Okay TT pull out the Wallet !!!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By John Clayton
ESPN.com
Archive

Editor's note: The teams' cap numbers were as of noon ET on Friday, March 10. However, the numbers continue to change as teams continue to make roster and contract adjustments.

Here are the five potential winners in free agency thanks to the new collective bargaining agreement extension and the extra $7.5 million of cap room:

1. Green Bay Packers
At stake is the recruitment of Brett Favre (to keep him from retiring). The Packers have $35 million of cap room, and that's after re-signing Ahman Green to a one-year contract. However, if Favre retired, his departure would free up another $7.8 million of cap room, but there is probably not enough justification to spend $42.8 million in this market. The Packers are trying to keep defensive end Aaron Kampman from leaving, and they are keeping in touch with defensive tackle Grady Jackson. Throw in defensive end Mario Williams as a potential first-round choice, and suddenly the fortunes of the defensive line look improved. The Packers weren't big players in free agency last year, and in fact they lost a couple of valuable contributors. Now, they're at risk of having too much money to spend, especially if Favre leaves.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this team, if it wants to be competitive this year needs to spend it's money and pick up some players. We hav a lot of cap room right now, but I also think it's important to spend it on players that are good football players but are also players of good character. I'd love to have another linebacker, and defensive back, wide receiver, running back and of course two guards. But if you analyze this team, I believe they will be fortunate to get either Hawk or Williams in the first round and both should make an immediate impact. I do think we can pick pick up some player on both sides of the ball through free agency that will help us. The loss of Longwell was huge I don't know who we will find to replace him.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If possible (and it's only 10am, here in Indy, while I write this...), but, if it's possible... I would go after Hutchinson... Steve, that is :!:

According to the link (here) -- he has yet to sign with anyone....

There's more on Scout.com, but with my login - it's unclear if any of you would see the same hting.....

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is in Queenland now for a visit. Local media claims they will sign him to an offer sheet that will be hard for the Seagulls to match. If we are going after him, now is the time!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
TT did pull out his wallet....

...and a moth flew out of it..!!!

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah im starting to get pretty irritated...i mean I know we're not gonna sign a ton of FA's the first weekend, but i'm not really hearing us in contention for any free agents--aside from Marqand Manuel, which is a done deal, and I heard we're taking a long look at Ryan Pickett who could replace Grady (we still need to bulk up the center of the line)

and, the effort to rebuild the o-line, well...

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
By John Clayton
At stake is the recruitment of Brett Favre (to keep him from retiring). The Packers have $35 million of cap room, However, if Favre retired, his departure would free up another $7.8 million of cap room, but there is probably not enough justification to spend $42.8 million in this market. The Packers are trying to keep defensive end Aaron Kampman from leaving, and they are keeping in touch with defensive tackle Grady Jackson. Throw in defensive end Mario Williams as a potential first-round choice, and suddenly the fortunes of the defensive line look improved. The Packers weren't big players in free agency last year, and in fact they lost a couple of valuable contributors. Now, they're at risk of having too much money to spend, especially if Favre leaves.

Will there be a "gold rush" to Green Bay?

No.

There is a new GM, new coaching staff, new era, new reputation to build.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thompson should be forced to give up some money regardless...a nice fee for being a SPECTATOR as the free agent market slowly starts to dwindle--Will Witherspoon and La'roi Glover join Corey Chavous in STL

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FA is far from over. Glover and Chaveous would of been poor signings in my opinion at this point in there career.

I think Pickett would be a great signing and this saftey Manuel from Seattle is nice as well 2 Days into it and already Packer fans are showing impatience. lol

Look at what we've done this off season thus far.

1. Resigned Ahman Green
2. Resigned Aaron Kampman which was huge
3. Signed Manuel from Seattle (He's young and should be an upgrade over Roman)

If we get a deal done with Pickett tonight I think this weekend would of been sucessful with 2 new players and retaining one of the best players in all of FA in Kampman. A week ago we resigned Green.

