Oh my.... Happy and nervous at the same time!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, caught that earlier. Really wish we were flying under the radar...

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Enjoy the ride. Not too often has GB been a unanimous pick to win a SB. Probably have to go back to the Lombardi era. We fail we fail, we win we win. Don't worry about it.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Packers are just the easiest pick for the NFC, you got the Vikings who are standing on an ankle heavily targeted, Saints who maybe the one shot wonders, Falcons who may be knocked down. I hope that teh NFC title game is Packers vs. 49ers so Rodgers can be stoked. I also like how he has the possiblity for MVP.

T

The_Ohioan_Cheesehead

I want Packers vs 49ers for NFC title game in Green Bay. Would bring back Memorys of the 90s. Every year the pack would play the niners in the playoffs.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Packers vs 49ers for NFC title game in Green Bay. Would bring back Memorys of the 90s. Every year the pack would play the niners in the playoffs.

True, but Lambeau probably won't quite be the muddy mess this time as it was in those playoff games, with the new hybrid turf.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that will make or break the Green Pay playoff run. I know we have had some recent success in domes and all, but I think having home field for the entire playoffs is key. Having the 49ers/Saints/Cowboys/Whoever come through Lambeau in January is a big advantage. I'd rather be there than in Texas or the Superdome.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no QB pressure=bad season. Who has replaced Kampman's rush???

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so worried about the rush. If Jones can play like he did toward the end of last season there should be decent pressure on the opposing QB. That and I am sure Capers has some nice tricks up his sleeve to get more pressure as well.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if the Pack picked up a free agent from the roster cuts of other teams or was able to trade for a good OLB. I'm just not freaked out about it though.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks--I hope you're right about the rush outside and inside, otherwise it's going to be a lot of high scoring type games if we can't stop anyone in the 4th quarter.

I've always loved the running game and the defensive ability to stop the run, but the game today is basically passing and stopping the pass--just like the old AFL that we all used to make fun of. And I think the pass rush is by far the most important factor in stopping the passing game. A great pass rush will make average d-backs look pretty darn good.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think as our DLINE continues to gets better and they have looked pretty solid, BJ, Cullen, & Mike Neal appear to have a lot of strength to push around the pocket, could make our average pass rushers look better then they are...as the saying goes, "...it all starts upfront"

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To further my point a bit, Check out Aaron Nagler's article on Cheeseheadtv.com: Capers Is The Key To A Super Bowl Run | Cheesehead TV

If you aren't following these guys and reading them on a regular basis, you definitely should. Nagler spends almost as much time as the players watching game film and picks up on a lot of things your average fan doesn't.

TampaPacMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't understand why many of the so-called experts are picking the Pack to either appear in or win the Super Bowl. I personally believe they're going to have about the same record as last year {11-5}, and probably qualify as a wild card. This isn't the route you want to take to get to the Super Bowl. I've real problems with the defense, I'm very concerned that a rookie is going to be their nickel back for at least the first part of the season. This is a mis- match that will be exploited by the teams that the Packers play at the beginning of the year. I know that the Packers have a very potent offense, but you can't always out score your opponent.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't understand why many of the so-called experts are picking the Pack to either appear in or win the Super Bowl. I personally believe they're going to have about the same record as last year {11-5}, and probably qualify as a wild card. This isn't the route you want to take to get to the Super Bowl. I've real problems with the defense, I'm very concerned that a rookie is going to be their nickel back for at least the first part of the season. This is a mis- match that will be exploited by the teams that the Packers play at the beginning of the year. I know that the Packers have a very potent offense, but you can't always out score your opponent.

Read the article I linked above. It should give you some confidence.

normsizedmidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just guessing here by I think we're going to see a ton of that 2-4-5 with Cullen and Neal as the down guys to make up for the pass rush we lack. I think we also overlook the fact that none of our inside guys can blitz very well. Wish we had a good inside backer that could get through and make it all the way to the QB once in a while. Hell, or two. Run that double barrel blitz on teams.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During the final open practice to the public, reports came in talking about the defense lining up a bit differently, with Matthews and Jones at the ILB position. Not sure what that means for the regular season, but it's certainly a new wrinkle.

normsizedmidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright, stupid question. Then who was on the outside??? I'd like to see that. I want to see that "Caper's genius" I always hear about and having Clay and Brad Jones rush from the inside from something like that would be something I would want to see. To reiterate my point even again though. Neal and Cullen down with our 4 starting LBs on passing downs SHOULD generate a decent pass rush I would believe. I wish we had a LeRoy Butler-type (maybe not quite his level, that's asking alot) pass rushing at the DB position though. Woodson seems decent at it but then you waste him in coverage. The rest of the corners or safeties blitzing have just been blah to me from what I've seen, I could be wrong though. I wonder if Shields could generate anything pass rushing coming from the slot at all???

normsizedmidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't imagine being a QB and seeing Barnett and Chillar on the outside and Clay and Jones on the inside. What the hell do you do there? I am extremely curious to see that. Thanks for the info BTW.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that has been overlooked is the inside pressure. We only had Cullen Jenkins that could rush the passer, and only when he wasn't tired, which was never, because we started the season without Raji, and at the end, we didn't have Pickett, so there wasn't any rotation. Jolly couldn't get to the QB, neither could Pickett, nor Raji, with his bum ankle.

Reports from TC and game analysis shows that Mike Neal already is the #2 best pass rusher on the DL, commanding double and triple teams every stance. With Raji being healhty, and Pickett having slimmed down (though I don't really count him in), we have 3, possibly 4 capable pass rushing DL.

Moreso, in this preseason, only once Capers dialed some intricate schemes. From the 2nd to the 3rd quarter on the Colts game. The results? A sack, a FF, and 2 INTS against one of the game's best QB.

That Cheeseheadtv article is spot on.

I believe we don't have the personel to match teams one-on-one. But we absolutely have the talent to ride on a more-than-competent DC. We can be an intimidating D, if we gameplan correctly.

And moreso, with the O we have, we don't need to be the #1 D. We just can't allow our D to be our demise, like it was against AZ.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that's precisely why I'm just not overly concerned about our secondary. From what I read, the coaching staff took a considerable amount of time this off-season to evaluate what went wrong with those games where we gave up massive amounts of yards through the air. Supposedly they learned quite a bit more on how to best use the personnel we have.

No, Jarret Bush is no Darelle Revis, but neither is anyone the Saints had on their defense last year and they only managed to win the Super Bowl. We don't need to be lights out. We only need to get those one or two stops that ultimately cost us a couple of games, and I think we will.

Going back to that AZ game last year, while emphasis has been on how bad our defense played, lets not forget we turned the ball over a couple times pretty early in that game. Rodgers threw a pick to start the game, and then Driver fumbled, IIRC. Both of those turn overs led to scoring drives by the Cards. I don't want to start the "if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle" game, but I believe we would have won despite our defense had we not turned the ball over.

Anyway, just some food for thought. I'm eagerly anticipating the greatness that will be the 2010 Green Bay Packers season.

Members online

Latest posts