Offseason Moves

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I dont have a crystal ball and I dont pretend to know anything about proffesional FB in the front office but here goes this is what I see happening(or at least what I think should happen)

1. Rossley is done!!!! The offense for once being an exciting ballet has become predictible to the maximum period. I think you will see someone stepping up from the Seahawks or Philly to take the OC job. Also see two or three position coaches going by by. Bevel adn the ST coach.

2. Sherman will retain the HC spot if nothing else to see how he does with a fully operational team.

3. I see TT making those 5 picks into seven or 8 ( I think the Pack will trade either a player or the 3rd or fourth pick for two first round picks and maybe an additional third round)

4. No way the Pack gets reggie Bush (if he comes out of college) unless we keep losing this year and we have the number one pick. (which see above would be traded)

5. Houston will be replacing Carr I would not be surprised to see some kind of trade with Houston GB or GB and the Jets. The Jets need a Qb and will be horse trading to get Lienhart or other and the Texans have a big signing bonus to give to Carr who I think will make a good QB if he can get a line to protect him.

6. I see one or two big time FA coming to GB dont know who yet but I think they will be out there. (I dont see owens in GB either I dont think they will sell thier soul to get to the Suberbowl)

7 Lastly I see Brett staying atleast one more year. This will greatly influence what the Pack does for the Draft in 06 and I think they will ask Brett to make up his mind quicker. (I dont see any indicators that he wont be back but who knows.

Remeber folks this is just my opinion and is in no way based upon my knowledge or lack there of

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Houston gets the #1 pick, I could see them trading to get OL help either through the draft or by trade or a combination. Like you say, Carr needs a line to protect him.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Rossely is gone.....but his good friend Sherman will not have to fire him. I think they will come to an agreement that Rossley should go for health reasons........ HE MAKES PACK66 SICK!

Seriously, Rossley has had some heart concerns the past two seasons so I think he will retire.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i would like to see most of what you think should happen, but not about the draft stuff. i think we do have a shot at #1. for sure not a sure thing but we are one houston win from reggie. assuming they lose out. if it's #1, it's a no brainer in reggie. if it's #2, i would like to trade to the jets or someone. maybe move down to like 4-5 and take lendale white and get an additional pick.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO these are the areas based on the glaring needs to the tweaking.
1) Guard. Geez we need at least ONE that can play. Plus I hear the Pack is high on this Coston kid for next season and they think he will be ready. A good running back is obvious but without the line "what's the point". The defenses game plan will still be same if the line doesn't change no matter who is back there.
WISH LIST GUY: S. Hutchinson-Seattle, all world guard that 'Hawks won't be able to hang on to. That would be sweet. IF Coston could prove to be a player and they bring in a guy like Hutchinson the biggest weakness of the "O" not being able to run the ball would get fixed.
2) LB- And it wouldn't hurt my feelings and actually provides more options that Barnett could play outside if a quality MLB came along. I just don't think they have the quality needed past Barnett.
3) RB- And fortunately there is a lot of options in FA's and the draft. WARNING! Thinking Bush is the answer to the running woes is not the answer for the reasons above.
4) Added depth at CB/DB
5)Defensive End- It's apparent that KGB cannot defend the run and has dropped off on sacks. Another Sherman the GM blunder. Paying this guy that much. He's not BAD but not worth the money he's getting but they need a solid run stopper over there. I.E. see Vikings game. Now that was embarrassing.
The Packers biggest problem begins and ends with their inablity to run the ball and be able to dictate instead of allowing the defenses to simplify their schemes and forcing the Pack to "play around" not being able to run. Does anyone really think Favre would be having a year like this if the defenses had to respect the run? Not I. He would be making them pay for that respect. Bringing in Bates has already proven itself. GET FAVRE AN "O" LINE! Period. END OF STORY. You can analysis this to whatever degree but the Packers have a lot of good stuff going other than that damn line. So FIX IT!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is plenty of tape for TT to watch. Hope he pays particular attention to MS's game decisions, clock management and quarterback coaching.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I agree that Rossely is gone.....but his good friend Sherman will not have to fire him. I think they will come to an agreement that Rossley should go for health reasons........ HE MAKES PACK66 SICK!

Seriously, Rossley has had some heart concerns the past two seasons so I think he will retire.

Well - it is one way to leave without being forced to admit you Marty-balled the career of a 3xMVP... He shoulda never been put in the chair to begin with - it was the buddy-system and nothing more.

Extra Note - I think Brett should say "now" what his intentions are for 2006.

He should not wait for the Season to end - he should have said so, the minute we lost our 8th game.... No sense in dragging it out - get it over with - do it now!

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It all stems from whether Tightwad Ted decides to keep Mike Sherman or not. Oddly enough, if he fires him, he will torch $6 mill in Packers money. If he had spent some of it along the line, the coaching change might not have been necessary?(if it happens).

I DO subscribe to TT's philosophy regarding the draft. There are no sure bets anymore(with the season winding down, go to NFL.com or some draft board and take a look at the players who were drafted last April and who have contributed this year). There's a high risk drafting high and paying large dinero for what a guy did IN COLLEGE. If the Packers can't get either the best running back(Bush) LB, or D-Lineman then trade back for more picks. Leinert is going to be a bust. He's a pure pocket passer who is a hair on the large side. His release is slow(compare it to the Manning Brothers) and you will see why teams should steer clear.
I'm guessing the Packers will get some compensation picks for Wahle, Rivera and Sharper leaving, so it would make some sense to try to stock up again in the 2-5 rounds.
I'm also not convinced the Packers won't look for another wide receiver. Murphy and Walker are unknowns, health-wise and right now, it looks like Murphy might not come back(JS).

One way or another, the Packers MUST keep Jim Bates. What he has done with virtually no talent is amazing. If the Packers offense had played just a little better, this season wouldn't have been a disaster.

There will be changes, but what remains to be seen on the decision regarding Mike Sherman.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will get no comp picks for Wahle and Sharper...they were released by the team. Rivera might bring something in the form of a later round pick....4th or 5th.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
It all stems from whether Tightwad Ted decides to keep Mike Sherman or not. Oddly enough, if he fires him, he will torch $6 mill in Packers money. If he had spent some of it along the line, the coaching change might not have been necessary?(if it happens).

I DO subscribe to TT's philosophy regarding the draft. There are no sure bets anymore(with the season winding down, go to NFL.com or some draft board and take a look at the players who were drafted last April and who have contributed this year). There's a high risk drafting high and paying large dinero for what a guy did IN COLLEGE. If the Packers can't get either the best running back(Bush) LB, or D-Lineman then trade back for more picks. Leinert is going to be a bust. He's a pure pocket passer who is a hair on the large side. His release is slow(compare it to the Manning Brothers) and you will see why teams should steer clear.
I'm guessing the Packers will get some compensation picks for Wahle, Rivera and Sharper leaving, so it would make some sense to try to stock up again in the 2-5 rounds.
I'm also not convinced the Packers won't look for another wide receiver. Murphy and Walker are unknowns, health-wise and right now, it looks like Murphy might not come back(JS).

One way or another, the Packers MUST keep Jim Bates. What he has done with virtually no talent is amazing. If the Packers offense had played just a little better, this season wouldn't have been a disaster.

There will be changes, but what remains to be seen on the decision regarding Mike Sherman.

Interesting conversation about Matt Leinart - I haven't had the chance to watch all that much of him - basically, here in the Midwest we all stopped time to watch USC versus Notre Dame - only to find out that the Refs allowed USC to pull a fast one... but the Fightin' Irish shoulda had that game anyways... they kept lettin' USC back in it.....

But, Leinart - "a pocket passer, with a slow release on the ball" ......Hmm!
Guess I'll have to watch a bit closer.. especially on Jan 4th.

On the other hand - Mike Sherman - really may not be the issue - it depends on the info you have available to you - to make this decision.

A. TT guaranteed Sherman's money - he's got nuthin' to lose
B. Sherman simply will NOT force Rossley to quit.
C. TT "will" do some hagglin' and gain us at least three extra draft picks.
(Remember, I said it here....)
D. No one really knows if Tom Rossley will step down due to health reasons - I think he won't.

So - knowing this is the reality of it all - what happens if you're Ted Thompson?
YOU HAVE TO make sure Jim Bates gets the support he needs - I can only guess, but I'd be a bettin' man with the thought that promises were made last year.. and this year, in the Draft, Bates collects.. and in a big way......

If TT is real smart - and I think he is - then the O-Line will be where at least four Draft picks are headed. Also -in FA, look for more focus on the O-Line.....

I'll ask again - pending Tom Rossley is no longer in Green Bay next year...
Who would be the John Wayne stud - (Duke fightin with Forrest Tucker, for sport) ... type of OC, that Lambeau Field is cravin' for...? Take no prisoners and give no quarter... who would that be?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
IPB, how about Sylvester Croom. He's done a hell of a job at Mississippi State, is familiar with the offense and has coached in GB before.

I'd say it's a start - but how was his performance when he was last on the Tundra?

I don't remember (now) why he left..... I'll have to look.....

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Since SherRossley is signed for 2 more years..(*$#@**!!*)
What will the Pack do if Bates is offered a HC job somewhere...?

(I know Mikey will be pushing to get his "buddy" Bob Slowick back...)

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:

Net I am surprised at you.

1. The money an NFL team spends on the coaching staff has no bearing on what is available to be spent on players.
The cap was a bit over $86 million this year the Packers spent over $84 million. They are about $1.9 million under the cap. None of the money was spent on the coaches.
What really hurt them is the $16 million in wasted cap space. That's 18% of their total salary structure. (by constrast they only wasted $4.8 million last year and I know it's early but they have about $26 million available next season as the cap moves up to somewhere around $90 million.

But they had to purge themselves of the contracts signed by players like Hunt, Johnson, Sharper and of course Clarence Glymph.

per unoffical 2005 packers salary cap page

2. The extra $6 million spent on coaches is not in this year's operating budget but in future ones.

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Extra Note - I think Brett should say "now" what his intentions are for 2006.

He should not wait for the Season to end - he should have said so, the minute we lost our 8th game.... No sense in dragging it out - get it over with - do it now!

I know what your sayin IPB, but Brett's contract is not over, he's not a free-agent, and he's not asking to be traded. Publicly, he really doesn't owe us a statement.(not tryin to be smart-allecky). Now he if were to give his thoughts to management privately and wish it not to be printed,(so he could change his mind), it is his due right. Yes, we as fans would like to know where we are heading and wish that the organization knew so they could plan accordingly, but Mr. Farve has the right to do what any other NFL player under contract for a few more years has. We are not owed a statement. He has never set up a press conference & publicly issues a statement as to his future no more than any other player has to. It's always been the press and the media that asked him otherwise. I do believe he will not leave the Pack high and dry and will let his intentions be known at the appropriate time to allow them to adjust.Some might argue this is the time to look at Rogers, but maybe Bretts real intentions RIGHT NOW are to play a couple more years, and he does not have to get up on a soap box and declare it.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Croom the right choice for MSU

Updated: Dec. 2, 2003

By Ivan Maisel
ESPN.com

Forty years ago, the Mississippi State basketball team snuck out of Starkville in order to violate state law and compete against a team with ***** players in the NCAA Tournament.

Today, Green Bay Packers running backs coach Sylvester Croom, 49, an African-American, will be introduced as head football coach at that same Mississippi State. SEC commissioner Mike Slive released a statement Tuesday congratulating the university for hiring Croom.

Only at the end did Slive mention "the fact that Coach Croom becomes the first minority football coach in the SEC makes this an historic day for the Southeastern Conference."

In social parlance, Slive said the appropriate thing.

Croom is a coach first and a minority second.

In journalistic parlance, Slive buried the lead. When a state university in Mississippi hires a black football coach, that is News. You can argue about the pace of progress, which has been as slow as a Mississippi Delta drawl. But an inch here and an inch there, and after 40 years, you've come a long way.

====================================

This Sports Beat Writer "could" have left that last paragraph completely off this article.... That's exactly what is wrong with the Media today -- they 'think' they're in charge..... WHEN THEY ARE NOT!

Sylvester Croom did an amazing job as the running backs coach in 2003.
That ended up being Sherman's best year with the Packers... due in large part to some great assistant coaching, ........like Sylvester Croom.

(My memory is coming back....)

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Cheese...(?) --- You also have a point... but you'd think that Brett would already be making comments about strategies for 2006.... like quite a few other players around the League who have no intention of walking away.... For the Packerfans, Brett could at least speak up a little in this regard... It'd be nice if he'd burn the Press on it, when he does.....

Members online

Latest posts