Official Packers vs Lions round 2

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This truly has been an odd season of football so far.

Equally odd for the Packers as well. On Paper, most Packer fans see a 9-2 team but not on the field. By most standards 7-4 is decent record, but we haven't been playing like a 7-4 team the last 6-7 weeks. So this one is anyone's game IMO.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
This game is an interesting one for me. Our defense has been playing great. Our run game has been on point. Even our special teams has been showing up. Obviously our passing game is ugly, but WHY? We have the best quarterback in the league with all the same weapons (besides one) we had as the leading passing offense in the NFL one season prior. Jordy Nelson would not and does not make THIS signficant of a difference. This is not a team who relies on one receiver. Aaron Rodger's history shows success with multiple recievers and often 5-6 different passing targets averaged per game. This issue will not be resolved until they determine what exactly the problem is and address it. Is it Tom Clements or lack of Mike McCarthey? Is Rodger's too much in his own head? Do the receiver's really not know how to catch a football? They have 48 hours to figure out the problem and address it. If not, the edge goes to the Lions in this one. They are getting hot. Packers are getting ice cold.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game is an interesting one for me. They have 48 hours to figure out the problem and address it. If not, the edge goes to the Lions in this one. They are getting hot. Packers are getting ice cold.

There in lies the problem...it seems the mojo is missing. Lions have every reason to believe they have a shot at sweeping us. Coming off the bye our only win has been against the Vikings. It makes no sense to me, something happened and no one knows what. Hoping the Packers can snap out of it.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The key is that Detroit really has been playing right now like a team with nothing to lose. I also think that with all the shakeups that went on with the Lions this season, the players may be playing for Caldwell's job perhaps knowing Detroit has traditionally been a coach's graveyard, they may be trying to keep him for next year.

I think if we're going to win Thursday, we gotta play with a sense of urgency and play like the playoffs have started now. If we can win in Minny, we can win here, but our players gotta get the message that it's not going to come easy like in years past, we're going to have to earn this one and it's all gotta start Thursday night in MoTown.

Reaction score
Fixing a stagnant Offense is like kicking a bad cold. It won't happen overnight. we need to go to battle to kick it.
Keys to victory:
-Limit penalties, especially on special teams returns where holding can turn into 30+yard penalties.
-Take care of the football especially on YAC plays where we are prone to having it punched out
-Receivers Keeping our eyes on the ball until it is secured firmly (rather than pulling our heads before the catch is made)
-Keeping the RBs involved in the short passing game (5-10 yards)
-hitting more plays with TEs at the 1st down marker rather at 3 yards.
-short passes on 1st down rather than the predictable run between the Tackles
- Having a designed, expedited and immediate QB sneak without huddle inside a 4th n 1 (on a 1 count) if we are past midfield and outside their 35.
-Rushing 5 whenever they are inside their own 10 yard line.
- If we get into position to go up 10+ points score hit an onside kick on the ensuing
-anytime we are tempted to rush 3 (3rd n long etc..) rush 6
We've been playing conservative, playing not to lose ball. It's time to create our destiny and set the tone. The playoffs start Thursday
PS. Retire the poorly designed screen behind the LOS with no blockers.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The lions were a 11 win playoff team a year ago. they still have a lot of talent on that team and much like the packers are capable of playing very good football when things are clicking. I'd say they're consistently a team that does less with more, but it doesn't mean they can't put it together for a couple games.

D

Deleted member 6794

If we can win in Minny, we can win here, but our players gotta get the message that it's not going to come easy like in years past, we're going to have to earn this one and it's all gotta start Thursday night in MoTown.

The Packers have lost two in a row at Detroit.

The Packers have only run between the tackles on 16.7% of their first downs.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Lions fixed their stagnant offense by firing their offensive coordinator. If you have noticed since Lombardi left they have been playing balls out on offense.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to see Clements go with a 70% run / 30% pass mix. Take the ball out of the hands of Rodgers and the receivers and just start smashing the ball down opponents' throats. I know that this team can do that. Lacy and Starks are capable of rushing for 200+ yards in a game and it would ease up the expectations on the receivers.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. The backups in 2010 either were better than the starters (Bishop) or had (their only) career years. Heck, even Bush played actual CB and only gave up one TD in the Super Bowl. :)

The backups to Ryan Grant weren't better than him. Remember how bad Brandon Jackson looked for us?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fixing a stagnant Offense is like kicking a bad cold. It won't happen overnight. we need to go to battle to kick it.
Keys to victory:
-Limit penalties, especially on special teams returns where holding can turn into 30+yard penalties.
-Take care of the football especially on YAC plays where we are prone to having it punched out
-Receivers Keeping our eyes on the ball until it is secured firmly (rather than pulling our heads before the catch is made)
-Keeping the RBs involved in the short passing game (5-10 yards)
-hitting more plays with TEs at the 1st down marker rather at 3 yards.
- Having a designed, expedited and immediate QB sneak without huddle inside a 4th n 1 (on a 1 count) if we are past midfield and outside their 35.
-Rushing 5 whenever they are inside their own 10 yard line.
- If we get into position to go up 10+ points score hit an onside kick on the ensuing
-anytime we are tempted to rush 3 (3rd n long etc..) rush 6
We've been playing conservative, playing not to lose ball. It's time to create our destiny and set the tone. The playoffs start Thursday
PS. Retire the poorly designed screen behind the LOS with no blockers.

Slip differential, transfer power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip. With our offense we need to emphasize the parts that are working. Don't be afraid to run it 30-35 times a game if the run game is working.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to see Clements go with a 70% run / 30% pass mix. Take the ball out of the hands of Rodgers and the receivers and just start smashing the ball down opponents' throats. I know that this team can do that. Lacy and Starks are capable of rushing for 200+ yards in a game and it would ease up the expectations on the receivers.
I like this idea. If we can get Lacy TRULY back to the beast that we all know he is, I like this team a whole lot more.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers injury report:

Out: Ty Montgomery

Questionable: Bryan Bulaga, T.J. Lang, Corey Linsley, Damarious Randall, JC Tretter

Probable: Jared Abbrederis, Demetri Goodson, Micah Hyde, Nate Palmer, Josh Sitton

Randall suffered a hamstring injury while Tretter hurt his ankle during today's practice.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's nice to see both centers on the questionable list a day before the game

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have for sure been banged up but so far have only lost five players for the entire season, which is a pretty low number for week 12.

Might almost be semantics - I'd say several players not on IR have been lost for the season. :unsure:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
No Montgomery and the offensive line is banged up. I wish I had something to hang my hat on here but I see more of the same that we've been seeing lately. On the other side Detroit is playing some good ball and we haven't done well there lately. I like Detroit + the 3 on the "fast track".

A couple more weeks like this and we lose our relevance. Maybe it's time to get a top ten draft pick cause that all TT likes to do is draft.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point, Montgomery hasn't been around long enough that it's not a loss that he's out again. I'm starting to doubt we see him until next season.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well i'm not hanging my hat on Abbrederis or Janis making a big impact for us right now to magically make things better . I hope they prove me wrong but I don't see it. If we lose this game with the schedule we have ahead mine as well just "pull the plug" on Montgomery and maybe the season.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are unpredicatable at this point. No clue what team will show up from game to game. All we can do is put on our cheesehead, throw up a shoutout to Lombardi and hope for the best Packer team to take the field that night/day.

Members online

Latest posts