Old War Horse may not be finished yet...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have assumed that Scott Wells would be the starting Center in 06. Apparently I may have been a bit hasty. Thompson said he wants Flanagan back as the starter.

"We've been talking extensively to him," Thompson said. "Whether or not it happens before the start of free agency, we'd like to. But that's part of free agency, too."

Flanagan, 32, didn't play up to his standards last season but part of that was the operation for a sports hernia that cost him two games and portions of several others. The Packers admired Flanagan for his courage and, according to Thompson, aren't trying to low-ball him now. His old deal was worth $10.2 million for five years.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"He does want to come back - under the right conditions," agent Jim Steiner said. "I think they do appreciate him and like him a lot. He's totally healthy - 100%. It's just a matter of coming to terms on a new contract."

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is outstanding news and I hope Flanny has recovered 100%. I thought he was done too, however I had White penciled in at center with Wells as backup.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe TT is not that bad and he is not triyng to fire all the old players..

Who knows I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until something is clear !!!

Until this season finishes !!!

Or at least until it begins !!

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see it as a good sign too! Flanagan is one of the better Centers in the league when healthy and has the kind of athleticism required to play center in a zone blocking scheme.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
Maybe TT is not that bad and he is not triyng to fire all the old players..

did you actually believe he was doing that? :roll: He is just getting rid of the assclowns (Cledius hunt, joey thomas. hopefully ahmad carroll next)

i wouldnt blame him for not getting flanny. flanny SUCKED last year. he had SURGERY, and he is getting OLD.

Now I might sound like an 'ingrate' but no..i just want the best players out there at all times. If it is flanny(which i dont think he will be unfortunately) then good, good for him, good for the team...

i just dont think it will happen.

Leelee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, if Frankie "Bag o' Donuts" Winters could play as long as he did, why not Flanagan? Good deal.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta say.......I'm SHOCKED! I really thought it was "stick a fork in him" time for Flanagan. I'm GLAD if i was wrong! If he can play up to his pre injury status, that would be HUGE! He was a really great center!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never thought Flanny wouldn't be back. His quality of play couldn't be judged with an injury like that but his courage sure can be for even attempting to play with it.
Suiting up with THAT INJURY! Going up against 300 lb guys in the National Footbal League! Wow. Now that's a man right there. Your damn right the coaches have huge respect for him.
An average guy could barely get up a flight of stairs with that injury.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah..

Let's get all new rookies who SUCK....

(that's the ticket..!!)

Wouldn't mind seeing a few "assclowns" go on this board as well...oh well

ce la vie..

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flanigan was great.....if he can return to form, i say KEEP him. Training camp should prove that either way. To put it all on rookies is flushing the season down the toilet. They rarely pan out their first year.

Reaction score
Honestly 66, musy you take a shot at other members EVERY time you friggin post? Honestly it's funny you say that because I assure you there are a few people who wouldn't mind seeing you go too.....

Give TT and MM credit, Flanny is a PACKER PEOPLE they want, and I'm glad to see at least an effort to keep him. I hoenstly don't know if Flanny is on the down side of his career, but I'd be willing to take a chance that he still has something left. He is a class act, and our O-Line leader. No question asked, he can definitly do at least a decent job in the Zone blocking system.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HEY allabout! Hows it goin' this evening?

I know what you mean..........some people just seem to want to take pot shots at others. If i don't agree with someone, i try to give my opinion, and leave it at that. But, i guess some like to take a few shots.........to each his own! :wink: :D

Reaction score
cheesey, truth be told I'm sick...... so could be doing a little better....

lol you know I'm going to go read around a bit.... could do with a few good jokes, (*note to self: ignore cheesey's posts*) :wink:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First......Sorry to hear you are ILL allabout! :(
I hope tomorrow is better for you!!!
And......you are RIGHT!!! If you are looking for just "GOOD" jokes, ignore my posts! Cause mine are WAY beyond GOOD!!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Flanigan was great.....if he can return to form, i say KEEP him. Training camp should prove that either way. To put it all on rookies is flushing the season down the toilet. They rarely pan out their first year.

The sad thing is, when most players reach 30 they start to decline. Most people at this board doesn't realize that the old players that have started to decline won't ever be as good as they were, therefore we would i. e be better off with Wells playing center, because I think he's going to be better this season than Flanagan is.

Pack66 is against any changes whatsoever, I think he probably would want to keep every remain of the old team intact untill they all retired and the Packers were like the old Boston Celtics. Our young players need to play to get better, they don't get better warming the bench.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt, the OL was the most disappointing aspect of the team last year. It never got nor does it get enough attention. It's the 1st thing that needs to be fixed on this team in my mind! Their inability to come together and play well early in the year, really put the team behind the 8 ball and on ice in the end. The one bright spot on the OL was the play of Scott Wells @ LG. He wasn't outstanding, particularly against bigger opponents, but the unit seemed to gel and definitely played better once he was inserted into the lineup. Therefore, I would think the team would like to bring back Flanny so that they could maintain some continuity by leaving Wells @ LG?? That being said, who knows what the new OL has in mind?? He may not like Wells @ LG. Obviously, Flanagan has to be available @ the right price; I wouldn't see the team spending hugh $$ on the guy?

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gakk there are Plenty of Players still playing great from the 29-35 year old range. It is a falicy to think that just because a player reaches 30 it is time to cut ties and loose him. I say if he can contribute on a consistant basis you atleast look to keep them. Alot of things must be considered but you have to get veterens on the field. LEADERSHIP is not given it is earned. The O-line has to have it as well.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Several posters are (IMHO) pretty close to the hammer hittin' the nail ----

IF, and I say " IF " .... Flanny's truly 100%, then he should be able to prove that rather quickly. Like a poster pointed out, it'll happen in the "Mini-camps", they won't be waitin' for the real deal and Pre-season before they start pushin' the rough stuff - not with this Head Coach, they won't.....

He'a a far cry from Mister Laxadazical (Sherman) with the half day only workouts and the non-free weights workout room. Trust me, you can only gain so much strength using Hammer-strength equipment in the Gym - free weights build unified strength overall - and McCarthy knows that.

I say if TT's really been talkin' with his Agent, in efforts to re-sign him.... then TT will most likely go about it in one way only... and that's with a one year deal, and promioses to keep re-signing a one-year deal, until his play forces a change in the status quo. A one-year deal with incentives, for a stellar season. That way, in order to make a huge amount of dough this coming season before the CBA fruition (not) finally occurs.. He'll have some cash in the bank, at least.

In 2007 - Flanny becomes a non-contract year casualty. He's gone.
Truth is, quite a few Players all around the League may be in just exactly the same position - including Brett Favre.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
Gakk there are Plenty of Players still playing great from the 29-35 year old range. It is a falicy to think that just because a player reaches 30 it is time to cut ties and loose him. I say if he can contribute on a consistant basis you atleast look to keep them. Alot of things must be considered but you have to get veterens on the field. LEADERSHIP is not given it is earned. The O-line has to have it as well.

yea sure, but most our 29 - 35 year olds haven't done a real good job lately, including Flanagan.

Members online

Latest posts