant balls out of the sky...and away from defenders. Culpepper does in fact become a Raider and the rest of the first half od f the first round becomes madness.

Prediction: Packers trade down for Dwayne Bowe and pick up extra pick(s) at spots appropriate to their trade partners position on the board. Snags a RB in the 2nd....Kenny Irons, Tony Hunt....and Chandler, the TE from Iowa in the third. All offense with the first 3 picks unless a safety they really love falls.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I am game...

I forgot to mention, Russell flopping for the Vikes... LOL.. had to throw that in there.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Ted sits tight unless Lynch is gone before 16.
If Lynch is gone, then he makes a big trade using picks and a defensive lineman to get Turner.

But What is better in your mind?

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Lynch is gone, then he makes a big trade using picks and a defensive lineman to get Turner.
My gut tells me the Bills will take Lynch. Some of the people that say this have us taking Leon Hall at #16 who I am sure is good but who wouldn't want us to do something for Turner if it get's to this?

robkeg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with yooperfan. TT gets Lynch if still there at 16. If Lynch is gone then trade for Turner if he is still with SD if not, draft Ted Ginn Jr. to get vertical.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:

But What is better in your mind?

I will step in and say Turner all day long. I will also say I am warming to the thought of Lynch because what he does well seems to fit the zone system.

PS. I like the kid from Ohio St. as a later round pick. He showed more speed and ability against Florida in the NC game than I knew he had. He comes from a winner and plays like one.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see anything earthshattering happening from the Packers perspective. I don't think a RB is that high on TT's list because that's the reason he went with a zone-blocking scheme so that high-priced star RBs aren't necessary. He's said he's content with the current talent on the team so he won't be making any reaches to fill our perceived needs.

I see TT staying pat and taking the BPA at 16. After that, several trade-downs to end up with somewhere around 11-12 picks, most of which will happen on day two. This is what he's always done, this is what he'll do again this year.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see anything earthshattering happening from the Packers perspective. I don't think a RB is that high on TT's list because that's the reason he went with a zone-blocking scheme so that high-priced star RBs aren't necessary. He's said he's content with the current talent on the team so he won't be making any reaches to fill our perceived needs.

Actually it was McCarthy's call to go with the zone blocking scheme. How much that factored into Ted Thompson hiring McCarthy was not mentioned or at least I haven't seen anything said about it. I think he's going to find the best player he can at 16 and if it's Lynch he'll take him.

My "bold" prediction I guess is Adrian Peterson falling out of the top 5 and going to the Atlanta Falcons at #8.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Turner will be signed from the Chargers before the draft, so he won't be available to us. Since TT sat on his hands and wallet during FA, he will realize he must get lots of picks to fill lots of holes. I see him trading out of #16 to pick later in the 1st and twice in the 2nd. After that we'll need large erasers on our pencils as we continually move the next Packer pick around. I would have a coronary if he traded up in ANY round. Prior to this time, I had sort of expected him to swing a blockbuster (to us anyway) trade on draft day, because he's held onto the cap space to cover it, but now I doubt it. He's not likely to change his spots. He's definitely againest taking ANY chances or throwing the dice. Not his nature. Yet I believe he will draft at least 3 guys none of us know anything about. He wants the next Driver or Colston.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT will pass on Lynch if he is still avialble at 16, TT will take Ted Gynn Jr. if he is available, if not TT will try to trade down, if that can't be done he will take the best DEFENSIVE PLAYER on The Packer Board.

How's that for a different perspective.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT will pass on Lynch if he is still avialble at 16, TT will take Ted Gynn Jr. if he is available, if not TT will try to trade down, if that can't be done he will take the best DEFENSIVE PLAYER on The Packer Board.

How's that for a different perspective.

TT will take Ted Ginn JR.

Sounds like a true Buckeyepackerfan :thumbsup:

robkeg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think Ted Ginn Jr is a real possibility. He has the speed at WR that we need and experience handleing punts. But, still if Lynch is there at 16 we need to get him. Either way I think we need to go offence first.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing that WCO receivers MUST do is the one thing that Ginn doesn't....run precise routes. I do not like that pick. He is dynamic as a returner, but there are several players in this draft that can be had later to provide that skill set, and groom as a WR. You do not take a flyer with your #1 on a WR who does not do well that which is necessary to perform in our offense.

If we go WR, Bowe or Meacham.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The dilema, if that's the right word, for the Pack at WR as I see it is they need BOTH a burner but also at least one big, physical WR as well.

Both Driver and Jennings are great but neither have the god fearing speed to stretch the field nor are any of the others that 6-4 guy with hands like baseball gloves who can go and get it.

If we get Ginn we get the burner we need some of the time but we don't get the big bodied Meacham or Bowe types that we need the other times.

That's the problem I see. Maybe DD and JJ are just too alike.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched "Packers on the clock" on ESPN.
Their take was Lynch if he is there, if not, Olsen the TE.

They were excited about this young Packer team as a whole, but that the Packers need to add playmakers through the draft.
They added that the Packers cannot make another 1st round mistake like was the case with Carroll.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched "Packers on the clock" on ESPN.
Their take was Lynch if he is there, if not, Olsen the TE.

They were excited about this young Packer team as a whole, but that the Packers need to add playmakers through the draft.
They added that the Packers cannot make another 1st round mistake like was the case with Carroll.

The only thing about the predictors is they seem to always follow the teams NEEDS in their logic. IF the Packers don't see Lynch or Olsen worth the 16th or there is another guy available they deem has higher value this won't happen.
This is why GM's are paid the big bucks. They have to know how to grade these players correctly and then pick the highest valued guy even when the fans want somebody else.
More and more have Lynch off the board so I think Olsen is more of a possibility right now if these guys are right.
Nobody can afford a first round bust like Carroll so that was kind of a worthless statement by ESPN but I DO like how they seem pretty pumped about the Pack. Much better stuff than what they thought last year for sure.

robkeg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Olsen at TE really any better than what we currently have? I believe a TE in the first round is a waste, especially at #16.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Olsen at TE really any better than what we currently have? I believe a TE in the first round is a waste, especially at #16.

Yes he is better than what we currently have, but im also not sure if he is worth a #16 pick.....Only way id take him at 16 is if we addressed the RB need before the draft.....

My Take:

If we are goin to draft a top RB lets draft the best RB....Trade up and take Peterson, hes a beast. WE have the money to pay him...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
TT will select Dwayne Jarrett with the 16th pick.

and Porky will sob over the fact that they wasted the 16th pick in the Draft on someone who is slower than him. :rotflmao:

I think it's Olsen or Lynch. If both are there it'll make for a really interesting 15 minutes.

I will say that the Packers will pick at 16. They won’t move down or up.

Members online

Latest posts