OLB Possibilities

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of mocks with us taking, at #28, various OLB prospects.

Some of these guys will be long gone by 28 though, so a trade up would be necessary to get some of them.

That being said, here are some quick vids of some of the guys we could be taking in round 1 or 2 to give Matthews some help at OLB.

MELVIN INGRAM, South Carolina (Packers have had success with SC before)
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
He will be long gone by 28.

COURTNEY UPSHAW, Alabama
He will be long gone too.

NICK PERRY, USC
Most say he will be long gone.

WHITNEY MERCILUS, Illinois
I have seen Kiper mock us him.

VINNY CURRY, Marshall

RONNELL LEWIS, Oklahoma
McShay's latest mock has us taking him.

SHEA McCLELLIN, Boise St.
I can see this in round 2. Ted likes Boise State guys.

BRUCE IRVIN, West Virginia
I also really like Bruce.... Bruuuuuuuce. I can see him. Clay's hair, Bruce's dreads.... nice combo.

ANDRE BRANCH, Clemson
He looks good to me too.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2009 & 2010 DRAFTEES:

JERRY HUGHES, TCU
This is Shane Hallam's COMBINE review, and at the 1:05 mark, he talks about how Jerry Hughes should be a 3-4 OLB and he looked fluid.
Again, I have talked with Bob McGinn and Rick Gosselin, who BOTH had sources tell them this was the target for Ted Thompson in that 2010 draft, but because Bulaga unexpectedly fell that far, we had to take him. But the problem now, sucks, is that if the Colts do switch to the 3-4, I think they know this guy is best suited for that. Dammit.

**** BRAD JONES, Colorado *****
To illustrate how highlights in college often don't translate, look at how Brad Jones looked on film from Colorado. I was extatic when we got him in the 7th round and I felt like he and Matthews as rookies in the same class were going to be our Harrison & Woodley.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully either Nick Perry or Whitney Mercilus will be available at #28. The others are 2nd rounders. If a top DB is available at #28 it would probably be worth the pick and getting one of the other OLBs in the 2nd.

Somebody you forgot is Zach Brown OLB North Carolina. His stock has risen a lot and he is now seen as a possible 1st rounder.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully either Nick Perry or Whitney Mercilus will be available at #28. The others are 2nd rounders. If a top DB is available at #28 it would probably be worth the pick and getting one of the other OLBs in the 2nd.

Somebody you forgot is Zach Brown OLB North Carolina. His stock has risen a lot and he is now seen as a possible 1st rounder.
I will be happy no matter who Ted takes in round 1 as long as it is an OLB that he believes is worthy there.
I didn't put Zach Brown in there because he's only 230 pounds, and he never had a sack in his collegiate career until this year when he got 5.
But maybe he's a late bloomer.... maybe he can continue to get bigger.
Just seeing Aaron Maybin bust badly, partly because he was naturally about a 225-230 guy, makes me leary of Zach at this position.
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OLB/Zach-Brown.php

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These mock drafts are not looking good for the Packers. According to McShay, almost all the OLB prospects and Alex Barron will be off the board. Hopefully the combine has other players from other positions rise and bump some of these OLBs down the board.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another name to throw into the mix is Dont'a Hightower. He's the #2 ILB behind Kuechly, and some have the Packers taking him in the 1st round. Although he's primarly an ILB he also has been used at OLB and has pass rushing potential.

Is he worth it if he's there at #28?

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really liking Vinny Curry more & more right now.
6-3 3/8, 265, 2 years of super production. Good character.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2920
Vinny Curry is a well-rounded defensive end/3-4 OLB prospect out of Marshall. This member of the Thundering Herd has shown flashes of first round potential as a three-year starter.
Curry definitely looks the part of an elite, athletic defensive end at 6'4" and 263 pounds. He will have to compete with underclassmen to maintain his early round draft stock, but he's added a great senior year to an already stacked collegiate resume.
He displays a very good array of pass rushing moves. Whether he is ripping offensive tackles to the ground or shoving them back into the quarterback, he does a great job consistently getting after the quarterback (especially if the pocket collapses). Curry will need to improve his technique on running plays that attack his side of the field. He is sometimes too caught up in attacking the quarterback that he'll either take himself out of position or a well-timed double team will severely compromise his gap assignment. (Can say that about everyone, drom DeMarcus Ware to LaMarr Woodley to Von Miller to Cameron Wake)
If he adds some flexibility to his lower half, Curry could end up as a team's leading pass rusher. If he shows explosion during the combine, his stock could be on the rise very quickly.
Strengths: Nice size, with sub 4.8 speed – Sudden pass-rusher, uses a good bull rush, conversion rush, and a decent swim move – Uses his hands very well – Recognizes blocking schemes quickly – Very productive, applies consistent pressure on quarterbacks – Closes quickly when he gets a run at the QB – Good motor, doesn’t quit on plays and pursues well – Adept at getting to the ball (6 FF, 2 blocked kicks so far in 2011) – Plays 4-3 DE, but has the skill-set to transition to a rush OLB – Plus intangibles according to teammates and coaches, current team captain.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HEY GREEN BAY, Bring me to Titletown and I'll be your ALDEN SMITH/JPP

You say AJ Hawk & Erik Walden can't force any turnovers?
I've forced almost 20 fumbles at Marshall.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vinny Curry has definitely made an impression and his stock is on the rise. Right now he's looking like a mid to high 2nd round pick. If the Packers could somehow get a high 2nd round pick (read: Matt Flynn to Miami for their second rounder!), I think my dream draft would be Dont'a Hightower or Mark Barron at #28 and Vinny Curry at #41. Draftek has the Packers taking Curry at #60, but I'm not sure Curry will be on the board that long.

Dont'a Hightower at ILB with Desmond Bishop and Vinny Curry at OLB with Clay Matthews. Ummmm yep.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still hoping that Upshaw could drop to somewhere in the middle of the 1st round and we could trade up for him. Other than that, I'm hoping that either Perry, Mercilus, or Ingram are still on the board for our pick since Upshaw definitely won't be there at 28.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that if there's a player that the Packers evaluate who they really, really want then I hope we can trade up and get him. If they feel that there's enough talented pass rushers out there to wait on it, that might be even better because we also need to acquire a good DB, preferably a corner, since I now have hope that Nick Collins will be back.

There are many names floating around out there that are projected as low first round, high second round picks. Just off the top of my head...Whitney Mercilus, Nick Perry, Fletcher Cox, Janoris Jenkins, Mark Barron, Vinny Curry, Stephon Gilmore, Jared Crick...some will be gone by #28, others could still be on the board at #60.

This defense needs some serious upgrades at several spots and we know what they are: OLB, DE and CB. Let's face it, Woodson is 35 years old and we need to bring in a stud CB to replace him. And Tramon Williams, will he bounce back and play well next year or not?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think Williams will improve with good safety help. He's a bump coverage guy, but not so good with a cushion. Without reliable safety help, we weren't able to do much bump coverage at all after Collins was lost. The way to ensure Williams bounces back is to address the safety position. I think Wood could give us 2 or 3 good years back there at this point. Not sure how much longer he can be an effective CB, although Darrell Green was a solid corner well into his late 30s.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers want the best OLB prospect out there that's probably going to be Courtney Upshaw who will be picked somewhere in the middle of the 1st round. So the Packers will have to trade up to get him.

If the Packers want a premier CB, there might be one available at #28, but for sure the top 2, Morris Claiborne and Dre Kirkpatrick will be gone. After that it gets harder to pick: Alfonso Dennard, Janoris Jenkins, and Stephon Gilmore are all in the mix but who's really better than the other isn't clear.

If we want Kirkpatrick we need to move up to around #10. Claiborne is a top 5 and probably out of reach.

If Woodson gets moved to safety, which isn't a bad idea. We need a CB to replace him. A real good one.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers want the best OLB prospect out there that's probably going to be Courtney Upshaw who will be picked somewhere in the middle of the 1st round. So the Packers will have to trade up to get him.

If the Packers want a premier CB, there might be one available at #28, but for sure the top 2, Morris Claiborne and Dre Kirkpatrick will be gone. After that it gets harder to pick: Alfonso Dennard, Janoris Jenkins, and Stephon Gilmore are all in the mix but who's really better than the other isn't clear.

If we want Kirkpatrick we need to move up to around #10. Claiborne is a top 5 and probably out of reach.

If Woodson gets moved to safety, which isn't a bad idea. We need a CB to replace him. A real good one.
I will take Chase Minnifield anywhere in the 2nd and be happier than getting Claiborne in the top 5.
Minnifield is going to be a long-time NFL stud.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will take Chase Minnifield anywhere in the 2nd and be happier than getting Claiborne in the top 5.
Minnifield is going to be a long-time NFL stud.

Chase Minnifield's draft status is all over the place. Some have him as a top-20 pick and the best zone coverage CB in the draft. Others have him going in the 3rd round. He just had arthscopic surgery, but seems nothing serious...to remove some floating cartilage.

Trading up to get Courtney Upshaw in round 1 and Minnifield taken in round 2 would be an excellent draft for the Packers. Minnifield may not be there at #60.

bubblercheez37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not a Ronnell Lewis fan....I think he underperforms and doesn't have much fire when he plays. thankfully his character issues should deter Thompson from even looking at him.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some people are talking more and more about keeping on eye on this guy, moving up the board:

BSchujasNYG

Giants Fan
Reaction score
Every year I have a couple guys I think are sleepers to be stars, this year it is Vinny Curry and Chandler Jones at DE/OLB. You guys can hit the jackpot with Curry, I think he is gonna be a monster in the NFL. Jones, not so sure how I like him standing up in the Pros.

Melvin Ingram, not sure if he goes top 10 or falls to you guys. It's tricky, the draft board is still settling in.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year I have a couple guys I think are sleepers to be stars, this year it is Vinny Curry and Chandler Jones at DE/OLB. You guys can hit the jackpot with Curry, I think he is gonna be a monster in the NFL. Jones, not so sure how I like him standing up in the Pros.

Melvin Ingram, not sure if he goes top 10 or falls to you guys. It's tricky, the draft board is still settling in.

Curry is no longer a sleeper. He's been noticed and is now projected as going anywhere from late in the 1st round to late in the 2nd round, but by the end of the 2nd round he'll be gone. We'll see how he does in the combines.

I'm not sure he's worth our 1st round pick. I'd prefer to trade up and get Courtney Upshaw (I know, it's a long shot.). If we could get another 2nd rounder, perhaps for a Flynn deal or move up from #60 past #50, Curry could still be there and would make a great pick.

BSchujasNYG

Giants Fan
Reaction score
Curry is no longer a sleeper.
Yeah you have a point there, but he was much more of a sleeper about 2-3 months ago when I was on his bandwagon. Maybe instead of trade up you trade back to get Curry, an additional pick, and have more flexibility to move up from your second round pick if a guy like Dontari Poe, Brandon Thompson, or Jared Crick fall.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there are a number of players still sitting there at #28, TT might trade back. The Packers needs bodies on defense. He might get out of the first round and get an extra 2nd and 3rd.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are anyt of you guys confident that ZOMBO! can develop into an above-average - stud OLB in the NFL?

Members online

Latest posts