Official Studs n Duds Steelers

Reaction score
I mean that size dude ran a 4.53 forty and a 7.19 cone drill.
Yeah I forgot about that. He’s got above average hands and once he’s past 5 yards of LOS he’s the biggest man on the field.

He carried a Tampa Defender (in the NFC game) on his back and literally the combined weight with Lazard? pushing absolutely steamrolled Devin White. We all know Devin White doesn’t get pushed around much in this league, but watch the film, he literally got rolled over trying to figure out how to stop that train wreck. I had to replay that like 5 times to make sure who that Tampa Defender was that got embarrassed looking all complacent and using a judo technique back roll to avoid injury. :ninja:

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is 100% quicker than many think he is, that pass to the flat found him past the first down before most realized. He is no burner at all, but he is quicker than most think for sure.

He has great lower body explosion to get up to that galloping speed of his, which isnt great but he has great functional speed. One thing I notice is that leg tackles don't seem to work that well on him, on that catch in the flat he just chugged through the defender who caught him in the legs. I think most backs get upended with that hit short of the sticks but Dillon just got bounced a little bit towards the sideline and kept going for another 6-8 yards after contact.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said this earlier, but Dillon needs double digit touches to get going. It’s not that he gets 5.5 per carry.
It’s more like 2, 4, 1, 6,5, 3, 4, 14, 7, 2, 6, 7, 17, 2, 7. He takes a bit to get going, but I actually believe Defenders on ground level are not used to a regular load like that coming consistent. The last thing you do is run him 4-5 times. I’d rather not use him at all.

The few FB sized guys in today’s game rarely ever see more than 5-7 carries (there’s exceptions like Henry) Dillon is hybrid FB/HB athletic enough to get 25 carries if needed and he’s just getting primed at 10 carries. Anything less than 6-8 is bordering on counterproductive

Also, when Dillon gets by the front 7 when the combustion pops, he’s pretty quick and he’s 15 yards downfield rumbling before anyone catches him and he carries and falls for another 5-7 yards. It ain’t pretty, especially if YOU are the one having to play “chase the Bull” :x3:
I havent' seen a whole lot of 1 yard carriers from Dillon. I mean he often gets hit at the LoS or within 2 yards and almost always seems to get atleast three...

But you are on to something. Dillon led the league among backs with 40 plus carries last season with...

"81.4. Dillon averaged 3.57 yards after contact and produced five “explosive” runs. Among running backs with at least 40 carries, Dillon had the highest “elusive rating.” He forced 18 missed tackles on just 48 touches."

That's an impressive average, and an impressive number of whiffs, but against Tennessee with those 21 carries he posted 90 yards after contact good for an average of 4.3 ypc after contact which is in the stratosphere for tough running. More to the point that game against Tennessee completely shifted his yards after contact average. I'm guessing that prior to that game that he was in the mid 2s. Small sample size but yes he does seem to get comparatively stronger with each carry. IMO he should average 15 carries per game.

I agree with you, and I think his matchup against modern day backers could prove and already has looked to be overwhelming.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I forgot about that. He’s got above average hands and once he’s past 5 yards of LOS he’s the biggest man on the field.

He carried a Tampa Defender (in the NFC game) on his back and literally the combined weight with Lazard? pushing absolutely steamrolled Devin White. We all know Devin White doesn’t get pushed around much in this league, but watch the film, he literally got rolled over trying to figure out how to stop that train wreck. I had to replay that like 5 times to make sure who that Tampa Defender was that got embarrassed looking all complacent and using a judo technique back roll to avoid injury. :ninja:

Before the game I remember thinking that Dillon could be a key matchup, that TBs superb ILB duo would be a bad matchup against a back like Dillon. Then we barely saw Dillon until the game was almost out of reach and only saw a few carries, but in the few he had he looked like our best back(in that game) by far. I wonder what would have happened if he started getting warmed up in the first quarter and then headed into the half with 10+.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said this earlier, but Dillon needs double digit touches to get going. It’s not that he gets 5.5 per carry.
It’s more like 2, 4, 1, 6,5, 3, 4, 14, 7, 2, 6, 7, 17, 2, 7. He takes a bit to get going, but I actually believe Defenders on ground level are not used to a regular load like that coming consistent. The last thing you do is run him 4-5 times. I’d rather not use him at all.

The few FB sized guys in today’s game rarely ever see more than 5-7 carries (there’s exceptions like Henry) Dillon is hybrid FB/HB athletic enough to get 25 carries if needed and he’s just getting primed at 10 carries. Anything less than 6-8 is bordering on counterproductive

Also, when Dillon gets by the front 7 when the combustion pops, he’s pretty quick and he’s 15 yards downfield rumbling before anyone catches him and he carries and falls for another 5-7 yards. It ain’t pretty, especially if YOU are the one having to play “chase the Bull” :x3:
Using two backs effectively that are both healthy is a coaching skill. Over the years one was featured because another goes out with an injury.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steelers game is precisely how I want to see Jones and Dillon utilization honestly.

Jones 48yds on 15 carries on 45 snaps tossing in three receptions for 51 yds
Dillon 81yds on 15 carries on 29 snaps tossing in one reception for 16 yds

That was right at 196 offensive yards almost split 50/50 between them. That to me is a massive ingredient for a successful recipe.

It is clear Dillon is a problem for defenses carrying the ball nearly 50% of every time he lines up in the backfield for a snap and still delivering excellent rate of yards given on them.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then why don't you watch it on your local station?
CBS locally switched Titans Jets. It's one thing if that was the original game, but it switched to it. But this is just one of the many reasons why I watch less and less sports as I get older.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud

Cobb-he lives

Davante-Consummate pro, consummate stud, consummate leader. Not many opportunities, but made the most of them. The way he patiently turns potential losses into 10+ yard gains with his footwork and shiftiness is nothing short of art.

RBs-Both can catch. Both pass-protect well. Dillon is a guaranteed 4-6 yards, always falls forward. Jones needs to stop fumbling.
Campbell-Providing a lot of answers for us at that spot. Strong tackler and a leader on D

Clark/Gary-imposing their will

Stokes-learning fast, shows much promise

Keke-honorable mention, making his presence felt

Dud

Deguara-Rarely have I seen such a complete and utter liability on the football field. A pathetic whiffed block and costly penalty within two series, and zero positive contributions that I could see. He's just bumbling around out there. Useless pick. What exactly does he DO??? Get this guy off the field and off the team.

OL communication breakdowns-Missing starters were bound to hurt eventually. They did a few times today

Burks-Finds himself in position to make plays but then botches them. He needs to learn that you don't need to make the perfect tackle every single time but rather just impede the ball carrier until your cavalry arrives. This is team defense.

All Gas No Break??? Can we get back to this? This team needs to finish stronger. It feels like a McCarthy team where we get a lead and then just STOP playing. I have been less than impressed with limping to the finish line at home, this won't cut it against better teams. Can we step on someone's throat for once and try to put up 40-50 and put it out of reach. We played flat in the 4th like it was already over, and this complacency rears its ugly head far too often around here.
Ditto on the Burks take. He’s been disappointing to say the least.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CBS locally switched Titans Jets. It's one thing if that was the original game, but it switched to it. But this is just one of the many reasons why I watch less and less sports as I get older.
My wife encountered the same surprise. When the Chiefs- Eagles ended they put in Titans-Jets.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steelers game is precisely how I want to see Jones and Dillon utilization honestly.

Jones 48yds on 15 carries on 45 snaps tossing in three receptions for 51 yds
Dillon 81yds on 15 carries on 29 snaps tossing in one reception for 16 yds

That was right at 196 offensive yards almost split 50/50 between them. That to me is a massive ingredient for a successful recipe.

It is clear Dillon is a problem for defenses carrying the ball nearly 50% of every time he lines up in the backfield for a snap and still delivering excellent rate of yards given on them.

His physicality and that 50/50 split should lead to some big splash PA plays.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud

Cobb-he lives

Davante-Consummate pro, consummate stud, consummate leader. Not many opportunities, but made the most of them. The way he patiently turns potential losses into 10+ yard gains with his footwork and shiftiness is nothing short of art.

RBs-Both can catch. Both pass-protect well. Dillon is a guaranteed 4-6 yards, always falls forward. Jones needs to stop fumbling.
Campbell-Providing a lot of answers for us at that spot. Strong tackler and a leader on D

Clark/Gary-imposing their will

Stokes-learning fast, shows much promise

Keke-honorable mention, making his presence felt

Dud

Deguara-Rarely have I seen such a complete and utter liability on the football field. A pathetic whiffed block and costly penalty within two series, and zero positive contributions that I could see. He's just bumbling around out there. Useless pick. What exactly does he DO??? Get this guy off the field and off the team.

OL communication breakdowns-Missing starters were bound to hurt eventually. They did a few times today

Burks-Finds himself in position to make plays but then botches them. He needs to learn that you don't need to make the perfect tackle every single time but rather just impede the ball carrier until your cavalry arrives. This is team defense.

All Gas No Break??? Can we get back to this? This team needs to finish stronger. It feels like a McCarthy team where we get a lead and then just STOP playing. I have been less than impressed with limping to the finish line at home, this won't cut it against better teams. Can we step on someone's throat for once and try to put up 40-50 and put it out of reach. We played flat in the 4th like it was already over, and this complacency rears its ugly head far too often around here.
Agree completely with your last point. It's what I couldn't stand about MM - get a lead and then "play not to lose" - which almost guarantees a loss. The Patriots under Brady were never afraid to put up big numbers on an opponent. I have more faith in MLF and so hope this won't be a trend. This offense can put up 30-40 plus points a game on a consistent basis. So just do it, for 60 minutes, not 45.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

With MVS out, I'd use Jones more as a receiver and let Dillon get more carries. They're actually both good receivers so that could be mixed up. But yeah like any good, hard-hitting RB, Dillon gets stronger as the game goes on. He doesn't have the finesse of Jones, but who cares when he can carry a pile of players on his back for 5-6 yards after contact?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His physicality and that 50/50 split should lead to some big splash PA plays.

It caused the nearly perfect drop in TD pass to Tonyan on the one drive. Rodgers just underthrew it a hair and the defender got in there.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a game goes exactly as I plan, about 70% of Dillon's carries will come in the second half.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree completely with your last point. It's what I couldn't stand about MM - get a lead and then "play not to lose" - which almost guarantees a loss. The Patriots under Brady were never afraid to put up big numbers on an opponent. I have more faith in MLF and so hope this won't be a trend. This offense can put up 30-40 plus points a game on a consistent basis. So just do it, for 60 minutes, not 45.
Do not know why we went to 3 incomplete passes in the 4th quarter when we had 2nd and 4 in Pitt territory and a 17 point lead. Give the ball to Dillon. If we do not get the first you still burn about 90 seconds off the clock.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do not know why we went to 3 incomplete passes in the 4th quarter when we had 2nd and 4 in Pitt territory and a 17 point lead. Give the ball to Dillon. If we do not get the first you still burn about 90 seconds off the clock.

They were going for the juggler there. I didn't mind one, perhaps even two stabs at it, but the three straight just wasn't my taste - however the plays were there they just blew it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
the plays were there they just blew it.
I think you nailed it with that. It is always great when you have a big lead and can run the ball to burn more time. However, I can remember MM in that situation and we end up 3 and out on 3 rushing attempts as well. Yes, you run more clock by running the ball, but the more first downs you pick up, the more clock you can run. Keep the defense guessing and if the dagger is there, find it.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you nailed it with that. It is always great when you have a big lead and can run the ball to burn more time. However, I can remember MM in that situation and we end up 3 and out on 3 rushing attempts as well. Yes, you run more clock by running the ball, but the more first downs you pick up, the more clock you can run. Keep the defense guessing and if the dagger is there, find it.
We were probably in a safe situation in which the Steelers had little chance of tying the game. But I am also one who does not want to risk injuries either. Get the game over ASAP. And get ready foe the next one. Besides, Dillon was pounding it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
But I am also one who does not want to risk injuries either.
Well they still have to play the full 60 minutes and you still can get guys hurt rushing the ball or on defense. Ideally, if you put the other team away early, you play your backups and don't worry as much about injuries. So in the case of the Steelers another TD to go up by 24 is probably the dagger that brings the backups in.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point Poker. Nobody is gonna get upset with a coach who plays to win for the whole 60 minutes. I keep thinking back with dread to the 2014 NFCCG against the Hags. MM just stopped playing to win. We all saw the painful result.

Members online

Latest posts