Official Tampa thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
The defensive line and ILBs have been mostly responsible for the Packers atrocious run defense before the bye week. Since moving Matthews inside the Packers have allowed only 94 rushing yards per game.
I'm just curious why there is talk about putting him back outside. I think until they can improve matters inside, he should stay right where he is.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm just curious why there is talk about putting him back outside. I think until they can improve matters inside, he should stay right where he is.

While Matthews is an upgrade over the other ILBs on the Packers roster he isn´t a great inside linebacker by any means. Thompson should address the position early in the draft and Clay should be moved back outside.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
While Matthews is an upgrade over the other ILBs on the Packers roster he isn´t a great inside linebacker by any means. Thompson should address the position early in the draft and Clay should be moved back outside.

The draft is a LONG way off. It's all damage control until the ILB is addressed. A patchwork quilt.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Is there talk about moving Clay back outside permanently before next season? I expect them to continue using him as they have - switching him around depending upon which defense they're in, down and distance, and match-ups. If Brad Jones can keep playing as he did at Buffalo, I'd like to see him take all of Hawk's snaps. Next season is a different story and ILB has to be a top priority.

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there talk about moving Clay back outside permanently before next season? I expect them to continue using him as they have - switching him around depending upon which defense they're in, down and distance, and match-ups. If Brad Jones can keep playing as he did at Buffalo, I'd like to see him take all of Hawk's snaps. Next season is a different story and ILB has to be a top priority.
Agreed! But, calling for Brad Jones to play like he did in Buffalo is a bit of stretch considering what we have seen over the last few years. I hope for it too but I'm sure not banking on it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Agreed! But, calling for Brad Jones to play like he did in Buffalo is a bit of stretch considering what we have seen over the last few years. I hope for it too but I'm sure not banking on it.
I'm not banking on it either but Hawk's play continues to deteriorate. This is from McGinn's write-up of the Bills game:
A.J. Hawk (32) played another game in the 3-4 only and offered no bulk or strike against the Bills' guard-to-guard run game. On third and 2, Hawk had a clean shot but Boobie Dixon just kept on going through his minimal impact.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-bills-b99409497z1-286051011.html

They don't want to put Clay inside all the time so someone else has to lineup inside next to Barrington on occasion. If the options are Jones or Hawk, I prefer Jones even noting his inconsistency. Some players at the end of their careers gradually lose their effectiveness, some ‘fall off a cliff’. Hawk seems to be the latter even though he’s just 30 years old. He’s got a lot of miles on him but still it’s surprising how far he’s fallen physically. As I’ve posted before it’s not Hawk’s “fault” where he was drafted and I’ve never questioned his dedication – it’s no accident he knows the D so well. But he’s a liability at this point.

Another option at ILB - an unconventional one - is Richardson. I know he’s a safety and not an ILB but the way he hits I think limited snaps inside would make sense. I have a lot more confidence in his tackling than Hawk's. And he’d certainly be able to cover better than any ILB on the roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers injury report:
Out: Davon House
Questionable: Bryan Bulaga
Probably: T.J. Lang, Eddie Lacy, Clay Matthews, Mike Neal, Nick Perry, Josh Sitton

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers injury report:
Out: Davon House
Questionable: Bryan Bulaga
Probably: T.J. Lang, Eddie Lacy, Clay Matthews, Mike Neal, Nick Perry, Josh Sitton

Hopefully Bulaga can play on Sunday. Anyone notice commentator last week kept on calling him Buluga (like the whale).

Perry has been struggling with injuries on and off all season (again).

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that losing Cullen Jenkins after winning the Super Bowl hurt but Thompson was right about not handing out a five-year, $25 million to him as he only had another good season after 2010. Mike Daniels has been really good over the last two seasons.

While I would love to get Leonard Williams in next year´s draft he will be long gone at the time the Packers pick.

Oh I know, and that's the way this team has always operated and should. But I was just saying, that type of player that Jenkins was is what this team's been missing, I mean, Neal has been fairly decent when he's healthy, but he's not nearly as deadly as Jenkins was in his latter days here, or Reggie White in the 90s. I don't think we'll get Leonard Williams himself, but if there was another DT of his same caliber, I'd swoop him up immediately.

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh I know, and that's the way this team has always operated and should. But I was just saying, that type of player that Jenkins was is what this team's been missing, I mean, Neal has been fairly decent when he's healthy, but he's not nearly as deadly as Jenkins was in his latter days here, or Reggie White in the 90s. I don't think we'll get Leonard Williams himself, but if there was another DT of his same caliber, I'd swoop him up immediately.

Jenkins was a great pass rusher for the last three seasons in Green Bay (not close to Reggie though). IMO Mike Daniels is a more complete player though.

H

HardRightEdge

Hopefully Bulaga can play on Sunday. Anyone notice commentator last week kept on calling him Buluga (like the whale).
Or was it "Beluga", like the caviar, a delicacy compared to what we're likely to get from Tretter. Whether the question with Tretter is inexperience or talent is moot; we're not likely to find out this year. Bulaga's absence this week can likely be compensated for. If the concussion symptoms linger into week 17, that could be a real problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it's hard to argue that our D is in the 2010 category. Remember, we had Cullen Jenkins that year who was our key force up front. Sure Clay Matthews has always kind of taken the spotlight from the media and announcers, but having Jenkins up front there is what really allowed him to turn loose, and we've really not had a DT with that kind of pass rush ability since. I think that's the one area where TT needs to bring in the Cavalry in the next draft, is go after a pass-rushing DT, like a Leonard Williams type.

While it sounds good, trading away an entire draft or the next 3-4 years of 1st round picks to move into the top 5 to draft Williams is a terrible idea.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anyone remember when Favre had to quiet the go pack go chant in Tampa?

D

Deleted member 6794

While it sounds good, trading away an entire draft or the next 3-4 years of 1st round picks to move into the top 5 to draft Williams is a terrible idea.

Nobody suggested to do anything like that.

D

Deleted member 6794

He said go after a top 5 player in the draft, what do you think he was suggesting?

I like when you speak on behalf of other posters on here

He never suggested to go after Williams but a similar type of player. Maybe you should have read the entire conversation before speaking on behalf of another poster on your own.

Here's what he posted later in the thread:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He never suggested to go after Williams but a similar type of player. Maybe you should have read the entire conversation before speaking on behalf of another poster on your own.

If Williams will go super high in the draft, so will similar players.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Why? If this guy is the next JJ Watt, Mario Williams, or Donkykong sue it'd be worth it. To refresh your memory banks the past 4 packer 1st rounders were a washout in Sherrod (injury alibi), solid starters Jones and Perry, and a potential hit in HaHa. That's one hit maybe in 4 years. Before that was Raji, CM3, Bulaga,Harrell and traded away. Again one hit in 4 years with a washout and two solid starters. We can find solid starters or better in rounds 2-4 almost any year.

H

HardRightEdge

NFL GM's use some variation on the value chart developed by Mike McCoy in Dallas in the 90's. It's one of those things like the passer rating formula...nobody knows exactly why it works, but there's a broad consensus that it does.

While each team has some variation of their own, the charts you'll run across are remarkably similar. While the charts function as rules of thumb or a baseline for considering a trade, and while some conjectures must be made about where the trading partner will finish the following year if future picks are involved, if one is to spit ball a trade the charts are the best basis for doing so.

Here's a typical chart:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

Assuming the Packers sit in the 30 spot this year and next, as an example, then a trade up for the #5 pick in 2014 (1700 points) would cost something on the order of the two first rounders, a second rounder and a third rounder (1648 points). An entire draft from the 30 spot would be 1124 points.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? If this guy is the next JJ Watt, Mario Williams, or Donkykong sue it'd be worth it. To refresh your memory banks the past 4 packer 1st rounders were a washout in Sherrod (injury alibi), solid starters Jones and Perry, and a potential hit in HaHa. That's one hit maybe in 4 years. Before that was Raji, CM3, Bulaga,Harrell and traded away. Again one hit in 4 years with a washout and two solid starters. We can find solid starters or better in rounds 2-4 almost any year.

There's a better chance of him being a bust than the next Watt. Should not trade away tons to get him.

For all we know also, we could pick a stud with the picks we already have. What if the ones we trade away end up the next the Clay or Lacy?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wasn't speaking on his behalf, I was addressing him before you decided to respond for him.

He wants a player similar to someone I have seen predicted to go 1st overall. If he wants to clarify that I would take it to mean more coming from ... You know... The guy who I quoted

You must be really bored tonight

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL GM's use some variation on the value chart developed by Mike McCoy in Dallas in the 90's. It's one of those things like the passer rating formula...nobody knows exactly why it works, but there's a broad consensus that it does.

While each team has some variation of their own, the charts you'll run across are remarkably similar. While the charts function as rules of thumb or a baseline for considering a trade, and while some conjectures must be made about where the trading partner will finish the following year if future picks are involved, if one is to spit ball a trade the charts are the best basis for doing so.

Here's a typical chart:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

Assuming the Packers sit in the 30 spot this year and next, as an example, then a trade up for the #5 pick in 2014 (1700 points) would cost something on the order of the two first rounders, a second rounder and a third rounder (1648 points). An entire draft from the 30 spot would be 1124 points.
When the contract values changed the chart that Dallas came up with became more obsolete. Not all drafts are equal in my eyes and it should be a case by case basis

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not about just the 1 hit, it's also about depth.

If you can get me possibly the best defensive player I have ever seen (jj watt), I'm all for it.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of Tampa...since he was on Tampa....Crabtree was on WSSP today and I was thinking............. Perillo is on the active roster right now and serves absolutely no purpose other than scout team. He never dresses and I doubt they ever put him in a game unless everyone gets hurt. Why not find a way to "IR" him and get Crab back. This team needs some special teams help and I couldn't think of a bigger special teams stud than him. He also was a pretty damn good blocker on offense if needed. Probably better in those double tight sets with quarless than Rodgers. I actually tweeted that out and Crab favorited it which means he is down!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts