OFFICIAL THREAD We need a running back now !!!!!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, he's not automatically on the roster. All this means is he can now begin practicing with the team, and can practice with the team for the next three weeks without costing us a roster spot. After that the team has three weeks to activate him or put him on IR. So basically we have another 6 weeks worth of roster exemption before we're forced to activate him or put him on IR. That's also true for Al Harris and Atari Bigby.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard that he looks the most game ready. I was just trying to point out the rules to people who might not know.

Hopefully Harris will be back this weekend and his return will provide the whole team with a much needed spark. We *NEED* this win.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you believe we rank 16th in the league?

Reading some of these post you would think we are 32nd

I looked at that and was thinking the same thing. We just need to run it more. Kuhn seems to drag the pile for a few extra yards and is hard to bring down. Not saying he is the answer and will break one for 80 yards but he does a decent job and you very seldom see him trying to stop and juke.......thus getting caught in the backfield which usually ends up being a loss of yards.

OP
OP
dogpackerz

dogpackerz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
watching Marshawn Lynch today justified why i cannot stand TT !!!!!!
this RB is good. 24 carries around 88 yds and he had 5 carries called back due to penalty, those carries he had 42yds with a TD.....

NOT BAD FOR A 4th and 6th rounder

OP
OP
dogpackerz

dogpackerz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its very obvious we don not have a RB.....
The only reason why our running game isnt at the bottom of the NFL is due to Aaron Rodgers.
He checks out of 3-5 pass plays a game, when he notices the LB's are playing the pass.
We will have 2 delayed draws that eat up 25-30yds and Kuhn will carry the other team for 20yds.

My question 2 everyone:
When was the last time our running game was this terrible for this many weeks in a row?

I'm not being negative
Watching BJackson run is painfull. he is not a starting quality RB.. (he's a 3rd down back and thats it !)

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I'm gonna shut up in terms of RB right now. I have my beliefs, and I won't say them in lieu of this win tonight, but I'm just not gonna say anything. :happy0005:

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jesus Christ, you guys will find anything to ***** about. Jackson ran quite well tonight for the 13 carries he got, again averaging 4.5 yards per carry. He found some great holes and did what we needed him to do. It's only a matter of time before he breaks off a few big ones.

FWIW, Peterson ran the ball 28 friggin times tonight. If Jackson maintained his 4.5 YPC average and got the same number of carries as Peterson, he runs for 126 yards. Not sure what more you want from him, but I'm beginning to think some of you will criticize him regardless of how good he does simply because he's not someone else.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am locking this...

Jackson is not the issue....Look uo his yards per carry compared to the league he is in top ten..

Trouble is we dont run enough

Besides, we are not going to get a stud rb anymore, even Ahman Green would not do anything, he didnt last year

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
lets see how this thread looked in light of the SB win

Who still thinks the team was right for not trading

Who still thinks the team was wrong not trading

I opened this again cuz it is interesting to see how views change and its slow time

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won in the end with an average running game. Honestly our RB don't need exceptional skill like Adrian Peterson so long as we have a tough OL in front. James Starks is a perfect player in our scheme. Tough running and always going forward. I'm fine with 4 yard carries all day and occasional burst of 10-15 yarder. Our main attack is in the passing game anyway. Would it be nice if we had our own version of Adrian Peterson? Of course. But having so many skilled positions, remember a salary cap will be implemented so how long can we keep the entire team together? I'd rather have a Starks for a decade than Adrian Peterson for couple seasons then he wants big contracts forcing us to relinquish signing other important players on defense who might not get all the attention yet are essential to have on a championship team.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking forward, let's hope Ryan Grant can get back to the form he had before he was injured. I read somewhere that he has lost a lot of weight rehabbing. We'll see.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think its a fair question to ask now, do we need a rb? If Mark Ingram falls to us, do we consider taking him? I wouldnt have a problem with it if TT has him as the highest player on his board.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think its a fair question to ask now, do we need a rb? If Mark Ingram falls to us, do we consider taking him? I wouldnt have a problem with it if TT has him as the highest player on his board.
Yes.

We don't need a RB at all. But we definitely could use an ELITE RB, like Peterson, Johnson, or, in this case, IMHO Ingram, the next Emmitt Smith.

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Espn.com' spower rankings show that having an elite rb does not tranlsate into a victory. You have to go all the way to number 8 (Ray Race) to find an rb who own a playoff game.

The problem with running a lot, even if you are running it effectively, is that it is not in the hands of the guy who can really put up points, the quarterback. Now before people jump on here and see people say "ZOMG YOU SAID WE NO NEED TO RUN THE BALL RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE". I never said you dno't need to run the ball, I said you don't really want it to be your mian offensive weapon.

AP's worst statistical year and was also when they won the most and did the best. Why? Because they could throw. So they didn't need to run it as often. We need to run the exact amount of time per game it takes to keep the defense honest. Anything more and we are hurting ourselves by not giving the ball to our qb.

Mike Mccarthy even said somewhere "Balance is not the amount of times you run the ball, it is the amount of times they (the defense) is playing you 50/50."

The most important stat to our running game is not ypc or whatever, it's attempts. As long as we run it a few times to keep the defenses honest. That's all we need from our running game and I think we have that so I'm fine with the rbs we have.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO the most important attributes to win a title in today's NFL are to be able to excel at passing the ball and to excel at defending the pass. The Packers are set up to do exactly that. In order to excel at passing the ball, among other things, IMO you need either an OL filled with pro bowl quality pass blockers or the threat of a running game. IMO that's even more important than attempts - the Packers only ran the ball 11 times in winning the Super Bowl but Starks provided a legitimate running threat.

After Grant got hurt and before Starks was ready I think the Packers were hurt somewhat by the lack of that threat. It was my impression that Grant was disrespected by some Packers fans in previous seasons but he was just what the doctor ordered IMO. He had (and I hope still has) the breakaway speed that provided that necessary threat. And Starks may not be as fast but I love the way he "falls forward" and he obviously provides that threat as well. Now if he can get better at picking up the blitz…

I'm an old timer and loved the dominance Lombardi's teams showed in the running game. On their way to the line of scrimmage they could tell the defense which way the sweep was going and the defense still would have trouble stopping it. But my favorite Lombardi Packer was Nitschke - I loved how he beat the crap out of opponents, so I really appreciate old time, snot-knocking, hit 'em 'til they bleed football. But NFL football has changed since those days and the importance of the running game has been replaced by the importance of the passing game, on both sides of the ball.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
From the Uecker seats, this is what I remember:
The problem we had in the first half of 2010 was the backs, when they broke through, would get caught from behind. No big play capability. Jackson also followed his blockers into the pile with no cutting shown. In the second half ot he season, the coach and play-calling was the issue. 1st three playoff games seemed to have the right mix and capability. Then in the SB, McCarthy again abondoned the run even though it looked like Starks could have had a decent night.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Once again I was looking at the title, scratching my head, saying, but we just won a Superbowl.

Then I saw the date it was started.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
A rookie who hasn't played a game of football in a year and a half, at that. And we expect him to not only get used to our offense but help us to a super bowl in, what, 8 games? We need someone now, NOT LJ though.

LOL!!!

I love these type of posts

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the best I've felt about our RB's in several years. I probably haven't felt this confident
since Ahman Green's best years. I'm a little worried about our short yardage situation without
Quinn Johnson, but I think our OL will play better this year than last and with Grant and Starks
plus J. Finley back we should be okay.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
This is the best I've felt about our RB's in several years. I probably haven't felt this confident
since Ahman Green's best years. I'm a little worried about our short yardage situation without
Quinn Johnson, but I think our OL will play better this year than last and with Grant and Starks
plus J. Finley back we should be okay.

Kuhn will be fine for short yardage situations. He's like a cement truck in high gear.

Members online

Latest posts