Official week 3 pregame thread: Tampa and Tom terrific

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense better be all it thinks it is, because where we currently are offensively, I think we'll have a hard time scoring more than 10 points. Evans is suspended and still don't know if Godwin or Jones will play.

Reaction score
Defense better be all it thinks it is, because where we currently are offensively, I think we'll have a hard time scoring more than 10 points. Evans is suspended and still don't know if Godwin or Jones will play.
Oh I think that’s a bit far fetched. I know there’s cause for a lack of confidence and I can relate to that part. However, do you really feel like we can’t score more than 10??
I think we are fully capable of putting up 20+ if we tick upwards each week. That’s against any team.
I am leaning optimist though.

I think people underestimate the combo of MLF-#12. We’re just getting started my friend.

Reaction score
I’ll just say that we are Tampa’s biggest threat thus far.
We are not at full strength also, but if Tampa is thinking we’re going to lay down they are going to be dismayed.

I have us as a 3.5 point underdog

Tampa 24 GB 21

Last edited:

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They'll need to give Yosh some help against Shaq Barrett. Tampa has an experienced secondary so I think Rodgers will have difficulty getting the ball downfield. It will be critical to get the run game going to open up play action. That's no small task trying to run against Vita Vea and those two ILB's.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I think that’s a bit far fetched. I know there’s cause for a lack of confidence and I can relate to that part. However, do you really feel like we can’t score more than 10??
I think we are fully capable of putting up 20+ if we tick upwards each week. That’s against any team.
I am leaning optimist though.

I think people underestimate the combo of MLF-#12. We’re just getting started my friend.
That's the thing Old School. We're just getting started on offense. A lot to work on and a lot to improve. Going up against an excellent defense which through two games has scored as many touchdowns as it's allowed. Can we surprise them? Sure. Do I hope we do? Of course. Has things stand now though heading into this matchup, our offense should struggle badly.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that worries me, along with most of you I’m sure, is defending the run. Last night we gave up 180 yards on the ground. Fournette is gonna be looking for a big game on the ground. Hoping Barry gets these guys whipped into shape and focuses on getting hats to the ball carrier. Stack the box too much though and Brady could work on our secondary. Right now, I feel more confident in the secondary than the front 7.

Reaction score
That's the thing Old School. We're just getting started on offense. A lot to work on and a lot to improve. Going up against an excellent defense which through two games has scored as many touchdowns as it's allowed. Can we surprise them? Sure. Do I hope we do? Of course. Has things stand now though heading into this matchup, our offense should struggle badly.
I don’t think the O will struggle that bad. I’m not saying we will put up 30+, but Tampa isn’t exactly on Offensive fire with 19,20 (39) points respectively. That about as pedestrian as our 7, 27 (34) points

This should be a good Defensive game. Mike Evans being suspended really nearly evened the odds. I think Tampa has a slight home field advantage, but it’s a trivial number.

Tampa 21 Packers 17
Or
Packers 24 Tampa 23
Something like that.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that worries me, along with most of you I’m sure, is defending the run. Last night we gave up 180 yards on the ground. Fournette is gonna be looking for a big game on the ground. Hoping Barry gets these guys whipped into shape and focuses on getting hats to the ball carrier. Stack the box too much though and Brady could work on our secondary. Right now, I feel more confident in the secondary than the front 7.

The secondary is the strength of this defense.

I would imagine by November, GB's defensive backfield will be truly formidable.

The front 7 must maintain discipline with their gaps and lanes.

Fournette will get fed, and Brady will look to capitalize on any mistake made by anyone not focused on their assignment.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's definitely possible the Packers will end up scoring 20 points but it's going to be difficult as the Bucs defense has been pretty awesome the first two weeks allowing a total of only 13 points.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their Defense is legit. From the little i've seen them play this year, they look to be about the best they've been in recent years and they've been really good. Yards are going to be tough, but we have to play the long game. big plays will come, later. It's going to be about 1st downs and field position for a lot of this game.

