Official RB Johnathan Franklin thread

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for making the thread :) I will update my post with everything about this fantastic RB.
He can do it all and is a durable back.
My pre draft analysis
Strengths – Can catch, runs well, occasionally breaks off a big run, good speed, blocking is above average, fights for extra yards, durable, finds the hole and explodes, somewhat elusive, all around back
Weaknesses – 865 career touches so far, lacks power to push people or break tackles, kind of small

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like him..hey it could mean no more james Starks! Also could mean that now alex green could slide down the depth chart.

M

mayo44

Wow. Didn't expect this one, but I like it! These were two of my top 3 backs. Looks like we're about to get very serious about running the ball and extending our QB's career :)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure I like this pick unless he's our new Kick returner. I do not like the thought of two rookie running backs. Maybe they are already shopping Lacy to KC, San Diego or the Jets for a 1st round pick in 14. Now that would be sweet!

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure I like this pick unless he's our new Kick returner. I do not like the thought of two rookie running backs. Maybe they are already shopping Lacy to KC, San Diego or the Jets for a 1st round pick in 14. Now that would be sweet!

KC has Jamaal Charles already and the Jets traded for Chris Ivory

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Lacy is the Thunder and Franklin is the Lightning. Watch tape of both (not just highlights). I trust them over anyone else we have.

H

HardRightEdge

I like this pick. I did not expect the team to put Green on the bubble, but I endorse it.

M

mayo44

No, it wouldn't be sweet. We need a bruiser and we have one now.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget DuJuan. He's a true wild-card now and will round out the new three-headed backfield. I was just as surprised as everyone else when we traded up to get Franklin. But, upon more careful analysis, I am thrilled by this selection because we all of a sudden have a running game that will have a significant trickle-down effect on the rest of the offense. I explain this more here: http://wp.me/p29VCs-i2

As some have already said: bring on the 9ers on Sept. 8!!!

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If these guys show up and produce then all the sudden those 3rd and 1 or 2 plays get converted, they have to bring up another guy into the box which opens up the pass game, the play action will be even more effective. I love it.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I also like that Franklin can act as insurance if Lacy's hammy becomes a reoccurring issue
I wasn't high on getting a RB early but holy smokes this is good stuff. I was thinking the same thing, even if Lacy or any other back has an injury you still have some serious threats. I'm all in on Franklin/Harris if Lacy is out for a bit or Franklin/Starks.
I know everyone things Starks is a goner but I'm not so sure if and I do mean IF he stays healthy this year. I think he's better than ole' Alex. But that's just my opinion.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Hub Arkush was hosting a Bears draft call-in show yesterday and after this pick he said the Packers had selected the top two RBs on his draft board. IMO this pick is another indication that the Packers' offense will be changing this season.

As for what this pick, the acquisition of Lacy and the UDFA RB mean for those already on the roster: My guess is Starks better not sit out a practice with even a headache. Green has to be 100% and show some explosiveness and Harris better continue performing as he did last season.

At least one pretty good RB will likely be waived and that's a good thing.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There will be a lot of competition for starting RB

May the best man win

May the best man win is right. It is exciting. We have often had a bit of summer competition for the RB spot. Not until now have we had guys will real talent that will actually push each other to be better.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
If these two guys are able to be major contributors this season then our defense just got better. No more fast scores or 3 and outs. We are able to sustain long clock eating drives that will give our D a little more time on the bench. That will show up at the end of the game. Also, say so long to cover two, Jones, Jordy and Cobb are full speed ahead.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More than one draft analyst I've read has opined that these two backs (Lacy & Franklin) were their top two backs by far, and had them rated to go as early as late first and as late as early third.

I don't know how we intend to use these guys, but I think what we have on hand now is a rather versatile personnel group at the skill positions. Obviously our top 3 WRs are no secret- it remains to be seen what we have beyond them at that position, especially since it's no given that you go the entire season without one or more missing time sue to injury.

At TE, we have Finley for one more year, and Williams and Quarless at TE. Williams or Quarless don't have the sheer athleticism that Finley does, but they can both catch.

We still have Kuhn at FB (although I wonder if we won't see the Packers pull a Najeh Davenport with him at play him at FB to give us extra flexibility in a two back set).

And now we have some pretty intriguing talent at the RB position.

I think one thing MM has shown with our offense is the ability to adjust. When Finley was rolling, we rode him. When he wasn't, our WR's became the focus.

Now that we have a nice mix at all three positions, I wonder if we won't see the ball spread more evenly across the skill positions like we did in the halcyon days of Brett, where he'd hit 9-10 different guys a game and roll up big yards and control the clock.

Interesting to see how it plays out. I think Starks should start packing though. He's a low price tag cut, and he hasn't shown anything since the SB run, and he can't get healthy. If one of these new guys shows us that they can perform at par with Starks, he's gonzo...

Members online

Latest posts