OFFICIAL THREAD We need a running back now !!!!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree we need to run the ball ALOT more, but I think someone needs to design some running plays that could be effective. We're not going to gain any yards running into the back of the offensive line. They need to create alleys for the RB to get through, otherwise the best we can hope for is a yard or two on every carry...kinda like we're doing now.

NFL Stats: by Team Category

As a team we are 7th in average per carry at 4.6 , is that running a yard at a time?

But 25th in attempts

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points on the defense. I do like Zombo a lot and I think he could be a very good player for us. I'm probably just expecting too much too soon out of those guys. They were more of a project than Matthews was and it's going to take longer for them to turn it on, so those were points well made. But if an elite pass rushing prospect falls into our laps, I wouldn't say no. ;)

Major mistake today not helping Bulaga with Wake, imo. You've got a young rookie, you want to keep his confidence high, but he keeps getting beat. Over and over. Gotta start chipping Wake or putting Crabtree over there to double him.

Wake's pretty damn good. And Bulaga's in just his 2nd game at that position. I'm not all that concerned about him yet. I'm more concerned with McCarthy being too stubborn or stupid to give Bulaga some help when he so clearly needed it.

Agreed all the way around. If we had some beast of a pass rusher fall to us, I would absolutely love him. Matthews is an anomaly IMO. There aren't many players in the league like him, and we're fortunate to have him.

I also agree on Bulaga. They have him playing a position he never played in college on his own. Frankly, he needs to go back to the left side and focus protecting Rodgers' blind side. He did excellent over there, lets keep him there and keep Lang on the right side. I can't fault Bulaga too much for the reasons you mentioned. 2nd game as a starter, obviously a rookie who is playing out of position. Some of those sacks are on Rodgers.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said before, I don't think it's about yardage, but about the threat of a running game, and being able to punch it in in the RZ.

We're not doing both right now, so the Running game is struggling.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Like I said before, I don't think it's about yardage, but about the threat of a running game, and being able to punch it in in the RZ.

We're not doing both right now, so the Running game is struggling.

Not struggling, rather not STAYING with the run..

Recall the skin game?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

Recall the skin game?

I still want to know why the hell they stopped that! Hint, when something is starting to work, go with it and STAY with it! That I can see being blamed on coaching as it involves play calling and not an act of God such as injuries.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Recall the skin game?
I didn't watch the fins game, I'm talking exactly from the Redskins game.

Yeah, it was a dumb decision from MM, because the running game WAS working, as in yards.

HOWEVER, what I'm talking about is, even when we ran, they didn't give a ****. That's why it worked, because they were fully committed to the pass from the get go. That's why PAs didn't work.

We SHOULD'VE burned them for not respecting it, but we didn't.

And if Grant was active, no way they would've fully committed to the pass.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Marion Barber would be great if all we needed to get a first down was a yard.

I loved him a few years ago when he was good. Now I'm not so sure.

And I doubt Jerry would give him up cheaply.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only the price, but if we get somebody to replace the injured player(s) ((( :( )))), what is going to happen once that injured players is healthy and returns to the active roster. What do we do with the new guy, re-trade him? #2, backup? At some point these guys are gonna be coming back, we don't need an overstuffed roster. Idk, mayhaps I got a little happy with the Irish Cream in my coffee and I'm over thinking, just trying to project here and thanking God I'm not TT right now.

Topper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We must get a running back to take some of the pressure off of Arod and give the defense some rest. And i don't want to hear well MM won't use him anyway, BS if we have DWill he would use him and be effective! I normally don't bash TT, because most of the time, I like his steadfast personality, not bending to the pressure of the outside, but stupidity I will get ticked off at. The number one priority is RB right now and that opens up everything else, it especially helps with these ridiculous hits ARod is taking. If TT doesn't take the risk now - consider this season over.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
id settle for a decent O-line!

^^^This.

Though after looking on film, Rodgers himself was responsible for 3 of the 5 sacks he took. One in particular had Kuhn wide open right over the middle, but he held the ball too long. Easily could have been avoided and went for a first down.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ya rodgers is a smart qb, but last game i saw him make some really dumb decisions. He definitely holds the ball too long sometimes trying to get too much done. I wonder how you fix that with a QB to make quicker decisions.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We only got an hour left.. and there isnt even any mumblings of any trade... Looks like we're gunna put all our eggs in Starks basket... Damn.

Majik

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you know, the running back isn't the only problem

True, but it is the biggest problem. When the opponents play the pass every down, there's an 80% chance they are right. And when they are wrong, either Brandon Jackson or John Kuhn are running the ball. With the same O-line, Grant was pretty successful. Being able to run will also keep our defense off the field instead of being on it for 45 minutes per game.

bubbahotep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hope they brought in some people to workout. I know Julius Jones and Willie Parker aren't the answer we are looking for, but they are out there, and they are cheap.

OP
OP
dogpackerz

dogpackerz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching James Starks highlights on Youtube....

I havent said this since we traded for Ahman Green..

This kid can RUN !
It doesnt mean he is lock 2 be a Pro-bowl RB.
But as long as he can STAY HEALTHY - I THINK HE MIGHT BE IT....
THIS KID REMINDS ME OF GREEN.

i think we need to throw him out there this week and every week after.

its very important for this team to establish a running game ASAP:viksux::viksux:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He isnt off pup list

people need to realize what we have now is going to be it...So accept it..

Members online

Latest posts