OFFICIAL RODGERS IS MVP THREAD

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Notice the states right around WI (Minny, Illinois), barely give it to Rodgers, while those around Brees give it to Brees much more.

We have a lot of Viking and Bears jealousy skewing these votes! Bast@rds![/quote]

12theTruth

Notice the states right around WI (Minny, Illinois), barely give it to Rodgers, while those around Brees give it to Brees much more.

We have a lot of Viking and Bears jealousy skewing these votes! Bast@rds!
[/quote]

Was bored last night and thought something was fishy with the poll. So I refreshed about every few minutes for about 2 hours and the overall vote total would increase and the state percentages would ever so slightly change but the difference between Brees and Rodgers stood at 46-45 the entire time. Hmmm.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL at the idea of Brees getting the MVP. Race is over. Its been over for over a month. Just mail the damn thing to GB and lets move on.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
After watching the Colts go down the drain without Manning, one has to wonder how we would look without our quarterback, and the 31st ranked defense?

Maybe people are right about how Manning should be the MVP this season, cause just look at how bad the Colts are without him. Pittsburgh has managed a positive record without Big Ben 5-4, and the Patriots made the playoffs without Brady one year, but those teams were different...NE still had a defense, and Pittsburgh has remained in the top of defenses for a while.

I don't think we would be this far without Rodgers (14-1). If we lost him for a season, we'd probably have the same record Indy has without Peyton, which proves the decline of their defense over the years since Dungy has left.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I think the Colts could have competed this year with a capable backup QB. Don't laugh. I mean the early games vs. the Browns/Bucs/Steelers/Chiefs etc. were all winnable with decent QB play.Heck the Pats game was winnable too.

The D is sorta getting better in Indy thanks to Larry Coyer being fired. The man was horrible.

I think the Lions win the division if Rodgers is not here. I also think Rodgers overcomes a lot of the Packers o line issues.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
With this defense and offensive line. I don't think we win more than 5 games. Our offense is completely QB driven. And Rodgers' athleticism is a big factor in avoiding pressure and extending the play

At least in Indy they have a solid defense and a run game. I think if Orlovsky had been named the starter from the beginning they'd have done okay.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
With this defense and offensive line. I don't think we win more than 5 games. Our offense is completely QB driven. And Rodgers' athleticism is a big factor in avoiding pressure and extending the play

At least in Indy they have a solid defense and a run game. I think if Orlovsky had been named the starter from the beginning they'd have done okay.

:eek:

Lets not get carried away here. There have been a few small improvements lately on D and with the run game but teams don't seem to care as much this year if we run since the pass never scared them.

And beating the Titans/Texans was not that amazing to me. I mean the Titans don't run the ball very well so we could work on just the pass. And the Texans never won in Indy before and Yates looked spooked. I am not sure we beat Houston with Schaub and Andre out there.

I personally think both the Pats and Packers are sunk this year without Rodgers/Brady though.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The MVP has been a popularity contest these past few years. Whoever the media backs up. Eh. I still say they will do a Co-MVP thing.

God I hope not. I don't like Co-MVP's. Just give it to one and be done with it.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
:eek:

Lets not get carried away here. There have been a few small improvements lately on D and with the run game but teams don't seem to care as much this year if we run since the pass never scared them.

And beating the Titans/Texans was not that amazing to me. I mean the Titans don't run the ball very well so we could work on just the pass. And the Texans never won in Indy before and Yates looked spooked. I am not sure we beat Houston with Schaub and Andre out there.

I personally think both the Pats and Packers are sunk this year without Rodgers/Brady though.

4 teams that won't survive without their quarterback

A. Colts (We already seen this 2-13, without Manning)
B. Saints (Realistically, they too have some defensive issues that are out of control in times)
C. Packers (31st ranked defense, without Rodgers, we'd be 3-13 at best)
D. Patriots (32nd ranked defense tells the tale.)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a look at each snap Matt Flynn has played, including pre-season, and that might answer your question.
We also may have a better idea on Sunday against the Lions.

Why wonder what it's like without Rodgers when we have him? :confused:

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Take a look at each snap Matt Flynn has played, including pre-season, and that might answer your question.
We also may have a better idea on Sunday against the Lions.

Why wonder what it's like without Rodgers when we have him? :confused:

To remind myself how much I appreciate and need to keep appreciating him being here.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think we would be this far without Rodgers (14-1). If we lost him for a season, we'd probably have the same record Indy has without Peyton...
I disagree. Of course Rodgers is more physically gifted than Flynn and of course he knows the offense better too – particularly when the ‘bullets of live action’ are flying. Rodgers is about to set the all-time record for QB rating in an NFL season – even though that stat is flawed, that’s saying something. I think it is well accepted even in the national media that Rodgers is having a season for the ages and that too is saying something.

The Packers’ offense is one of the most QB-dependent offenses in the NFL, so it would be foolish to believe Flynn would step in and they wouldn’t lose a step. But IMO the overall leader in QB-dependent offenses is the Colts. As far as we know, on nearly every play Rodgers has the option of changing it from run to pass or visa versa. I believe he also has the option of a quick throw to a WR on nearly every play if the DB is off the LOS. But I believe Peyton had even more freedom regarding play-calling. IMO the state of the current Colts team is an indictment of their organization for being so completely dependent upon one player and so utterly ill-prepared for the absence of that player. However, IMO that charge cannot be fairly leveled at the Packers.

We have one piece of evidence to examine in this discussion. Matt Flynn took all the snaps with the starters in preparation of one game last season; the week 15 game at New England. We all remember the Packers lost that game, 31-27 and the most memorable (bad) play of that game was a Patriot KOR of 70 some yards by an OL. Who knows how that game would have turned out if the Packers could have tackled a lumbering 300 pounder after a few yards? Packers fans should also remember Flynn did well, going 24/37 for 251 yards with 3 TDs and 1 INT. We’ve since read from several sources that that game, with Aaron Rodgers on the sideline, gave the Packers the confidence to know they could play with anyone and I will argue Flynn was a big reason for that confidence. The next week was the start of their incredible playoff run. So while we can’t know for certain how this season would have played out with Flynn as the starting QB, there’s concrete evidence the Packers would not have fallen into the same fate the Colts have this season. A parallel to the Flynn game at New England for me was Rodgers’ play at Dallas in 2007, although Aaron didn’t have all the snaps with the ones in preparation for that game.

The Packers will probably lose Flynn in the upcoming offseason and they may also lose their unheralded QB coach, Tom Clements, too. But McCarthy’s reputation for developing QBs is well deserved IMO and no matter what happens with Clements and Flynn, I’ll bet the Packers will be more prepared for the absence of their franchise QB again next season than the Colts – and the Bears - were this season.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Colts threw their season on purpose, so it's impossible to gauge how much losing Manning hurt them. I certainly didn't hurt them enough to not win their first 13 games. They could easily have 3 or 4 more wins than they do right now. Funny that they didn't win a single game until they had the #1 draft pick locked up and then they switch QBs and win 2 straight. That's not a coincidence.

Curtis Painter doesn't even belong on an NFL team, never mind actually STARTING for one. If the Colts had been trying to win this year then Dan Orlovsky would have been starting a long time ago.

GVN2FLY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colts threw their season on purpose, so it's impossible to gauge how much losing Manning hurt them. I certainly didn't hurt them enough to not win their first 13 games. They could easily have 3 or 4 more wins than they do right now. Funny that they didn't win a single game until they had the #1 draft pick locked up and then they switch QBs and win 2 straight. That's not a coincidence.

Curtis Painter doesn't even belong on an NFL team, never mind actually STARTING for one. If the Colts had been trying to win this year then Dan Orlovsky would have been starting a long time ago.

Colts do not have the #1 draft pick locked up. They are competing with Rams - both teams sit at 2-13. Vikings are 3-12 - so if both Colts and Rams (ha) win and Vikings lose they all sit at 3-13 tied then they look at stats. But I doubt The Rams will win -- if Colts win -- RAMS take it! Colts have said they are playing to win. So who knows, if the Colts threw their season on purpose they will be sitting at 0-15 right now and would have the #1 DP locked but they don't.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Colts do not have the #1 draft pick locked up. They are competing with Rams - both teams sit at 2-13. Vikings are 3-12 - so if both Colts and Rams (ha) win and Vikings lose they all sit at 3-13 tied then they look at stats. But I doubt The Rams will win -- if Colts win -- RAMS take it! Colts have said they are playing to win. So who knows, if the Colts threw their season on purpose they will be sitting at 0-15 right now and would have the #1 DP locked but they don't.

Okay, I guess that's what happens when you listen to the talking heads and don't fact check them. Regardless, how much you wanna bet the Colts lose in grand fashion this week, despite playing the lowly Jaguars? I bet their receivers will have a bad case of the dropsies and you'll see a lot of stupid coaching decisions, like running on 3rd and 15 or going for it on 4th and 8.

vancouverpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the Colts go down the drain without Manning, one has to wonder how we would look without our quarterback, and the 31st ranked defense?

Maybe people are right about how Manning should be the MVP this season, cause just look at how bad the Colts are without him. Pittsburgh has managed a positive record without Big Ben 5-4, and the Patriots made the playoffs without Brady one year, but those teams were different...NE still had a defense, and Pittsburgh has remained in the top of defenses for a while.

I don't think we would be this far without Rodgers (14-1). If we lost him for a season, we'd probably have the same record Indy has without Peyton, which proves the decline of their defense over the years since Dungy has left.
No doubt Rodgers is the main reason the Pack is so successful... but don't count out Flynn. He is more than capable of taking over in the event something happens. He may not be a Rodger's but I would feel comfortable with him in. That is a huge key to a team... depth at QB. Indy is a prime example, mind you they built the offense around his talents. Very difficult for the new guy to come in and run things.
Flynn could be a starter for a number of teams around the league if given the chance.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's worth mentioning that Rodgers also would have broken the record if he didn't sit out nearly half a game with a comfortable lead over both opponents, and Brady too is going to break Marino's record. Not sure how you give it to a guy based on breaking a record that others will break as well.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
They're gonna give it to Brees, trust me on this. Everyone is joining the bandwagon after this week. If Brees throws for 300 yards next week and Aaron sits the second half, Brees will get it.

Kurt Warner said that Rodgers is having a better season than Brees and yet he ranks Brees #1 and Rodgers #2 on his list of top QBs for the year. See what I mean?

Unless Rodgers and the Packers BEAT Brees and the Saints......AGAIN!

Reaction score
Just announced Rodgers is not playing. i thought they would play him for a quarter. may end his MVP hunt if breez has a big game.

whats your opinion on this

Go Pack Go

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My opinion is it would be nice to see Arod get the MVP

But even better, we will see a healthy Rodgers in the divisional rounds and we know there is no risk of injuring him today.
Especially after the last meeting with the Lions, can't help but feel they would have loved to try and really hit Rodgers.

mor4les

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that Aaron led his team to a 14-1 before the last week in regular season and he can rest have to mean something to the MVP talks, he is already done his job in the regular season. Bress needs to play if they want the number 2 seed

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers gets shut down by coaches and loses MVP? Come on. This is a good call by the coaches. Secondary to Rodgers being healthy for the playoff run is MVP. I do not think Rodgers being sat the final game of the season, with records broken, home field clinched and a first round bye, will take away Rodgers MVP chances.

vancouverpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sitting Rodger's is a good move. Rest him, keep him out of harms way, let him run the game from the sidelines.
Remember it's all about the Prize... all about putting yourself in the best position to win it all!!
The Saints are trying to buy the MVP by leaving him in and getting Garbage Yardage to break Marino's record.
Rodger's record speaks for itself... Td passes to Interceptions. If he doesn't get it there is something funny going on with the voters!

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it was probly the best move although idk about having two weeks off... i hope hes not rusty come playoff time but this is exactly what happened to peyton in 09.. but yea this MURDERED his chances to win the MVP with the game brees had.. i just cant really see him winning with the season brees had.. he wins pretty much every major statistical category.. oh well we better just get the championship

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
it was probly the best move although idk about having two weeks off... i hope hes not rusty come playoff time but this is exactly what happened to peyton in 09.. but yea this MURDERED his chances to win the MVP with the game brees had.. i just cant really see him winning with the season brees had.. he wins pretty much every major statistical category.. oh well we better just get the championship

No. Peyton was not rusty in 2009. He was rusty in 2005 but they rested in 2005 for TWO games since they clinched early.

It may hurt Rodgers MVP case though to see Flynn tear it up today and all.

However look on the plus side. If Rodgers loses MVP (and I still don't think he should) the last person to win MVP and then the SB I think was Kurt Warner in 1999.

Members online

Latest posts