1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Oh the patriots have a weakness

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers Fan Forum' started by lambeaulambo, Oct 21, 2019.

1. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I just noticed who their left tackle is...Marshall (turnstile) Newhouse. Why are teams not loading up left on them and busting Brady's chops?! This LT of theirs is a JOKE!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. XPack

XPack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    They play in a tough division and conference. I feel bad for them. Not.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I know that Newhouse fell out of favor here, but if people think about it honestly, he started out well but then completely failed. Notice that the Patriots have one of 7th round picks from 2011 - Lawrence Guy. We let Guy go almost immediately, he bounced around the league, did well with the Ravens, and eventually got 4yrs-$20M from the Patriots - helping them get to two Super Bowls winning one.

One could say that these guys were decent talent evaluations by Ted Thompson. Maybe it was scheme, team, coaching, player maturity, etc... They obviously have played well beyond their Green Bay years.

• Like Like x 2
  4. FaninColorado

FaninColorado Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    No one knows if the Patriots are good yet... They have literally played no one beyond maybe the Bills.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Decent? I’d say he scored big with both of those picks. In retrospect, Ted should have insisted that McCarthy get rid of some of those defensive coaches. Campen never could get the best out of Newhouse though he certainly did well with many of the other OL draft picks and UDFA’s.

6. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I commented on this a couple of week ago. But you know what? That's shaping up to be one the great defensive backfields of all time. You can go a long way with that.

7. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Would like to see that word used appropriately. Of course they've played others. They've literally played no team other than the Bills with anywhere near a winning record. No need to respond, just have to rant once in a while. :)

As an aside, all one can ask is to beat the opponent. Given the level of competition so far, I'd think that being 7-0 by a combined score of 223-48 is about all one can ask.

8. Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:

Newhouse has been adequate so far with the patriots, perhaps in part due to the fact that Brady gets the ball out of his hands relatively quickly.

The Patriots schedule has not been particularly tough to date, in part because most of the top teams in the league are in the NFC. New England, however, has been winning with relative ease, suggesting they are every bit as good as advertised. Barring a major injury crisis, I expect they'll be playing football in February again this season.

9. gbgary

gbgary Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    experience and coaching only make you better. he's a guy but you don't put a 9 year career together in the nfl being totally terrible. in 78 of his 120 games he's been a starter. he's a millionaire and will probably get a SB ring this year. good for him.

10. rmontro

rmontro Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Might look at their history. They won the Super Bowl last year and appear to have improved.

11. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I literally hate seeing the Patriots win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Poppa San

Poppa San Levelheaded Staff Member Moderator

Packer Fan Since:
    It is. Get with the times. from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/literally
    Who am I to call to task Charles Dickens
    or any of these old dead dudes and dudettes
    I agree with this

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Wow, have to admit ignorance on it being accepted in the 'not true but emphasis' sense. I guess my rant should have been more toward the usage note that followed - "Sense 2 is common and not at all new but has been frequently criticized as an illogical misuse. It is pure hyperbole intended to gain emphasis, but it often appears in contexts where no additional emphasis is necessary." This is going to cause me to look to fill up a significant portion of my time that was previously used to reprimand literally everyone who posts. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. XPack

XPack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    They are good. They may have played bad teams, but they have absolutely dominated them. Shut down Dolphins and Bills and have conceded less than 15 points against every other team.

Like us, their D has been excellent this season. BB is on lookout for a WR and if they land Green or Diggs (or even Brown back), they would be (even more) favourites.

15. rmontro

rmontro Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I'm concerned that we're giving up too many yards.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Dantés

Dantés Gute Loot

Packer Fan Since:
    They have been to 13 of the last 18 AFCC Games and have won 6 of the last 9 Super Bowls. They have played an easy schedule and have dominated it to a degree that is virtually unprecedented.

They are #1 in takeaways and TO Differential, doubling up 2nd place in both instances (18 vs. 9; +14 vs. +7).

When opposing offenses get inside the 30 yard line, they have allowed 5 completions on 19 attempts for 62 yards, 0 touchdowns, 3 interceptions, and they have 3 sacks. Opposing QB rating inside the 30 is 1.1.

They have outscored opponents by 175 points, which is the biggest differential in NFL history besides something called the "Buffalo All-Americans" (from the 1920 season).

I get it. If and when they play better offenses, they probably won't be, statistically, the best defense in NFL history. But how can anyone say that "no one knows if they are good?" That's insane.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. PackAttack12

PackAttack12 R-E-L-A-X

Packer Fan Since:
    This.

18. FaninColorado

FaninColorado Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    The Patriots have done exactly what they should have. Win the games put in front of them. We will definitely see soon if they are the so called next '85 Bears or '00 Ravens like some have said they are.

@Ravens
    @Eagles
    Cowboys
    @Texans
    Chiefs

Those 5 games will provide us at least a barometer of how good they are. You can say my opinion is insane regarding their first 7 games and many people crowning them the best defense ever. But outside of the Bills, who have played just as crappy of a schedule that the Patriots have played, the Patriots have played no one good this year as of yet.

Steelers 2-4
    @Dolphins 0-6
    Jets 1-5
    @Bills 5-1 (@Jets 1-5, @Giants 2-5, Bengals 0-7, Patriots 7-0, @Titans 3-4, Dolphins 0-6 so 13-27 with 7 wins from one team)
    @Redskins 1-6
    Giants 2-5
    @Jets 1-5

12-32 for their opponents so far.

The Patriots have had an amazing run over the past 2 decades... I'm just saying that it is way early to crown them anything comparing them to the '85 Bears or the '00 Ravens or the "Legion of Doom" Seahawks.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  19. Dantés

Dantés Gute Loot

Packer Fan Since:
    No one is saying that they are definitely the '85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens. We all understand that they haven't played good teams. But they are statistically better than those teams right now... which makes it ridiculous to say that we don't know if they're good. They are clearly good.

20. Dantés

Dantés Gute Loot

Packer Fan Since:
    This is doubly true considering that we are talking about a team that has won double digit games every season since 2002. It's not like we should be surprised to find that the New England Patriots are good football team.

21. Pugger

Pugger Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    And the Bills' QB got knocked out of that game. The final score was 16-10. This week they have to play the Ravens and this might be their stiffest test yet.