Official Training Camp Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

sounds like we got quite a couple guys banged up or out of shape.

better now than later though. :)

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Training Camp Reports

sounds like we got quite a couple guys banged up or out of shape.

better now than later though. :)

except if you break your ankle
TE Tory Humphrey has a broken ankle. No timetable has been set for a possible return.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SUNDAY EVENING SESSION

Favre to miss three practices

After watching Brett Favre struggle to a four-interception performance in tonight's practice, coach Mike McCarthy said he could tell Favre had a lot on his mind. "It clearly wasn't his best practice," McCarthy said of Favre, who is expected to fly to Mississippi on Monday after the death of his wife's stepfather. He is scheduled to return Wednesday, meaning he'll miss three practices. "It's got to be on his heart," McCarthy said. "Family first, and that's where his focus is."

Elsewhere tonight ...

-- In addition to Brett Favre's four interceptions during team drills, Aaron Rodgers threw a pair of picks during 7-on-7. Jarrett Bush got one on a high throw over Calvin Russell, and a few plays later, Will Blackmon ripped the ball from Greg Jennings' hands on a sideline route.

-- Dropping 'em like they're hot: Carlton Brewster (twice), Shaun Bodiford, Brandon Jackson (twice) and Noah Herron.

-- Favre also fumbled on an apparent pass fake during the next-to-last team period.

-- CB Patrick Dendy continued to take all reps as the nickelback with the first unit.

-- P David Lonie's injured left ankle was heavily taped. It's unclear if and when he'll take some camp kicks off Jon Ryan.

-- CB Charles Woodson spoke with McCarthy at length after practice about "a personal thing," according to McCarthy. "I think he'll be fine," McCarthy said.

-- Mostly meaningless passing stats (7-on-7 in parentheses): Favre 20-for-31, 4 INTs (9-for-11); Rodgers 13-for-24, 2 INTs (3-for-10, 2 INTs); Ingle Martin 5-for-10.

Franks works with starters

Tight end Bubba Franks opened each team period with the starting offense tonight -- a new twist in the veteran's battle for position on the depth chart. Franks, who has spent most of the offseason behind Donald Lee, was the lone tight end in a three-wide look on the first team play of practice with the No. 1 offense. When the unit took the field for the second team period, he was the lone tight end in a two-back set. He also joined Lee in several double-tight sets on the first plays of other periods. The Packers finished practice with only three tight ends after Zac Alcorn dropped out, apparently because of cramps. Tory Humphrey, who broke his ankle Saturday, likely is out for the season.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hodge day to day with knee injury

Linebacker Abdul Hodge is day to day because of a recurring knee injury and likely will be limited to one practice a day when he returns, coach Mike McCarthy said after tonight's practice. Trainers iced Hodge's problematic knee during practice Saturday, and the second-year pro from Iowa couldn't finish today's morning session. He watched tonight's practice in shorts on the sideline.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rookie receiver catching on

During back-to-back drills -- the first a team drill and the second a blitz drill -- rookie receiver James Jones caught four passes, including beating nickelback Patrick Dendy on a deep in-route.
Jackson takes lumps

For the second day in a row, halfback Brandon Jackson got steamrolled during a team blitz drill. On Saturday, A.J. Hawk ran over Jackson on one play. On Sunday night, middle linebacker Nick Barnett did the same.
Harrell beats rookie guard in one-on-one drills

Rookie first-round draft pick Justin Harrell finally won a rep during one-on-one pass-rushing drills. On consecutive snaps, Harrell guard Pat Murray, an undrafted rookie who has not had a lot of success on that drill.
Rayner holds kicking edge

Notes from practice:
-- Dave Rayner held the upper hand over rookie Mason Crosby in a kicking drill. Rayner booted 6 of 6 field goals while Crosby made 5 of 6. Ruvell Martin was the holder for all of Rayner's kicks, while Jon Ryan held for Crosby. Rayner's successful kicks came from 25, 25, 30, 33, 38 and 43 yards. Crosby made good on kicks from 25 and 25 before missing wide right from 30 yards. He then booted three successful kicks from 33, 38 and 43, although the last one was kicked above the right upright and was barely good.
-- Will Blackmon made a spectacular interception of an Aaron Rodgers pass when he stole the ball out of receiver Greg Jennnigs' hands. It was the second interception of the night for Rodgers, who was also picked off by cornerback Jarrett Bush.
Malone picks Favre twice ... Malone?

Veteran quarterback Brett Favre and rookie free agent cornerback Antonio Malone have very little in common. But the two had a lot in common on three on consecutive plays druing a team drill. On the first play, Malone intercepted a Favre pass intended for Robert Ferguson. On the next play, Favre beat Malone on a deep pass to James Jones. But Malone won the rubber match on the next play by intercepting a badly underthrown Favre pass. Final score, Malone 2, Favre 1.

-- Cornerback Charles Woodson made a nice diving interception of a Brett Favre pass intended for Greg Jennings. Favre was working out of the shotgun formation and was under heavy blitz pressure.
-- First-round draft pick Justin Harrell moved up to the second-team defense. Harrell played on the No. 3 unit on Saturday.
-- Tight end Bubba Franks lined up with the No. 1 offense during team drills. Franks had been working behind Donald Lee in prior practices.
-- During a punt-return drill, receiving kicks were:Woodson, Will Blackmon, James Jones, Jennings and Shaun Bodiford.
Role reversal

In one of the more unique drills in training camp thus far, a Packers lineman was given the ball, and two smaller players -- usually wide receivers and/or running backs -- converged to strip the ball away. Presumably, if an opposing lineman ever gets his paws on a ball in a game situation, the Packers will be prepared to force a turnover

7 players not in pads

Seven players were dressed in shorts and weren't taking part in the full-pads workout. They included Johnny Jolly, Ryan Pickett, Juwan Simpson, David Lonie, Abdul Hodge, Donald Driver and Vernand Morency.
All but Hodge had missed prior training camp practices.
Favre takes part in evening practice

Brett Favre stepped on to Clarke Hinkle Field at 6:27 p.m., flanked by Vernand Morency on his left and Donald Driver on his right, to take part in this evening's training camp practice.
Favre missed this morning's practice due to the death of his wife's stepfather, Rocky Byrd. Favre is expected to travel to Mississippi for the funeral and will miss an unspecified number of practices later this week.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

Good news im happy woodson is practising ... he should be more ready then ever ;)

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

Most importantly out of packer training camp: Where are the updated pictures of MM's daughter?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Most importantly out of packer training camp: Where are the updated pictures of MM's daughter?

The man brings up a good point.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EARLY TC IMPRESSSIONS

http://www.packerupdate.com/packer_update/2007/07/camp-report-ver.html

[align=center]CAMP REPORT: EARLY IMPRESSIONS[/align]

...-“Ryan Powdrell is an imposing physical specimen who seems to move pretty well. Size-wise, he really stands out from the rest of the fullbacks. Whether he's able to overcome his lack of experience on offense remains to be seen.”

-“Not surprisingly, the tight end position looks like a real weakness. The only player I liked during the offseason was Tory Humphrey, and he’s already out with a serious injury.”

-“I don’t know who’s going to stretch the field on offense. The first six wide receivers on the depth chart are all possession guys. David Clowney is the only blazer among the top eight, but he’s a one-trick pony as of now. Unless he gets off the line cleanly, he won’t get open.”

-“Tony Palmer is one strong SOB. I’m not sure if he moves well enough to play in this scheme, but I like the way he can push people around. None of the other guards seem to get much movement in their straight-ahead blocks.”

-“Dave Rayner and Mason Crosby both look like NFL kickers. Mason still has to prove that he can produce under fire, but does he have a powerful leg. If the competition is close, I’d be a little surprised if he isn’t the kicker against Philly on opening day.”

-“Daniel Muir is facing very long odds, but he continues to look like a pretty decent prospect. If he continues to improve and the coaches decide to keep nine defensive lineman, I could see him sticking around as the No. 5 end/tackle.”

-“[Linebacker] Abdul Hodge could be in trouble. He seems to be laboring on his surgically-repaired knee. And the fact that he’s already icing between practices isn’t be a good sign. I could see him spending the year on IR."

-“Hodge's injury has given extra snaps to Desmond Bishop, and the rookie has looked pretty good so far. He's a bit limited athletically, but he might be one of those guys who just finds a way to get the job done on Sundays.”

-“Underrated Patrick Dendy is still the third-best corner on the roster. He may lack the size and physical skills of Will Blackmon, Frank Walker and Jarrett Bush, but as of right now, he simply plays the position better.”

-“The only player that really excites me as a returner is Blackmon. His explosiveness reminds me of [ex-Packer] Allen Rossum, but he needs to show enough at corner to justify being part of the 45-man active roster on game day.”

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

Well if the start of camp is anything telling, I think the RB is even a bigger question mark than a week ago. Sounds like good competition in the secondary and that maybe the offseason success that GM and coaching staff have been banging the drum about... might be a bit of hype.

Good to hear Rodgers got off to a good start, sorry to hear about more loss in the Favre family. Mo is starting where he let off a year ago... fragile. Jackson struggling in blitz pickup... no way from a kid that has only started a handful of games in college.

Good news on Jones so far and where is any mention of Clowney in any news. Is that good or bad.

On Harrell... I hope this kid isn't as fragile as his track record states...

Overall sounds like a normal start... just concerns.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

is his daughter really that hot... ive never seen her... someone hook me up with some pics

Pack93z

Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

A different set of note, didn't paste the entire column just parts of it; apparently the author needs more traffic on the site and usually their info is pretty good... more notes at link on Hodge, Deep threat, kickers and return game.

http://pu2006.typepad.com/

-“Ryan Powdrell is an imposing physical specimen who seems to move pretty well. Size-wise, he really stands out from the rest of the fullbacks. Whether he's able to overcome his lack of experience on offense remains to be seen.”

-“Not surprisingly, the tight end position looks like a real weakness. The only player I liked during the offseason was Tory Humphrey, and he’s already out with a serious injury.

And what update is any good without a Dendy reference for Trom :)

-“Underrated Patrick Dendy is the third-best cornerback on the roster. He may lack the size and physical skills of Will Blackmon, Frank Walker and Jarrett Bush, but as of right now, he simply plays the position better.”

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

Brandon Jackson seems like kind of a soft spoken, calm guy. I wonder if Barnett and Hawk were told to beat him up a bit to get a fire going in him. That or it's just a case of "Welcome to the pros, rook."

Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

About B-Jack in pass protection:

He was asked to play as a FB in parts of camp thus far, and when B-Jack was run over by Hawk, it was while playing FB. (B-Jack confirms this in his audio interview from Friday night on Packers.com)

I think he'll be all right.

I'm also a bit surprised that McCarthy doesn't have Harrell on one-a-days practice. I'd have thought they'd go a bit slow with him due to his lack of practice, so to avoid any possible cramps that may come up.

It seems like McCarthy has a really fast tempo to practices, which I think is good. Hopefully it gets the players into quicker football shape.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

Bjack got ran over by Hawk and blew up by Barnett.... not good... he needs to work on that, Barnett isn't a power player so it is concerning that he blew Bjack up.

It has been stated a couple of times, I think Green and Hendo will be missed most in pass protection and blitz pick-up. This is where lack of experience will bite us.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

it really doesnt matter whether hes blocking at FB or HB in pass protection.

Not a good sign, and with the o-line not being a top 10 o-line(yet!), we need other people to chip in...and if he cant....ugh

Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

I think Jackson was just overwhelmed, what with the speed of practice and then making a slight adjustment to the FB position which is new to him.

But yeah, it is a cause for concern, you can't just dust it off. Hopefully it was more of the circumstances than anything. B-Jack has got some good strength to him, so here's hoping!

Reaction score

From Packersnews.com:

Crosby, Rayner about even on kickoffs

Rookie kicker Mason Crosby showed off his big leg this afternoon with a booming kickoff that went 78 yards, or 8 yards deep into the end zone.

On four kickoffs, Crosby averaged 71.5 yards. Incumbent kicker Dave Rayner wasn't far behind, averaging 70 yards on four kicks.

In order, Crosby's kickoffs went 69, 78, 69 and 70 yards. His hang time ranged from 4.06 seconds to 4.31 seconds.

Rayner's kickoffs, in order, went 67. 70, 74 and 69 yards. His hang time ranged from 4.22 seconds to 4.31 seconds.

Other notes:

- Today's training camp practice began at 2 p.m. under sunny skies. The official temperature was 89 degrees just before 2 p.m., according to the National Weather Service in Ashwaubenon.

- Quarterback Brett Favre is the only player not in attendance..

- Dressed in shorts and not taking part in full activities: guard Allen Barbre, running back Vernand Morency, wide receiver Donald Driver and defensive tackles Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly.

- Back in uniform after sitting out Sunday are linebackers Abdul Hodge and Juwan Simpson.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MONDAY 2 PM SESSION & PICS

Wrapping up Day 3

First off, we'll go with a wrestling-style wrap-up of today's 1-on-1 passing drills (offensive player in ALL CAPS) ... (Note: Some defenders were bailed out by bad throws, but for the sake of brevity, we'll still give them the nod.)

Al Harris def. ROBERT FERGUSON
Charles Woodson def. GREG JENNINGS*
JAMES JONES def. Patrick Dendy
RUVELL MARTIN def. Frank Walker*
Will Blackmon def. SHAUN BODIFORD
Charlie Peprah def. CARLYLE HOLIDAY
Nick Collins def. CALVIN RUSSELL
Jarrett Bush def. DAVID CLOWNEY
FERGUSON def. Dendy
CARLTON BREWSTER def. Tramon Williams
Atari Bigby def. JAMES JONES
Woodson def. JENNINGS
BODIFORD def. Marviel Underwood*
MARTIN def. Marquand Manuel*
RUSSELL def. Aaron Rouse
Tyrone Culver def. HOLIDAY
*major decision

Elsewhere ...

-- Ferguson was at least partly to blame for Aaron Rodgers' interception in the blitz period because of a sloppy route. Later, though, Ferguson had a nifty, leaping grab over Will Blackmon in the end zone that curiously drew congratulations from defenders on the sideline.

-- TE Bubba Franks also had a fine touchdown grab in the final goal-line period.

-- And today's passing stats (7-on-7 in parentheses): Rodgers 20-for-34, INT (10-for-13); Ingle Martin 12-for-16, INT (5-for-8, INT); Paul Thompson 1-for-4 (1-for-3); Brandon Jackson 0-for-1, INT.

Morency to miss 2 weeks with sore knee

Running back Vernand Morency's knee injury is more serious than initially believed, and he likely will miss two weeks of practice, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said today. Morency hasn't practiced since Saturday. McCarthy declined to discuss specifics of the injury, which was described Sunday by General Manager Ted Thompson as a contusion. The Packers' first preseason game is 12 days away, so Morency likely will miss that game.

Other injury updates:

-- Rookie guard Allen Barbre sat out today's practice with a hamstring injury and defensive tackle Daniel Muir left with a recurring ankle injury.

-- McCarthy said he hopes defensive tackles Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly, both of whom failed conditioning tests on Friday, will practice Tuesday.

-- Wide receiver Donald Driver, who has a shoulder injury, also could practice in the next day or two, McCarthy said.

Linebacker A.J. Hawk was impressive in a red-zone blitz drill this afternoon. On third-and-goal from the 5, quarterback Aaron Rodgers tried to hit tight end Donald Lee on a quick slant, but Hawk perfectly read the play, stepped back and knocked down the pass, almost coming up with an interception. On third-and-goal from the 4, wide receiver James Jones caught a slant, but Hawk stopped him cold in his tracks and would have prevented a touchdown had they been doing full-tackling drills.

-- Wide receiver Carlton Brewster caught a fade pass over cornerback Patrick Dendy on third-and-goal from the 8. The TD pass came from quarterback Ingle Martin.

-- Fullback Corey White burst through the middle on first-and-goal from the 10 to score an easy TD. Rookie first-round draft pick Justin Harrell and Corey Williams were lined up as the defensive tackles on the play.

-- Cornerback Charles Woodson made a nice diving interception of a Rodgers pass in a red zone drill. Rodgers was rolling right and his pass was intented for wide receiver Robert Ferguson.

-- In a one-on-one receiver-vs.-defensive back drill, Ruvell Martin caught two long passes that would have gone for TDs. He beat cornerback Frank Walker, then safety Marquand Manuel. In the same drill, Jones ran a crisp route, came back for the ball and made a tough catch in tight coverage.

Crosby, Rayner about even on kickoffs

Rookie kicker Mason Crosby showed off his big leg this afternoon with a booming kickoff that went 78 yards, or 8 yards deep into the end zone. On four kickoffs, Crosby averaged 71.5 yards. Incumbent kicker Dave Rayner wasn't far behind, averaging 70 yards on four kicks. In order, Crosby's kickoffs went 69, 78, 69 and 70 yards. His hang time ranged from 4.06 seconds to 4.31 seconds. Rayner's kickoffs, in order, went 67. 70, 74 and 69 yards. His hang time ranged from 4.22 seconds to 4.31 seconds.
Hodge, Simpson practice; temperature nears 90

Today's training camp practice began at 2 p.m. under sunny skies. The official temperature was 89 degrees just before 2 p.m., according to the National Weather Service in Ashwaubenon. Quarterback Brett Favre is the only player not in attendance.. Dressed in shorts and not taking part in full activities: guard Allen Barbre, running back Vernand Morency, wide receiver Donald Driver and defensive tackles Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly. Back in uniform after sitting out Sunday are linebackers Abdul Hodge and Juwan Simpson.

MONDAY PICS

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbc...RTRAIN&ArtNo=707300807&Ref=PH&Params=Itemnr=1

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

all about da packers said:
I think Jackson was just overwhelmed, what with the speed of practice and then making a slight adjustment to the FB position which is new to him.

But yeah, it is a cause for concern, you can't just dust it off. Hopefully it was more of the circumstances than anything. B-Jack has got some good strength to him, so here's hoping!

I am thinking the same thing. It's going to take some time.

But, once Jackson tears off a few "breakaways" he'll gain more confidence.

Looking forward to seeing Jackson run wild...

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

Jackson is also going to spend a lot more time going out for passes than pass blocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts