OFFICIAL THREAD We need a running back now !!!!!

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I don't thin that we need lynch, or Johnson, or some big flashy name.

But why couldnt we get woodhead, or snelling, or ryan torrain, just some GUY, SOMEBODY ANYBODY, someone with something too prove. Not someone who has already proved he doesn't have it..

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a pretty interesting thought as to why Ted might not have wanted to pull the trigger on Lunch:

“Lynch is obviously a talented back and would be an upgrade of talent at that position. That said, he has never worked within Mike McCarthy's offense or with these players. It would take four to six games of 20 or more touches per game for him to feel comfortable with this offensive line. My belief is that Thompson and McCarthy feel they don't have the time to bring him along like that with the opponents on the schedule and the potential of the Bears or Vikings reaching 6 or 7 wins by then. Combine that with the return of Ryan Grant at the beginning of the next season and Thompson's belief that he can probably find somebody in the draft next year with that pick, the trade didn't make much sense to them....

...Steve Vanden Heuvel, Aurora, IL

Honestly, that makes total sense. Lynch isn't familiar with our system or our O-Line, and the risk of him not being productive for us this season is just too high.

Moss to Vikes, Lynch to Seattle and what some Packers fans think - JSOnline

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But why couldnt we get woodhead, or snelling, or ryan torrain, just some GUY, SOMEBODY ANYBODY, someone with something too prove. Not someone who has already proved he doesn't have it..

It sounds like you want the Packers to make a move for the sake of making a move, regardless of whether the player will fit our system or not.

There's no guarantee a player will just be able to jump right in, especially if they aren't familiar with OUR system. It could take several games before the player is up to speed, and that's just time we don't have.

Burk1994

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to have DeAngelo Williams, it would be a long term investment. Next year we would have Grant and Williams, which would expand boths career time by having them split the load for one another. I dont think we can offer Hawk or Brad Jones because Nick Barnett could be IR, but James Jones, TJ Lang and a 3rd would probably do it. Im crossing my fingers but I am not getting my hopes to high

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

so Nance is not the guy you want?

you are aware he is on the team just needs to get up to speed on the plays?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like you want the Packers to make a move for the sake of making a move, regardless of whether the player will fit our system or not.

There's no guarantee a player will just be able to jump right in, especially if they aren't familiar with OUR system. It could take several games before the player is up to speed, and that's just time we don't have.

I think most packer fans just want TT to make any move. Its the opposite of Redskins fans.

OneHotelFoxtrot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Deangelo Williams, living in Carolina I've seen alot of this guy, he can be great given the opportunity.

BMatt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want DeAngelo Williams too.. but im not willing to give up James Jones, AJ Hawk, and a pick. That's a little steep for my liking.

2 players who log alot of minutes for us, plus a pick? Eeek

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I want DeAngelo Williams too.. but im not willing to give up James Jones, AJ Hawk, and a pick. That's a little steep for my liking.

2 players who log alot of minutes for us, plus a pick? Eeek

Right now the Packers can't afford to give up any linebackers. Barnett is out for the season. As I've said before, I don't see Thompson making any moves for a player with a name. I think he's banking on Nance providing Jahvid Best type work. (I can't say I agree with him, but my opinion is that he is thinking this way.)

Stevelknievel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darren Sproles

Anyone consider this guy? He's basically a bench-warmer for the Chargers. And a kickoff/punt returner. Fast. Good hands.

Still got $5.5 mill left on his one-year contract, tendered player, would cost the Pack a first-and-third rounder.

Worth it?

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
would solve RB and return issues immediately.

i still like deangelo better if we're breaking the bank

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
LOL Ted give up a 1st and a 3rd?

come on now :)

I think you understand Ted's philosophy. It is similar to the same way the Patriots work. In the other thread, the one on Moss, I posted an article that points out in the next draft the Patriots have a bunch of top three round draft picks. That trade of Moss for a third is typical of the Patriots. They deal and stack up higher round draft picks, then build their team from there. Once in a while they'll pick up a free agent like Moss or Fred Taylor. In our case we picked up C. Woodson. There are some very striking similarities in the basic modus operandi.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you understand Ted's philosophy. It is similar to the same way the Patriots work. In the other thread, the one on Moss, I posted an article that points out in the next draft the Patriots have a bunch of top three round draft picks. That trade of Moss for a third is typical of the Patriots. They deal and stack up higher round draft picks, then build their team from there. Once in a while they'll pick up a free agent like Moss or Fred Taylor. In our case we picked up C. Woodson. There are some very striking similarities in the basic modus operandi.

Yup this I know...

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's not a bad way to do it, it's worked for them in the past. They had a freakin machine up there. It's got to be hard to make these decisions and know that you are gonna **** somebody off no matter what you do. I feel bad for Ted in that respect, it can't be an easy job to do. He's got to do what's best for the team, not only in the present moment but its future as well. Things don't always work out the way you envision them, so they come for you with pitch forks and torches. But when they do work out, they will sing your praises to the football Gods. I think deep down I understand what he is doing and why. That's why I have a funny feeling there will be no new RB. Thinking long term, I don't think he's gonna want to give up more than I think he thinks acquiring the is worth. These are just my thoughts here, obviously I'm not in T.T.s head so I'll never know. I think I'll have some more coffee, consult my muse or that psychic I've been meaning to get a hold of and think more on this.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And the Patriots have been one of the post dominant franchises of the past decade... I have a weird feeling that we all may look back at this in 2 years and go, wow, I'm glad TT handled that the way he did. Looking back now at the Moss thing and the T. Gonzo thing we're all glad he did things the way he did, but at the time screamed "WTF are you doing?!?!, GAAHHHH!!!"

I didn't hear the interview with Woodson, but if he was questioning TT for the way he handled his business, then he should keep his mouth shut. I love C. Wood, as a player... But he's paid to play, Thompson is paid to handle the business end... They both need to know their roles.

Bring on Nance and Starks!!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
And the Patriots have been one of the post dominant franchises of the past decade... I have a weird feeling that we all may look back at this in 2 years and go, wow, I'm glad TT handled that the way he did. Looking back now at the Moss thing and the T. Gonzo thing we're all glad he did things the way he did, but at the time screamed "WTF are you doing?!?!, GAAHHHH!!!"

I didn't hear the interview with Woodson, but if he was questioning TT for the way he handled his business, then he should keep his mouth shut. I love C. Wood, as a player... But he's paid to play, Thompson is paid to handle the business end... They both need to know their roles.

Bring on Nance and Starks!!

I wouldn't worry about what Woodson said. Reports sometimes get skewed to drum up paper selling drama. Woodson and others on the team have basically been saying; "sure anytime you have a chance to get another quality player, you'd like to have them. Who wouldn't? But we can win with what we have." It's almost like they all put their heads together and decided on what party line they should say.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Darren Sproles wouldn't solve the running back issues. If San Diego thought he could be a feature back they wouldn't have traded up to get Ryan Mathews.

That said, I'd love to have Sproles. That quick-as-hell playmaker is one of the more glaring things that we don't have, imo.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I don't know if anybody listened to Jim Rome yesterday, but they had Charles Woodson on. Very candid interview. When asked if it would be nice to make a move like the Vikings did he said something along the lines of "I know the politically correct answer is win with the guys you have, but yes it would be nice to make a move along the lines of what Minnesota did".

That's not an exact quote, just an approximation to give you an idea of what he said. I'll see if I can find the exact quote.

Members online

Latest posts