Oh the patriots have a weakness

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just noticed who their left tackle is...Marshall (turnstile) Newhouse. Why are teams not loading up left on them and busting Brady's chops?! This LT of theirs is a JOKE!!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that Newhouse fell out of favor here, but if people think about it honestly, he started out well but then completely failed. Notice that the Patriots have one of 7th round picks from 2011 - Lawrence Guy. We let Guy go almost immediately, he bounced around the league, did well with the Ravens, and eventually got 4yrs-$20M from the Patriots - helping them get to two Super Bowls winning one.

One could say that these guys were decent talent evaluations by Ted Thompson. Maybe it was scheme, team, coaching, player maturity, etc... They obviously have played well beyond their Green Bay years.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one knows if the Patriots are good yet... They have literally played no one beyond maybe the Bills.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I know that Newhouse fell out of favor here, but if people think about it honestly, he started out well but then completely failed. Notice that the Patriots have one of 7th round picks from 2011 - Lawrence Guy. We let Guy go almost immediately, he bounced around the league, did well with the Ravens, and eventually got 4yrs-$20M from the Patriots - helping them get to two Super Bowls winning one.

One could say that these guys were decent talent evaluations by Ted Thompson. Maybe it was scheme, team, coaching, player maturity, etc... They obviously have played well beyond their Green Bay years.
Decent? I’d say he scored big with both of those picks. In retrospect, Ted should have insisted that McCarthy get rid of some of those defensive coaches. Campen never could get the best out of Newhouse though he certainly did well with many of the other OL draft picks and UDFA’s.

H

HardRightEdge

I just noticed who their left tackle is...Marshall (turnstile) Newhouse. Why are teams not loading up left on them and busting Brady's chops?! This LT of theirs is a JOKE!!
I commented on this a couple of week ago. But you know what? That's shaping up to be one the great defensive backfields of all time. You can go a long way with that.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one knows if the Patriots are good yet... They have literally played no one beyond maybe the Bills.

Would like to see that word used appropriately. Of course they've played others. They've literally played no team other than the Bills with anywhere near a winning record. No need to respond, just have to rant once in a while. :)

As an aside, all one can ask is to beat the opponent. Given the level of competition so far, I'd think that being 7-0 by a combined score of 223-48 is about all one can ask.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Newhouse has been adequate so far with the patriots, perhaps in part due to the fact that Brady gets the ball out of his hands relatively quickly.

The Patriots schedule has not been particularly tough to date, in part because most of the top teams in the league are in the NFC. New England, however, has been winning with relative ease, suggesting they are every bit as good as advertised. Barring a major injury crisis, I expect they'll be playing football in February again this season.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
experience and coaching only make you better. he's a guy but you don't put a 9 year career together in the nfl being totally terrible. in 78 of his 120 games he's been a starter. he's a millionaire and will probably get a SB ring this year. good for him.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would like to see that word used appropriately. Of course they've played others. They've literally played no team other than the Bills with anywhere near a winning record. No need to respond, just have to rant once in a while.
I literally hate seeing the Patriots win.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
They have literally played no one beyond maybe the Bills.

Would like to see that word used appropriately.
It is. Get with the times. from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/literally
: in effect : VIRTUALLY —used in an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement or description that is not literally true or possible "will literally turn the world upside down to combat cruelty or injustice" — Norman Cousins
Who am I to call to task Charles ****ens
"'Lift him out,' said Squeers, after he had literally feasted his eyes, in silence, upon the culprit"
or any of these old dead dudes and dudettes
F. Scott Fitzgerald "He literally glowed"
James Joyce “Lily, the caretaker’s daughter, was literally run off her feet”
W. M. Thackeray “I literally blazed with wit”
Charlotte Brontë “she took me to herself, and proceeded literally to suffocate me with her unrestrained spirits”

I literally hate seeing the Patriots win.
I agree with this

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, have to admit ignorance on it being accepted in the 'not true but emphasis' sense. I guess my rant should have been more toward the usage note that followed - "Sense 2 is common and not at all new but has been frequently criticized as an illogical misuse. It is pure hyperbole intended to gain emphasis, but it often appears in contexts where no additional emphasis is necessary." This is going to cause me to look to fill up a significant portion of my time that was previously used to reprimand literally everyone who posts. :)

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They are good. They may have played bad teams, but they have absolutely dominated them. Shut down Dolphins and Bills and have conceded less than 15 points against every other team.

Like us, their D has been excellent this season. BB is on lookout for a WR and if they land Green or Diggs (or even Brown back), they would be (even more) favourites.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

They have been to 13 of the last 18 AFCC Games and have won 6 of the last 9 Super Bowls. They have played an easy schedule and have dominated it to a degree that is virtually unprecedented.

They are #1 in takeaways and TO Differential, doubling up 2nd place in both instances (18 vs. 9; +14 vs. +7).

When opposing offenses get inside the 30 yard line, they have allowed 5 completions on 19 attempts for 62 yards, 0 touchdowns, 3 interceptions, and they have 3 sacks. Opposing QB rating inside the 30 is 1.1.

They have outscored opponents by 175 points, which is the biggest differential in NFL history besides something called the "Buffalo All-Americans" (from the 1920 season).

I get it. If and when they play better offenses, they probably won't be, statistically, the best defense in NFL history. But how can anyone say that "no one knows if they are good?" That's insane.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
They have been to 13 of the last 18 AFCC Games and have won 6 of the last 9 Super Bowls. They have played an easy schedule and have dominated it to a degree that is virtually unprecedented.

They are #1 in takeaways and TO Differential, doubling up 2nd place in both instances (18 vs. 9; +14 vs. +7).

When opposing offenses get inside the 30 yard line, they have allowed 5 completions on 19 attempts for 62 yards, 0 touchdowns, 3 interceptions, and they have 3 sacks. Opposing QB rating inside the 30 is 1.1.

They have outscored opponents by 175 points, which is the biggest differential in NFL history besides something called the "Buffalo All-Americans" (from the 1920 season).

I get it. If and when they play better offenses, they probably won't be, statistically, the best defense in NFL history. But how can anyone say that "no one knows if they are good?" That's insane.
This.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots have done exactly what they should have. Win the games put in front of them. We will definitely see soon if they are the so called next '85 Bears or '00 Ravens like some have said they are.

@Ravens
@Eagles
Cowboys
@Texans
Chiefs

Those 5 games will provide us at least a barometer of how good they are. You can say my opinion is insane regarding their first 7 games and many people crowning them the best defense ever. But outside of the Bills, who have played just as crappy of a schedule that the Patriots have played, the Patriots have played no one good this year as of yet.

Steelers 2-4
@Dolphins 0-6
Jets 1-5
@Bills 5-1 (@Jets 1-5, @Giants 2-5, Bengals 0-7, Patriots 7-0, @Titans 3-4, Dolphins 0-6 so 13-27 with 7 wins from one team)
@Redskins 1-6
Giants 2-5
@Jets 1-5

12-32 for their opponents so far.

The Patriots have had an amazing run over the past 2 decades... I'm just saying that it is way early to crown them anything comparing them to the '85 Bears or the '00 Ravens or the "Legion of Doom" Seahawks.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Patriots have done exactly what they should have. Win the games put in front of them. We will definitely see soon if they are the so called next '85 Bears or '00 Ravens like some have said they are.

@Ravens
@Eagles
Cowboys
@Texans
Chiefs

Those 5 games will provide us at least a barometer of how good they are. You can say my opinion is insane regarding their first 7 games and many people crowning them the best defense ever. But outside of the Bills, who have played just as crappy of a schedule that the Patriots have played, the Patriots have played no one good this year as of yet.

Steelers 2-4
@Dolphins 0-6
Jets 1-5
@Bills 5-1 (@Jets 1-5, @Giants 2-5, Bengals 0-7, Patriots 7-0, @Titans 3-4, Dolphins 0-6 so 13-27 with 7 wins from one team)
@Redskins 1-6
Giants 2-5
@Jets 1-5

12-32 for their opponents so far.

No one is saying that they are definitely the '85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens. We all understand that they haven't played good teams. But they are statistically better than those teams right now... which makes it ridiculous to say that we don't know if they're good. They are clearly good.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is doubly true considering that we are talking about a team that has won double digit games every season since 2002. It's not like we should be surprised to find that the New England Patriots are good football team.

Members online

Latest posts