OK, I'm done..........

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't make another complaint about the officials the rest of the season. No matter HOW blatant their mistakes may be. I don't care if someone tears off Donald Driver's arm, and beats him with it, and the refs don't throw a flag. I will jump on anyone that even QUESTIONS the refs.
Maybe then i won't be labeled a "complainer".
I will blindly accept them as infalable (sp)
They are gods on the field.
NO more questioning them from me!!!
There.......I'm done now.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't make another complaint about the officials the rest of the season. No matter HOW blatant their mistakes may be. I don't care if someone tears off Donald Driver's arm, and beats him with it, and the refs don't throw a flag. I will jump on anyone that even QUESTIONS the refs.

Cheesy - I have to disagree with you, my friend.

Refs make mistakes, and anyone who thinks they're infallible is an idiot, plain and simple.

No matter what your profession is, no matter how good you are at it, you'll make mistakes. It's part of being human.

We've gotten away with things before. I saw a clip on a huge either kickoff or punt return we had once that we got away with a few games ago. But that strip by Harris should have been a fumble.

They could call me anything they want. The sports analysts on nfl.com agreed with me too, and they're more impartial than I am. So if they agreed with me, that's saying something.

The refs dropped the ball on this one.

OP
OP
C

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know....thats what i was saying all along. But i was getting castrated for it.
So, i figure if i'm gonna get torn apart for questioning them, i might as well go the other way.
There have been MANY ca.........nevermind.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know....thats what i was saying all along. But i was getting castrated for it.
So, i figure if i'm gonna get torn apart for questioning them, i might as well go the other way.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Ah, the life of a football fan! Haha! It's alright, Cheesey, we've all been pretty on edge the last few days. I've gone from one side of the fence to the other and back again. It was one game, and people will forget about it eventually. Every fan of every team will get on the refs case at some point during the season, and there's nothing we can do about it. We can't just let it go, but we can't complain about it. Double-Edged sword syndrome. I think we all just know that we are better than how we played on Thursday, but it's done now. I wouldn't worry about it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Refs make mistakes, and anyone who thinks they're infallible is an idiot, plain and simple.

That's why the NFL needs Robot Officials...

...or full time officials.

Either one.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Do refs make mistakes yes, EVERYONE does..But after reading this on another forum, I see another side to them..

How does one become an NFL official? Jim Howey explains, “The procedure is pretty complicated. To be eligible to apply, you must have 10 years of football officiating experience, including five at major college level. Then you fill out an application form for NFL officials and send it and your officiating schedule to the NFL Officiating Department.

“Next you are observed by NFL scouts, many of whom are in the southeast. Most of the time you don’t even know they are there at your games. A scout will watch you more than once. One scout told me he had seen me work 20 games. If they determine you have the capability to succeed as an NFL official, they talk to the officials supervisor. The next step is to be chosen to officiate in NFL Europe. I did that, officiating in throughout the league - Scotland, Germany, Spain.

“NFL Europe is a training ground, a developmental league for both NFL players and officials. There is an observer of officials at every game. The observers spend a lot of time with you, watching films of the games. This is a learning experience. Not everyone chosen to officiate in NFL Europe makes the NFL.”

From some 200 officials considered annually for positions in the NFL, 12-15 are selected as finalists. Finalists are interviewed by psychologists to determine their level of intelligence and ability to handle stressful situations. They are thoroughly investigated by the NFL’s Security Department. Each is interviewed by a panel from the League officiating department and given a rules examination. Only about six finalists annually are hired as NFL officials.

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Penalties should be allowed to be reviewed under the current challenge limits.

I also never understood why, if you win a challenge, you get one challenge subtracted from a total. Why should a team be "penalized" for the refs changing their minds and overturning an on-field call?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do refs make mistakes yes, EVERYONE does..But after reading this on another forum, I see another side to them..

How does one become an NFL official? Jim Howey explains, “The procedure is pretty complicated. To be eligible to apply, you must have 10 years of football officiating experience, including five at major college level. Then you fill out an application form for NFL officials and send it and your officiating schedule to the NFL Officiating Department.

“Next you are observed by NFL scouts, many of whom are in the southeast. Most of the time you don’t even know they are there at your games. A scout will watch you more than once. One scout told me he had seen me work 20 games. If they determine you have the capability to succeed as an NFL official, they talk to the officials supervisor. The next step is to be chosen to officiate in NFL Europe. I did that, officiating in throughout the league - Scotland, Germany, Spain.

“NFL Europe is a training ground, a developmental league for both NFL players and officials. There is an observer of officials at every game. The observers spend a lot of time with you, watching films of the games. This is a learning experience. Not everyone chosen to officiate in NFL Europe makes the NFL.”

From some 200 officials considered annually for positions in the NFL, 12-15 are selected as finalists. Finalists are interviewed by psychologists to determine their level of intelligence and ability to handle stressful situations. They are thoroughly investigated by the NFL’s Security Department. Each is interviewed by a panel from the League officiating department and given a rules examination. Only about six finalists annually are hired as NFL officials.

My gawd...

Are the applicants THAT bad?

OP
OP
C

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Geez :shock: .......if these are the ones that MADE it, i'd hate to see who they rejected!!!! :lol:
(j/k!)

OP
OP
C

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Ah, the life of a football fan! Haha! It's alright, Cheesey, we've all been pretty on edge the last few days. I've gone from one side of the fence to the other and back again. It was one game, and people will forget about it eventually. Every fan of every team will get on the refs case at some point during the season, and there's nothing we can do about it. We can't just let it go, but we can't complain about it. Double-Edged sword syndrome. I think we all just know that we are better than how we played on Thursday, but it's done now. I wouldn't worry about it.
THANK YOU Nataniel. I think you summed up the way i feel the best. :D

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps there needs to be a system of booth review (I know - other officials) of "game-changing" plays. Who is to be the judge of that? I don't know for sure. But many are obvious such as those long PI calls or the "wasn't a force out" calls. Yes, a 1st down from offsides can be just as damaging so it could be a never-ending impossible list. But I think they could whittle it down to a manageable level.

I think fans would be more accepting of mistakes (they're gonna happen) if it was known that someone off the field seeing what we see was at least having a look - and had the ability to make a correction.

Either way I've never felt one of my teams lost a game due to officials mistakes. Have they made mistakes in my view? Have they cost them points (and potentially the W)? Of course. But if a team is good enough to win the game they should not have to blame a loss on officiating.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Cheesy, dont worry about it. I think that sameway as well. I also agree with the person that said we all make mistakes because lord knows that I have in my life time. We have all been frustrated since our team lost to the Cowboys we try to pin point where the game went wrong. IMO we have to keep in mind again that it takes a team effort to get the game won. There maybe some hard knocks along the way. But hay folks we are still doing great and heading into the playoffs.

I for one love everyones view points on here good or bad, its just only what it is, our viewpoint, so everyone has the right to post what they feel IMO this is what makes this board so cool.

OP
OP
C

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know no one is perfect (I'm a PERFECT example of that!) I just get frustrated when the "best" officials make such a bad call. The PI call didn't bother me that much, it could have gone either way, but that Harris one really got to me.
Oh well....what can you do about it, hey?
I know we won games in past years because of refs missing calls. The main one that comes to mind was several years back, when Don Beebe caught a pass, was touched down, but the refs missed it and he ran about another 45 yards for a TD. So i guess it's just payback time!

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

FINALLY! SHUT UP YOU DANG COMPLAINER! GOSH!! I couldn't be more sick of that Cheesey... okay, not really..

In a moderate defense of the officials, and I KNOW this is a much smaller scale, but when I referee collegiate soccer, even on D1 games (usually 5-8k fans there) you can't please everyone and you won't make every call. You use your experience, training etc and do the best job you can. Even we are assessed after each game and told what the assessor thinks we need to correct, so I can't imagine the follow up these guys experience, it's probably intensive.

One thing I learned from playing, is you can't let the officials take you out of a game. That's a poor excuse for losing or not playing your game. You have to feel out what they are going to allow/call and adjust accordingly. Each official or crew hates different things and is going to nail you for them, figure out what ticks them off and draws the whistle/flag and play your game.

Complaining about it to the official is also about the most pointless thing you can do as a coach/spectator. You want to see the next 2,3,4,10 50/50 calls go against you? Scream at an official for the entire game about what a poor job you think he is doing. :)

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green bay has been on the Official Review on Total Access more than anyone this year. I agree that we have had more bad calls by refs this year than we had the past couple of years. I strongly believe that a penalty should not decide the factor of games and that key plays, even if it is ruled down by contact, dead or forward progress, should be reviewable.

Pass interference calls are to dramatic of a penalty. I think it needs to be looked at. Almost any team in the NFL can pass a long bomb in hopes for a pass interference call. That in my mind is not the way NFL should be.

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fanhood, I believe, is firmly grounded in the "I'm blind and deaf; I wanna be a ref" mentality. If they strip us of that, then what do we have!!!???!? This is our job... our passion... and our right! Who's with me!

*slowly walks away*

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bad calls happen.

A bad call that leads to 5 yards here, 10 yards there. Ok.

But bad calls that result in points, large chunks of yards and non-turnovers(Al's strip)...well that's something else entirely.

The ref's have sucked all year vs. GB, even during wins. Most are well documented in gameday chats and idiotic drunk game diaries.

10-2

Hopefully things even out.

Bring on the Powerhouse Raiders!

OP
OP
C

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

FINALLY! SHUT UP YOU DANG COMPLAINER! GOSH!! I couldn't be more sick of that Cheesey... okay, not really..

In a moderate defense of the officials, and I KNOW this is a much smaller scale, but when I referee collegiate soccer, even on D1 games (usually 5-8k fans there) you can't please everyone and you won't make every call. You use your experience, training etc and do the best job you can. Even we are assessed after each game and told what the assessor thinks we need to correct, so I can't imagine the follow up these guys experience, it's probably intensive.

One thing I learned from playing, is you can't let the officials take you out of a game. That's a poor excuse for losing or not playing your game. You have to feel out what they are going to allow/call and adjust accordingly. Each official or crew hates different things and is going to nail you for them, figure out what ticks them off and draws the whistle/flag and play your game.

Complaining about it to the official is also about the most pointless thing you can do as a coach/spectator. You want to see the next 2,3,4,10 50/50 calls go against you? Scream at an official for the entire game about what a poor job you think he is doing. :)
I was a ref for highschool football a couple times. But there were only TWO of us watching the entire field. In the pros, i expect more then amatuer sports. But i undestand what you mean.........you can't change it......you can only hope to catch them, like they did that NBA ref!!!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Ryan, try this one when you ref: I play a fair amount of basketball. One time I shot the ball and got my arm hit, but the ref didn't call a foul. I whined about the no call. The ref said to me that when I am able to make every shot that I take, he will make every correct call. Good point. I dont complain anymore.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fanhood, I believe, is firmly grounded in the "I'm blind and deaf; I wanna be a ref" mentality. If they strip us of that, then what do we have!!!???!? This is our job... our passion... and our right! Who's with me!

*slowly walks away*

Well it's because of us being fans that there actually is such a thing as the NFL. I say complain all you want, and if you're out of line, another fan will let you know.

LonelyPoet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is interesting.. Well officials made a lot of mistakes on that game but this year they made a lot more in many games. Here one should make sure that they alone won't make decisions. If they have a doubt they should consult the booth review. After all only 16 games are played in a season and every second of every game is valuable. Well we are dealing with a league that let go a spying scandal. If the same was done in any other industry that person will be behind the bars for industrial espionage. That coach is still hanging around. Probably it will take Packers to beat Patriots hehehe my dream

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts