OFFICIAL RODGERS IS MVP THREAD

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess Drew was supposed to be the one person in the Superdome who was unaware that Sproles was within a few yards of breaking the single season record for all purpose yards.

Oh so he is obsessed with stats? Good to see you agree now.

Good luck to the 2nd best offense in the league this weekend, I am sure you are going to need it at candlestick

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That may be the weakest comeback I have ever seen.

Hard to fight facts isn't it?

But really? What did you expect? Katrina jokes? A comment on that thing growing on drews face? Nah not my style. Backwoods hick jokes? Eghh maybe.

bhuggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all very simple - a lot of Brees numbers have been manufactured late during blowout wins while Rodgers has been either pulled out of games or went conservative late in games to run out the clock and secure the victory. Nothing against Brees because he is only calling the plays his coach directs at him. Whether to ease up on the pedal and/or keep your starters in games even when the outcome is no longer in doubt is totally on the coach and not the player.

Drew Brees is a great player and a classy individual same as Aaron Rodgers. Brees has the advantage of playing in a dome (11 of 16 games this season) and when not indoors, the remainder of his games were all played in warm weather conditions. Playing in climate controlled conditions does make a huge difference, just look at Rodgers' numbers whenever he has played in domed stadiums. Peyton Manning would not have near the career stats he has if not for playing in a dome.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The myth of Drew padding the stats at the end of blowouts has been debunked repeatedly on this board. As I sat at the game Saturday I had a little laugh at the thought of someone posting a, "zomg, the Saints are running up the score in the playoffs" thread. Sure enough, some drunk posted one that night. To the board's credit, several Packers' fans pointed out why he was incorrect and when the poster sobered up he realized it too. Of course, the thread still exists and some of the more casual fans will probably just see the thread title and assume it is accurate.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The myth of Drew padding the stats at the end of blowouts has been debunked repeatedly on this board.

As I sat at the game Saturday I had a little laugh at the thought of someone posting a, "zomg, the Saints are running up the score in the playoffs" thread. Sure enough, some drunk posted one that night. To the board's credit, several Packers' fans pointed out why he was incorrect and when the poster sobered up he realized it too. Of course, the thread still exists and some of the more casual fans will probably just see the thread title and assume it is accurate.

Things have been said about Brees gets more help from his receivers than Rodgers, yet people refuse to listen to it and claim Rodgers shouldnt win.

If that post was made on this forum and you had an issue with it, was it reported so a mod could fix it?

I think Brees is an amazing player, and classy as hell, but in my eyes, gets a little to much credit for the yardage.....He needs help with that...

NO has 3 in top 17 in YAC this year.....In 08 Brees got 5069 yards..No one in the top 20 in yac...Bush was #22....His next closest year was last year..4620 yards, none in yac in the top 40..

I think that clearly shows this year his receivers really helped him out this year..

That is why I dont think plain yardage is a real asset to win the MVP...

Rodgers missed one full game (wont get into being pulled in a big lead) and he has about 155 less completions...

Going by his completion % now, he might have completed about 22 more passes in that one missed game....Prob would have had about 300 yards for about 4943 total yards..About 500 less than Drew..but again Drew would have had about 130 more att..

He also has one less TD, and face it...Drew padded his stats at least in the last game (I think he even mentioned it?) we all know it...

If Rodgers played last game, pretty safe to say he would have got at least one TD to tie Drew..

Dont forget 155 LESS attempts AND 8 LESS int, no multi int games and Drew had 2 or 3 multi interception games...

I think that really will sway the voters...And the fact Rodgers had the passing rating record to boot along with the 14 wins

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
the Mannings should be 1 and 2 in the MVP voting. Neither team would be where they are now without them
Glad your mommy allowed you on the internet. Now I'm sorry that this year NO MANNING deserves the MVP this year upsets you; yet you can at least say you can watch this year's MVP on Sunday's playoff game, his name is Aaron Rodgers, and his number is #12. No not #10, though he is pretty good too, but he is only our back up. Oh you mean the #10 in Blue, yeah he is just some over rated player.

GiantFan inNH

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad your mommy allowed you on the internet. Now I'm sorry that this year NO MANNING deserves the MVP this year upsets you; yet you can at least say you can watch this year's MVP on Sunday's playoff game, his name is Aaron Rodgers, and his number is #12. No not #10, though he is pretty good too, but he is only our back up. Oh you mean the #10 in Blue, yeah he is just some over rated player.

Sorry to hear about your surgery to remove your sense of humor.. it was a joke.. Jesus lighten up already!! Read it again, I realize it may take a while.

Seriously, how much better a definition can you have of MVP than the fact that a team that is perenially one of the strongest contenders in the league loses their QB and wins only 2 games? Obviously Payton is hugely valuable to the Colts.. and in most other seasons, Eli's accomplishments would have him in the running, but it is a no-brainer with the years Rodgers and Brees have had that they are the top two.

I disagee with you about which one should win though.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I disagee with you about which one should win though.

You have piqued my interest with that statement. There has been a lot of garbage on the Saints board (and a fair amount here as well) about the MVP, but honestly, neither we nor the Saints fans are even close to objective about this IMO. Good night, someone posted on here that if we don't believe our team is invincible we are not a true fan. IMHO the fact that I love, support, and am loyal to my team in spite of the fact that I do not believe them to be invincible is some of the best proof that I am a fan.
That being said, why do you think Brees is more deserving than Rodgers. I like to think I am somewhat objective and I think Rodgers wins in those categories that count (QB Rating, TD's, Interceptions, etc.). Our defense is proof that total yards are somewhat meaningless (with as many yards as we have given up we are 15-1). Would you mind elaborating on your opinion?

GiantFan inNH

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't mind at all.. Mine is not a purely stats based vote.. Both of them had phenomenal years. I look at who is more valuable to their team. The Packers last game with Flynn showed that they have a system where another QB can step in and perform at a high rate. I can't imagine where the Saints would be without Brees (or the Giants without Manning). Is it a fair way to judge? perhaps not. But the award is called the MVP, not the player of the year. So, as far as most valuable to their team, I give it to Brees.. Also, hence the joke about Payton

GiantFan inNH

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and in no way am I making a judgement on who the better QB is.. Just for this season, I think Drew (and Eli) were more important pieces of the teams dynamic and success

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Just curious, we never saw Brees' backup have a week to come and prepare for a game. IMHO every QB (at least every successful one) is part of a "system" that makes him successful. Who is to say that Brees is not a "system QB" who benefits from a system that makes him successful. I know many fans on here criticized Brees for "padding his stats" (and I think his stats were "padded"), but the truth is, it was Payton calling the plays and choosing to keep him in. We really don't know that Flynn or someone else could not have done the same thing for NO. I personally like to think Flynn is and will be a great QB in his own right, so I don't see how that should detract from Rodgers' body of work.
Would a good showing by Brees' backup tip the scales back to Rodgers in your opinion?

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Brees, Eli, Rodgers, they each have a great "supporting cast" so I'm not sure it is fair to use Flynn's performance as the decisive factor. Thoughts?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't mind at all.. Mine is not a purely stats based vote.. Both of them had phenomenal years. I look at who is more valuable to their team. The Packers last game with Flynn showed that they have a system where another QB can step in and perform at a high rate. I can't imagine where the Saints would be without Brees (or the Giants without Manning). Is it a fair way to judge? perhaps not. But the award is called the MVP, not the player of the year. So, as far as most valuable to their team, I give it to Brees.. Also, hence the joke about Payton

so Rodgers calling the plays for Flyyn didnt help? Packer fans have known for a while Flynn is REALLLY good..

One game proves its the system tho? Ok...but if its okay with you, I will listen to the experts that say he at least co mvp, and lot say he is the mvp

GiantFan inNH

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen Brees's backup either... I know the giants, the few times Carr played, looked way off. Eli is definitely the main reason the giants are still alive. Supporting cast wise, I think in order I'd give it to the pack, the giants and then the saints.. So, if that were true, then Brees has done the most with less, although the differences are not all that much. I don't feel very strongly about it and really don't worry about awards too much. the only award I care about is the trophy named after your old coach.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
One game isnt enough to say it is the system..Why not use last years Pat game? Flynn didnt win that one..

So he is 1-1

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I give up.

I believe maybe this should be settled next weekend now. Rodgers vs. Brees for a trip to the big one. Perhaps the winner also will be heavily favored to take the whole thing.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things have been said about Brees gets more help from his receivers than Rodgers, yet people refuse to listen to it and claim Rodgers shouldnt win.

If that post was made on this forum and you had an issue with it, was it reported so a mod could fix it?

I don't think it violated the TOS, it was just wrong. Plus, I thought it was funny.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5, but I still thought he had a gutsy performance. Pretty proud of the way he hung in there and kept that game competitive to the end.

Members online

Latest posts