OLD SCHOOL

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is classic!

-30 years ago today, Lynn ****ey was 27-31 for 333 yards and 5 TDs, but #Packers needed 42-yard Jan Stenerud FG to beat Oilers 41-38 in OT.

Who else has some recollection of this.... I don't specifically, but I do remember Lynn being great, with no defense to help him out.

Those stats would be a phenomenal game even for Rodgers.
But would Missin Crosby make the needed FG at the end?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is classic!

-30 years ago today, Lynn ****ey was 27-31 for 333 yards and 5 TDs, but #Packers needed 42-yard Jan Stenerud FG to beat Oilers 41-38 in OT.

Who else has some recollection of this.... I don't specifically, but I do remember Lynn being great, with no defense to help him out.

Well first of all, Fwank, his name is Mason. The childish names are getting a bit stale. Second, Stenerud wasn't all that great, with a career average of 66% and 51% from 40-49 yards, so yeah, Crosby's chances of hitting that FG would be better than Stenerud's.

I suspect if Stenerud was kicking today you'd be calling him Jane Stenerud or some other such name.

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well first of all, Fwank, his name is Mason. The childish names are getting a bit stale.
For you, yeah.
As for me I like Missin. Gotta remember to start using that. ;)

I think MM kept him around to inspire the rest of the O.
Aaron Rodgers in the huddle: Guys, lets do all we can to keep Missin on the sidelines. OK?

I would love to see Mason improve. But until he does, he's Missin.

12theTruth

This is classic!

Ahh!! The days of Paul Coffman and Gerry Ellis :) Those games were fun to watch despite a horrid defense.

Last edited by a moderator:

12theTruth

Well first of all, Fwank, his name is Mason. The childish names are getting a bit stale. Second, Stenerud wasn't all that great, with a career average of 66% and 51% from 40-49 yards, so yeah, Crosby's chances of hitting that FG would be better than Stenerud's.

I suspect if Stenerud was kicking today you'd be calling him Jane Stenerud or some other such name.

How bout Randy Wrong? Is that OK by you?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby's chances of hitting that FG would be better than Stenerud's
The difference here being that Stenerud actually made the attempt...no hypothetical situations involved here. Stenerud was a better overall kicker for the Packers (81% vs 77%)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who else has some recollection of this....
A good game indeed but not all that much different than some of Rodgers shootouts, such as the 2009 games against Pittsburgh and Arizona. The main difference being that Archie Manning's game was trumped by Earl Campbell running all over the place for 3 or 4 touchdowns himself.

To me the most impressive stat from that game was ****ey going 27-31. He played pretty good in the Redskins MNF game later that season as well, which, was lost on a missed medium-range field goal by Washington's Mosely.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I drove to Atlanta twice for Packer games when ****ey was the QB. We blew them out the first game and the scoring included one of ****ey's beautiful long balls that hit Lofton in stride down the sideline. The second game looked to be a repeat when we led something like 24-7 at halftime. The Falcons came back in the second half, however, and ****ey threw a pick 6 that allowed them to tie the game late. He then threw another pick 6 at the start of overtime. Long ride home that night...

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I drove to Atlanta twice for Packer games when ****ey was the QB. We blew them out the first game and the scoring included one of ****ey's beautiful long balls that hit Lofton in stride down the sideline. The second game looked to be a repeat when we led something like 24-7 at halftime. The Falcons came back in the second half, however, and ****ey threw a pick 6 that allowed them to tie the game late. He then threw another pick 6 at the start of overtime. Long ride home that night...
I remember that game!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
****ey holds the title for easiest QB to sack in the history of the NFL. I swear you could knock him down with the turbulence of waving your arm at him.

I think he may have been so frail that Starr told him to get down quickly if you thought you may get hit.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
****ey holds the title for easiest QB to sack in the history of the NFL. I swear you could knock him down with the turbulence of waving your arm at him.

I think he may have been so frail that Starr told him to get down quickly if you thought you may get hit.
Very true.
But he still was more mobile than that defense was effective!

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How bout Randy Wrong? Is that OK by you?

Good lord, he was horrible. I knew Forrest Gregg was off his rocker, when he thought Randy Wright was an actual NFL-caliber starting QB. I recall friends who were Badgers fans telling me, "Oh, he's fine, he'll be totally serviceable", etc. Um, no. Wright was not serviceable, he sucked goat balls. Biggest deer in the headlights ever against the Bears, as well. Ugh, those years were terrible, lol.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Although I don't remember that particular game because the beatings just kind of meshed together into one great, big beating after a while, I remember power house offensive output negated by non-existent defense. Man, Lynn ****ey throwing to Lofton, Jefferson and Coffman - you know, ****ey was one of the greatest pure passers I've ever seen and was thrilled when we picked him up from, I think, the Oilers. Unfortunately, by that time his legs consisted of banged up bones, skin and knee braces. ANY defense would have made the Pack contenders.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I don't remember that particular game because the beatings just kind of meshed together into one great, big beating after a while, I remember power house offensive output negated by non-existent defense. Man, Lynn ****ey throwing to Lofton, Jefferson and Coffman - you know, ****ey was one of the greatest pure passers I've ever seen and was thrilled when we picked him up from, I think, the Oilers. Unfortunately, by that time his legs consisted of banged up bones, skin and knee braces. ANY defense would have made the Pack contenders.

Totally agreed. He was a great pure passer, but I wouldn't say he was the most accurate. He threw a lot of picks. He wasn't quite as reckless in the sandlot "aw shucks, I'm winging it, f 'em" style that Favre was. But he threw quite a few picks and those turnovers killed us, because the defense sucked. But yes, ****ey had a cannon and could heave it as far as anyone.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That MNF Redskins game was all-time great.... hard to believe with 90 points scored, we won when their MVP KICKER missed a FG at the end.

D

Dan115

NoNo problem was they were not fun times. Could not hold a lead. Those were bad years I only like to win ote="12theTruth, post: 511247, member: 5878"]LOL. Pretty boring games back then. I guess you fell asleep and had a miserable time watching the classic Monday night contest with the Redskins.[/quote]
No
uote="12theTruth, post: 511247, member: 5878"]LOL. Pretty boring games back then. I guess you fell asleep and had a miserable time watching the classic Monday night contest with the Redskins.[/quote]
Ni

Latest posts