Official Studs n Duds Steelers

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: The NFL- couldn't watch the game until the 2nd quarter due to the freaking Jets/Titans full overtime. Also can't watch it on Sunday Ticket because Sunday Ticket games don't work if it's on local channel. Been like this for many years. What a freaking joke.
Then why don't you watch it on your local station?

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes we won, but this was a home game and we should’ve put this one away before the 4th quarter opened and we let them make it a 1 score game in the 4th quarter. We looked sloppy and disjointed with splash plays in between.

The Steelers didn't get within one score after Crosby put the Packers up 20-10 early in the third quarter.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There’s no game plan for a QB who can’t move, has a pop gun arm, doesn’t like to move the pocket, hates play action, and resists incorporating RPO’s.
I was going to say, his deep misses were almost closer than his dump off misses. He Threw a pretty good pass for a TD early and after that He couldn't hit a receiver standing still, running across his face, running down field, slanting, curling, posting, flying, nothing.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then why don't you watch it on your local station?

Assume it was scheduled to be on the local station, but the other game went long so, they stuck with the other game until it was done. I think the only time they cut away is when the game coming up is in the local market. So, if you were in an area schedule to view the Ten/Jets game followed by GB/Pitt, they wouldn't cut away to GB/Pitt unless you were in GB/Pitt local market. Everywhere else they would roll with the Ten/Jets game until done then go to GB/Pitt.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assume it was scheduled to be on the local station, but the other game went long so, they stuck with the other game until it was done. I think the only time they cut away is when the game coming up is in the local market. So, if you were in an area schedule to view the Ten/Jets game followed by GB/Pitt, they wouldn't cut away to GB/Pitt unless you were in GB/Pitt local market. Everywhere else they would roll with the Ten/Jets game until done then go to GB/Pitt.

I just pulled it up on NFL.com and watched it live till that OT game was done then switched to TV.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is what happened down here. Fortunately we could watch it on our Sling Box up in my BIL's house in GB so we got to see the entire first quarter.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Steelers didn't get within one score after Crosby put the Packers up 20-10 early in the third quarter.
Agree. We had control of this game from the moment Crosby hit his first field goal at the end of the first half. The Keke strip sack changed the entire outlook of this game.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Dillon- very good yardage by him. He was unstoppable and showed again that he has really good hands. I love the duo Jones/Dillon
Cobb- he still is one of the safest 3 rd targets in the league. Its so nice to have him back and MLF giving him a bigger role each week
Keke- its so good to see some godd plays from him. Also it is extremely nice that there is always one player on the DL that steps up, besides Clark of course. Kenny is dominating as always
Campbell- one of the best additions Gutey has brought in. He is everywhere and is the much needed ILB this defense needs
Nijman- dude comes in as the 3rd LT and plays extremely well for that. I love the depth at the OL

Duds:

blocking unit at special teams- Packers were extremely lucky in the last two games because the right side blocking is horrendous
Rodgers' inconsistency- Rodger overall had a good game but his constant over-/underthrows cost the offense sooo many points. Packer should dropped a 50 burger on the Steelers but they constantly missed their opportunities.
the refs, again- the refs were really, really bad for both teams. Packers got extremely lucky on that blocked FG but also got robbed with the tripping call. And I felt the dpi on Stokes was, once again, a soft *** call.

The team played really well overall, so its hard to not list nearly everyone on the stud list. Stokes was picked on all game long but he did well for that. When jaire was out, Steelers avoided Stokes, so that is some recognition.
The depth in the trenches is really nice and saves the Packers because injuries are piling up right now. CB is gonna be a big problem if Jaire is out for a certain time. Bengals have a really good and deep WR group.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was just reading about the blocked field goal. Yeah, they were off sides. But two guys were over on that side. Tonyan tried to block them both and did neither. In the SF game the game winning field goal was almost blocked. From the same side. Now that is really on the ST coach imo and besides the formation, which should be addressed, the ST coach also needs to re-think Tonyan being there.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud

Cobb-he lives

Davante-Consummate pro, consummate stud, consummate leader. Not many opportunities, but made the most of them. The way he patiently turns potential losses into 10+ yard gains with his footwork and shiftiness is nothing short of art.

RBs-Both can catch. Both pass-protect well. Dillon is a guaranteed 4-6 yards, always falls forward. Jones needs to stop fumbling.
Campbell-Providing a lot of answers for us at that spot. Strong tackler and a leader on D

Clark/Gary-imposing their will

Stokes-learning fast, shows much promise

Keke-honorable mention, making his presence felt

Dud

Deguara-Rarely have I seen such a complete and utter liability on the football field. A pathetic whiffed block and costly penalty within two series, and zero positive contributions that I could see. He's just bumbling around out there. Useless pick. What exactly does he DO??? Get this guy off the field and off the team.

OL communication breakdowns-Missing starters were bound to hurt eventually. They did a few times today

Burks-Finds himself in position to make plays but then botches them. He needs to learn that you don't need to make the perfect tackle every single time but rather just impede the ball carrier until your cavalry arrives. This is team defense.

All Gas No Break??? Can we get back to this? This team needs to finish stronger. It feels like a McCarthy team where we get a lead and then just STOP playing. I have been less than impressed with limping to the finish line at home, this won't cut it against better teams. Can we step on someone's throat for once and try to put up 40-50 and put it out of reach. We played flat in the 4th like it was already over, and this complacency rears its ugly head far too often around here.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didnt like Jones' fumble but I still have to rate him a stud, his performance split out as a wide receiver was impressive to me.

AJ Dillon needs to get more touches more consistently. As a traditional running back he just brings a component that this offense has never had not even with a non too fat Lacy. Dillon is more physical than Lacy more of a north south runner than Lacy, who was more of a footwork guy, and brings more momentum and kinetic energy behind his pads at the point of contact. It really looked like he was hurting the Steelers defense mentally as well as physically out there.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Burks-Finds himself in position to make plays but then botches them. He needs to learn that you don't need to make the perfect tackle every single time but rather just impede the ball carrier until your cavalry arrives. This is team defense.
I noticed that too, problem is, Summers is even worse. The Packers are lucky that Campbell is playing pretty well or once again, we would be a mess inside. Hopefully Barnes clears concussion protocol and is on the field soon.

Reaction score
I think if you're putting Jones, you have to put Dillon too. One had 99 all-purpose yards while the other had 97, but Dillon ran much better than Jones did today.
Yes. It’s obvious the MLF gameplan was to relegate some of Jones’ snaps in the receiving area and let Dillon pick up the Rushing attempts he missed. Also to involve Cobb more, knowing Davante would get doubled.

Reaction score
Our back-up offensive line seems to be holding up pretty well.

And has anyone noticed how punting is no longer and adventure?

Or that teams like Pittsburgh and san Francisco can no longer just run the ball at will against the Packer D?
Considering the cumulative games that OL group has started? It’s downright impressive. Plus their Run blocking was at least average to above average

Our Punter is the unsung hero of ST. It’s like night and day as far as ball placement and it’s like we pick up a net 5-10 yards per punt over his predecessor

Devondre Campbell has been an absolute blessing. The guy is so much better than Kirksey or anyone we’ve had in years. We need to Clone that guy.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a really strange game for Rodgers. He made some splash plays, but he misfired on quite a few throws that you would expect him to connect on. Don't get me wrong, he made the plays necessary, but man he left a lot out there too.

The encouraging thing is that you know he will get it on track. And it's also a good feeling knowing that we won a game where clearly we didn't have our best stuff at all.

Like I mentioned in the game thread, Ben Roethlisberger is cooked. Done. If the Packers would've lost this game, it would've been bad, bad news.
For some reason it seemed to me that Rodgers felt some simulated heat from Pittsburgh. Not sure if it was due to Watt or the O line or the pressure defense Pittsburgh uses. He just survived a game with Bosa and the Niners so you would think Pittsburgh would not scare him as much.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For some reason it seemed to me that Rodgers felt some simulated heat from Pittsburgh. Not sure if it was due to Watt or the O line or the pressure defense Pittsburgh uses. He just survived a game with Bosa and the Niners so you would think Pittsburgh would not scare him as much.
I don't think he knew what to expect from TJ Watt's condition and Heyward is a guy I would be scared of too. Fortunately, I think TJ's groin injury wasn't 100% healed and it slowed him up. I agree with what Romo was saying though, the secret to beating Rodgers and the Packers is to really rattle AR as much as possible, the Steelers weren't able to fully do that.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he knew what to expect from TJ Watt's condition and Heyward is a guy I would be scared of too. Fortunately, I think TJ's groin injury wasn't 100% healed and it slowed him up. I agree with what Romo was saying though, the secret to beating Rodgers and the Packers is to really rattle AR as much as possible, the Steelers weren't able to fully do that.
And that is in part because he has other guys who can make plays such as Dillon and Jones who put up rushing numbers when you are up against a good pass rush.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And that is in part because he has other guys who can make plays such as Dillon and Jones who put up rushing numbers when you are up against a good pass rush.
While I am probably wrong, it seems like the defenses that give Rodgers the most trouble are ones with a strong 3 or 4 man fronts and quick linebackers, that are also effective at blitzing the QB. Those are the defenses that get him off his spot and don't allow him enough time to run through his progressions.

I think it was the first Tampa Bay game last year. The Bucs defense played a bit soft for the Packers opening drive and they moved the ball well. Then the Bucs DC must have decided to start blitzing from all over and quickly, Rodgers was totally off his game.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I am probably wrong, it seems like the defenses that give Rodgers the most trouble are ones with a strong 3 or 4 man fronts and quick linebackers, that are also effective at blitzing the QB. Those are the defenses that get him off his spot and don't allow him enough time to run through his progressions.

I think it was the first Tampa Bay game last year. The Bucs defense played a bit soft for the Packers opening drive and they moved the ball well. Then the Bucs DC must have decided to start blitzing from all over and quickly, Rodgers was totally off his game.
Exactly. And many 49er fans wondered why their defense stayed in base believing that Bosa and co. would do the needed damage. Did the Saints try to copy that Bus formula?

Reaction score
AJ Dillon needs to get more touches more consistently.
I said this earlier, but Dillon needs double digit touches to get going. It’s not that he gets 5.5 per carry.
It’s more like 2, 4, 1, 6,5, 3, 4, 14, 7, 2, 6, 7, 17, 2, 7. He takes a bit to get going, but I actually believe Defenders on ground level are not used to a regular load like that coming consistent. The last thing you do is run him 4-5 times. I’d rather not use him at all.

The few FB sized guys in today’s game rarely ever see more than 5-7 carries (there’s exceptions like Henry) Dillon is hybrid FB/HB athletic enough to get 25 carries if needed and he’s just getting primed at 10 carries. Anything less than 6-8 is bordering on counterproductive

Also, when Dillon gets by the front 7 when the combustion pops, he’s pretty quick and he’s 15 yards downfield rumbling before anyone catches him and he carries and falls for another 5-7 yards. It ain’t pretty, especially if YOU are the one having to play “chase the Bull” :x3:

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is 100% quicker than many think he is, that pass to the flat found him past the first down before most realized. He is no burner at all, but he is quicker than most think for sure.

Members online

Latest posts