OLD Articles on Super Bowl XXXI

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was looking at some archives and old articles on the net on Super Bowl XXXI and I came across some really interesting quotes from some well known names.

Michael Wilbon, Washington Post

Whatever the spread is, forget it. Not gonna happen. The Green Bay Packers aren't going to win by 14 points or 13 points or whatever silly margin the oddsmakers have set up. In fact, the Green Bay Packers will be fortunate to win at all.

Michael Wilbon, Washington Post If I had to win one football game to save my life, I'd pick Bill Parcells to be the coach. Either him or Jimmy Johnson. It's that short a list. Parcells has proved beyond a doubt that he's one of the great leaders of men not just in the NFL, but in all of professional sports. The Patriots believe so profoundly in their coach that there's no way the Packers are going to win the Super Bowl by 14 points, if at all. Parcells is that good.

Dallas Morning News My guess is that Fritz Shurmur will impact Super Bowl XXXI as much as New England's Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick. He's thought of something special to befuddle young Drew Bledsoe, the New England passer. He usually does. You don't win against Shurmur when he owns all those defensive weapons in addition to a nimble mind. Not even if you're Parcells and Belichick. You wind up losing big as expected, 38-13.

John Madden, Fox television "Everybody thinks this game isn't gonna be close. They think Green Bay will win big. But I'm telling you, I've been looking at New England on film the last five or six days, and the Patriots do a lot of things that impress me. "I'm not into making predictions. . . . But I honestly think this could be one heck of a game. If there aren't any bad turnovers, I think it'll be close."

Howard Ulman, Associated Press Brett Favre had a great year. Reggie White is having a great career. But those big-play stars won't win the big one because of another fast-improving Patriot, rookie kicker Adam Vinatieri, whose field goal will be the difference. Patriots, 24-21.

Timothy Dwyer, Philadelphia Inquirer The Packers should kill the Patriots. Should. Except that Bill Parcells has had two weeks to prepare for the Packers, and if you give Parcells two weeks to come up with a battle plan, well, you never know.

A whopping six out of 10 members of the Globe staff who predicted the outcome of the game picked the Patriots to win. By contrast, of the 17 Journal Sentinel reporters and editors who predicted the outcome, only one chose New England. The home state newspapers apparently like their home team's chances, but the Globe guys seem particularly brave or foolish, what with a 14-point spread glaring down the gun barrel at them. In a survey of 35 reporters published in USA Today, six picked the Patriots. Of HBO's "NFL Insiders," Jerry Glanville was the only member to pick the Patriots. Nick Buoniconti, Cris Collinsworth and host Len Dawson all picked the Packers. The Fox Sports guys all seem to be favoring the Packers but have not predicted the winner outright and a score. Saving that for today in the pre-game, we suppose. The ESPN crew seems headed for New England's side. Chris Berman, who is not in attendance, picked the Packers, 27-10. Joe Theismann of ESPN has picked the Patriots. Tom Jackson likely will pick the Patriots. Former Packers receiver Sterling Sharpe could go either way. All of them will announce their choices today during the 90-minute ESPN "NFL Countdown," which starts at 10:30 a.m.

Tim Cowlishaw, Dallas Morning News The last time the Green Bay Packers won the Super Bowl, they didn't receive the Vince Lombardi Trophy. After all, the man was still coaching the team. So Sunday, the Lombardi Trophy actually will be going to the Packers for the first time after the club wins its third Super Bowl. It's as good as guaranteed.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched my tape of SB XXXI last night. Such great memories. Seeing Fritz on the sidelines brings us back. Other names: chumura, leroy butler, gilbert brown, reggie and Brett was looking so young with so much hair. I was glad to have kept that tape after all these years. Looked and sounded as good as the day it first aired.

Some of the commercials back then: Pepsi had the Village People bears, plugging pepsi to the tune of ymca. Nissan had the dive bombing pigeons going after the car, They were plugging The Lost World, Jurassic Park, So fun to see it from so long ago.

Beerleader

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmmm...anyone got this SB XXXI on tape or dvd ? i saw it on tv, but i really would like to have a copy of that game. is there someone who could help me?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts