Official Tampa thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

Bucs' defense is 22 in the league per DVOA. More importantly, 26th in the league in pass defense. 30th against no. 1 receivers; 27th against no. 2s; 25th against TEs. They're ok against RBs and other receivers.

Our defense does fine against the 31st ranked offense in the league.

Rogers and offense bounce back in a big way. Packers 45 Tampa 16.

In addition DT Gerald McCoy (by far their best player on defense) went to IR after getting injured during last week´s game.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please dont misunderstand my comments....I am not saying the def is great, or even SB worthy.

By point is that the def has stopped top WR and the Tampa wr prob wont have a good day based on prior history, but they could..

Rodell had to explain Calvin only played one game..As if it shouldnt count----But it does..

Thats my only issue[/QUOT E

No man I didn't say it shouldn't count. It shouldn't carry as much merit until after the Lions game in regards to ,Calvin Johnson. putting words in my mouth. The defense has had great games...and terrible games. Can't spin that.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference between the 2014 Packers defense and that of other years since 2010, is that this year's defense has demonstrated its ability to shut down good offenses. We saw it against the Patriots, the Falcons for one half, and the Eagles. The problem as Rodell noted is consistency. This is still a step in the right direction. Our defense wasn't capable of dictating an outcome in the recent past. Having the capability to do it puts us in position to go all the way. That defense needs to show up every week, especially any week that the offense is slumped over the steering wheel.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No man I didn't say it shouldn't count. It shouldn't carry as much merit until after the Lions game in regards to ,Calvin Johnson. putting words in my mouth. The defense has had great games...and terrible games. Can't spin that.

This is what you said...

you can't include Calvin Johnson as he's only played in one game against us this yr.

You said cant include, now your saying it shouldnt carry much merit?

I am not spinning anything--I am going by your exact words

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what you said...

You said cant include, now your saying it shouldnt carry much merit?

I am not spinning anything--I am going by your exact words

Ok then, put it this way. The defense needs to start playing their best football starting Sunday. They need to carry over last weeks performance until the season is over. Have a nice day good sir

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The difference between the 2014 Packers defense and that of other years since 2010, is that this year's defense has demonstrated its ability to shut down good offenses. We saw it against the Patriots, the Falcons for one half, and the Eagles. The problem as Rodell noted is consistency. This is still a step in the right direction. Our defense wasn't capable of dictating an outcome in the recent past. Having the capability to do it puts us in position to go all the way. That defense needs to show up every week, especially any week that the offense is slumped over the steering wheel.

The 2010 defense held six opponents to under 10 points a game and was 2nd in points allowed during the regular season. No way this year's defense is better.

EDIT: Sorry misread your statement, I thought you said this year's defense was better than the 2010 edition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
The 2010 defense held six opponents to under 10 points a game and was 2nd in points allowed during the regular season. No way this year's defense is better.

Wow. Who would ever think otherwise?

This D is a HUGE question mark.

You just do NOT know which one will show. Very inconsistent.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it's hard to argue that our D is in the 2010 category. Remember, we had Cullen Jenkins that year who was our key force up front. Sure Clay Matthews has always kind of taken the spotlight from the media and announcers, but having Jenkins up front there is what really allowed him to turn loose, and we've really not had a DT with that kind of pass rush ability since. I think that's the one area where TT needs to bring in the Cavalry in the next draft, is go after a pass-rushing DT, like a Leonard Williams type.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

It should be mentioned that the front office of the bucs will probably want them to lose their final two games and get the top pick in 2015

Don't start another conspiracy theory, please...lol :p

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Yeah it's hard to argue that our D is in the 2010 category. Remember, we had Cullen Jenkins that year who was our key force up front. Sure Clay Matthews has always kind of taken the spotlight from the media and announcers, but having Jenkins up front there is what really allowed him to turn loose, and we've really not had a DT with that kind of pass rush ability since. I think that's the one area where TT needs to bring in the Cavalry in the next draft, is go after a pass-rushing DT, like a Leonard Williams type.
Sure Clay Matthews has always kind of taken the spotlight from the media

And half of that is due to his hair.

Please remember that before he moved inside, his numbers were WAY down. It was requiring him AND Peppers to produce his annual average of sacks. And apparently he will not be staying inside.

Also he has exactly ONE full 16 start season since coming to the Pack. Not sure but this may be his second.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And half of that is due to his hair.

Please remember that before he moved inside, his numbers were WAY down. It was requiring him AND Peppers to produce his annual average of sacks. And apparently he will not be staying inside.

Also he has exactly ONE full 16 start season since coming to the Pack. Not sure but this may be his second.

He was also double and sometimes even triple teamed a lot always lining up outside. Numbers don't mean everything.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
While Clay’s sack numbers were down before the switch inside, I believe he and Peppers were taking turns in leading the team in pressures. He played in 16 games his rookie season, missed one regular season game the next season and I believe he sat out the last game of the 2011 season with other starters (Flynn’s 6 TD game against the Lions). He did miss four games and five games respectively in the next two seasons, but if my memory is correct he only missed one game due to injury during his first three seasons.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
He was also double and sometimes even triple teamed a lot always lining up outside. Numbers don't mean everything.
I just think he is over rated.

He's good. Don't get me wrong. IMO he's over paid and over rated.

Last edited:

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I believe he and Peppers were taking turns in leading the team in pressures.
I agree 100%. The 7 or so sacks Matthews was averaging per season were only equaled when Peppers AND Matthews combined worked together.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Mike Daniels better get around to "slapping someone" around to get this defense mean for the post season

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been thinking on this one. Not much I can do going through chemo, anyway pack has this one players on o-line want to show fans it was a fluke. On how bad they played Lacy will get the yards he needs to break 1000 yards d-line will stand strong, game will be fun to watch pack 48 bucks 7.

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well everyone thought they should cream ATL in GB so any given Sunday rules still apply.

I will say 33-23 Packers if they can play good Defense.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At home, I would say we win by more of course, but I still think we win on the road by 14. They've had to think about their performance for a week and I think they'll be ready to get the bad taste out of their mouth.

Packers: 34
Tampa Bay: 17

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that losing Cullen Jenkins after winning the Super Bowl hurt but Thompson was right about not handing out a five-year, $25 million to him as he only had another good season after 2010. Mike Daniels has been really good over the last two seasons.

While I would love to get Leonard Williams in next year´s draft he will be long gone at the time the Packers pick.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that losing Cullen Jenkins after winning the Super Bowl hurt but Thompson was right about not handing out a five-year, $25 million to him as he only had another good season after 2010. Mike Daniels has been really good over the last two seasons.

While I would love to get Leonard Williams in next year´s draft he will be long gone at the time the Packers pick.

Leonard Williams will probably go in the top 5. Unfortunately, the only ILB who looks like a real 1st round prospect is Bernardrick Mckinney, and he may very well be gone before the Packers pick.

That doesn't leave the Packers with a lot to choose from. Danny Sheldon at DT, Dante Fowler at OLB (keep Clay at ILB), PJ Williams at CB if we lose Tramon to FA. Somebody among those 3 should be there late in the 1st round.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree 100%. The 7 or so sacks Matthews was averaging per season were only equaled when Peppers AND Matthews combined worked together.
I don't think you understood the point I was making. I disagree with you emphasizing sacks as if it's the only measure of Matthews' or any other player's effectiveness.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I don't think you understood the point I was making. I disagree with you emphasizing sacks as if it's the only measure of Matthews' or any other player's effectiveness.
I know that making the QB flee or hurry has value as well.

CM3 is not a pass defender. And we all know about GB shortcomings in the run stop department the last several years so which stats of his should we be talking about?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Taking sacks as the only indicator of a pass rusher isn´t a good way to figure out his performance. His pass rush productivity (combined sacks, hits and hurries in comparison to his pass rushing snaps) is similar to previous seasons.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know that making the QB flee or hurry has value as well.

CM3 is not a pass defender. And we all know about GB shortcomings in the run stop department the last several years so which stats of his should we be talking about?

The defensive line and ILBs have been mostly responsible for the Packers atrocious run defense before the bye week. Since moving Matthews inside the Packers have allowed only 94 rushing yards per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts