1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OMG i might be moving to Milwaukee

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by JoshTheChild, Feb 25, 2008.

1. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say I am pretty mad and upset about it, but my wife got a killer job out there in the cancer center. all of the H-town spots were taken so holy crap. lol anybody here like Milwaukee? I love living and houston and I am hoping that I dont have to end up moving

2. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I lived 30min north of Milwaukee my entire life (until 2000) I would move back in a second.

3. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    really? so it must not be bad?

4. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope you realize that when they want to take the temperature of the earth, a rectal thermometer is inserted into Milwaukee? :p

5. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    At least you'll be surrounded by Packer fans.

My experience of living in Houston was you got a lot of fair weather fans, no matter what the sport.

But I hope you can stomach the cold.

6. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    hahaha. i have nothing against milwaukee. that was just funny!

7. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,479
    I live 10 mins south of milwaukee airport

I dont mind it one bit and never have..With that said it all depends on where you end up living..

Any idea where the job is? And if you would move close to it, or want to be in "burbs"

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Do you know what the difference is between an oral and rectal thermometer????

The TASTE!!!! :shock: :lol:

9. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I was born and raised on the South side of Milwaukee. Now i live about 30 miles North of Milwaukee.
    I think it's a beautiful city, for a big city.
    Look at it this way.........you would only be a couple hours away from Lambeau Field! :D

10. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ya the packers are the only thing that is keeping me sane about this move. but it will be really hard leaving the rockets and astros behind. this means I will have to give up my rockets season tickets

11. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Josh,
    You'll like Milwaukee. Just learn "Milwaukee Dutch" language, (Cheesey can teach ya, you betcha ainso!) Learn what a "bubbler" is (not an oil well); how to say "going down by Schusters on toid street"; love Usingers Sausage; kick back and enjoy the Third Ward district; sail a boat and join the McKinely Yacht Club; follow the Brewers and Bucks; drink Miller Beer; get a beer belly and go netting for smelt on the pier.

doesn't get any better than that.........................but watch out for the humidity and drivers...My brother lives downtown and thinks Commerce Street and Humboldt Ave. are the Autobahn.

12. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The biggest problem for you will be the taxes. From a place with no state income tax to one of the highest-taxed states in the Union (still better than Canada though).

13. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You mean the Astros will be losing their fan?

Hmm...maybe you should stay in Houston.

14. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Texas really screws you with property taxes. States get their money one way or another. Texas gets their money by property taxes.

I'm not even joking about this. I used to own 2 houses in Texas. Beautiful houses. Huge, brick, had lots of lot space. Most expensive one was $130k. I paid more in property taxes in that house than I do in my California house. Not joking.

15. Packers_Finland

Packers_Finland Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know 'bout you guys, but we have a 44% income tax here. That's almost half your salary going into taxes.

16. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    uh oh milwaukee better be awesome lol, I am moving there next year in may! i will be a college graduate by then and my wifey will be a masters graduate

17. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    my friends are hating on me calling me sale out! they said they are pretty sure the nightlife in houston owns milwaukee. I told them that I am not moving to milwaukee for the night life but I am moving there for the better life overall

18. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    you're married? my friend, the nightlife will soon be nothing but a memory in your rear-view mirror

19. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,479
    Once again where exactly in milwaukee where you be moving to? In the heart of it, out skirts?

The downtown night life is good..There is a HUGE amount of bars near the Bradley Center on Water Street..Lot of them on the milwaukee River..Even a boat that you can take to go bar hoping in spring and summer

The summer time with all the lake front festivals are top notch and some consider Summerfest the BEST music festival in the WORLD

I bet the only thing Houston has over Milwaukee is winter time

I will be glad to help you out when you move here, just let me know

20. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

we do not have an exact destination yet but pretty much maybe the burbs?

21. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,479
    Yeah i figured you wont know exactly WHERE, but maybe a general idea?

where is the place located at that she will be working? That will give you a better feeling of where you could start to look

22. olpete

olpete Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to watch your 'Stros, they're in the same division as the Brewers, so you should get a sizable dose.

Be sure and post where you're thinking of living and I'll bet you get plenty of help. I'm in the city in a neighborhood called Bay View. Lots of older homes mostly built in the 20s.

23. ElleBlue

ElleBlue Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I visited Milwaukee in the summer time. It was nice. I went to some of the lakefront festivals. I had a blast. The people were nice. When they heard our accents, they knew we were from the East Coast and wondered how we came to be Packer fans.

24. ftwuno

ftwuno Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    milwaukee wisconsin, yeah i have been there a few times.

fishing lake michigan for trout between march and april is the best in the world.

in summer, you can catch huge lake perch from shore, just need three things, very wam, an easterly wind, and no rain.

remember these words SUMMERFEST. you will like this. It has greatly changed over the last few years, but it is still a great time with great fireworks.

the main thing about the city is to have a hobby in winter. ice fishing, snowmobiling, bowling, skiing, are the most logical.

Camping, swiming, baseball, festivals , ALPINE VALLEY, Summer Fun, you will create memories here you will never forget!!!

25. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I used to live in Bay View! On Otjen street!
    When i was a kid, we would go to the old Avalon theater all the time!