Official Packers vs Texans thread

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Well ladies and gents, it's wednesday, and only a few more days until we take on Houston.

As much as I want the packers to win, I have my doubts about this game. Houston has a tough defense and a potent offense with a good balance of run and pass. With our injuries we will need back up players to step up and take on a challenge.

We need to find a way to stop JJ Watt from killing Arod. Our O-Line has a knack for letting even the most unknown pass rushers look like Lawrence Taylor.....now we have JJ Watt to contend with.

A scheme change to offset their pass rush is needed. I have seen Watt beat double teams this year, that guy is a beast. Double cover Johnson ( if possible ) and try to contain the rushing attack of Foster. Both are gunna be tough jobs. I don't know how we shut down Brandon Marshall so easily early in the year, and then we let Reggie Wayne have a career day of 200+ rec yards. It has been proven, we can shut down a #1 WR with a big name, we just need to execute.

I see this game as a pivot point. We win, we put a gust of wind back in our sails and shut up the critics. We lose, we spiral out of control. We MUST win.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have any faith that the o-line is going to be able to block Watt 1 on 1. He is the new version of Aaron Kampman (remember him?) we will need to keep a back in or a tightend to chip him at the line. It's sad to say but i have no faith in either tackle it's just the way it is. As far as Rodgers goes he and the wr's have to win the game point blank. MM has to call plays that get the ball out quick and allow Cobb more touches because i don't forsee us runing on them for many yards. I pray Jennings can play because Jordy Nelson completely dissapears at times and we could use the extra threat of Jennings.

As far as defense goes i think we need to take the approach we had with Marshall on Johnson. At least keep him from pulling a Reggie Wayne on us . We have to and i repeat have to contain the run first that's most critical imo, If we can't stop the run it makes our pass rush even more null. I would like to see Perry used more as a DE and see Neal more as well and plug Pickett in only part time because he's done nothing to this point as a run stuffer so we mise well use speed over gurth.

MM needs to draw up about 8 types of screen plays and plays designed to get rodgers out of the pocket. If we can show up on defense i like our chnaces because i do think we have the edge as far as skill position. I do expect rodgers to get sacked at least 5 times...hopefully not all in one half .

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best way to stop J.J. Watt and the rest of the pass rush is a run game, and a lot of screen passes. I do like the idea of getting Randall Cobb more touches, as he is a real threat in the open field! He can be our life saver for this game.

Also, my Packers app on my phone showed me that Devon House has had full practice 3 times in a row, does he play vs. Houston? Maybe stick House on Johnson with Woodson spying on him? Clay Matthews' speed might have to more utilized to get to the runner, rather than get to the passer. If my memory is correct, I believe Arian Foster ran for 152 yards vs. the Jets. I shudder to think what he will do to OUR defense.

These are just some quick thoughts before I head off to work. Hell, I haven't even had my coffee yet.

OP
OP
Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
This is true about house, but do you think that he will be 100% and ready to take on a top of the league WR? If they run up the middle we are screwed due to having no beef on the D- line, and the outside running that Indy did with a slack *** Donald brown, made him look like a top tier RB when in fact he is just average at best. Plain and simple....WE CAN'T STOP THE RUN....right now. If our DB's didn't drop potential INT's, we would have had 4 in the Indy game. I think our DB's have been hanging out with Finley...lol...j/k for all you Finley nut swingers.

We just need to dig down deep and play as a team and pull off the biggest upset of the season. Talk about a confidence booster.

Reaction score
With a win this Sunday, we can get a hold of our identity again and help us boost forwards deep into the playoffs. We NEED to win this game.

Pack_Attack_Is_Back

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm racking my brain trying to think how the pack can stop the run, but Foster is a beast and runs on the most stout of defenses as it is. How is a D in a slump like the packers going to stop him, and then still focus enough energy on keeping Johnson a non-factor?

I love the packers but I'm nearly certain we're in for a lot of pain in this game.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Sorry to say I think we are going to get crucified......IMHO

FRNTHVY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they will have to revert back to last year, take the ball away and score points as I do not think they are fundamental or stout enough to control either line of scrimmage. If the D actually takes advantage of potential turnovers, although it is not like Matt Schaub or Foster give too many opportunities for takeaways, the offense actually clicks and scores points, and we get help from Cobb on special teams we may have a shot.

Sad to say, I do not see any of the happening and think they are going to get pounded.

OP
OP
Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ I highly doubt it will be a "pounding". Our loses have not been blow outs at all. The texans just beat the jets by 10 points......c'mon, the jets are a way worse team that is filled with drama, destruction and hype and they only got beat by 10. Right now, I don't think the jets could beat their d!cks. Packers have a shot at a win, they just need to be cohesive and focus.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I want the packers to win, I have my doubts about this game.
I see this game as a pivot point. We win, we put a gust of wind back in our sails and shut up the critics. We lose, we spiral out of control. We MUST win.
Yeah, that's exactly how I feel too.
Especially after watching what Houston did to the Jets in their own stadium.
And now we are going to Houston's turf.

I just hope that if anyone on the Texans, coach or player, gets some kind of terrible ailment, the Packers don't show their wimpy side by wearing T-Shirts or whatever.
Yes, it is classy. But at the same time, I think it's wimpy. They need to focus just on themselves and not on anyone else on any other team no matter what.
That may be selfish, but dammit! I want, no, need to see this team start to win again and it needs to start this Sunday!

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is going to have to be a serious turnaround if the Pack is to win this one. I don't see the spark in the eye or fire on the sideline I remember from two years ago. This years' edition of the Pack does not "feel" good to me, I am afraid they simply are not much better than a middle of the road team struggling to stay at that level. Boy how I hope I am wrong and they pull their heads out of their discount double checks and play some high level football Sunday night. My light will be on but my confidence is wavering.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe they need a motivational speaker or two right before the games?
Anyone here wanna volunteer?
Or play some recording of Lombardi. His words fit any Packers era anytime.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the pack wins this one,they are looking in the mirror at them selves they know they are playing bad some any way,I think we are spoiled a little bit they had a 15-1 season they've been in the playoffs so when theyanyway for me I expect them too win all the time they are in a slump and I think they will turn it around Texans will think they can walk over us but I don't think so Shileds and Hayward Hawk will show up just feel this is a win for the pack.

Pack_Attack_Is_Back

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a truly pessimistic fan, so I'm going to assume they lose this game. The only ray of light that I noticed this week, that I hadn't seen in previous weeks, is their willingness to admit there are some serious issues that need to be addressed.

Maybe that's a good sign..? *crossing fingers*

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way these two teams have been playing, I expect the Texans to win though I want the Packers to win.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ ha ha....I doubt half these youngsters even know who those guys are.
Yeah! I know who they are.
And I even know about Loggins and Messina.
(Maybe not the spelling? But I know your daddy don't dance and your mama don't rock-n-roll!)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will upset the Texans!!! Take that to the bank!!!
Wish I had faith in you Drew, but I can see Foster going for 230+ yards on us. We made Donald Young look good for God's sake. That ain't easy to do.
I miss Dez Bishop.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wish I had faith in you Drew, but I can see Foster going for 230+ yards on us. We made Donald Young look good for God's sake. That ain't easy to do.
I miss Dez Bishop.

And if BJ Raji is out too then Foster could run the ball right up our throats.

Texas is a solid team in all aspects. Running game, passing game, OL, pass rush, run defense, defensive secondary.

Packers meanwhile have given up tons of sacks, they frequently go missing for an entire half, their rejuvenated secondary got burned bad 2 weeks in a row, their best runner is out, bouts of poor play calling on MM's part, very very inconsistent play. It is hard for me to think this team is going to go into Houston and beat them in their house. All I can do is just keep the faith because I know that this team can be good--they can be great.

kiwitexansfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We Texans fans are nervous for this one based on Aaron Rodgers presence.

Also worried due to Cushing's absence in an already poor run defense.

Throw in Jonathon Joseph having his worst game as a Texan last week due to injury and we are less than confident, not to mention the Jets debacle.

Still with no Raji, I would hope we can pound the rock and control the clock and keep Rodgers out of the game.

Members online

Latest posts