Official Tampa thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think they have had a good plan since they assembled this staff, but things change. People think we have one and dones because somehow MM and capers forget how to coach or that TT can't build a good team? At the end of last year, the fact we made the playoffs and were even in the game was a testament to just how good these coaches are. We didn't have a lot of players available to even field an NFL caliber defense, let alone win in the playoffs and yet we were a rookie keeping his hands on the ball play away from going to the NFC championship game.

This year, Barrington was hurt all last year and had lots of growing to do this year. He still does, he can make plays, but he still makes a lot of mistakes. Last week against the Bills he single handedly wasted 2 stops and our timeouts. That stuff won't fly against the really good teams, it didn't last week either. But he's growing into the position. Neal has played a couple different positions, it isn't easy to just switch. He's has steadily improved and grown into the position and it shows in the defense. Peppers was a great addition. Perry is healthy again, well kind of, and we need him to stay that way. He's not an all-star, but when he's not in the lineup, the effect on the defense is noticeable. But he's had trouble staying on the field too.

We need all these guys available, and I think our defense is going to open some eyes this post season. If the offense finds their groove again, I like our chances anywhere against anyone.

I couldn't agree more and nobody is talking about how healthy we are right now. Even Devon House will be back for playoffs. Your 100 percent on point as last year against Niners as we had Datone Jones playing outside linebacker and Shields was out of game early. The defense was decimated and yet we were a Hyde dropped pick from most likely pulling the game out. MM and Capers kept us in a game last year we really had no bizz being in.

We are in perfect position to go on a "5 game run".

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our winning % at home is 100% On the road it's: .500

Here are the 4 teams we beat on the road: Da' Bears, Vikes, Dolphins and Bucs with a combined winning % of .345.
(.333, .400, .533 and .133 respectively)

We've been beat on the road this year by: The Seahawks, Lions, Saints and Bills with a combined winning % of .599.
(.733, .733, .400, .533 respectively)

The Saints loss is inexplicable to me. It's the only outlier in this.
It's good competition we've lost to on the road except for the Saints. They are not a good football team and we couldn't beat them. Are they better or worse then their record? Does it really matter now?

The only road win against a winning team was Miami and we BARELY beat them.

So unfortunately the only logical conclusion to draw is that we usually cannot beat good teams on the road and occasionally get beat by bad ones.

My definition of good is over .500 win %.

So, Twiddle, if we have to travel to Seattle this post-season I might take you up on that offer. :p

In 2010, our road record was a 3-5 and then we became the first NFC 6th seed ever to win three on the road to get to the Super Bowl. We are also a bad rushing team and then once the playoffs started we became a good one.

In 2011, our offense was unstoppable, including vs. the same Giants team that would knock us out, and come playoff time, it was on offbeat turnover machine.

In 2012, we had a solid defense at number 11 overall. Then the 49ers ran all over us.

Last season, our defense was bad most of the year and then played a solid game while missing nearly every play maker we had.

EDIT: Adding on that we were 8-0 at home in 2011 before the loss.

My point is that once the playoffs begin, it doesn't matter what happened in the regular season. The last four playoff seasons have seen something much different from the Packers than the regular season, both good and bad. Things can change and do change quickly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I really don't want to get into the Seattle defense thing but they have been feasting on bad QB's that can't throw or convert on 3rd down. They haven't played a decent QB since Romo. The Hawks will say they had this big team meeting and some will say Wagner came back and there defense went to a whole new level. Wagner is a great football player but I am not buying it. Wagner was out there when they got pushed by the Cowboys and he was out there when Rivers picked em apart. In fact other then the new Mark Sanchez look Eagles the Hawks haven't played a top 10 offense since Dallas. Last night the Cards had receivers open and either couldn't hold on to ball or Lindly just couldn't get it there.

San Diego and Dallas both have TEs capable of taking advantage of Seattle's defense. All five TD passes against the Seahawks in those games were caught by TEs. The Packers don't have a guy like that on the roster though.

H

HardRightEdge

San Diego and Dallas both have TEs capable of taking advantage of Seattle's defense. All five TD passes against the Seahawks in those games were caught by TEs. The Packers don't have a guy like that on the roster though.
True, but neither of those teams have 2 WRs who make plays in the short routes the way Nelson and Cobb do. While Nelson has played almost exclusively wide out this season, he was rated the All-Pro slot receiver by PFF last season. Wide or inside, he can run the h*ll out of a route under the safties and makes big catches in traffic. I would expect Cobb to be named slot man of the year this season; I'm not sure there's a close second.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Yeah I know. I've been posting for about a week now how much I miss J. Finley and the looming weeks are a big reason why. I just can't get too deep into a potential Seahawk match up right now with whats ahead. However I do know the Seahawks will come out and throw 8 in the box as they don't change there D for anyone. It's gonna be one of those deals where there gonna rush 4 and drop LB's back into coverage and they will mix it up with some nickel. This year they will mix in a blitz as they can't really get pressure with 4 but I wanna see em try it with Rodgers.

MM is just gonna have to draw it up where we can get some mismatches. He drew up a great game plan against the Pat's D. I know one thing is for sure that he won't try to play half or a section of the field.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I will also say playing Detroit's D this week will be a good measuring stick for what we can do in a potential game against Seattle.

H

HardRightEdge

I will also say playing Detroit's D this week will be a good measuring stick for what we can do in a potential game against Seattle.
Detroit likes to run a lot rush 4, drop 7, 2-high safety. It will be a good test.

D

Deleted member 6794

True, but neither of those teams have 2 WRs who make plays in the short routes the way Nelson and Cobb do. While Nelson has played almost exclusively wide out this season, he was rated the All-Pro slot receiver by PFF last season. Wide or inside, he can run the h*ll out of a route under the safties and makes big catches in traffic. I would expect Cobb to be named slot man of the year this season; I'm not sure there's a close second.

I've followed the discussion about the Packers lack of a productive TE over the last week but didn't have enough time to write a meaningful response.

Here's what I think about it in a few words. While Nelson and Cobb are capable of catching balls in the slot a TE would be a great asset against physical teams like Seattle. Finley had all the talent in the world to be a dominant force but hardly was able to show it on the field constantly.

Nevertheless I would feel way better about our chances against the Seahawks with Finley than with our current group of TEs.

H

HardRightEdge

I've followed the discussion about the Packers lack of a productive TE over the last week but didn't have enough time to write a meaningful response.

Here's what I think about it in a few words. While Nelson and Cobb are capable of catching balls in the slot a TE would be a great asset against physical teams like Seattle. Finley had all the talent in the world to be a dominant force but hardly was able to show it on the field constantly.

Nevertheless I would feel way better about our chances against the Seahawks with Finley than with our current group of TEs.
I wouldn't disagree with that. It would be nice to have highly productive players at every position.

My point is that a feature TE or TE/WR hybrid is not a necessity in order to win.

Here's another way to look at. With all of those go-to TEs around the league, many defenses have shifted to bigger, stronger safeties of the LB hybrid variety. They're bigger hitters but perhaps not so quick in coverage. That can work to one's advantage with quick receivers. While a Finley might be able to body-up with a guy like Chancellor, a Cobb can run under and away from him. When you get down to it, Chancellor is slow in the open field compared to the classic safety.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Fact is we dont have Finley or a dominant TE. I agree with HRE though that we have more then capable guys to create problems. Not only is Chancellor slow there secondary overall is slow other then Thomas. MM is just gonna have to draw it up and let Aaron "Sling it"

Lets find out if the Seahawks are the self proclaimed "best defense of all time" or "just the biggest mouth of all time". If we can handle Detroit's D we can handle Seattle.

D

Deleted member 6794

My point is that a feature TE or TE/WR hybrid is not a necessity in order to win.

Here's another way to look at. With all of those go-to TEs around the league, many defenses have shifted to bigger, stronger safeties of the LB hybrid variety. They're bigger hitters but perhaps not so quick in coverage. That can work to one's advantage with quick receivers. While a Finley might be able to body-up with a guy like Chancellor, a Cobb can run under and away from him. When you get down to it, Chancellor is slow in the open field compared to the classic safety.

I agree that a featured TE isn't necessary to win in the NFL but it makes it a lot easier though. The Seahawks defense has been very good in taking a team's top WRs out of the game but have struggled vs. TEs. Quarless or Rodgers aren't good enough of exploiting this weakness though.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I agree that a featured TE isn't necessary to win in the NFL but it makes it a lot easier though. The Seahawks defense has been very good in taking a team's top WRs out of the game but have struggled vs. TEs. Quarless or Rodgers aren't good enough of exploiting this weakness though.

Right but once again the Chargers dont have that great of WR's to begin with. Chiefs receivers are a joke. Cowboys have good receivers but lack speed and they lost to all of them. The Hawks are built to take away the run and can get away with it cause the teams in there division don't have vertical weapons combined with good QB play.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Did anyone see what Desean Jackson did to the Seahawks with a mediocre QB?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I mean I saw some slow *** dude blow by Sherman last night. Is Rodgers gonna miss that throw? Is Jordy gonna drop that pass again?

D

Deleted member 6794

Right but once again the Chargers dont have that great of WR's to begin with. Chiefs receivers are a joke. Cowboys have good receivers but lack speed and they lost to all of them. The Hawks are built to take away the run and can get away with it cause the teams in there division don't have vertical weapons combined with good QB play.

Don't get me wrong it's possible to beat the Seahawks, no doubt about it. Their defense is pretty good though and is capable of giving the Packers offense fits. A pass catching threat at TE woukd improve our chances vs. them.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong it's possible to beat the Seahawks, no doubt about it. Their defense is pretty good though and is capable of giving the Packers offense fits. A pass catching threat at TE woukd improve our chances vs. them.

Would love a TE but when you look at it closer Detroit has better D-line then Seahawks which would give them better chance at getting pressure with 4. Handle Detroit and we can handle Seattle IMO. It the perfect prep game. Then let Detroit go play Seattle hopefully. Let those two beat each other up.

D

Deleted member 6794

Would love a TE but when you look at it closer Detroit has better D-line then Seahawks which would give them better chance at getting pressure with 4. Handle Detroit and we can handle Seattle IMO. It the perfect prep game. Then let Detroit go play Seattle hopefully. Let those two beat each other up.

The Seahawks secondary is better than the Lions though and Seattle has proven to be capable of containing the Packers offense. There's no reason to not be concerned about them being able to do it again if we face them in the playoffs.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Seahawks secondary is better than the Lions though and Seattle has proven to be capable of containing the Packers offense. There's no reason to not be concerned about them being able to do it again if we face them in the playoffs.

Of course we have to be concerned of any team we play in the playoffs. Beating the seahawks will take a great great effort especially at there place if thats where we end up. I am just real anxious to see what we can do against Lions on Sunday after all these good fronts we have played and how MM and our offensive line will go about it. Lions secondary ain't to shabby and they have good safety play. They represent the perfect test IMO.

H

HardRightEdge

It's not as though there is no TE on the field. Lacy is a very effective receiver, and Starks too if he doesn't have to reach for the ball. Quarless is not a bad receiver; Rodgers has good hands and is still learning the craft even if he won't run away from anybody.

Playing 4-on-5 or 5-on-5 against zone under the safeties with the guys we have looks pretty attractive, and I don't think Finley would add that much...he was more a stretch-the-field TE than a ball control TE, and we've got 3 WRs who can make those safeties take a few steps back.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's not as though there is no TE on the field. Lacy is a very effective receiver, and Starks too if he doesn't have to reach for the ball. Quarless is not a bad receiver; Rodgers has good hands and is still learning the craft even if he won't run away from anybody.

Playing 4-on-5 or 5-on-5 against zone under the safeties with the guys we have looks pretty attractive, and I don't think Finley would add that much...he was more a stretch-the-field TE than a ball control TE, and we've got 3 WRs who can make those safeties take a few steps back.

I tend to agree HRE. Attractive it is and I get tired of all these people that say "we dont match up well against the Seahawks". Im like who does match up well against the Seahawks then? The Niners and there slow receivers and a QB that isn't that big a threat with his arm? The Cards with Lindly? The Chiefs and Alex Smith or the Rams with Austin Davis? I get it that we all would like to match up against the Falcons or the Panthers every week but you gotta beat the best. I think with Aaron Rodgers and our weapons we match against Seahawks or Lions as good as anybody.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think tbe whole thing is keeping it "3rd down friendly" . Converting on 3rd down and taking shots down field when the opportunity presents itself .

We got the horses to do that agaisnt anybody.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts