One Big Draft Prediction

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I rather take Dwayne Bowe. Similar size and he's fast enough to give the Packers a viable deep threat. He'd really fill two needs himself.

I guess at #16 my wish list would be

Lynch
Bowe
Olsen
Nelson

If we trade down then add Weddle to the list.

cheesy4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NO way meachem will be a way bigger impact for the pack then bowe or olsen in the first. did you watch olsen play in college? hes nothing great i mean ya he had a great proday but he was in shorts and a tshirt that doesnt show what you got on the field

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Tiger said:
Jarrett is by all accounts will be a terrible professional. i cant see the packers even looking at him. id rather get Gonzo or Ginn

Really, what would give you that impression? Lack of speed, Herman Moore was about Jarrett's size and speed, and they both had comparable college careers and both make the highlight type catch. Jerry Rice had almost the exact same speed.

Is it that he is a USC product? Does he remind you of Mike Williams?

He might not be the best WR comming out this year and a reach in terms of the draft board at #16, but to say he going to be terrible makes me wonder why?

Jarrett is soft. You press him you take him off his game and he struggles. If he can improve on that he can become a very good pro. However he's not worth the 16th pick in the Draft. If the Pack take him then trade down for him in my opinion.

You know , I 'm not going to but into the "soft" argument. This is a big guy w/a big body. he is 20 years and has plenty of time to "muscle up" and be able to break free when he is pressed. Once he gets into camp Jarrett can work with a strength coach and improve on this area

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NO way meachem will be a way bigger impact for the pack then bowe or olsen in the first. did you watch olsen play in college? hes nothing great i mean ya he had a great proday but he was in shorts and a tshirt that doesnt show what you got on the field

meachum can run fast, but he can't catch, and doesn't have any heart to run over the middle of the feild

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. My concern about guys like Olson that move way up after combine numbers is that why didn't they produce better in college. The other thing is that a WCO TE must block and I don't see that as a strength.
2. My hope is we don't take Leon Hall or Dwayne Jarrett in the first round, I don't like either of those players.
3. My prediction is that Jarrett falls to round two. He is a limited player, good hands but lacks speed deep and off the ball and that is not good in NFL.
4. I want Lynch, if he is not there then trade down to later first round and take Robert Meachum who has speed under 4.4 and can run patterns and is big. Then take RB in round 2 or 3. I still like Lorenzo Booker and he seems to be falling for some reason.
5. There is lots of value in second round so if we could get two seconds from Jets for our first I would do that.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3. My prediction is that Jarrett falls to round two. He is a limited player, good hands but lacks speed deep and off the ball and that is not good in NFL.

:rotflmao: just ask Jerry Rice and Cris Carter
4. I want Lynch, if he is not there then trade down to later first round and take Robert Meachum who has speed under 4.4 and can run patterns and is big.
:rotflmao: Meachum can't catch and runs terrible patterns

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just stop mentioning Jarrett in the same sentence as Jerry Rice or Cris Carter. They play the game totally different than Jarrett.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather draft Sidney Rice in the second, he's very much like Jarrett and we would get better value for our pick.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just stop mentioning Jarrett in the same sentence as Jerry Rice or Cris Carter. They play the game totally different than Jarrett.

and watch Jarrett go to dallas and have a huge career as a NFL WR

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

Why, they all were knocked for slow 40's. They all have great hands. Carter and Jarrett both are a little cocky. So in alot of ways they belong in the same sentence.

In three years we will see if this "soft" reciever as you claim is productive or not. My opinion is he will be one of the more productive recievers in this class.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Why, they all were knocked for slow 40's. They all have great hands. Carter and Jarrett both are a little cocky. So in alot of ways they belong in the same sentence.

In three years we will see if this "soft" reciever as you claim is productive or not. My opinion is he will be one of the more productive recievers in this class.
:thumbsup: i completly agree

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One could argue that the speed of the game has changed (increased) since Rice and Carter were in their prime.

I still like Bowe due to his fearlessness over the middle, excellent blocking and 4 year production.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

I think he'll be a #2 WR but never a go to guy and not Cris Carter or Jerry Rice.

Do you relize who you are comparing him too? If you truly believe he is on that level then he should be a top 5 overall pick in this Draft. What the heck do you think of Calvin Johnson then? It doesn't get any better than Carter or Rice. Comparing Jarrett to two future Hall of Famers is a little overboard for a guy who will not go in the top 20 of the NFL Draft this year.

It's one thing to make comparisons but it's another to have a man crush. I think Keyshaun Johnson is a reasonable comparison for Dwayne Jarrett. Not Jerry Rice who some think is the greatest football player to ever live.

When Chris Houston gets drafted watch the highlight they show on him of him pressing Jarrett. Watch what it does. If you can find that game you have the blueprint to stop Jarrett. Yes he can improve but he's not an elite WR like some thought he was.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:
porky88 said:

I think he'll be a #2 WR but never a go to guy and not Cris Carter or Jerry Rice.

Do you relize who you are comparing him too? If you truly believe he is on that level then he should be a top 5 overall pick in this Draft. What the heck do you think of Calvin Johnson then? It doesn't get any better than Carter or Rice. Comparing Jarrett to two future Hall of Famers is a little overboard for a guy who will not go in the top 20 of the NFL Draft this year.

It's one thing to make comparisons but it's another to have a man crush. I think Keyshaun Johnson is a reasonable comparison for Dwayne Jarrett. Not Jerry Rice who some think is the greatest football player to ever live.

When Chris Houston gets drafted watch the highlight they show on him of him pressing Jarrett. Watch what it does. If you can find that game you have the blueprint to stop Jarrett. Yes he can improve but he's not an elite WR like some thought he was.

LOL.. the comparison to be made is both were thought to be slow comming into the draft. Heck if Rice was comming out in this draft with a 4.67 time and comming from a small college would he get drafted?

Do I think he is the second comming of Rice, not a chance. Read my post where I mentioned Rice in the first place, HE HAD ALMOST THE INDENTICAL 40 TIMES. And one cannot deny that Jarrett has can catch the rock. So to compare Jarrett to Rice in terms of speed and hands is fair. Jarrett is only 20 years old and I have no idea how he is going to fair over his career. But he has produced in college so far.

He should be a first round prospect in my opinion. Speaking of man crushes, how high do you have Olsen going? :)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Pack93z said:
porky88 said:

LOL.. the comparison to be made is both were thought to be slow comming into the draft. Heck if Rice was comming out in this draft with a 4.67 time and comming from a small college would he get drafted?

Do I think he is the second comming of Rice, not a chance. Read my post where I mentioned Rice in the first place, HE HAD ALMOST THE INDENTICAL 40 TIMES. And one cannot deny that Jarrett has can catch the rock. So to compare Jarrett to Rice in terms of speed and hands is fair. Jarrett is only 20 years old and I have no idea how he is going to fair over his career. But he has produced in college so far.

He should be a first round prospect in my opinion. Speaking of man crushes, how high do you have Olsen going? :)

I defended Olsen and I have a man crush on him. I get your making a joke but don't take me out of context. I hate it when people do that. It‘s like my pet peeve. If anything mine would be Eric Weddle.

I have Olsen going as high to the Panthers and as low to the Jets. I believe I told you before that if he was in last years draft class I would have him as a 2nd round pick. He's going to go high because there is no one else. He is "THE" guy in this draft which is what I meant by elite. Not that he is one of the best players in this Draft. I only said the Pack would take him because I have a hunch they would. Not necessary because I want them too. I wouldn’t mind the pick but I rather have Lynch, Nelson, or Bowe at 16 first. Olsen would be my fourth option.

Jarrett’s problems are speed, attitude, and getting off the line of scrimmage. I think he'll be a #2 WR but I hate it when people choose to take his negative and try to make him out as a positive in that way. Fine but make it reasonable not because he is your guy and let's compare him to the two best to ever play the position. I watched Bill Walsh on NFL Network and he said Rice ran a 4.59 40 which is .3 faster than Jarrett’s recorded fastest time thus far. This is a pretty decent amount in difference.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:
porky88 said:
Pack93z said:
porky88 said:

I defended Olsen and I have a man crush on him. I get your making a joke but don't take me out of context. I hate it when people do that. It‘s like my pet peeve. If anything mine would be Eric Weddle.

I have Olsen going as high to the Panthers and as low to the Jets. I believe I told you before that if he was in last years draft class I would have him as a 2nd round pick. He's going to go high because there is no one else. He is "THE" guy in this draft which is what I meant by elite. Not that he is one of the best players in this Draft. I only said the Pack would take him because I have a hunch they would. Not necessary because I want them too. I wouldn’t mind the pick but I rather have Lynch, Nelson, or Bowe at 16 first. Olsen would be my fourth option.

Jarrett’s problems are speed, attitude, and getting off the line of scrimmage. I think he'll be a #2 WR but I hate it when people choose to take his negative and try to make him out as a positive in that way. Fine but make it reasonable not because he is your guy and let's compare him to the two best to ever play the position. I watched Bill Walsh on NFL Network and he said Rice ran a 4.59 40 which is .3 faster than Jarrett’s recorded fastest time thus far. This is a pretty decent amount in difference.

Jarrett isn't my guy, but everyone seems to knock down a productive reciever throughout his career. That is where the Rice comparison comes in, that is all. Jarrett's fastest time is 4.62 to your said Rice time of 4.59. Do you really believe after you put on the pads and start playing the game that the .03 difference is going to amount to alot? During the fourth quarter or the last couple of games of the season, is there 40 time going to mean squat?

I can't believe I am even typing this, like anyone has a science to drafting. To be debating this is silly, maybe someday Jarrett or Olsen might be the next great. Who knows. The draft is a crap shot, alot depends on the things that can't be measured at the combine or at a pro-day. It depends on the drive of the player, most players have their strengths and weaknesses. Can they utilize and maximize what they have and does the coaching staff utilize it.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing Jerry Rice did was workout like a horse. The guy ran hills ever day. He ran miles every day. He was in better shape than anyone on the field. He didn’t lose a step. In the 4th he still had that 4.59 and when he was being chased, he was even faster.

Does Jarrett have that work ethic? It’s not bad but it’s not even close to that. He’s also not as elusive as Rice and his hands are great but not exceptional like Jerry Rice. He certainly was productive and I love that about him but when you examine this draft class he is not in the top notch shape guy like Jerry Rice was in is and that is how Jerry Rice made up for his lack of speed. I have no problem comparing players but to compare Jarrett to Rice is like comparing Charlie Frye to Brett Favre.

Pack93z

Reaction score
I have no problem comparing players but to compare Jarrett to Rice is like comparing Charlie Frye to Brett Favre.

My comparison was the fact that both comming out were considered slow. And comming out Rice was productive and had great hands, in college, that is the only comparison that I made.

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Jonathan Stewart's toe injury and surgery, he might still be there at 30 if TT wants to take him. I hear it will be close, but Stewart should be ready for training camp. I would think long and hard if he is still on the board at #30.

Members online

Latest posts