Once Again Serious Post-draft Related Medical Issues Emerge…

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It happens every season. Regardless of all of the research and effort that goes into controlling these debilitating issues – they seem to rear their ugly heads each and every year about this time.

With the many medical and technological advances, one would think that something could-be, should-be would-be done to control these heartbreaking conditions that afflict so many annually.

I am sure you all know what I am talking about. That’s right, I am referring to Post-draft Psychosis, which often weakens our immune systems, leading to Monodraftulosis.

I know denial is strong, and it will keep some of you from having a clue about or taking in what I am writing about – it’s all right brothers and sisters, I have been there too. But for those of you, who are scratching your heads wondering what the heck is he talking about? let me explain:

When a 22 year old (67th pick of the draft) is less than 6 foot tall and runs his best 40 yard dash in 4.75, yet you are convinced that he is faster than a speeding bullet and leaps tall building in a single bound(and you start penciling him in to the Pro Bowl before he has played a single down in the NFL) – you can bet you are suffering from Post-draft Psychosis, with early onset of Monodraftulosis.

Hell, you probably are suffering from at least one of these two conditions if you believe all of the tall talk above about even A.J. Hawk, the 5th player selected in the draft – especially if you are adding that he is a lock to make the Hall of Fame. Don’t get me wrong, it could happen, but those who are not suffering from these debilitating conditions likely would want to wait to see a few NFL games under his belt before uttering such hyperbole.

The first case sited is a serious, but treatable. A few doses of reality (with a spoon full of sugar of course) and a couple of days of staying away from all draft analysis (pre and post) and you will be on the mend. You will know for certain you are on the road to recovery when you remember that Abdul Hodge, while a wonderful prospect, is going to be a rookie who will need to develop considerably in order to take his game to the next level. And you will begin to remember that he was not even the best LB on a decent (but not great) Iowa football team. It is then that your vision will return and you will see that while he has good upper body strength and long arms, he also has bird like legs. You will notice that he can play too high at times and gets caught on blocks too often. You may even see his pedestrian coverage skills that are a result of tightness in his lower body – especially his hips. If the lighting is just right you may even see that he is a tad on the short side.

The second case sited is a mild one. It can be treated with a good night’s sleep and a single dose of reality (for medicinal purposes only, of course). You will know that you are OK when you can clearly see that this talented athlete from the Ohio State University is explosive, some times too explosive, causing him to over run plays. You may even notice that he occasionally lets blockers lock into his body (which will not work with the size and speed of the Players he will face in the NFL) and that he will need to protect his legs better to keep from being cut and to protect his health and well-being. Good lighting will also reveal that A.J. is not exactly tall either, though he may seem to tower over Abdul.

I do not meaning to scare any of you, but if you start getting really excited about drafting Tony Moll, who was honest enough to say, "I felt like my biggest and best chance would be as a free agent." Or about drafting Johnny Jolly and start comparing him to Gilbert (the Gravedigger) Brown, you are in serious trouble. Home treatment is not likely to be effective, instead you should check into treatment immediately. Don’t worry if the swelling in your brain causes you to score a 10 on the Wonderlic test – like J.J. did at the combine – in your case it is explainable to your illness and may not last.

Oh My God, I just realized in rereading this – I’m suffering a relapse. DAMN, I thought the vaccination I took at the end of our 4 and 12 season would protect me. Must go find a dose of reality and breath fresh air… before it is too late…sorry, too weak to edit… :wink:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should we not be excited by the good draft?

Im confused...which happens often.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Should we not be excited by the good draft?

Im confused...which happens often.

I am not big on shoulds, but I think it was a nice solid draft. It was not an indictment of the draft or any of the players picked. Rather it was a playful jab at how being caught up in the excitement and hype can breed some extremely high and unfair expectations.

If you are excited, by all means be excited. I thought TT did nice work and rated it about an A-/B+ -- a solid A on day one.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of people COULD get excited for no reason, but like you said, solid draft.

I like how the Bears had a bad draft, and the fans know it(poor phil).

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce - Good insight on the draft. To make more sense of the draft, we should probably be analyzing the 2002 draft. Then, we could talk about how good or bad the players actually are. Instead, we look at how the players did in the minor league (NCAA). Remember, these good players are now playing against the best from every year the past 10 years. What makes these new players so special? Nothing really, until they prove that they can take it to the next level. Here is a question: How many of the Packer fans on this site have seen any of your draft picks playing in a real game? I would guess AJ Hawk, OSU vs WISC. But did you really notice Hawk when playing? Anyways, hope is a good thing to have. Since the Bears have given me none, I am somewhat jealous.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i HOPE we play well. and bruce, can i get a shot of that reality? i swear i'll only use it for medicinal purposes.... plus i hear it's good for arthritis!

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i HOPE we play well. and bruce, can i get a shot of that reality? i swear i'll only use it for medicinal purposes.... plus i hear it's good for arthritis!

Shhhh... I can hook you up, but we have to be very careful -- the Feds are really cracking down on its distribution these days. :wink:

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Once Again Serious Post-draft Related Medical Issues Eme

As I said at PackerChatters, Bruce, right on.

I think the NFL draft has evolved almost into a comedy. (Thanks to fantasy sports) We tend to think that a rookie and a veteran are on the same level. They aren't. Few rookies(Hawk might be an exceptiong, who knows?) can step in and do much. All they are drafted on is college performance and pro potential. All 12 draft picks do is mean we might find 6...instead of having 7 and finding 3. 30 years ago when I was 21, I had the world figured out until I actually started making my way in the world.
Never forget these kids are 21 years old, and most of them are as concerned about what's on tap this weekend as memorizing the playbook.

If a pattern has developed with TT, both in free agency and the draft, is he's willing to take a risk on long shots. Short term injuries shouldn't be that much of a problem.

I'm more concerned about the lingering veteran's injuries.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah Bruce, you are right but reality is a little harsh so soon.

All these great draft guys have just become inexperienced deer-in-the-headlights rookies.

About the best you can hope for with rookies is that they have a Barnett or Collins type rookie year. A great rookie produces an average NFL season.

Some here may remember as I do one of the greatest rookie seasons by a Packer. In 1972 Willie Buchanon started at CB as a rookie. He intercepted 4 passes and the Packer D did not permit a touchdown pass until week 8.
The second round pick the "Polish Prince" had a good rookie season that year also.

Most rookies who play right away have a very disappointing rookie year like Bubba Franks or Ahmad Carroll. Let's expect too much of this year's rookie class. Let's not give up on last year's like Whiticker who can only get better.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said Bruce. I've been hinting at this but was quickly shot down as a "joykill ******" and "not a Packer fan".

Welcome to reality.

We thought we had a great draft last season based on the very early returns. As it is now most of these guys think Martin is our future QB. They've already thrown Rodgers under the bus. Murphy get's injured. Poppinga and Manning's future as starters is iffy at best. Hawkins has a history of injuries. RIGHT NOW it looks like the only impact player out of that draft is Nick Collins. Of course everything can change in just one mini-camp.

Some fans want this to be an exact science. It is far from that.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Well said Bruce. I've been hinting at this but was quickly shot down as a "joykill ******" and "not a Packer fan".

Welcome to reality.

We thought we had a great draft last season based on the very early returns. As it is now most of these guys think Martin is our future QB. They've already thrown Rodgers under the bus. Murphy get's injured. Poppinga and Manning's future as starters is iffy at best. Hawkins has a history of injuries. RIGHT NOW it looks like the only impact player out of that draft is Nick Collins. Of course everything can change in just one mini-camp.

Some fans want this to be an exact science. It is far from that.

I think we had a great draft last year as well as this year. TT had a disappointing start to being a GM, but the best work he did was the draft.

I firmly believe that Rodgers will be the #2 QB this season and he's a perfect fit for MM's return to the traditional WCO. A very accurate passer who doesn't make many big turnover mistakes. He's got a year of NFL learning experience behind a hall-of-fame QB. He's been in GB all offseason, throwing to teammates, lifting with teammates, learning the new offense. Martin has a lot of work to catch up.

