Official Packers vs Saints thread

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A snake bitten packers take on a 0-3 team that hates the NFL as much as the packers do right now

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Going to be an interesting game ... given the start time, I assume we'll have Aikman/Buck??

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know whether I want to face a 3-0 Saints or an 0-3 Saints.
I do know this. They gave up a lot of points in all 3 games and lost to teams they would have rolled over last season. Keep the trend going just one more week. Drew, take it out on Frisco and the GMen when you play them.

SaintsWillWin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game may come down to which team is more pi$%ed at the league!!

Although on 2nd thought, the Saints have had the off-season to get a pretty good mad built up, and I haven't seen any signs of it!

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Ok, am done being mad at last Monday. Time to move on.

Hard to pick the next game. Saints are desperate. No Sean is a huge blow. But, GB team is reeling from the MNF debacle and may have a lack of focus. GB is on the edge of desperation.

The only reason I will predict a GB win is that the game is in GB. If it was in NO, I'd go the other way.

GB 34, NO 31

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ I doubt we can ring up that many points. If we do win, it will be more like 20-17....if we can hold them to that low of a score. Our sputtering offense has yet to get it in gear, so our 30+ points per game from last year is out the window.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We NEED to win and get on a roll. The offense has been below average at best. We have to play uptempo because thats what this team does best and what Rodgers is comfortable doing. MM doesn't need to slow down the game. Get back to Packer football this Sunday please. Come out with four wr's and Benson in the backfield and keep the no huddle the entire game.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ I doubt we can ring up that many points. If we do win, it will be more like 20-17....if we can hold them to that low of a score. Our sputtering offense has yet to get it in gear, so our 30+ points per game from last year is out the window.

Saints defense and more specifically, the secondary of the saints is terrible. It's the weak point of the team. Aaron should feast while looking like his old self.

Oddly enough the Packers defense is pretty good this year so expect Brees to continue to force the ball and for our defense to take advantage. Their o line is now shaky at best so we should see capers pressure early n often.

The X factor will be graham, as bad as the saints get its still a tough tough match up for anyone.

SaintsWillWin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At some point, the pieces of the puzzle for the Saints will come together and they will play a complete game; at least offensively. It may take our defense TWO games to have a complete game!!

At best, I am guardadly(?) optimistic about this game! It is still hard for me to get my head around that these 2 teams have combined for 1 win!

Last years game came down to turnovers; since Brees like to throw interceptions like they are Mardi Gra beads, that will be even more critical for the Saints.

Both teams will have to protect their QBs and get the ground game going.

SaintsWillWin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saints defense and more specifically, the secondary of the saints is terrible. It's the weak point of the team.

That is what concerns me most about this game.

Offensively, IF the Saints can get on track, they can hang with any team in football. If the Saints score 63 points, it won't matter if the defense gives up 64!

Before I forget my manners, I would like to extend an invitation to the best Saints fan forum: http://blackandgold.com/

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Saints defense and more specifically, the secondary of the saints is terrible. It's the weak point of the team. Aaron should feast while looking like his old self.

Oddly enough the Packers defense is pretty good this year so expect Brees to continue to force the ball and for our defense to take advantage. Their o line is now shaky at best so we should see capers pressure early n often.

The X factor will be graham, as bad as the saints get its still a tough tough match up for anyone.

True, he SHOULD feast on the saints secondary. That hasn't really happened yet, we look to out of sync to even face an 0-3 team.

Remember, the saints are VERY desperate to win. Do I think that we can win, yes indeed, but it will be a tough game. Our O-line can make any NFL defensive front look good. Prior to the monday bullsh*t game, seattles d-line was not good at all. They only had 2 sacks in 2 games, averaging one per game, now they lead the NFL in sacks after only ONE game vs the packers pathetic o-line.

"If" Rodgers has time, YES, he will pick them apart like a thanksgiving turkey. If the line fails and Arod is forced to scramble it will be a tough game.

I agree that our defense has turned it around big time since 2011. Our pass rush is there and our young DB's are making plays beyond their years.

Jimmy Graham will be the thorn in our side indeed. He is a mismatch for ANY DB that we have. His height and great hands make him trouble for us. We may have to bump the hell out of that guy and hit him hard to throw off his game.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, he SHOULD feast on the saints secondary. That hasn't really happened yet, we look to out of sync to even face an 0-3 team.

Remember, the saints are VERY desperate to win. Do I think that we can win, yes indeed, but it will be a tough game. Our O-line can make any NFL defensive front look good. Prior to the monday bullsh*t game, seattles d-line was not good at all. They only had 2 sacks in 2 games, averaging one per game, now they lead the NFL in sacks after only ONE game vs the packers pathetic o-line.

"If" Rodgers has time, YES, he will pick them apart like a thanksgiving turkey. If the line fails and Arod is forced to scramble it will be a tough game.

I agree that our defense has turned it around big time since 2011. Our pass rush is there and our young DB's are making plays beyond their years.

Jimmy Graham will be the thorn in our side indeed. He is a mismatch for ANY DB that we have. His height and great hands make him trouble for us. We may have to bump the hell out of that guy and hit him hard to throw off his game.

At least half the sacks were Rodgers fault for holding the ball too long. In addition, I would attribute several others to Bulaga who is a damn good player. I don't expect it to be that bad against the saints.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
That is what concerns me most about this game.

Offensively, IF the Saints can get on track, they can hang with any team in football. If the Saints score 63 points, it won't matter if the defense gives up 64!

Before I forget my manners, I would like to extend an invitation to the best Saints fan forum: http://blackandgold.com/

Nice to see an opposing fan that isnt a troll. Thanks for the invite, but I will only view as a guest.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here is McGinn's analysis of the Saints is up on jsonline:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packfoe27-b470qte-171452551.html

Both teams should have a sense of desperation about this game but I not sure how long past the opening kickoff that makes any difference. Brees is still an amazing QB so I'm anxious to see how the Packers' DBs cover. McGinn says the Saints OGs are great but their OTs struggle so he shouldn't have all day to pass. Still this will be another test for the D, particularly the LBs, Shields (to keep up his so-far great play), McMillian, and Hayward.

McGinn says even their title-winning D didn't have a lot of talent but Gregg Williams' wholesale blitzing made up for that by forcing a lot of turnovers. Their new DC doesn't blitz as much - but that may change Sunday since after 3 games they're tied for 30th in points surrendered, opponents' passer rating is 101.2 and opponents are averaging almost 14 yards per completion. I hope we see an imitation of the Packers' 2011 D from the Saints and all that has to happen for that to come true is they keep playing D as they have so far this season.

As I read through the column the thing that really hit me was the difference in how their GM has built the Saints vs. how Thompson has directed the Packers. Not only moves like trading up 28 spots to take Mark Ingram (McGinn speculates the Packers may have taken the RB at 32 rather than Sherrod if he were still on the board), but also how their top picks from 2008 to 2011 have impacted the team. Also, reading some of the guaranteed money they spent on UFAs is more evidence of the perils of that philosophy.

McCarthy divides the season up into quarters, so a win Sunday puts them even during the first quarter, arguably the most difficult. Saints' bad D combined with the Packers much improved D should result in a comfortable Packers victory IMO. Should.

Who would have thought that even after just 3 games, the Packers would be tied for 26th in scoring offense at 19 ppg? And counting the points legitimately scored against the Packers, that they'd be 4th in the league in scoring D at 15.7 ppg? (Even adding the TD granted by the incompetents, they're tied for 7th.)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jimmy Graham, at 6-8+ is a challege.
Darren Sproles, at 5-3, is a challenge.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Redskins, and Panthers only win of the season so far was against these guys.
Jimmy Graham only had 16 yards receiving last week.

Their receivers aren't that great, but they're capable of hurting us if Brees has time.
I have faith in Matthews, Perry, Walden, and Desmond Moses that Brees won't often have enough time.

We're a lot light on Ints this year.
I expect at least 2, which is rare that we get a lot of picks against GOOD QBs.

While I am usually of the pessimistic variety, I see us winning by at least 10.
Packers 35
Saints 20

SaintsWillWin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see this game as a blowout, but if it is, I fear it will be in favor of the Packers. Maybe not as bad as Giants-Panthers, but close.

If the Saints manage a win, I feel it will be by one score, maybe 31-24 or 24-21.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think the Packers need to start their first series of the game just like they did the second half of the Seahawk game. Run the ball a few times to keep the defense honest.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers need to start their first series of the game just like they did the second half of the Seahawk game. Run the ball a few times to keep the defense honest.

I'll just bet you that the Packers' first play will be a short pass, something less than 3 seconds for ROdgers to get rid of the ball (the average time he held the ball for his 8 sacks was around 3.5 seconds). Then they'll transition to the run and start setting up play-action.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If the Packers offense isn’t much improved Sunday I think it will be “officially” (or perhaps “unofficially officially” ;)) time to worry about it going forward. And not only because the Saints D has been bad so far against both the pass and run. I don’t know if this has been discussed here but one element contributing to the Packers’ struggles on O is the replacement refs not calling contact with receivers beyond 5 yards and not consistently calling pass interference. That’s certainly not their only problem but that’s a contributing one for an offense which relies so heavily on the passing game and particularly on timing routes. Conversely if the Packers D doesn’t look as good as it has the presence of the real refs along with a dynamic offense will have something to do with that.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing I'm looking forward to (Besides the Pack being back on Sunday, finally!) are having the real, pro. refs back.
The scabs have been picked and flushed down the toilet with the rest of the s***.

Members online

Latest posts