Witherspoon is the one guy that bothers me. There's still a market out there. Be Patient GB will get some deals done.

Reaction score
Oh we have no problem being patient, unfortunatly being patient means more FA's signing with other teams. I am starting to get frustrated and annoyed that our biggest signing to date is Marquand Manuel. I mean honestly, I hope TT opens up his wallet soon, because you can't get the best talent at the lowest price! Come on TT, your starting to make 66 look like he was right all along.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Oh we have no problem being patient, unfortunatly being patient means more FA's signing with other teams. I am starting to get frustrated and annoyed that our biggest signing to date is Marquand Manuel. I mean honestly, I hope TT opens up his wallet soon, because you can't get the best talent at the lowest price! Come on TT, your starting to make 66 look like he was right all along.

yeah, patience is good for some things, but for free agency not so much...you see teams who didn't make the playoffs last year, such as St. Louis, Cleveland, Minnesota, Houston really spending, making a push to improve, and you see us, well...not

Kampman was HUGE, don't discount that, but is thompson really that dumb and thinks that injuries are the only reason we sucked last season, no, we need personell, lets go

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

If you consider Glover and Chaveous the best talent then I can understand. At this point in their careers they're nothing special.

James wouldn't make sense. We didn't have a chance at Bentley. I doubt we'd overpay for Hutch like the Vikes are doing. TT could be like Sherman and go out and get Joe Johnson. Oh how bout Terry Glenn for a year. Right now it's way way to early to be complaining about some guys that just don't make sense.

Biggest priorty was fulfilled. Getting Kampman to resigned. It's only been 42 hours since FA started. There's still plenty of guys out there. Pickett came into today and I'm sure we'll get him. That's a good signing. There's still a lot of quality CB's out there as well. Now at this time next week and all we have is Pickett and Manuel then we might want to start a riot outside of TT's office.

Only guy that reallys bums me out is Will Witherspoon

Packers can't sign everyone on one day.

Edit: The FANS need to be patient. There's probably a lot of things we don't know. All we can do right now is sit back and give TT the benefit of the doubt. That's the best we can do RIGHT NOW.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other then Green, where is the help we need on offense?
We have 1 starting wr, we have no starting guards, we have at best a back-up center.

I know we are not going to fill all these spots via Free agency, some of the young guys on the team will step up, but as the hours go by more and more of the top-notch Fa's are being signed.

If I was a 15 yr veteran trying to decide to come back for another go right now my answer would be no way.

We can make the defense better through the draft, there is plenty of talent available, we need immediate help on the offense!!!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
FA is far from over. Glover and Chaveous would of been poor signings in my opinion at this point in there career.

I think Pickett would be a great signing and this saftey Manuel from Seattle is nice as well 2 Days into it and already Packer fans are showing impatience. lol

1. Resigned Ahman Green

If we get a deal done with Pickett tonight I think this weekend would of been sucessful with 2 new players and retaining one of the best players in all of FA in Kampman. A week ago we resigned Green.

There's still a market out there. Be Patient GB will get some deals done.

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

GREAT POST. I agree 100% Everyone here thinks free agency is a 2 day thing and its embarassing to see some of the posts, but they are due their own opinions...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not many people are panicking but it certainly hasn't been worthy of 9 cute little yellow guys jumping up and clapping their hands for Christ's sake.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Not many people are panicking but it certainly hasn't been worthy of 9 cute little yellow guys jumping up and clapping their hands for Christ's sake.

ROTFLMFAO!!!

Oh man... You guys kill me sometimes. :lol:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C Hedley

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
porky88 said:

1. Resigned Ahman Green

GREAT POST. I agree 100% Everyone here thinks free agency is a 2 day thing and its embarassing to see some of the posts, but they are due their own opinions...

I'll drink to that. :beer: :chug:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
route25 said:
tromadz said:
porky88 said:

1. Resigned Ahman Green

I'll drink to that. :beer: :chug:

wahhh wahhh wahhh stop kissing TT's *** wahh wahhh

j/k lol good post!

Members online

Latest posts