Defensively I think we can play the run pretty well, we just didn't at times. I think when they set out and say they aren't going to allow it, they'll do a very good job at it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just want to point out that though this is an important game because it is same conference and, well, a game. I would definitely like to win it and will be bummed if we lose. But it is not our super bowl or some kind of Brady/Rodgers thing. That is the media. It is another important game on our schedule.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm most concerned with the strength of the Tampa front seven on defense. LaFleur needs to find a way to mitigate that strength of Tampa. I don't like our chances ever playing in Florida in September. We're definitely underdogs in this one imo.

Reaction score
It's definitely possible the Packers will end up scoring 20 points but it's going to be difficult as the Bucs defense has been pretty awesome the first two weeks allowing a total of only 13 points.
That’s True, their D may be better than their Offense this season.
But on the flip side? who have they played? We know week 1 is a fluke many times and week 2 they played The Saints led by a mistake prone QB and missing their RB1. You really should hold that team to 10 or less imo.

We are going to need to get in a groove, but I think staying with our Ground game will produce 120-140 yards and 1-2 TD all by itself. I think holding #12 to zero points passing is near impossible. Not saying it can’t happen but I wouldn’t wager on that

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Doubs and Watson we may be able to keep them honest and a little less tight because we have deep threats. Assuming we can protect. We'll see more blitzes.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Doubs and Watson we may be able to keep them honest and a little less tight because we have deep threats. Assuming we can protect. We'll see more blitzes.
it's going to be tough sledding this week. #1, we haven't been able to protect. So everyone is going to be playing up close and flying downhill, just like they've done before and just like the 9er's did to beat us in the playoffs. Our oline isn't great and we can't protect well. They're not that worried about getting beat deep because they know we won't have time to let any of that develop. and #2 nobody has proven themselves a deep threat yet.

That can change, but until one does and we can protect they're keeping everyone up close and flying up on those short routes and runs.
We have to be able to sustain an offense with them doing that and hit make them stop. It's worked for them 2 games in a row and has worked for other teams that have the DL and speed at linebacker to do it. Tampa fits both bills.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
it's going to be tough sledding this week. #1, we haven't been able to protect. So everyone is going to be playing up close and flying downhill, just like they've done before and just like the 9er's did to beat us in the playoffs. Our oline isn't great and we can't protect well. They're not that worried about getting beat deep because they know we won't have time to let any of that develop. and #2 nobody has proven themselves a deep threat yet.
Totally agree that it is going to be tough sledding. Watching them beat the Saints showed how much they got after the QB and how opportunistic that defense it. I was very impressed with them and am nervous that Rodgers will be running for his life. Side note, Walkins had a 55 yard gainer against the Bears. I think he is a proven deep threat. You're right though, Rodgers will need the time to find him.
That can change, but until one does and we can protect they're keeping everyone up close and flying up on those short routes and runs.
We have to be able to sustain an offense with them doing that and hit make them stop. It's worked for them 2 games in a row and has worked for other teams that have the DL and speed at linebacker to do it. Tampa fits both bills.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They'll need to give Yosh some help against Shaq Barrett. Tampa has an experienced secondary so I think Rodgers will have difficulty getting the ball downfield. It will be critical to get the run game going to open up play action. That's no small task trying to run against Vita Vea and those two ILB's.
They need to keep running the ball and make it work. I kept thinking during the Bear game. Use the run to set up the pass. This will be a difficult challenge.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think the O will struggle that bad. I’m not saying we will put up 30+, but Tampa isn’t exactly on Offensive fire with 19,20 (39) points respectively. That about as pedestrian as our 7, 27 (34) points

This should be a good Defensive game. Mike Evans being suspended really nearly evened the odds. I think Tampa has a slight home field advantage, but it’s a trivial number.

Tampa 21 Packers 17
Or
Packers 24 Tampa 23
Something like that.
Ok

Latest posts