Okay, stupid question here but ?

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

If Rodgers does call it a day after signing an extended contract, what will that mean financially to the Packers ? Will we lose out ?
Genuine question as a foreigner ?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers does call it a day after signing an extended contract, what will that mean financially to the Packers ? Will we lose out ?

I don't know exact figures, but he would most likely do the Brees and announce but wouldn't be official till post June 1st for fiscal reasons.... @captainWIMM can help though once he sees this.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers retiring this offseason would result in dead money of $40.3 million counting against the Packers cap. They could either take all of it in 2023 or spread it out over two years by him filing the papers after June 1 ($15.8 million in '23, $24.5 million in '24).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers retiring this offseason would result in dead money of $40.3 million counting against the Packers cap. They could either take all of it in 2023 or spread it out over two years by him filing the papers after June 1 ($15.8 million in '23, $24.5 million in '24).

It could be very interesting strategy for them to take it all and truly be a strip down year...but a move that would save so much in the future. Am I right Capt that a pre-June 1st trade would be the same breakdown cost to us and the split if post June 1st?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Foreigner was a really good 70s and 80s band...and yes, they are English partly. Cuz I'm hot blooded! Still touring so check the dates, and don't forget the doans pills:whistling::sneaky:

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I’m thinking way out the box BUT, what if Rodgers decides I’ll finish 1 more year of my contract, and I’m willing to take a restructuring including a pay cut to sign players we need for my last push for a SB could this happen? Or could he say tough **** I’m keeping my cash and you can have Barry

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m thinking way out the box BUT, what if Rodgers decides I’ll finish 1 more year of my contract, and I’m willing to take a restructuring including a pay cut to sign players we need for my last push for a SB could this happen? Or could he say tough **** I’m keeping my cash and you can have Barry

Guaranteed money is hard to "cut" if I understand it all correctly... @captainWIMM a team and a player couldn't just agree to cut a contract say in half right?

D

Deleted member 6794

Am I right Capt that a pre-June 1st trade would be the same breakdown cost to us and the split if post June 1st?

Actually Rodgers retiring or the Packers trading him will result in the exact same amount of dead money counting against their cap, no matter if deemed a post June 1 transaction or not.

I’m thinking way out the box BUT, what if Rodgers decides I’ll finish 1 more year of my contract, and I’m willing to take a restructuring including a pay cut to sign players we need for my last push for a SB could this happen?

Guaranteed money is hard to "cut" if I understand it all correctly... @captainWIMM a team and a player couldn't just agree to cut a contract say in half right?

Rodgers could definitely agree to reduce the guaranteed money in his contract but I don't see any reason for him to do that. While the league couldn't do anything about it as far as I know the players association would definitely be against such a move.

D

Deleted member 6794

How would the players Association be against it? Would in their eyes set bad precedent

The players association is actually pushing for fully guaranteed contracts. They would definitely be opposed against a superstar forgoing money that was fully guaranteed at the time he signed the deal.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It could be very interesting strategy for them to take it all and truly be a strip down year...but a move that would save so much in the future. Am I right Capt that a pre-June 1st trade would be the same breakdown cost to us and the split if post June 1st?
The Packers were once pushed to trade Favre in August once he changed his mind. Could Rodgers pull a Favre?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slightly different because Rodgers has flat out said he was going to do it before he did?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Favre talked about retirement to play with the media (and gullible fans). When I’d talk to my dad about it he always scoffed and said “they’re going to have to carry that guy off on his shield”. Turned out he was spot on. If my dad knew that everyone in the Packer front office should have too. The last couple years it was almost kind of funny. Some reporter would ask Favre about “next year” and Brett would say something about going home taking some time blah blah blah and there would be headlines “FAVRE PONDERING RETIREMENT”, which is not what he said at all. Rodgers may have better numbers in some categories but as a team leader and football player he can’t hold a candle to Favre LOL. That said, I thought if the Packers were ready to move on from Favre they should not have been afraid to face him. They should have been willing to trade him to the highest bidder instead of taking the cowards way out and trying to ship him somewhere they’d never have to play him again. I think any football player including Rodgers deserves that respect

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Rodgers not already pulling a Favre the last couple years with his waffling about retirement...same thing Favre did towards the end
I wonder if they both are drawing from the playbook of "try to deflect from perennial playoff disappointments in the back half of their careers".

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if they both are drawing from the playbook of "try to deflect from perennial playoff disappointments in the back half of their careers".
I think they're both going thru what every QB or aging NFL player goes thru at the end of every season. It's a struggle to know when your body and mind are going to be able to commit to something you love doing, but not be able to make it through. When is it enough? I think Favre reveled in it a bit more. I think Rodgers gets asked about it more. Anybody in their position that would answer with anything else I'd probably chalk it up to "coach speak" or just fluff for the media. Telling people what they want to hear and not what is truthfully going on in their heads in the offseason. None of their comments should come as a shock at this point.

Members online

Latest posts