As for Poppinga and Manning, 2 very good LBs who will definitely push for playing time. It's very likely that Poppinga will start at strong side, with Hawk at weak and Barnett in the middle. Manning did great as an undrafted FA and he's brought up his game. Due to our LB depth right now, he's going to fill in as a Lenon type of backup -- the one backup who can play all 3 spots.

Hawkins was pushing for playing time until getting injured. He's healthy and working out with the team. A very raw talent who needs more experience. Could be a good starter in a couple years. Still a great pickup.

Montgomery is our depth at DE and I think he will push KGB for playing time.

Collins' value is obvious.

A good evaluation of a draft is after about 3 years. In that time, I believe that we will have 3-4 starters from last years' draft: Collins, Montgomery, Hawkins, Poppinga. If only 3, then we end up with some very good depth.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot to talk about Coston and Whitticker. Coston didn't get a chance to show his stuff, but he appears to be a perfect fit for the zone blocking scheme. Whitt was thrown into the fire last year as a rookie and struggled. It takes a couple years for offensive linemen to develop and he was a great pickup for the 7th round.

Underwood also struggled as a rookie, but got some good experience. He adds some solid depth to our secondary.

Herron was a good pick-up. He didn't make the Steeler's roster due to their RB depth, but they really wanted to keep him. He's more in the mold of a 3rd down back, but that's exactly what we need with Fisher gone. It will be difficult to make the team, but they may decide that Davenport is too fragile.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I disagree but that's why you can't tell for a few years. I think the injury to Murphy killed this draft. It's all just a guess...yours and mine....but my guess is that Rodgers will be a "servicable" NFL QB but not a longtime starter in this league. Poppinga has injury problems and may get the inside track to start at the beginning of the season but will ultimately be a special teams player and backup LB. Hawkins has potential but will be a backup. Montgomery is depth IF he makes the roster.

One thing we do agree on. It may be too early to assess the above but it only took one year to see that Collins is a stud!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Well I disagree but that's why you can't tell for a few years. I think the injury to Murphy killed this draft. It's all just a guess...yours and mine....but my guess is that Rodgers will be a "servicable" NFL QB but not a longtime starter in this league. Poppinga has injury problems and may get the inside track to start at the beginning of the season but will ultimately be a special teams player and backup LB. Hawkins has potential but will be a backup. Montgomery is depth IF he makes the roster.

One thing we do agree on. It may be too early to assess the above but it only took one year to see that Collins is a stud!

Basically what I'm saying is that for me, last year's draft has the same hope as this year's draft class. These are young players who have never seen this level of competition. No one can accurately predict how well any of them will handle the transition.

BTW, I'm confident that Montgomery will make the roster -- especially considering our lack of depth at DE.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Aaron Rodgers as another Hasselback, put a good team around him and he looks good. If not he will struggle and get blamed.

NiVeK

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers seems puny and looks like a pretty boy.
I don't like him, but if he's good I will. Maybe he should grow some facial hair or sumtin, he seems so young.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score

MinnesotaSucks said:
I don't like him, but if he's good I will. Maybe he should grow some facial hair or sumtin, he seems so young.

Yeah, Orton looked pretty good in that beard...

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Yeah, a lot of people COULD get excited for no reason, but like you said, solid draft.

I like how the Bears had a bad draft, and the fans know it(poor phil).

Not as bad as you think. They actually filled a few minor things that were holding them back(CB/KR/LB). Their defense should be stronger this season and have more depth and the offense won't have to rely on a rookie 4th round QB (who sucks), their RB's are solid and WR's are all healthy. Also the fact that Bobby "bobbles" Wade won't be returning kicks is a also going to help the field position which the Bears were horrible at last season. You just might be surprised. :wink:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you got your fullback though!

but no tight end!

LOL!

losers.

You had multiple shots at Pope

C-Mize

Cheesehead
Reaction score

MinnesotaSucks said:

I agree, ever since we got him I havent really like what he's about. I know he's hardly played, but I am just saying he seems like a California Pretty Boy w/ kind of a stiff personality. I just wish we could get a tough, hard-nosed QB that takes no **** from anybody, loose, gunslinger. Maybe I'm just a dreamer, but I would like to have another QB just like Brett Favre, but maybe it will be better to have a change...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts