OFFICIAL RODGERS IS MVP THREAD

GVN2FLY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy Molly, Flyn is setting records -- this does not look for Rodgers.

Reaction score
No. Peyton was not rusty in 2009. He was rusty in 2005 but they rested in 2005 for TWO games since they clinched early.

It may hurt Rodgers MVP case though to see Flynn tear it up today and all.

However look on the plus side. If Rodgers loses MVP (and I still don't think he should) the last person to win MVP and then the SB I think was Kurt Warner in 1999.
Holy Molly, Flyn is setting records -- this does not look for Rodgers.
It won't hurt Rodgers when Flynn was making absolutely beautiful throws. It's not like Flynn and Rodgers were dining and dunking around.

Pacal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it was probly the best move although idk about having two weeks off... i hope hes not rusty come playoff time but this is exactly what happened to peyton in 09.. but yea this MURDERED his chances to win the MVP with the game brees had.. i just cant really see him winning with the season brees had.. he wins pretty much every major statistical category.. oh well we better just get the championship

Rodgers threw 45 TDs, 6 interceptions in 15 games.

Brees threw 46 TDs, 14 interceptions in 16 games.

Rodgers also set the record for best-ever passer rating.

Is Brees' accomplishments that much better than Rodgers?

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
It won't hurt Rodgers when Flynn was making absolutely beautiful throws. It's not like Flynn and Rodgers were dining and dunking around.

I don't think it should hurt Rodgers. Believe me. I saw Flynn do a good job in NE last year. And today. I saw Matt Cassel go 11-5 with Brady's team in 2008 and I don't think it undermines Brady either.

I think the Packers are lucky to have had a backup as good as Flynn. If the Colts did they might be in the playoffs with the weapons they still have on offense for a capable QB to take advantage of.

I just know how people can be. They will remember Brees ending the year hot.

In the end though it's about the SB and winning it. I still hope Rodgers wins MVP but if he doesn't then I won't be shocked anymore.

And look on the plus side. You just hurt the Lions. I bet they overlooked Flynn.

GVN2FLY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He said earlier that Rodgers is still his vote! He's just being a twitter knuckle head!

bhuggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you take the numbers and average them out by the games played and even further break it down to the fact that Rodgers was pulled very early in two games, then Rodgers' season is more impressive. I can't place too much stock on manufactured numbers like New Orleans has done for Brees. He has remained in the game during blowouts and still throwing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers broke record for passer rating which I think is more indicative to how a q/b is doing than yardage..Yardage can be a receiver catching a 3 yarder, then running it 97 yards for a TD...

Include rushing and AR had 48 total Bress 46

Ar had 100 less atts and still did as good if not better in over all picture..

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you take the numbers and average them out by the games played and even further break it down to the fact that Rodgers was pulled very early in two games, then Rodgers' season is more impressive. I can't place too much stock on manufactured numbers like New Orleans has done for Brees. He has remained in the game during blowouts and still throwing.

BINGO!!! That has been my biggest gripe about the whole Brees/Rodgers debate... If McCarthy decided to run up the scores on all of the games instead of running the clock out, or taking Rodgers out and putting Flynn in, etc... I am pretty sure Rodger's numbers would be right there with (if not surpass) Brees'.

So, if Rodgers for some reason doesn't get MVP due to his numbers... should we blame it on McCarthy because he showed too much class????

_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I would be alot more happier to know how the NFL defines a MVP Canidate.. By stats or by the importance to team.

If both its deffiently Rodgers, if stats brees. Importance Rodgers ( Saints have a good RB)

But again that brings the loophole of Manning being the MVP...

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I think I would be alot more happier to know how the NFL defines a MVP Canidate.. By stats or by the importance to team.

If both its deffiently Rodgers, if stats brees. Importance Rodgers ( Saints have a good RB)

But again that brings the loophole of Manning being the MVP...

Let's not go there. Peyton has 4 of them already and a few were debatable by many. I mean, you have to know as well as I do that if the Colts had a decent backup plan behind Manning all these years (and God knows why they didn't) this could be a team that could have potentially made the playoffs if 9-7 gets you in. The Colts were not blown out of plenty of games this year. The best team they played all year was the Saints and that was the real beatdown but they probably still lose it with Peyton. It's the Colts fault for building an offense AND defense around a QB.

I still think Rodgers should get it but at this point it's giving me a headache. If it's Brees it's Brees. Just don't do a CO-MVP thing. I hate those.

bhuggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also AR only had 2 games indoors?

Drew had at least 8

Brees played 11 games in domes plus the other five were all played in warm weather fields except for the one at Lambeau but the temperature that night was almost 80.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yet another MVP thread on Rodgers?

LOL what a surprise so guess what? I merged them all...

Has Brett ever sat out a full game when they didnt need to win? what about in his MVP years?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drew has been sacked over 20 times this year.

I think people just don't want to admit he deserves an MVP vote, and it's always some excuses to down the guy. So if he does win it this year, I'll be expecting more threads like this.

I laughed at this write up. Brees has average WRs with the exception of Graham and Sproles and you're saying Tebow has a better shot at MVP than Brees? Where's your respect?

If Brees does win it, he deserves it. Higher completion percentage, shot to break more records, and on top of that I have to hear people *****ing about how he don't deserve it. I watch the Saints every week and Brees is like a surgeon on the field. It's really funny to me the people that talk **** about him don't even watch the Saints, yet love to bring up the Rams game or the Tampa Bay one. Those Saints fans on here could easily constantly throw the Chiefs game up, or better yet the tons of games this year where our offense has been out gained because our defense is total crap.

Brees is really the underdog. He's 11-3, Pack is 13-1, and people talk like Brees is some lucky bastard in this league cause they don't want to accept he is really good, and possibly deserves an MVP. If he wins, he totally deserves it. he has played lights out this season.

Why do people worry about the MVP anyway? No one gave a **** about the pro bowl snubs last year. I didn't hear a word about people saying Rodgers was snubbed for Ryan last year in the Pro Bowl. You should be more worried about the Super Bowl rather than *****ing about how much you hate the Saints and Brees. Oh god Brees is going to win the MVP, we're done!
Shot to break more records?

Rodgers broke the record for passer rating in a season, for most 100+ rating games in a season, for most 110+ rating games in a season, for lowest INT %, lowest ints thrown for 400+ attempts, and most touchdowns throughout 15 games (48, counting 3 running TDs).

That's not to prove Rodgers had a better season. That is to prove how silly the "broke more records" argument is, because there are a lot of records out there for pratically anything.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree jules that if rodgers has to lose the MVP so that he can get to the SB, than SO BE IT.

MVP meanings NOTHING if u don't win the SB IMO (or atleast make it that far).

Imagine rodgers losing the MVP to brees... than playing the saints in the NFCG and lighting them up.

He sure would prove who the real mvp is..
The real MVP is the SB MVP. That much I agree.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Shot to break more records?

Rodgers broke the record for passer rating in a season, for most 100+ rating games in a season, for most 110+ rating games in a season, for lowest INT %, lowest ints thrown for 400+ attempts, and most touchdowns throughout 15 games (48, counting 3 running TDs).

I posted that too..

As previously stated, yardage sometimes is more on the receiver than the q/b..I.E Ryan Grants td reception yesterday...Flynn threw it 5 yards but got credit for 80 yards..

Even tho passer rating uses yardage, it isnt the only criteria..

So for me a passer rating would weigh more heavily than just yardage for entire season...

Drew does deserve votes, and he will get them and maybe win the MVP, but I dont think he should.

Dont forget in their 3 losses, Drew had 5 Td and 5 int..Two of the losses were 2 td and 5 int

Rodgers had only 6 int all season

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Peter King is polling for the MVP, give him your opinion please.

https://twitter.com/#!/SI_PeterKing

He picked Rodgers.. even though Brees crushed Rodgers in his poll thingy.

I'll copy n paste what he said.

Brees made it a horse race, and more than that. In the end, early this morning, I struggled with what to do with my vote, one of 50 for the annual Associated Press NFL awards and All-Pro team. I could go Brees, or I could go Rodgers, or I could, as I've done before, split my vote half and half. I thought a lot about doing that, and I can see why some voters might do that. Unlike baseball, the football MVP is done by voting for first place. Not first, second and third, or more than that. Just one vote. So that was a consideration in a very tight race.
Brees has had, arguably, the greatest statistical offensive season a quarterback has ever had, with the most passing yards, the best accuracy, and the fourth-most touchdowns in a season (46). Rodgers set the NFL mark for passer rating, became the first passer to have 12 straight games with a rating over 105, led the Packers to the best record in the league, and had the best passing season the Packers have ever seen -- which is saying something, considering their Hall of Fame heritage (Arnie Herber, Bart Starr and soon Brett Favre).
Sometime after 5 this morning, I finalized my call. I decided not to split the vote, because I thought it would be a cop out. I felt I had to make a decision. And I picked Rodgers. Four reasons:
1. I thought Rodgers was better for the full season. Rodgers was 14-1, Brees 13-3. So much can go into wins and losses, and each man did more than any on his team to lead to those wins. But in the two midseason losses that ultimately cost the Saints the second seed in the playoffs, Brees was less than perfect, and it hurt his team. In a six-point loss to Tampa Bay in Week 6, Brees threw one interception late in the first half that Josh Freeman turned into a touchdown three plays later. Late in the fourth quarter, down six, Brees threw an interception in the end zone. Two weeks later, New Orleans went to St. Louis and lost by 10 to A.J. Feeley and the Rams. Brees threw one interception that was returned for a touchdown, and the other was turned into a touchdown pass by Feeley. In Rodgers' first 12 weeks of the season, he ground up every opponent with remarkable efficiency, throwing 37 touchdowns with just five interceptions ... almost the same way Brees played at the end of the season. In the last eight games, Brees was as brilliant as Rodgers was for the first 12. The Saints were 8-0, and he threw 27 touchdowns with four interceptions, and was a paragon of accuracy. But those two losses to, as it turned out, 4-12 and 2-14 teams, with Brees mistakes a factor, weighed on my decision. In the end, it was like watching two almost perfect skaters, and one lands the quad and one has a perfect program except for double-footing the landing on one jump.
2. Brees had five multiple-interception games, Rodgers none. Not decisive, but a factor. I also thought the TD-to-interception differential (plus-39 for Rodgers, plus-32 for Brees) and the yards per attempt (9.25 to 8.33, in Rodgers' favor) was a factor.
3. I wanted to respect statistics but not be overwhelmed by them. I have tremendous respect for Brees the team player, and I couldn't care less that he was throwing the ball up 22 with three minutes to play against Atlanta. All he's doing is executing the plays that are called. But I don't want numbers, some of which are exacerbated in blowouts like the 62-7 rout of the Colts (Brees) and 45-7 rout of the Vikings (Rodgers), to affect the vote unduly, particularly since Brees threw 155 more passes than Rodgers.
4. Rodgers won the head-to-head matchup. Again, not overwhelming. But a brick in the wall.
As for the Flynn performance, I think it could be evidence that it's the system and the supporting cast as much as the player that makes the quarterback in Green Bay. But how much stock do you put in one game? Is it anecdotal or absolutely proof? I think it's more of the former, but I just don't think we have enough proof. How do we know that if Chase Daniel, Brees' backup, started against the Panthers Sunday with all that talent around him in the passing game, and with a superb play-caller in Sean Payton who knows what Daniel does well and what he doesn't, that he wouldn't have thrown for 330 and four touchdowns? We don't.
One of the things that bothers me about not voting for Brees is that I think, overall, he's been the best quarterback in football over the last six years, with a phenomenal record of achievement. And he hasn't won an MVP. I sincerely hope he does before he retires, and if he wins it this year, I won't be bothered at all, because Brees has been a great difference-maker this year. I just think Rodgers has been a little better for the full season.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
After posting this:
4 teams that won't survive without their quarterback

A. Colts (We already seen this 2-13, without Manning)

B. Saints (Realistically, they too have some defensive issues that are out of control in times)

C. Packers (31st ranked defense, without Rodgers, we'd be 3-13 at best)

D. Patriots (32nd ranked defense tells the tale.)
And this:
I don't think we would be this far without Rodgers (14-1). If we lost him for a season, we'd probably have the same record Indy has without Peyton…
I am wondering if Bogart would like to “revise and extend” these remarks. After watching Flynn’s performance against the Lions, his play last year at New England can’t be categorized as a fluke. I don’t think the Packers are 15-1 without Rodgers but there is now tangible evidence leading one to conclude they wouldn’t be “3-13 at best”.

Here’s a positive if Rodgers doesn’t win the MVP: It just may fuel his motivation to play even better! Rodgers winning back-to-back Super Bowl MVPs is infinitely more important than him winning “just” the MVP.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brees lost to TWO horseschit teams, which cost them the #2 seed.
Brees at Tampa Bay: 29/45 for 383 yards, 1 TD, 3 Ints
Brees at St Louis: 30/44 for 269 yards, 1 TD, 2 Ints

And he threw the ball about 150 more times. Yet he only had ONE more TD pass.
Brees should be proud of his season, and expect to be the runner-up.

Interesting sidenote: Matt Stafford's stats are better than every other MVP-winning QB outside of the record-breaking seasons of Brady & Manning. And he's not even an alternate on the NFC Pro Bowl team?

Reaction score
Brees is going to get exposed when he has to play on an actual field.

I have a bad feeling Rodgers will get screwed out of the MVP.

Members online

Latest posts