Official Packers vs Texans thread

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I disagree this is a must win. If the Packers lose of course it puts more pressure on them but they could still get to the bye week at 5-4. If they lose they’ll have to go on a run to make the playoffs but that’s true whether they win or lose Sunday. And to accomplish that, the passing game has to get and then stay in sync like last season. If that happens Sunday night, the Packers have a decent chance of winning. If that doesn’t happen Sunday, it better happen for the next game.
We have to and i repeat have to contain the run first that's most critical imo, If we can't stop the run it makes our pass rush even more null. I would like to see Perry used more as a DE and see Neal more as well and plug Pickett in only part time because he's done nothing to this point as a run stuffer so we mise well use speed over gurth.
I disagree about Pickett. He came into the season nursing a calf injury but played very tough against the Seahawks and the Saints before he hurt his shoulder. McGinn says Pickett was the first DL off the ball when they denied Luck’s sneak on 4th and one. IMO the best way for the Packers to slow down Houston’s ground game is for both Raji and Pickett to be as healthy as possible and to play a lot. Also IMO to stop the run, Perry should play a lot at OLB with a healthy Raji in the middle in the base and a healthy Pickett and Neal at DEs. I’m not sure Neal has replaced Wilson at DE and either way, both are likely to get a lot of snaps. Perry with a run stopper in front of him in the base at DE is a better idea than Perry at DE IMO. If Raji can’t play – or can’t play much – Pickett will get a lot of snaps at NT. If House’s shoulder isn’t strong enough for him to be physical he could repeat T. Williams’ performance from last season and IMO they have better options to double Johnson.

The Packers will miss Benson. I think Green is getting the start and while he probably can’t avoid a negative play as well as Benson, he has better breakaway speed from scrimmage and as a check down – or planned – receiver out of the backfield.

I’d like to see McCarthy depend on YAC more and shorten up the “target zone”. It’s great hitting those max protection, two receivers deep plays (usually to Nelson) but until Rodgers and the offense get in sync, I’d rather see check downs to RBs, Cobb in motion for slashing type routes and the WRs and TEs run routes in the 10-15 yard area.

Against a good team like the Texans on the road, the Packers really need to return to protecting the ball and taking it away. I don't know how many potential INTs they've dropped in 5 games but I know its way too many and my impression is its significantly more than last season.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We Texans fans are nervous for this one...
5-0.
You're kidding. Right?

Well, if your nervous then we must be doing something right!
I guess just being the Packers is enough.
You wouldn't be nervous if we were the Browns, would ya?

kiwitexansfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5-0.
You're kidding. Right?

Well, if your nervous then we must be doing something right!
I guess just being the Packers is enough.
You wouldn't be nervous if we were the Browns, would ya?

You are obviously spoilt by success.

When you have lost as long and as creatively as our team has, every game is a cause for concern.

5-0 is something but no one really expects to go 16-0, and your team is hardly bereft of talent.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are obviously spoilt by success.

When you have lost as long and as creatively as our team has, every game is a cause for concern.

5-0 is something but no one really expects to go 16-0, and your team is hardly bereft of talent.

After watching last week's 2nd half collapse to the Colts, we're not exactly brimming with confidence about our team. We'd like to think our team has got some talent. Maybe one of these games they'll put it to good use.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching last week's 2nd half collapse to the Colts, we're not exactly brimming with confidence about our team. We'd like to think our team has got some talent. Maybe one of these games they'll put it to good use.
^ This.

With our luck, (Our meaning Packers/Texans fans) this game will end in a tie.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Your bumming me out with all the negative vibes people. On any given Sunday....., This may be the game we remember as the turning point. We may be beat up be we are still one of the most talented teams in the NFL and if our O gets on fire we can win a shootout.

Have some faith people.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really thought we'd bring back Daniel Muir because we need some beef in there with Pickett.
Raji is hurt, and Pickett tends to get nicked up a lot. We used to have a 3rd Big Beef in Howard Green. The guy who caused Roethlisberger to throw the Pick 6 to Collins.
Muir was a shocking cut for us, and when Raji went out, I thought he'd be receiving an immediate phone call.

kiwitexansfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We may be beat up be we are still one of the most talented teams in the NFL and if our O gets on fire we can win a shootout.

This is precisely what I am concerned about, a shootout. It is one thing the Texans have not shown so far this year. An ability to outscore a team that is scoring on our D.

We tend to be pretty conservative and look to dominate the clock and field position rather than spin the scoreboard. Not sure if we can.

H

HardRightEdge

Is this a must win?

The 2004 Packers started 1-4, finished 10-6, and made the playoffs; about a half dozen 2-4 teams have made the playoffs since 2000. However, the odds are not good to start with and the injuries are mounting.

The NFC is +9 against the AFC so far, which makes the wildcard look like a minimum 10-6 with a tie breaker.

With a loss against HOU, our most credible scenario for making the playoffs is to win the division at 10-6 by dominating division games.

As far as this game is concerned, the key is to get some sustained drives going and keep the D off the field. IND ran 89 offensive plays with 35 min. TOP: gassed = defensive collapse. This is a tough assignment...HOU has a stout D, leads the league in TOP with a killer 35:28 per game average, and we don't have much of a running game going.

This might not be a must win, but it was marked "pivotal game" on the schedule from the get go. A win here would be a catalyst for a run into the weaker end of the schedule that includes 5 divisions games. A loss is just more wallowing.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've only played one division game. We can make up games really quick if we start winning most of those.

I think we're capable of beating everyone in our division also. The only team I was really worried about was the Bears coming into this year and we really handled them, we just have to take care of business on the road. I mean, let's be honest, we're better than the Vikings and Lions. Guys just have to get their acts together and start "Ballin"

Including you, J-Mike "Slippery-Finger Pointer" Finley.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really thought we'd bring back Daniel Muir because we need some beef in there with Pickett.
Raji is hurt, and Pickett tends to get nicked up a lot. We used to have a 3rd Big Beef in Howard Green. The guy who caused Roethlisberger to throw the Pick 6 to Collins.
Muir was a shocking cut for us, and when Raji went out, I thought he'd be receiving an immediate phone call.
Well what the Packers were looking for in Muir was a run-stuffer. For some reason what he showed us in the preseason was pass-rush. MM and TT thought they had the pass rush figured out for this year, so that wasn't a need. The 200 or 300 yards Muir gave up against the Chiefs on the ground probably didn't help either..

Green. Yeah, he really played well for us in our Super Bowl run, and the game. But boy, was he old and bad last year. Just terrible.

If I'm not mistaken Muir is now a backup for the Jets. I don't think he's played yet.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've only played one division game. We can make up games really quick if we start winning most of those.

I think we're capable of beating everyone in our division also..
That's a good point. But here's a different good point.
Last year (or the year before, I can't remember), the Raiders went 6-0 vs their division. And still lost it, didn't make the playoffs.

H

HardRightEdge

That's a good point. But here's a different good point.
Last year (or the year before, I can't remember), the Raiders went 6-0 vs their division. And still lost it, didn't make the playoffs.

The 2010 Raiders were the only team in the history of division play to go undefeated in their division and miss the playoffs. I would not bet on it happening again. Then again, the Pack sweeping the division is a long shot to begin with.

12theTruth

The only thing that works to the Packers favor IMO is the fact that Matt Schaub isn't much of a mobile QB. This should take a bit of pressure off of the D and allow Capers and Co. to focus on taking turns doubling Johnson or Daniels while at the same time being able to use formations which better contain the run.

The Packers will have to gameplan against Watt and honestly the offensive line isn't good enough to hold up against all the pressure that Watt and friends will supply.

The Packers will probably have to play a near perfect game to even stay within one score.

H

HardRightEdge

The only thing that works to the Packers favor IMO is the fact that Matt Schaub isn't much of a mobile QB. This should take a bit of pressure off of the D and allow Capers and Co. to focus on taking turns doubling Johnson or Daniels while at the same time being able to use formations which better contain the run.

The Packers will have to gameplan against Watt and honestly the offensive line isn't good enough to hold up against all the pressure that Watt and friends will supply.

The Packers will probably have to play a near perfect game to even stay within one score.

Schaub's been sacked only 3 times in 5 games.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this game will be very telling.
I'm not quite ready to count them out.
At the same time I'm not ready to count on them.
This may not be our year.
I won't have any expectations one way or the other.
That way I won't feel too let down if the worst happens.
I'll be a fan. Cheer them on. But gotta keep the feelings real and in check.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is precisely what I am concerned about, a shootout. It is one thing the Texans have not shown so far this year. An ability to outscore a team that is scoring on our D.

We tend to be pretty conservative and look to dominate the clock and field position rather than spin the scoreboard. Not sure if we can.
Its a sad state of affairs in Packer nation when a visiting poster for the other team is more optimistic than the general consensus.

Good luck to you Texans (not so much this week) but the rest of the season. Good to see a team that hasn't had any 'glory years' yet, come around.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm the eternal optimist. Packers finally play with enthusiasm and urgency. Backs against the wall, they come out and play to their potential. Close. Packers 23 Texans 20.

Reaction score
1st quarter notes: Masthay is amazing! Defense is looking better than good! Good to see us complete a 3rd down for once!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts