One Bear's loss...?

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/384373-carimi-a-no-show-at-bears-otas?xid=si_nfl

If Carimi is shown the door in Chicago, despite the circumstances of his potential release, I hope TT is on the phone to the kid ASAP to come and challenge for our RT position. He's going to have little leverage on the open market to command big money because he's still within the parameters of his rookie deal.

I think he's a guy whose coaching has been terrible, and his partners along the OL are arguably the worst in the NFL since he landed in Chicago. If he's not showing up, I can't say I blame him. He's young enough that he could easily land our starting spot and develop into a rock at RT.

Frankly, if I was TT, I'd offer a fourth rounder for the guy right now. We have compensatory picks coming to us- spend one of those on him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If Carimi is waived he would no longer be under his rookie deal, but the rookie deal would be in place if he were traded. However, Carimi suffered a season ending knee injury in his second game in the NFL. It was reported to be either a knee or a patella dislocation. He had three surgeries before the start of last season. He went on to lose the RT job because he graded out as the worst pass protector on their OL and then played OG but was benched again for poor play. Was that all because of the knee? If so, how is his knee now? On Bears radio this morning they were talking about him and said right now he's their backup RG and they complained about the wasted first round pick and Mike Tice, at the time of his drafting saying, 'He's already an elite NFL run blocker'.

Obviously I don't know the condition or Carimi's knee or whether or not it will ever be 100%. But IMO right now there isn't any evidence to back up the idea that he would easily win the RT job. He may in fact be a "rock", as in "can't move". ;)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far he has been awful, just awful, in pass protection, which certainly doesn't fit well into our offense. He got hurt, and whether or not he plays on the worst O-line in the league does not excuse him blowing off OTAs, which doesn't make him any more attractive than he already isn't.

I would pass.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he went to Utah State would you be saying this?

Anyway, I doubt the bears will drop him at this point. If they do, I'll trust the coaches to work him out and see if he's worth bringing on.

OP
OP
paulska

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously I don't know the condition or Carimi's knee or whether or not it will ever be 100%. But IMO right now there isn't any evidence to back up the idea that he would easily win the RT job. He may in fact be a "rock", as in "can't move". ;)

I didn't say that he would walk away with the RT job, only that I think he could be an intriguing, low cost tryout at a position we're pretty unsettled at. Sure, there are questions about his knee, but we all know the Bears sucked so bad they likely didn't do him any favours by getting him on the field as quickly as possible because he was still light years better than his backup, no matter how badly he played.

If his knee is on the mend and he has a chance at a full recovery, why not make a savvy IR move and stash him for a year- pay him a min salary to get fully healthy, let him get in our scheme and learn the way we approach the game, and turn him loose when he gets healthy?

Is he the future? Maybe not. But does he have more upside, with a healthy knee, than the guys we already have on the roster? There's a case to be made, especially with Sherrod not anything close to a lock to ever be right again.

If his knee is bum, obviously you don't trade for him. If it's solid, a low mid rounder flier on the guy? I think it's not a bad stab to take. Randy Moss was had for a 4th... If he turns out to give you four good years at RT? That's value.

Anyway, I thought it was an intriguing thought. Likelihood that TT does it? 0.9% I get it... :)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I didn't say that he would walk away with the RT job, only that I think he could be an intriguing, low cost tryout at a position we're pretty unsettled at.
Not a big deal but I was responding to this:
He's young enough that he could easily land our starting spot and develop into a rock at RT.
Whenever I see or hear someone suggest a player the Packers should acquire I think of how different Thompson and his staff likely view the situation than we do. I'll bet Carimi is on a list of players - currently unavailable in his case - and who knows where he's ranked on that list. It's no doubt the same with every position - a list prepared in case of injury to a Packers starter. Where do street FAs rank with the backups currently on the Packers' roster? Where do backups on other teams rank? What's the likely cost of their acquisition? According to Holmgren, when Thompson was with him in Seattle and a veteran acquisition was proposed, Thompson would usually say, 'I can find better in the draft'. That helps to explain Thompson's philosophy and also why the Packers very seldom go after players like Carimi. Right now there are several players who will vie for the RT spot, it would be very "un-Thompson-like" for the Packers to propose a trade for Carimi, before finding out if Thompson found a starting RT in the draft. My guess is because of his injury and the poor play that is available to review and the fact he's not available, Gabe is pretty far down whatever list he is on.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post ThxJackVainisi. I totally agree. Then again, it's a fact that they've got those free agent "depth chart" boards constantly updated and available if needed.

The big thing is Carimi's health. I think that his knee had everything to do with his poor play. Everything that an NFL player does depends greatly on the legs and his hasn't been healthy since Game 2 of 2011. Like most folks, I'd bring him in for a physical if he were available, but my general feeling is that we've got our own Gabe Carimi in Sherrod and I'd rather only deal with one offensive lineman trying to recover from a nasty leg injury.

Reaction score
If he were a guy that couldn't win a starting job on San Fran's oline - then great, bring him in.

But since he's a guy that couldn't earn a starting job for Chicago's Oline :sick: ...oh hell no.

Members online

Latest posts